Are YOU a fanboy?

Demoli

I would probably say I'm a Sonic fanboy. When I unlocked Sonic in Super Smash Brothers Brawl, I only used him for a while. He ended up being the longest-used character in my file. (I main Ness now, though.)

Also, a LOT of people bash the Sonic series, and it really hurts for me to see this happening. Why do people bash Sonic so much? They always think their opinion is fact, and I hate it when they do that! :wall:

The truth is, the Sonic games are very underrated, ESPECIALLY the Sonic Advance series, the Sonic Rush series, and Sonic Heroes. Those were the best Sonic games ever IMO, but the other games are not that bad either. They were only mediocre at worst. The ONLY bad Sonic game was Sonic 06, and even then, I don't mind if anyone say it was good. (Because everyone is allowed an opinion, except for the haters obviously. )

Not only that, but they also bash Sonic X, the anime as well. Luckily, most of those bashers are the ones that bash the 4Kids version (which, indeed, was horrid). The Japanese version was awesome, and, unfortunately, many people don't realize that. :(

So yeah, those are the reasons why I'm a Sonic fanboy. \'

I used to be a Sonic fanboy, I sort of am now, I still watch the occasional episode of Sonic X, but Shadow the Hedgehog was when I said "[bleep] you Sonic Team" because that game was one of the worst things I ever played and ruined my favorite character.

hatsune-miku-wallpaper-49-1.jpg

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would probably say I'm a Sonic fanboy. When I unlocked Sonic in Super Smash Brothers Brawl, I only used him for a while. He ended up being the longest-used character in my file. (I main Ness now, though.)

Also, a LOT of people bash the Sonic series, and it really hurts for me to see this happening. Why do people bash Sonic so much? They always think their opinion is fact, and I hate it when they do that! :wall:

The truth is, the Sonic games are very underrated, ESPECIALLY the Sonic Advance series, the Sonic Rush series, and Sonic Heroes. Those were the best Sonic games ever IMO, but the other games are not that bad either. They were only mediocre at worst. The ONLY bad Sonic game was Sonic 06, and even then, I don't mind if anyone say it was good. (Because everyone is allowed an opinion, except for the haters obviously. )

Not only that, but they also bash Sonic X, the anime as well. Luckily, most of those bashers are the ones that bash the 4Kids version (which, indeed, was horrid). The Japanese version was awesome, and, unfortunately, many people don't realize that. :(

I used to be a Sonic fanboy, I sort of am now, I still watch the occasional episode of Sonic X, but Shadow the Hedgehog was when I said "[bleep] you Sonic Team" because that game was one of the worst things I ever played and ruined my favorite character.

I agree with you, but for different reasons.

It's just that Shadow is my least favorite character in the Sonic series, so I didn't enjoy that game much. In fact I find it weird that Shadow carries a gun. It's just not that great of an idea IMO.

Shadow really should have just died from the series completely. Knuckles is much better as a rival than Shadow is, and Sonic, Silver, Amy, hell even Metal Sonic are cooler/better/more personality hedgehog characters than Shadow is. I'm just glad he wasn't a playable character in SSBB.

Also, Shadow fanboys/fangirls just make it worse with their fanart. -.-

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

Sonic Advance and the Rush series are both solid. I really enjoyed Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 as well, even though they had the worst camera control ever contrived by man.

Any sonic game afterwords that hasn't been confined to a handheld thus far has sucked terribly though. Sonic Heroes probably was an average game, but nothing compared to the older ones.

A lot of people feel like after Sonic 2 sonic died, which there is a little bit of truth to that one too. I guess just being a huge fan of the saturn/dreamcast though that I have a soft spot for the sonic games on those.

Sonic Advance and the Rush series are both solid. I really enjoyed Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 as well, even though they had the worst camera control ever contrived by man.

Any sonic game afterwords that hasn't been confined to a handheld thus far has sucked terribly though. Sonic Heroes probably was an average game, but nothing compared to the older ones.

