QuestRanker

Tritous

NEWS!! Version 5 out now!

- name changing support

- partial name matching when searching for members

- automatic case correction when inputting

- easier interface using escape for aborts and enter to confirm

I've put together (for my own usage, but I thought I may as well share it) a program for helping clans to quickly maintain ranked tables of quests in their clans. I can speak from the success of my own that having a list like that naturally increases the motivation as people compete, aim for the proud top, or try to escape the shameful bottom.

The main point of the ranker is to format the list in a nice format for common BBS forums and as such it uses the BBCode which is standard across the internet. It's fairly strictly locked into the format I chose for my clan, and while I doubt you'll object to the layout I plan to upload the 3 source codes for the program in case anyone wants to tweak it, or if the compiled [Caution: Executable File] is not compatible with their machine (since I use 64bit). Since it's just a throwtogether it's not heavily commented.

"]QuestRanker 5.3.1 Working App (Xp64)

note: the above was just the first free hosting site i could find offhand. If someone knows a better host feel free to tell me, or if anyone wants to host it themselves you can. There is nothing personal in the program so it's freely distributable.

I hope this proves of help to someone other than just me. It may be a little buggy now (my fault for rushing it in a morning off) but meh

USAGE

Make sure your current data (a sample is provided) is saved as "input.txt"

the title lines for the sections are the tags read by the program so make sure it follows format.

run the program in the same directory as the input file and follow the prompt

output can be saved back into the same file ready for copying or for loading in future

Sample Outputs

text output

[b][u]GRANDMASTERS : QUEST CAPERS : 287 QP[/b][/u]

D'OR KADAR

HORON

KINGOYRAMID

SLIJV1

[b]MASTERS : 250+ QP:[/b]

001 : 286qp : REYMASTER100

002 : 285qp : GUNROME2

003 : 284qp : 2 39

004 : 284qp : BADBOY 4554

005 : 284qp : CAPIN KI55

006 : 270qp : KEFLOL

007 : 259qp : ADR0210

[b]ELITE: 200+ QP:[/b]

008 : 244qp : BAANDAN0

009 : 239qp : MIY654321

010 : 226qp : KOOL

011 : 205qp : JJTMN1

012 : 204qp : GINJAKS

[b]ADVANCE: 150+ QP:[/b]

013 : 198qp : BROOY3

014 : 185qp : DARRROW

015 : 180qp : BAY AXCEL

016 : 151qp : SACAN

017 : 150qp : HE BLAZE

[b]INTERMEDIATE: 100+ QP:[/b]

018 : 149qp : DASATH

019 : 146qp : NCANING

020 : 138qp : BLGCOIN

As displayed on forums:

GRANDMASTERS : QUEST CAPERS : 287 QP

D'OR KADAR

HORON

KINGOYRAMID

SLIJV1

MASTERS : 250+ QP:

001 : 286qp : REYMASTER100

002 : 285qp : GUNROME2

003 : 284qp : 2 39

004 : 284qp : BADBOY 4554

005 : 284qp : CAPIN KI55

006 : 270qp : KEFLOL

007 : 259qp : ADR0210

ELITE: 200+ QP:

008 : 244qp : BAANDAN0

009 : 239qp : MIY654321

010 : 226qp : KOOL

011 : 205qp : JJTMN1

012 : 204qp : GINJAKS

ADVANCE: 150+ QP:

013 : 198qp : BROOY3

014 : 185qp : DARRROW

015 : 180qp : BAY AXCEL

016 : 151qp : SACAN

017 : 150qp : HE BLAZE

INTERMEDIATE: 100+ QP:

018 : 149qp : DASATH

019 : 146qp : NCANING

020 : 138qp : BLGCOIN

Creater of QuestRanker

"I hate it when my target's die laughing, makes me think my fly is open or something"

-Me

Just a general reminder:

Tip.It takes no responsibility for downloads offsite. While this might be a safe program, we urge you to only use it if you have proper anti-virus, firewall and spyware removers installed and active.

If a downloadable program breaks rules or is malicious, please report the topic immediately. If not, enjoy it. :)

Laikrob,

Clan Staff.

You're accusing me of bigotry, how ironic. It's a nice attempt at argument, but your responses are facile and asinine, if not diatribe. Who's arrogant now?

appologies, minor bugfix, new files linked

and my bad laikrob. Of course the standard disclaimer applies :)

next time I update i'll start putting file versions in the name too so you can keep track more easily :)

Creater of QuestRanker

"I hate it when my target's die laughing, makes me think my fly is open or something"

-Me

Very interesting, I wonder if tip.it would use something similar in the ML's they're making (*nudge*, *nudge*)

Although the only drawback is that I'll be at the bottom, seeing that I'm f2P, but I'm used with it now ;)

22031_s.gif

I'm my clan's quest promoter, so to be being f2p is the only excuse to have low qp, not that I'm biased of course

in reality i've always found that while the most annoying part was the constant reordering of the table and ranks (hence the program) the most difficult part is getting members to actually submit their qp to you

Creater of QuestRanker

-Me

small note: I'm aware that after you add/update someone and it says updated sucessfully the name and qp sometimes displays the first person on the list or null. It doesnt effect the program working, it still all saves normally, so no need to worry.

second note: it seems that if you add/update someone to just below max qp (in the master category) they get put to first place and ignore the alphabetical sort. Why this is I'm not sure, and a glance at my sorting method doesnt seem to throw up any problems. It's no disaster, but I thought I'd let you know. if anyone finds where it's gone off in the code i'd appreciate a buzz. Interestingly it does put things back in place if someone else is added / updated so wonder if just a second sorting would solve it?

