99 rangers guide to training range and using it! newb-master

Hey I'm 999134 and I thought I would write a guide on my favourite skill - range. I have the advantage of getting 99 range on a main account and also getting 80 range again on my pure.

So you want to start firing sticks from a bit of bent wood :lol: ? This guide will give you everything you need to know (and if it doesn't just post and I'll get on it) from where to start leveling to what weapons to use and how make money from ranging. Hopefully you will come to see the usefulness of the skill and why you should start to train it.

banner.jpg

[hide=range max hit calc, thanks to jard y dooku]http://www.runeuniverse.us/code/RangedMaxHit.html

Great clac that works for nearly all range weapons ::'[/hide]

[hide=An overview of range weaponry]Arrows - These generally are best left alone, they find a use in pking with rune arrows in the msb and dragon arrows for a dark bow special attack. But there uses in pking will be discussed later. Buy at the G.E or at arrow shops.For training you should use bronze.

Javelins - Apart from Morrigan's javelin leave well alone, a pointless weapon. If you really want buy at Authentic Throwing Weapons In the ranging guild (needs 40 range to get into). Or get Morrigans as a pvp drop

Throwaxes - Apart from Morrigan's throwaxe and the rune throwaxe for waterbirth dungeon equally pointless to javelins.If you really want buy at Authentic Throwing Weapons In the ranging guild (needs 40 range to get into). Or get Morrigans as a pvp drop.

Knifes - The fastest weapon which in turn brings about great exp! Their speed makes them great for training on low defence monsters for the fastest exp, they may hit low but the damage adds up. You can buy these at Martin Thwait's Lost and Found, you will need 50 agility and thieving to buy (or get a friend with these stats to). Or you can buy on the G.E but they may take a time to buy. For training you should use bronze.

Darts - A great weapon but outclassed by knifes, even the dragon dart is weaker than the rune knife. You will have to make yourself after completing The Tourist Trap. For training you should use bronze.

Chinchompas - Sigh after a wave of complaints I've been persuaded chins might be worth it if you want to take any achievement out of ranging to put it next to your cooking cape.

Hunters Crossbow - Why would you use this.... If you really want to you must use Kebbit bolts and Long kebbit bolts.

Salamanders - Another meh weapon. Useful if you are lazy at places like barrows or Tormented demons/places where you need to switch attack styles, this is mainly used as a magic weapon and the ammo is expsensive.

Crystal Bow - Outdated but still an ok weapon. It requires no ammo but degrades over time (read here - crystal bow. Requires Roving Elves quest to buy/recharge and 70 range/50 agility). Like I said outdated but useful maybe for the fact it free up ammo slot for changing to a darkbow/bolt for the ko in pvp? (I have never used it in pvp).

TokTz-Xi-Lul - obby rings, I don't like them myself because although they apartly have the same max hit as a msb with rune arrows they seem a little slower and less accurate (even with zammy prayer book bonus). Expensive but useful for stuff like getting kc at arma boss and good for pure pking.

orge bows - apart from chompy hunting 100% useless, bronze javelins are about as good...

Karil crossbow - This weapon can only fire bolt racks, which come Barrows or bought from Ak Haranu in Port Phasmatys. Its decent weapon but don't bother with the full set as the agilty drain is useless.[/hide]

[hide=the crossbow]Needs a separate section :)

Bolt - Although they used to be useless they are now the strongest range weapon. They are useful anywhere where you are attacking something with defence but I would wait until getting the accumulator (shown later) and 61 range for the rune crossbow before using bolts as over wise it can get expensive for not that great a weapon. Unless you have 55 slayer for broad bolts I wouldn't use them for training.

Bolt effects are as follows

Bronze with Opal tips - Lucky Lightning - Can cause a lightning bolt to hit your opponent inflicting damage. (Pointless bolt)

Blurite with Jade tips - Earth's Fury Can cause your opponent to be knocked down, stunning them. (Pointless bolt because of its difficultly to obtain and its weakness.)

Iron with Pearl tips - Sea Curse Causes water to fall on your opponent, inflicting damage. Water staves prevent this, fire opponents are vulnerable to it. (Pointless bolt)

Steel with Red Topaz tips - Down to Earth Can lower your opponents magic level. Only works on human controlled players. (POSSIBLY could find some use in very low level pking but mostly useless.)

Mithril with Sapphire tips - Clear Mind Can lower your opponents Prayer points and give them to you. Only works on human controlled players. (pointless bolt, To be low enough level to make use of it they probably wont be praying.)

