To get 91 runecrafting or 99 defence..

JJG

So, after playing for the last few months after coming back i'm bored again, soloing sara got screwed so I didn't know what to do, so.... I decided i'd grind a skill for a while seeing how I haven't done it since 80,000 Fire Waves (or so) for 99 mage over a year ago.

So, I decided i'd go for either 91 rc or 99 def.

-Both require 5.7m exp (give or take 100k exp either way) from current levels.

-Both will be repetitive and boring

-Both will take a long time

-Both up to the level won't make or break too much cash (as far as I can tell)

However:

99 def:

-Another step closer to maxing tank stats

-I'm a 'defnub'

-Can do it whilst watching films at either of a choice of spots

-I don't have piety unlocked and don't plan to for the time being as it'll tip me out of 70 att/str and for the time being i'm happy with them there

91 rc:

-Will be a nice bread-and-honey maker

-Think I have to pay more attention to level..

So, help me make choices!

-What's the xp/hr for either of these?

-Bear in mind my attack and strength are only 70 (tanking)

-I am only 53 rc at the moment, so what route do I take to level it up?

-Best places for doing either of these?

-Money I can expect to gain/lose on the route?

-These will both take me a logn time as I don't play meticulously or in large amounts.

Thanks for any of the answers or insights you may provide :)

JJ_G.gif

You seem like you want to do a skill that you find boring or not very fun (wanting to watch movies a the same time). Why not find a way of doing either that you enjoy, so it won't seem like it takes so long? For the defence, i would suggest slaing, as you will make a fair amount of money before hitting 99 defence, and it will be much more enjoyable than gridning away on one spot.

If you insist on an easy training spot, i'd suggest something like Armoured zombies or Zombie monkeys, which will both offer at least 80k/h if you do them right. Both should have some guides on them in the AOW forums somwhere.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

You seem like you want to do a skill that you find boring or not very fun (wanting to watch movies a the same time). Why not find a way of doing either that you enjoy, so it won't seem like it takes so long? For the defence, i would suggest slaing, as you will make a fair amount of money before hitting 99 defence, and it will be much more enjoyable than gridning away on one spot.

If you insist on an easy training spot, i'd suggest something like Armoured zombies or Zombie monkeys, which will both offer at least 80k/h if you do them right. Both should have some guides on them in the AOW forums somwhere.

The first point is very true, it may seem like that however after playing for around 6 years i've got a bit bored with it all and maybe grinding a skill and aiming for somethign might give me some incentive to aim for and it'll mean i'll actually get something done rather than just:

-log on

-look at bank

-sell something

-buy something

-log off

Yeah...

Also, forgot to mention (but now edited into my first post) I don't have piety unlocked and don't plan to as if I do, the exp reward will tip me out of 70 att and str which for the time being I don't want to do, however, I didn't realise the melee exp was quite so high, might look into that...

Thanks for the post!

JJ_G.gif

I say defence if you want to train while watching tv like you said because runecrafting requires paying attention and other things. If you want fast xp get the salve ammy(e) and go to armoured zombies with a whip. I got around 85k+ xp there using salve(e), super pots and piety and made around 7-9m from 94 defence. I also got 450+ blue charms from 94-99 defence at those. they require little attention because they auto attack you for awile and there is an alter next to them so you can pray the entire time if you want to speed up kills. But, if you want to get 91 rc instead then make nature runes with a graahk if you can( i forgot your stats) or go to the zmi alter for the fastest xp.

If you are about 75 rc and higher, you should be getting between 30k - 40k per hour at the ZMI, and you do make money at the ZMI starting from about high 60's. Also keep in mind that doing natures will bring in more profit than the ZMI, but you get faster xp at ZMI. 91 RC is the highest money making SKILL in the game so that is a nice little incentive to get it.

As for defense, if you have enough money to get guthan, or already have it, then training at bandits is "afk-able", if thats what you are looking for.

goro_fujita.png

It's not really the AFK-ability of something, it's more about the speed, so for example, as far as I can see for melee monkey skeletons just edge armoured zombies (I think) but for rcing I really don't know the route to take, i'm only 53 rc at the moment but plan to hit it hard if I go for it, just how is the problem... What about GOP? I'll read up on that then see what i'll do..

JJ_G.gif

It's funny you have the same goals I had like 2 years ago.

I'd say go with the defence.. don't look at my sig... :oops: I swear I am not biased ::'

But to be completely honest I don't see you getting 91 rc from 53. I started at 65 and you see how far I've gotten... 10 levels. Now it's true I do not know you or anything about how patient you are or this or that.. but I do know that I am not the least patient person in the world.. and I do have a good drive.. but I burnt out after 10 levels.. well I just found better things to do..

If you play the way you say you do bored as hell... you will probably be like me and burn out in 10 or so levels... you may even make it to the 70's who knows but if you feel bored than you probably will be bored until you eventually give it up for awhile. So I say go ahead and do defence.

One more thing... if I haven't already proven my point. It's alot easier to get back into defence training than it is RC training.. if you leave and break from RS for a few days/weeks/months and come then back that is... at least it seemed like it for me.

Apparently, my signature was to big.

Judging by your post you should do neither.

Think of what you actually enjoy and do that.

But if you had to decide, you seem to want to just get passive levels that take no actual work, in that case defence.

Bdvo89.png

OL' SCHOOL CIRCA '01, YOU MAD BRO?

Think my plan is going to be.

53rc->75rc

93def->96def

etc.

Bit of each..

And with that in mind, Thanks for all your help!

JJ_G.gif

You need a motive to get them if you don't have that then don't do 91 rc it's a huge commitment over a long period of time, it's getting rcing into your scape routine really 3k essence a day or something along those lines.

It most definately pays to have 91 rc and opens the door to virtually every other skill, defence is ok but not as respected you should make the decision yourself though you know what you truely want to do.

smellysockssigbyblfazer.png