A lot of people feel like after Sonic 2 sonic died, which there is a little bit of truth to that one too. I guess just being a huge fan of the saturn/dreamcast though that I have a soft spot for the sonic games on those.

Sonic 2 was FAR from the best Sonic game, in my opinion. After the Sonic Advance and Rush series came, they TRUMPED it.

And I loved Sonic Heroes as a 3D game, but that's just my opinion. Also Super Mario Galaxy has worse camera than Sonic Adventure 1 and 2. Again, opinion.

Sonic Riders and Zero Gravity were okay as racing games. Sonic and the Secret Rings has some awkward controls, but other than that it is pretty solid. Shadow the Hedgehog wasn't as great IMO, the gameplay feels weirder than other Sonic games (obviously because it's about Shadow). Sonic 06 was way too glitchy. I haven't played Sonic Unleashed or Sonic and the Black Knight yet, but I soon will.

Sonic has had some good 3D games, for sure. I did like Sonic Heroes. But the 2D games were much better, in my opinion.

Yep, you're kinda right to an extent. The oldest games are overshadowed by some of the newest ones, but that's just what I think.

In fact, just about every series has excellent old games but overshadowed by the new ones.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

And I loved Sonic Heroes as a 3D game, but that's just my opinion. Also Super Mario Galaxy has worse camera than Sonic Adventure 1 and 2. Again, opinion.

Well at least I know why you named yourself Sonic. No amount of personal bias could somehow think the camera in Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 were anything but terrible. At the very least camera control has advanced a lot since the dreamcast.

I understand this is in a fanboy thread, so at least you're true to the nature, but holy hell man, have you played either of the Sonic Adventures recently? Trust me, I have fond memories of the games (I've actually played through the 1st a few times, which is quite something.) but the camera controls were terrible. (almost as bad as the voice acting).

Also Sonic 2 really was the best sonic. The rush series is decent, but the newer rush one that incorporated that weird jetski mechanic was pretty boring. There is no way they can trump the older one though, sorry.

Is Sonic Riders = Sonic R (for the saturn)? I only remember if by Sonic R back in the day. If so it was a pretty amusing game back in the day, because it was sonics first intro into 3D (Minus the isometric Sonic Blast which was actually pretty fun I thought).

---

Of course typing all this I have to wonder, how old are you? This really is not a derogatory thing, but I almost think like some of us have outgrown sonic. Granted, the older games were pretty much always better, but Sonic def has a new audience now than he used to.

I think Silver is stupid. Shadow is much cooler, he's more badass then knuckles, but has a soft side. He's the quintessential bad guy on the good guys side. And I always like these type of characters, which I just started to notice. The Punisher, Sam Fisher, Shadow, they are all dark characters on the good side and I love these characters.

I guess I just can side with the people who are very dark and violent but do it for a good cause.

Well at least I know why you named yourself Sonic. No amount of personal bias could somehow think the camera in Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 were anything but terrible. At the very least camera control has advanced a lot since the dreamcast.

I understand this is in a fanboy thread, so at least you're true to the nature, but holy hell man, have you played either of the Sonic Adventures recently? Trust me, I have fond memories of the games (I've actually played through the 1st a few times, which is quite something.) but the camera controls were terrible. (almost as bad as the voice acting).

Also Sonic 2 really was the best sonic. The rush series is decent, but the newer rush one that incorporated that weird jetski mechanic was pretty boring. There is no way they can trump the older one though, sorry.

Is Sonic Riders = Sonic R (for the saturn)? I only remember if by Sonic R back in the day. If so it was a pretty amusing game back in the day, because it was sonics first intro into 3D (Minus the isometric Sonic Blast which was actually pretty fun I thought).

---

Of course typing all this I have to wonder, how old are you? This really is not a derogatory thing, but I almost think like some of us have outgrown sonic. Granted, the older games were pretty much always better, but Sonic def has a new audience now than he used to.

I'm not saying the camera is good. The cameras in those games were indeed awful, but I think that the Mario 3D games has worse camera as well.