Mithril with Emerald tips - Magical Poison Bolts are super poisoned, with greater chance of poisoning than using a potion. (Finally a useful bolt! Use this if you don't have broad bolts for anything apart from bosses,barrows and pking)

Adamantite with Ruby tips - Blood Forfeit Can cause opponent to lose 20% of their hitpoints. In return, you lose 10% of yours. (Great bolt for monster hunting, always use until around half hp is down then switch to diamond bolts. These can hit up to 200 on the soul wars avatar and all bosses take heavy damage from this.)

Adamantite with Diamond tips - Armour Piercing Can ignore a part of your opponent's Ranged Defence. (AMAZING BOLT. In my opinion it is better for pking on people with defence than dragonstone and these bolts should be used everywhere when a quick kill is needed ie all bosses.)

Runite with Dragonstone tips - Dragon's Breath Can hit with the power of dragon breath. Power is lost when fighting someone with a anti-dragonbreath shield or a monster that can use fire breath. (Alot of people overestimate this bolt, sure it can hit 50+ but that is so rare it is not worth it. At 5k a bolt the costs add up fast and although you have a higher max hit you will not hit as often as diamonds. Only uses are Pking on pures which accuracy really doesnt matter as your up against 1 defence)

Runite with Onyx tips -Life Leech Can inflict extra damage to the opponent. A portion of this extra damage heals the shooter of the bolt. (Pointless bolt, 8k each hits lower than dragonstone and its effect is rare and useless.)

Bone bolts - Requiring 28 range to wield a Dorgeshuun crossbow Bone bolts are a good cheap way of training, a little slow than knifes but hey at 4gp for a bolt which does more damage than iron bolts they are amazing. You should use Zanik's crossbow after The Chosen Commander It has a useless special which can hit 57 with void[/hide]

[hide=Armour]Simply use this gear through the levels and ignore all other, its either useless or just not worth getting (like snakeskin). Always use your best Recipe For Disaster If they have a better bonus than your current vambraces's bonuses. All items apart from accumulator,gloves and books are buyable on the ge (need to finish fremmick isles for nez helm though.)

1-20 - leather

leather.jpg

20-40 - studded leather with snakeskin boots at 30 (keep these all the way unless you want to pay 8mil for a small pointless bonus)

studdedleather.jpg

40-70 - Keep using the best colour d hide available

greendhide.jpg

Now you should get void!! You get this from playing pest control This can take a long time! But don't lose heart it will be worth it. Although its range bonus is less, voids effect is +15% to range accuracy and +17.5% to range max hit.

void.jpg

If you ever need some defence or want a little more accuracy over max hit use this setup(If your budget allows use armadyl,ranger boots archer ring (with the moblising army enchant if you have). Also you may wish to use a god coif or robin hood hat over nez helm, but dont use archer helm that sucks.

70rangegear.jpg

The accumulator!

This is obtained after completing Animal Magnetism. Very Important for training as it picks up your ammo for you (ammo that would fall to the floor anyway ie not crystal bow or karils c'bow) which makes training alot faster. It does not however work over fences or inside cages as you need to have a clear line of sight for the ammo to return.

PRAYER BOOKS - After completing horror from the deep you get an empty prayer book. You can buy pages for these books off the G.E or get them from treasure trails. The stats on them are as follows

Holy Book (Saradomin)

+8 Slash/Stab/Crush Defence

+8 Magic Defence

+8 Range Defence

+5 Prayer Bonus

book of Balance (Guthix)

+4 Slash/Stab/Crush Attack

+4 Magic Attack

+4 Range Attack

+4 Slash/Stab/Crush Defence

+4 Magic Defence

+4 Range Defence

+5 Prayer Bonus

unholy Book (Zamorak)

+8 Slash/Stab/Crush Attack

+8 Magic Attack

+8 Range Attack

+5 Prayer Bonus

As you can see Zamorak is the best book for bonuses so If you can afford it buy it.

Armour not to use

snakeskin

3rd age (looks good but stats are rubbish and it costs loads!)

karils (expensive and has same stats as d hide nearly)

frog leather

yak leather

Sacred Clay

Spined armour.