Creater of QuestRanker

-Me

• 4 weeks later...

Update: version 4.3.2 out. Bit better contact info if you need help with it, improved some of the working although still seem to get occasional bugs with the orders within a rank. i'll probably fix that in version 4.4 once i find the smegging cause. already made a 4.3.3 but since that was only a title name constistancy change i dont think that justifies rerelease just to rename questlister to questranker

you'd think a simple primary key downward, secondary upwards would work with an insert sort? It's that it "sometimes" works, and that it always seems to break for the same person that it is odd. On the bright side, that i use this 10-15 times a day does i give me some practical experience, and I may consider a couple of other minor tweaks

Creater of QuestRanker

-Me

Update: version 4.3.2 out. Bit better contact info if you need help with it, improved some of the working although still seem to get occasional bugs with the orders within a rank. i'll probably fix that in version 4.4 once i find the smegging cause. already made a 4.3.3 but since that was only a title name constistancy change i dont think that justifies rerelease just to rename questlister to questranker

you'd think a simple primary key downward, secondary upwards would work with an insert sort? It's that it "sometimes" works, and that it always seems to break for the same person that it is odd. On the bright side, that i use this 10-15 times a day does i give me some practical experience, and I may consider a couple of other minor tweaks

You think this would work on the new clan ml's Tip.it is making? If yes, you should try approaching the tip.it crew with this, if you haven't already, or if they already got something similar.

22031_s.gif

• 5 weeks later...

really it's little more than an offline database and hardcoded formatter. Any clan you want could use it, but it wont link in to an applet or site so easily.

As expected the whole name change thing makes things hell. I'm tempted to make a feature to change names to make it a little easier, but free time is low these days what with work. I'll get around to it eventually though so watch this space

Creater of QuestRanker

-Me

• 1 month later...

Lmao, after around 3 months of looking on and off I think I've found the cause of the fault in sorting:

when inputting I wasn't flushing the input first, so a residual linefeed character would get put as part of the input. As it's at the start of the name it wouldn't display, but would lexographically show as before any character when sorting. Now when loading up again it would get filtered out as my read function clears whitespace when parsing. go figure. Hopefully that will be fixed in the version I'm working on now

Creater of QuestRanker

-Me

NEWS!!! Version 5 available

sorry it took so long to come out, but at least when it did I added extra features. Now it is much more streamlined, the old bugs have been settled, and it is faster to use since you don't need to type someone's full name to find them in the list.

Any problems or comments please tell me, I still don't consider this a perfected program.

Creater of QuestRanker

-Me

• 3 months later...

had a strange bug, someone who had a purely numerical name had their name come out as a quite bizarre string. If anyone has any similar experiences please tell me so I can try to trace this bug. It seems to be an isolated event so far, but more data is always welcome

Creater of QuestRanker

-Me

• 2 months later...

uploaded v5.3.1:

Changes:

loading function now autoparses to capital which helps with compatibility and helps work with boards that default to lower case markup. should improve ease of use for shared forums.

Creater of QuestRanker

-Me

this seems to be the most cabbage type of cabbage on tip it atm, no1 really gives a dam as the maker is the only 1 really posting lol

Mainly because the types of clans that actively post here are warring based, not questing/skilling etc.

OT:

Ty for the update, although I'm not sure my clan will ever use it.

6590ew.jpg

there are people who have used this with sucess for their clans. The reason I'm the only one posting is because the sort who download it do so quietly, or occasionally contact me in game about it. I know another fansite has a big quest ranking being run using my program, so at least someone is using it nicely.

I could do with finding a new file host though, this one keeps dropping the hosting after a time

Creater of QuestRanker

-Me

It's a database tool. You put in the names of players and their questpoints and it builds it into an automatically sorted database, and saves it in a nicely formated arrangement for having a QP list on a forum. It makes updating someone's QP instant, automatically reordering there database rather than having to go through it manually, and it makes it easy to add, remove, or rename entries. For any clan that wants to promote questing, or any fansite who wants a database for showing off, it's an ideal tool that will save you hours. Hell it even saved me hours with my clan, even after you count the time it took to write and test the program.

As it says in the original post I use Xp64 so there is a fair chance people would have to recompile it to use it on another machine that isnt xp64, but as I stick to standard ASCII C getting a free c compiler is very easy even for an amateur.

Creater of QuestRanker

-Me