And again, it is MY opinion, I have nothing against your opinions, I'm just putting mine up there. I thought the Sonic Advance series were a better version of the earliest Sonics, and the Sonic Rush series just made it better. (In fact, I like the boat mechanism in Sonic Rush Adventure - it puts linearity aside for a bit and exploration is required to get to the Hidden Islands.)

Sonic Riders isn't Sonic R. It is that game where they introduced those 3 Babylon Rogues. They were called Jet, Wave, and Storm. This racing game is basically you race on this surfboard-thingy. I played this game on the PS2 before, and I don't really like the mechanism. But hey, someone else may think differently.

My username for Runescape (NOT Tip it) is created when I was 11. I'm 13 now. I really was a rabid fanboy back then. It kinda died off me now, but I still like playing Sonic games. I haven't really grown out of it. I play SSBB now though, which would explain why the fanboyism died off.

And the new "audience" is filled with people talking crap about how the Sonic games were awful. #-o

I think Silver is stupid. Shadow is much cooler, he's more badass then knuckles, but has a soft side. He's the quintessential bad guy on the good guys side. And I always like these type of characters, which I just started to notice. The Punisher, Sam Fisher, Shadow, they are all dark characters on the good side and I love these characters.

I guess I just can side with the people who are very dark and violent but do it for a good cause.

I guess it's probably because I dislike characters with no personality. <.<

Sonic has the speed and Chaos Control, Silver has pyschic powers (is it spelled right?), Amy has the Piko-Piko hammer and chases after Sonic :P , Knuckles guards the Master Emerald, Blaze guards the Sol Emeralds, Tails is the smart machine kid and Sonic's sidekick, and Cream has Cheese.

Shadow... all he has is a gun, all he is is a carbon copy of Sonic, and all he thinks about is "Who am I?". He has no purpose in the Sonic series AT ALL. -.-

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

I'm 13 now.

See, I think this is why you prefer the newer ones. You didn't play Sonic 2, or any of the genesis versions, when you were a kid. I mean you were born 4 years after the release of Sonic 2 afterall.

(if you're curious, I'm 21)

This isn't me trying to put any bias against you due to your age, but you fit the age group in which Sega is marketing the new sonic games to.

On the shadow thing, I didn't really like him. I much preferred Chaos as a villain compared to him. Any sort of weird, moral ambiguity they were trying to throw out with shadow is completely necessary in a game like Sonic. Chaos was cool because he was able to really show off the power of the Dreamcast with some of the badass cutscenes. :D

Metal sonic is badass as well.

--

Speaking of the best sonic though, I think I have to retract my thing about Sonic 2 and say that Sonic CD is, indeed, the best sonic game ever made. Incredible time travel mechanics, an awesome villain and some incredible level design, art and music. So yeah, if there is any sonic game that needs more praise it is Sonic CD.

I'm 13 now.

See, I think this is why you prefer the newer ones. You didn't play Sonic 2, or any of the genesis versions, when you were a kid. I mean you were born 4 years after the release of Sonic 2 afterall.

(if you're curious, I'm 21)

This isn't me trying to put any bias against you due to your age, but you fit the age group in which Sega is marketing the new sonic games to.

On the shadow thing, I didn't really like him. I much preferred Chaos as a villain compared to him. Any sort of weird, moral ambiguity they were trying to throw out with shadow is completely necessary in a game like Sonic. Chaos was cool because he was able to really show off the power of the Dreamcast with some of the badass cutscenes. :D

Metal sonic is badass as well.

--

Speaking of the best sonic though, I think I have to retract my thing about Sonic 2 and say that Sonic CD is, indeed, the best sonic game ever made. Incredible time travel mechanics, an awesome villain and some incredible level design, art and music. So yeah, if there is any sonic game that needs more praise it is Sonic CD.