Amulet of ranging (it sucks, extra +5 range bonus for all that lost defence?! its stupidly overpriced as well, buy an archer ring instead). It can be argued that if safespotting defence does not matter then think of prayer bonus. The extra +5 prayer bonus from a fury can be used to %5 range pray which is better than =% accuracy. And at the end even if you think its better its another ranger boots really when you compare its price to that of a glory[/hide]

[hide=Cannon]You must have complete the dwarf cannon quest to use a cannon. This is an interesting ranging weapon with many uses. A common misconception is that you can only use it in multi-way combat areas, this is not true. If you are taking damage you can only attack one target with it but when safespotting you can attack as many as you want (as shown in my video in cannoning yaks).

You cannot use the cannon in Chaos Tunnels, Slayer dungeon ,Slayer tower, Stronghold of Safety or the TzHaar Caves and the Chaos Elemental, King Black Dragon, Kalphite Queen, Giant Roc (My Arm's Big Adventure quest) and the Sea Troll Queen (Swan Song quest) will destroy your cannon. If your cannon is destroyed you can get another free from the shop you visit in the quest.

It fires cannonballs which you need to load 30 at a time (beware firing 400 shots without picking up your cannon and putting it back down again will destroy it).

It is often used in slayer as many tasks are in places where the cannon can be used. I would recommend :

trolls, Dagannoths, caged orges, yaks and Suqahs for cannon fodder.[/hide]

[hide=Choosing your special attack (training)]For training if you are using a weapon that already has a special attack like the msb or bone c'bows use that just to not lose exp switching but if you are using knifes its worth using a darkbow with rune arrows just to get that little bit more exp per hr in.

For bosses use the zanik c'bow special as you should already be using this c'bow with diamond bolts.

Also after completely seers diary 3 you can enchant your Excalibur which healths a decent amount of health. A saradomin godsword would be a better choice if you have the money though.[/hide]

Now you know what to use on to where to train! I will list several methods with the fastest exp without using a cannon or other stupidly expensive methods. Then I will list whether these are high med or low defence (high defence use rune c'bow med use bone c'bow and low use bronze knifes. But feel free to change this for budget reasons).

[hide=1-40]I would recommend seagulls starting out. They do no damage and have around 10 hp (also spawn quickly so you are always in combat). They are low defence.

seagulls.jpg

You can also do cows for a bit of profit. low defence

cows.jpg

But the best profit will come from level 2 men! who would have guess it? Collect all herbs bank and sell in ge after you have around 300k worth

men.jpg[/hide]

[hide=40-70]I would now recommend experiments as the best option. You unlock these after Creature of Fenkenstrain and they are level 25 with 100 hp. You may need food if you are a pure but otherwise it is all easy. (low defence)

Nearly just as good is rock crabs. They are level 12 with 50 hp. You will need to run about to the rocks and wake them up though so its a little slower exp. You can use a cannon here if you want but people will get annoyed at you very quickly. Again if you are a pure you may want some food but otherwise they will not do much damage (if you have done fremmick trials you can buy fish and cook it from the fish stall). (low defence)

rockcrabs.jpg

A better version of men for cash are chaos druids (low def)

they can be found in two places

chaosdruids1.jpg

chaosdruids2.jpg

The second picture requires a thieving level to get in (I'm not sure of it but its not too high)

Pick up all herbs and bank them at Edgeville or the nearest bank.[/hide]

[hide=70-90]70range.jpg

Here is where is gets interesting. There are so many way to train from now. And I will be adding more methods

Yaks- You must do fremmick isles to fight yaks and they are great exp. Use your void and bronze knifes here. This is a good spot to use a cannon! stand outside the field and throw knifes in. I highly recommend this method.

Also good is spiders in the SOS.

spiders.jpg

They have low defence but can hit a little so bring some food if you are using void

:twss:

gfspider-1.jpg

Caged ogres are another good method and the knifes cost is payed for by ranarr and other seeds (no food needed as they are caged obviously -.-)

orges.jpg

they can be found here after completing biohazard

orgesmap.jpg

More alternatives are avansies (Which I'm not trying to deniy are a great place to train, I just haven't go around to making a guide yet!) and black dragons which both make alot of money, I will get around to making guides for these But there are already great guides on these subjects.[/hide]

[hide=90+ Soul wars, an awesome way to get range exp]If you dont like soul wars or want hp exp use another method. but this is the fastest for pure range exp.

I would highly suggest going for 100 zeal before cashing in. At 95 range I get 800k exp for my zeal and at 98 range I'm getting around 880k per hundred! . And have worked out on 8 zeal per hour (easy obtainable) you get 64k per hour base exp. This is better than chinning if you make less than 450k per hour!

The basics behind this idea is to get the experience rewards in exchange for zeal. Now you get 1 point for a loss, 2 for a draw and 3 for a win so for each zeal you will get a certain amount of exp (around 6-7k)

if you work on averages you get 2 zeal a game making around 40k an hour exp plus the exp you will get for fighting in soul wars.

This sucks for melee training when compared to armoured zombies, therefore I would highly suggest not using zeal on meele (feel free to melee during game this is still faster range exp than yaks!).

Yaks at around level 90 with void only nets 40k per hour and are a lot more boring than this game :).40k plus say 10k extra per hour in range or whatever skill.

BUT if you are clever you will notice than the swarms of noobs will go to the winning side each time! this means you can easily increase you winning percent to 90+% if you switch teams after each round. This adds up to a huge 60k per hr + exp in game.

this is a good alternative to yaks or avansies and costs nothing (maybe apart from the small cost of bolts.)

[hide=how to play soul wars]Soul wars is a castle wars like game. You are fighting over the middle obelisk(which lowers the opponent's avatars slayer level needed to kill)

here are some equipment sets I'd recommend (always go for high melee/magic defence) inventory may contain a dragon dagger but not much else.

melee (replace godsword with whip+defender/dragonfire shield if you want to also add explorer/warrior/berserker ring)

meele.jpg#

ranged (recommended if your playing for range exp)Along with the accumulator update I would now recommend using broad bolts with rune c'bow (or mith/adamant bolts if your slayer level is too low) .If you don't have void go for armadyl or black d'hide in inventory take a melee special weapon and if you have melee void helm use that for the specials, unless you are using Zanik's c'bow which then I would use adamant bolts for a special then switch back to rune c'bow. feel free to use ranger boots and archer ring over snakeskin and explorer.

ranged.jpg

rangeset.jpg

rangeset2.jpg

magic is a bit of a no-brainier use it for fun but if your going to waste this much money use chinning or bursting ape atoll :lol:

during the game I would recommend ignoring the noob who says grave rush as this is generally pointless. You should always aim for the obelisk. A grave rush organised by a random idiot shouting grave rush is going to fail 99% of the time but if a clan makes a huge rush it can be very easy to take the graveyard and nearly always results In a win

The obelisk

oberlisk2.jpg fight over this to win the game!

oberlisk.jpg it is found here

to lower slayer level with obelisk you need to use shards on them (these are obtainable by killing the monsters scattered around).

To raise your avatars level bury the bones of your enemies in a graveyard.

at the start of them game go here. Barricades block opponents, bandages heal and potions explode barricades .

soulwars.jpgsupplies.jpg

there we go :) good alternate way of training[/hide]

Well now you've got your high range level what are you going to use it for! Two good ways of making money are gwd and pking. And I know a thing or two about pking with range so here is a quick guide on pking at around the 100-110 combat level.

[hide=pking!]itspkingtime.jpg

Rangers own the new bounty hunter and pvp worlds because they are now up against d scimmys and pathetic welfare.

Firstly I would recommend welfare gear like the in the picture above. Your best rfd gloves and I personally go between using msb and using rune c'bow. Agasnt other rangers you should use your msb and follow up with specials from your chosen weapon and against meelers tank them out with diamond bolts ignoring their armour :) (setup in picture is for agasnt meele)

Choosing your special weapon

seercull - mage hunting

msb special - if your lazy / don't want to risk

dds - on not +1 world and you have some meele stats

dark bow - This is a bit hit and miss. Can be very deadly but if you fail the timing or the ko you are left with alot of time before you get your attacks going again and this can ruin the fight for you.

morrigan javelins! - These are amazing! get (p++) ones and watch the koes come in. You can hit 45+ with them and the special which keeps hitting 5s is perfect for draining hp for a 40 with your diamonds to ko.

morrigan throwaxes - outclassed by javelins but are still ok

Dragon claws / ags - these both own! expensive so use on a +1 world (which means you will be up agasnt over godswords and claws though so be careful)

Some gifs for you to look at to show some pking ko moves/rushes (these are not great and I'll try to show you some in proper pking and the msb-claw is stupidly slow in that picture)

clawmsb.gif

failrush.gif

msbbgs.gif

triplestack.gif -watch-!

winrush.gif

NEVER RISK YOUR VOID. I lost it once and hated myself for it. Void darkbowing is pointless and never gets any kills, want to rush use morrigan's javelins or claws but darkbow is not accurate enough.

an inv for pking with range (put in your special wep of choice)

stathelm.jpg

some rewards you can get :)

zarosstat.jpg

vls.jpg

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=798069 <-- check out my gallery for more[/hide]

Thanks for reading :D please comment on how I can improve.