What's wrong in belonging to the age group in which the new Sonic games were released? If you like a game, then you like a game. If you don't like a game, then you don't like a game. If you were born in the old Genesis era, yes people will have different opinions than those born in the SNES/GBA era. But they are still opinions, nevertheless.

Honestly, there isn't a "best game ever". Personal preference has a HUGE factor in this. This is what most of the bashers of Sonic games don't understand. You like Sonic CD the best, well good for you. I like Sonic Advance 3 the best, good for me. But don't go bashing both of them and say they both suck. It's wrong.

And Chaos is cool too. :)

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

All I am going to say is, if you have played Sonic originals like I have (I'm 15, and I loved the originals) and Nads and probably half this forum has you would see what they have done with Sonic. It's the same as Mario just way worse. They're barely making the original kind of games and they're milking Sonic as much as a hedgehog can be milked.

The new games have nothing to do with old Sonic, you could just flop a name on like Jack and the Black Knight. ...But noone would buy it, because its not about Sonic. And kids love sonic.

I dont need a siggy no moar.

All I am going to say is, if you have played Sonic originals like I have (I'm 15, and I loved the originals) and Nads and probably half this forum has you would see what they have done with Sonic. It's the same as Mario just way worse. They're barely making the original kind of games and they're milking Sonic as much as a hedgehog can be milked.

The new games have nothing to do with old Sonic, you could just flop a name on like Jack and the Black Knight. ...But noone would buy it, because its not about Sonic. And kids love sonic.

Just because they are spinoffs doesn't mean the games were bad though. This is what way too many people think. Everyone has an opinion.

Which is why I said that Sonic games are way underrated.

But yeah, I would love to see a Sonic original remade. I never played them before, and they should probably make a remake of them on the DS, with Sonic Advance 3 style graphics. They should probably also remake the Sonic Advance series as well.

And don't worry, I'm not one of those kids that buy every single Sonic game and go "ITS AWSUM@@@" and 10/10 all of them. I actually judge my games carefully, which is why I didn't really bother to buy the second Sonic Riders (IMO the mechanism wasn't very good). I've never actually played Sonic and the Black Knight, but I probably might try if I have the time. I would say in average (note the keywords - IN AVERAGE) the Sonic games are 9/10 at best, and 5/10 at worst.

Of course, I don't mind if someone rates it a 10/10. It's their preference. But please, anyone who rates them below a 5/10 is simply a hater. This brings us to the second line I brought up.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

[hide=sonic cycle]154862z8qlw1.jpg[/hide]

This is exactly why Sonic's community is the worst. :wall:

People never learn to have an opinion, they just get disappointed at games.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Its not that new Sonic games are bad (critics dont like them anyway) its that they are milking the name Sonic to get kids into buying their games, even though they are way off original.

Its not that new Sonic games are bad (critics dont like them anyway) its that they are milking the name Sonic to get kids into buying their games, even though they are way off original.

Oh, I see. It's just like Mario somehow. (Sonic and the Black Knight, Super Mario Galaxy... hmm I think we have a pattern here!)

I don't see why they have to let KIDS by them and only make them happy. It's the same thing with Brawl - Sakurai leaned towards the casual players a bit too much, and most of the Melee veterans are quite upset. (Not that I dislike Brawl, in fact it's my favorite game.)

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

SAKURAI!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah he did, because they didnt intend on SSBM to be competitive. However, both are equally competitive and both have rather different playing styles. One takes more skill but another takes more patience.

SAKURAI!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah he did, because they didnt intend on SSBM to be competitive. However, both are equally competitive and both have rather different playing styles. One takes more skill but another takes more patience.

SSBB isn't as competitive as SSBM though. SSBB favors defensive play, SSBM favors a mix of both the offensive and the defensive. SSB64 favors offense only.

I really don't want to start a debate about SSBB's competitive play. :wall:

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Oh, I see. It's just like Mario somehow. (Sonic and the Black Knight, Super Mario Galaxy... hmm I think we have a pattern here!)