[hide=credits]mdeoxyx for getting wtfpwned

ask the dude for the same but videos got fails

tipit for quest links etc :)

jard y dooku for max range hit calc[/hide]

Check it out, huge amount of effort has gone into this massive mod!

ODG6e0M.png

[hide=old sig]

newsig.png

[/hide]

Decent guide. Although stating that chinning is for noobs is stupid :P If you got money why not to use it for fastest possible way to get your range up? This said I personally never used them because i liked getting profit when training.

Enhanced excalibur is great special weapon for rangers, especially at bosses (armadyl gwd and kbd) and for non-safespot training too. You should really add it :)

Looks ok though you're wrong on the cannon degrade.

This isn't shot-limited but time-limited.

I believe it degrades after about 20 minutes, I usually shoot way more cannonballs then 400 before it degrades. :P

signature.jpg

My guide: Ring of Wealth explained

8 Dragon Boots (885 kills, 1/111, with RoW)

angel2w.gif

Looks ok though you're wrong on the cannon degrade.

This isn't shot-limited but time-limited.

I believe it degrades after about 20 minutes, I usually shoot way more cannonballs then 400 before it degrades. :P

tipit agrees with me and if it was time limited then peoples cannons would degrade who leave them out at ge for hours.

And I had not thought of enchanted Excalibur!! great idea

And chinning is less efficient that my soul wars method if you make less than 500k per hour or something I worked out ages ago when going for 99 myself (and chins going up in price cant help that!).

ODG6e0M.png

[hide=old sig]

newsig.png

[/hide]

Pretty good.

Two things I would add:

1) Xp rates for your locations. It doesn't mean anything when you say "Go train at yaks", but it means the entire world when you say "Yaks are 70k range xp/hr and are the best you have at level 70". (Idk if that's really the xp/hr, btw.)

2) Reconsider your comments on chinchompas. From 80-99, it costs about 25m with greys and takes only 65 hours (roughly). That means you are spending 384k per hour, on average. Chins are about double that a SW, if I remember right (but feel free to correct me, you never stated your xp rate so I'm really not sure), so...

2 Hours of SW = 1 hour of chinchompas. That means you pay 384k to save 1 hour of work (this isn't even considering the huge hp xp you get, which SW will not). Now let's take a look:

Player 1 spends 1 hour at Chinchompas and loses 384k. Then he spends 1 hour runecrafting and makes 400k. He covers the costs of the chinchompas, and he also gets more xp in hitpoints and runecrafting, and he gets 16k extra.

Player 2 spends 2 hours at SW. Although he gets the same xp after those 2 hours as Player 1, he has lost money on the ammo for SW, does not have nearly as much HP xp, and gets no runecrafting xp.

Of course, you could do anything in that second hour to make money. But as long as you make more than 384k in that second hour, chinchompas are the better option.

And almost every member can make 384k. Collecting snape grass or whiteberries is that much...

The ammo cost thanks to accumulator in sw is negligible and I do mention being able to get 94k+ per hour there. Chinning is more efficient before 96 probably if you can make 400k per hr (which I can tell you from many hours in many locations on my pure /tank swamp toads,snape grass or whiteberrys doesn't make!

And I hate putting exp per hour up. What I will get at 99 range with the best equipment is different to 70 range with bronze arrows.

ODG6e0M.png

[hide=old sig]

newsig.png

[/hide]

Chinning is good like Zaaps said. You might not be able to make 400k per hour, but anyone with the teleport can, and its easy with skills. 91 RC gets you over 900k, not to mention other methods like Avansies, GWD, and if you are good PKing, and Duel Tournaments.

I would definatly add exp/hour. If you dont, its hard to know what method is best for you. Poorer players would want to stick with cheap arrows, while richer players can use more costly but faster methods.

Owned_Nex.png

Dungeoneering isn't a skill.

I'm faster than bots at Sorceress Garden.

PM me if you want to chat. My PM is always off.

My keyboard is on fire. Want some?

The ammo cost thanks to accumulator in sw is negligible and I do mention being able to get 94k+ per hour there. Chinning is more efficient before 96 probably if you can make 400k per hr (which I can tell you from many hours in many locations on my pure /tank swamp toads,snape grass or whiteberrys doesn't make!

And I hate putting exp per hour up. What I will get at 99 range with the best equipment is different to 70 range with bronze arrows.

How are you collecting snape grass? Waterbirth teleports with familiars should easily do it. There are many, many ways you can make 400k per hour. It's not difficult at all. Abyss laws, nats, 2x cosmics, and deaths all make that much or more. Many slayer monsters also tend to be over 400k/hr. In addition, Aviansies and Green dragons are that much or more per hour, and you can range those as well, netting even more xp. For a member, 400k/hr is ridiculously easy for anyone to come by.

And just because you can't make 400/hr (I don't know how you can't), doesn't mean other people can't. You're saying that chinchompas are only for the rich, but that is obviously not true.

And you can't just ignore the cost of ammo. It's still there. If you can't put a finger on the exact cost, it's your duty to mention it at least.

A good guide, but you spelt ogres wrong in your "here be ogres" pic.

cwsiggyfinal.jpg

Sig by me, in MS paint, but I'm still working on it.

Suggestions appreciated

This guide is as concise as a gourmet's handbook with the guidelines of "Pick up fork, stab food, insert into your mouth, then chew".

There are lots of grammar mistakes, bad tags, and uncropped pictures throughout the guide, making it overall very messy.

Others have already commented about the chinchompas so I'll point out other things.

Obby Rings + Zamorak Book is actually the same speed and a little more accurate than MSB w/ rune arrows.

Dragon Bolts actually hit more often than Diamond Bolts. The special effect hits are random in chance for all bolts; therefore, Dragon Bolts with more Ranged Attack bonus would be more accurate than Diamond Bolts.

Diamond Bolts cannot be used with Zanik's Crossbow.

Morrigan's Axe special can actually do more damage in one hit than Morrigan's Javelin special, if you're looking for that final blow for pking.

Soul Wars is not like Castle Wars.

There are lots of grammar mistakes, bad tags, and uncropped pictures throughout the guide, making it overall very messy.

please pm me any

Others have already commented about the chinchompas so I'll point out other things.

Obby Rings + Zamorak Book is actually the same speed and a little more accurate than MSB w/ rune arrows.

I personally still think msb is better because of ability to combo with a gs etc

Dragon Bolts actually hit more often than Diamond Bolts. The special effect hits are random in chance for all bolts; therefore, Dragon Bolts with more Ranged Attack bonus would be more accurate than Diamond Bolts.

wow.... range strength has no effect on accuracy, accuracy is taken from your crossbow and your range accuracy boosting gear/ voids 15%.

Diamond Bolts cannot be used with Zanik's Crossbow.

Ah I was wrong, you can but not enchanted ones I think, making it pointless.

Morrigan's Axe special can actually do more damage in one hit than Morrigan's Javelin special, if you're looking for that final blow for pking.

Axes extra + damage is negated in the first second ( before they can eat) of the javs draining effect.

Soul Wars is not like Castle Wars.

it is very similar... Please explain why you think I am wrong, I got to 99 at sw.

ODG6e0M.png

[hide=old sig]

newsig.png

[/hide]

I'm not really impressed by this guide. I'm not going to start about the grammar mistakes, but in stead on the content:

1) chinning is certainly something you should consider, stated by many others too.

2) Obby rings are a very good weapon. They are the preferred weapon when killing aviansies and are better than broad bolts.

3) Why use bronze arrows when training? Broad arrows cost only 60 gp and are as good as addy arrows (not sure on xp rates with it). Also, cbow + broad bolts gets up to 50k xp an hour.

4) Your gifs are crappy. I men, 5+ gifs with some baby hits, what's the information value of it?

Sorry if this sound harsh, but your guide needs quite a bit of work if you'd ever want it in the archive of wisdom.

I'm not really impressed by this guide. I'm not going to start about the grammar mistakes, but in stead on the content:

1) chinning is certainly something you should consider, stated by many others too.

2) Obby rings are a very good weapon. They are the preferred weapon when killing aviansies and are better than broad bolts.

3) Why use bronze arrows when training? Broad arrows cost only 60 gp and are as good as addy arrows (not sure on xp rates with it). Also, cbow + broad bolts gets up to 50k xp an hour.