I don't see why they have to let KIDS by them and only make them happy. It's the same thing with Brawl - Sakurai leaned towards the casual players a bit too much, and most of the Melee veterans are quite upset. (Not that I dislike Brawl, in fact it's my favorite game.)

Super Mario galaxy is in no way compared to Sonic and Black knight, don't see how you see any pattern.

Also, i'd like to see a 8-year old get all 242 stars.

It's not the fact that people don't have an opinion, it is the plain and simple fact that Sonic The Hedgehog (360) was a giant piece of [cabbage]. Sonic Unleashed is just a plain piece of [cabbage]. Sure it has it's good points but I still find the prospect of a werehog [developmentally delayed]ed and totally unnecessary. I personally think Sonic team needs to quit. The series is dead, I don't think there is a hope of a good Sonic game on a console unless somebody else took over.

Neither do I, but SSBB is underrated in competitive play, usually by melee vets who hate it because 1tz n0t c00l

Most definitely. Especially the people on GameFAQS, worst community ever.

Super Mario galaxy is in no way compared to Sonic and Black knight, don't see how you see any pattern.

They both create spinoff games, that's my point. They both in NO WAY relate to the originals.

It's not the fact that people don't have an opinion, it is the plain and simple fact that Sonic The Hedgehog (360) was a giant piece of [cabbage]. Sonic Unleashed is just a plain piece of [cabbage]. Sure it has it's good points but I still find the prospect of a werehog [developmentally delayed] and totally unnecessary. I personally think Sonic team needs to quit. The series is dead, I don't think there is a hope of a good Sonic game on a console unless somebody else took over.

You're a basher. You're DEFINITELY a basher.

Please get out of this thread. RIGHT NOW. :x

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

They both create spinoff games, that's my point. They both in NO WAY relate to the originals.

The difference is Core mario games actually harten back o the originals, improve them, and become outstanding games.

Sonic games on the other hand, rarely harten back t the originals (only the day levels in unleashed recently) and sonic overall ism't quite possible in a 3d environment. For speed, 2d is the best, specially in a platformer, where the 3d environments require exploration, something speed doesnt provide and sega/sonic team only realised pretty much now.

[hide=Quotes]

[/hide]

The difference is Core mario games actually harten back o the originals, improve them, and become outstanding games.

Sonic games on the other hand, rarely harten back t the originals (only the day levels in unleashed recently) and sonic overall ism't quite possible in a 3d environment. For speed, 2d is the best, specially in a platformer, where the 3d environments require exploration, something speed doesnt provide and sega/sonic team only realised pretty much now.

You're right about the Mario games, however the camera lacks BIG TIME. (Especially underwater levels, I can't stand them.)

Sonic Heroes demonstrated a 3D game well, and also relates to the originals somewhat. It's just kind of linear, but isn't nearly ALL the 2D Sonics like that? Also the team gimmick is basically a better version of Sonic Advance 3's team system, because it is more useful in 3D.

However, if they REALLY were to make more 3D Sonic games, they should make racing games. In fact they are currently making "Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing", I hope it turns out to be better than Mario Kart and F-Zero. :)

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Sonic Heroes demonstrated a 3D game well, and also relates to the originals somewhat. It's just kind of linear, but isn't nearly ALL the 2D Sonics like that? Also the team gimmick is basically a better version of Sonic Advance 3's team system, because it is more useful in 3D.

However, if they REALLY were to make more 3D Sonic games, they should make racing games. In fact they are currently making "Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing", I hope it turns out to be better than Mario Kart and F-Zero. :)

But there it is, when you compare games like sonic heroes (wich is a decent game) to the other games of the genre (sunshime at the time) it clearly lacks. The speed isnt enough like the genesis era and when they try to place a gimmick they just make it worse (yes, i though team based levels was decent, but werehogs and black knights no)

Also, about the Racing, i wouldnt get my hopes up, looks like a rip off super mario kart with finishers/specials, and f-zero is not a party game, its a real racing game, cant be compared to Mario Kart/Sega racing.