4) Your gifs are crappy. I men, 5+ gifs with some baby hits, what's the information value of it?

Sorry if this sound harsh, but your guide needs quite a bit of work if you'd ever want it in the archive of wisdom.

2) They are an ok weapon but the rune crossbow with broad/diamond bolts(e) or knifes are alot better

3) I have said don't use bronze arrows unless you are really poor, all arrows are bad for training... Use knifes.

4) I lost my good hits and put these together (and do the hits really matter? Its to show how its done). Am I not allowed to post some gifs just to make guide nicer?

ODG6e0M.png

[hide=old sig]

newsig.png

[/hide]

2) They are an ok weapon but the rune crossbow with broad/diamond bolts(e) or knifes are alot better

3) I have said don't use bronze arrows unless you are really poor, all arrows are bad for training... Use knifes.

4) I lost my good hits and put these together (and do the hits really matter? Its to show how its done). Am I not allowed to post some gifs just to make guide nicer?

Obby rings are a lot better than broad bolts. I made 500k an hour at aviansies. Compfreak with obby rings apperantly makes 800k+ there. You should do some research on them. I personally dont have any experience with them though.

The hits do not matter no. You are certainly allowed to post some. I just dont think they make your guide nicer.

Again, no hard feelings, just trying to give positive criticism.

Adamant Darts>Obby Rings I believe.

Besides Compfreak did those tests when obby rings are around 300ea. Now they are 750ea, so NTY TO EXPENSIVE STUFF.

Just wondering, is there a reason why you would use Adamant Darts but not Adamant Knives? Is it that much cheaper?

Constructive criticism (Don't take this personally):

-Have an eye catching title

"99 Ranger's Guide to Training Range and Using It!" Sounds and looks a lot better no?

-Use proper punctuation, capitalization and effective spacing.

- Remove all the bias

eg. "The best training weapon!" You said about knives (which by the way, is spelled knives). This is a subjective thing. While you may believe it to be true (And it certainly is, in certain situations), it is not "The best training weapon!" period.

In that example, I would say something to the effect of "Knives are a highly effective method of training ranged, especially against foes with low defense due to their speed but relatively low range bonus."

A second example would be "Unless you have 55 slayer for broad bolts I wouldn't use them for training." in the Crossbow section. While YOU might not use them for training, this is a guide for OTHER players. I see tons of players with mithril bolts plunking at dragons and other tougher monsters.

-Only have what is necessary

Honestly, I don't think the GIFs are necessary. (You've got a GIF of ice blitz/dragon claws rush, how does that contribute to your guide?). As well, how does screenshots of your kills contribute?

As well, I have to question the choice of putting in the special attack of crossbow bolts that are redundant. How often do you see players using Red Topaz bolts? You could have covered the useless bolts section in 2 lines.

As for the armor section, are pictures of ranging equipment really necessary? It would be more effective to explain the ranging armors that are popular (Void, Armadyl, and Dragonhide) and talk about their strengths and weaknesses.

Now, onto the false information:

Diamond (e) bolts: The chance of the spec actually happening is approximately 13% at 99 range. (Read this topic: http://www.truthscape.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2407). It will hit about as often as Dragon (e) bolts due to the fact that Dragon (e) bolts are made from Rune bolts. However, Dragon (e) bolts will have the chance of hitting huge special effects.

Ranged strength DO effect accuracy. Take that Zanik's crossbow, go to steel dragons, use bone bolts for the first kill and addy bolts for the second. You can not tell me you hit the same amount of zeros due to the same ranged bonus.

Finally, your methods of training ranged are very ineffective. Efficiency is the ability to perform the most with the time you are given. If, for example, you get 60k experience an hour at giant spiders (Fairly reasonable number for 90 range), and at aviansies get 40k experience and 350k an hour (Also, fairly reasonable number if you are tanking aviansies at 90 range), you should only do giant spiders if you make more than 1.05m an hour or need to afk.

Why? Because in 3 hours, you can do 3 hours of aviansies and receive 120k ranged experience as well as 1.05m, and in 2 hours of giant spiders, you will receive the same 120k experience. Therefore, for giant spiders to be worth it, you have to earn more than 1.05m in that third hour.

It is the same concept in soul wars. Now, if you find it fun or a worthwhile usage of time, nobody is stopping you, but just understand that efficiency is lost. (This may not be important to some people, but it certainly is to others)

Lastly, efficiency also takes into consideration the costs of training ranged. Bronze knives, although they are the cheapest, are often outclassed by more expensive weapons in both experience/hour AND profit/hour. Therefore, for training, there are situations bronze ranged weapons are not ideal.

Phew I was bored. Sorry if I seem harsh, but it is just some constructive criticism. If you want your guide to be of a higher quality. Other things such as cropping pictures/chinchompas have already been mentioned.

My all RSC level 4, 9hp account:

noway.png

[hide=]-Use proper punctuation, capitalization and effective spacing.

I've tried my best (which isn't very good) Please pm to correct any you find?

- Remove all the bias

eg. "The best training weapon!" You said about knives (which by the way, is spelled knives). This is a subjective thing. While you may believe it to be true (And it certainly is, in certain situations), it is not "The best training weapon!" period.

Ill change to fastest exp without chinning/cannoning/using more expsensive knifes/darts

A second example would be "Unless you have 55 slayer for broad bolts I wouldn't use them for training." in the Crossbow section. While YOU might not use them for training, this is a guide for OTHER players. I see tons of players with mithril bolts plunking at dragons and other tougher monsters.

I'm alot over 55 slayer myself ;) broad bolts are a godsend.

As well, I have to question the choice of putting in the special attack of crossbow bolts that are redundant. How often do you see players using Red Topaz bolts? You could have covered the useless bolts section in 2 lines.

Its in a hide tab if you don't want to read about it don't.

As for the armor section, are pictures of ranging equipment really necessary? It would be more effective to explain the ranging armors that are popular (Void, Armadyl, and Dragonhide) and talk about their strengths and weaknesses.

Well I think its helpful for people to know what armour they should be using at all levels

Now, onto the false information:

Diamond (e) bolts: The chance of the spec actually happening is approximately 13% at 99 range. (Read this topic: http://www.truthscape.com/forum/viewtop ... =2407). It will hit about as often as Dragon (e) bolts due to the fact that Dragon (e) bolts are made from Rune bolts. However, Dragon (e) bolts will have the chance of hitting huge special effects.

Well obviously for boss hunting dragons are too inefficient to work, but it pking It might just be my bad luck I've used over 200 dragon stone bolts and I've found my special rate really low... (although I have seen over people have alot of luck with them, which is what I don't like as well only lucky hits).

Ranged strength DO effect accuracy. Take that Zanik's crossbow, go to steel dragons, use bone bolts for the first kill and addy bolts for the second. You can not tell me you hit the same amount of zeros due to the same ranged bonus.

It has been stated by jagex (can't find the quote) that strength does not effect accuracy. I'm not sure exactly how it works but you will have a higher max with addy but the bone bolts have same chance of 0s.

Finally, your methods of training ranged are very ineffective. Efficiency is the ability to perform the most with the time you are given. If, for example, you get 60k experience an hour at giant spiders (Fairly reasonable number for 90 range), and at aviansies get 40k experience and 350k an hour (Also, fairly reasonable number if you are tanking aviansies at 90 range), you should only do giant spiders if you make more than 1.05m an hour or need to afk.

Although I can easily make over 1mil an hour pking I'll assume most people can't. I'd say 350k is a little much, I don't seem to be able to make that broad bolts and 97 range. Spiders are not as good as sw, lets take a good game of 100k per hr (its possible and repeatable) 3 hours of aviansies receives 120k ranged experience as well as 900k You will need to play 4 games of sw or 80 minutes (1.33 hours) to get the exp of 3 hours. Therefore making sw a better option if you can earn 900k in 1.66 hours sw is better (very possible).

Lastly, efficiency also takes into consideration the costs of training ranged. Bronze knives, although they are the cheapest, are often outclassed by more expensive weapons in both experience/hour AND profit/hour. Therefore, for training, there are situations bronze ranged weapons are not ideal.

Iron knifes are double the price at 1 higher max hit and then every other knife gets so expensive it is not worth it.

Phew I was bored. Sorry if I seem harsh, but it is just some constructive criticism. If you want your guide to be of a higher quality. Other things such as cropping pictures/chinchompas have already been mentioned.

No, this is the sort of thing that is very helpful

Also any mention of compfreaks frankly stupid numbers appear in your post I will ignore it (he thinks 800k profit per hour at avansies and 325k exp per hour with grey chins is possible, and when I proved him wrong he took to childishly insulting me.)[/hide]

ODG6e0M.png

[hide=old sig]

newsig.png

[/hide]