Whose opinion holds weight?

Erewhon2

I have noticed while following a few threads that some people post strong opinions who have very limited experience of playing RS and I have given very little weight to their point of view as a result, particularly if it has been about ongoing game play or skill development. After all if you were playing RS and wanted advice, would you ask a level 3 skiller about completing Barrows? Or someone who gave up RS ages ago? Very unlikely. Also If someone has given up RS why are they still posting on Tip.It, what is the point?

The same applies with regard to F2P players ranting about the disappointments of RS when they have never been members....how ridiculous is that? (And yes I also hold a F2P account, so this is not a dig at F2P).

The worst in my mind are those who are playing only occasionally (or never) then start trashing RS like their opinion matters! :shame: This happens actually within the game itself on both F2P or P2P. Players come on trying to give opinions and advice and when challenged about the incorrect information they are giving claim they haven't played for ages because RS is 'boring' (or something stronger).

•  
  • If you don't play RS then keep your opinions to yourself.
  • If you don't have the skill, or the experience then don't try and give advice or an opinion on it.

35cq0q9.png

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do people stay around after they quit?

To help other players, and for OT, and, of course, they are entitled to their own opinion.

And really, you judge people based on the account they show? Many people have multiple accounts, especially here, and are knowledgeable about things even though the stats of their current account may not show it.

• If you've only been here a few months and have a relatively low post count, then don't post things like this.

swordfinalqr7.jpg

Denizen of Darkness| PSN= sworddude198

To help other players, and for OT, and, of course, they are entitled to their own opinion.

And really, you judge people based on the account they show? Many people have multiple accounts, especially here, and are knowledgeable about things even though the stats of their current account may not show it.

• If you've only been here a few months and have a relatively low post count, then don't post things like this.

So you are judging me by how long I have been a member on tipit? Yet questioning my opinion about exactly the same thing! It is down to the debate to open this up. You're assuming that many people have multiple accounts, yes they may do, in which case they have the 'skills and experience' to give an 'informed' opinion or advice.

If people have quit RS why do they want to help others? Help them to quit too? Because that is some of what I am seeing both here and in the game, RS being verbally trashed.

35cq0q9.png

So you are judging me by how long I have been a member on tipit?

Unless I'm mistaken, he said that to demonstrate the flaws in your post - not because he actually means it.

You can't (or rather, shouldn't) judge someone based on appearances alone. And yes, there are legitimate reasons why someone who has quit RS might want to help others; there are many who leave the game on good terms and occassionally wish to help the next generation of players. It's by no means a rare occurrence.

Interested in helping the Tip.It Crew?

Check out our Website Updates & Corrections Board!

Fey_Wanderer.png

So you are judging me by how long I have been a member on tipit?

Unless I'm mistaken, he said that to demonstrate the flaws in your post - not because he actually means it.

You can't (or rather, shouldn't) judge someone based on appearances alone. And yes, there are legitimate reasons why someone who has quit RS might want to help others; there are many who leave the game on good terms and occassionally wish to help the next generation of players. It's by no means a rare occurrence.

Well in this instance I took his point at face value.....as many people would, the term "what you see is what you get" comes to mind. This thread has come about particularly because of a disagreement going on within another thread that headed right off topic. As a result I said I would open it up for debate. I am cross about those people who do not have players best interests at heart. Those who play the game (or not) or post on tipit purely to aggravate, rant, mislead and generally be obnoxious and yet consider their inexperienced opinions to hold weight. Having said that, my point when asking for an opinion or advice still stands....it wouldn't occur to me to ask a level 3 skiller for advice about barrows if I didn't know them.

35cq0q9.png

Correct me if I'm wrong, but...is this about trolls? I'm afraid there will always be trolls and flamers around, no matter what forums you frequent (this is the internet, after all). You can only ignore them and appeal to the moderating team if they truly bother you.

'Back to your point: If someone's after a bit of advice, he or she would do best by asking many people and finding the consensus, rather than simply taking the word of a single, complete stranger at face value. You'd have to be a fool to do otherwise, to be honest. :mellow:

It's nearly impossible to gauge the accuracy of information derived from an unfamiliar source, so, unless you personally know the person to be trustworthy and knowledgeable, you should never take such advice too seriously. Essentially, this is my point.

I may be misunderstanding your post, but this all seems to be common sense. :unsure:

Interested in helping the Tip.It Crew?

Check out our Website Updates & Corrections Board!

Fey_Wanderer.png

There's such a thing as human rights for god's sake.

You have absoulutely, I stress absolutely no right to try and force people to stop posting/expressing their opinions freely. Who do you think you are to try and restrict people's freedom? Just because someone has a lot of virtual stats doesn't give him/her a right over another person who is "less experienced" in the game.

This is a ridiculous topic. You're not debating about the game anyway, you're debating about HUMAN RIGHTS. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and even if you are the president of the US or whatever, you still have no right to prevent someone from expressing their opinion freely, even if he/she clearly has no idea what he/she is talking about. I'm not saying you cannot ignore/insult the person. But you can't STOP the person from freely speaking/posting.

You can only ignore them and appeal to the moderating team if they truly bother you.

Words of wisdom.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but only if they provide valid reasons.

Honestly, I hate it when someone rants about an update without reason. All I have to say is: deal with it.

By the way, this topic is way too big. It goes outside of Runescape. It can be applied to just about everything.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

Those players that can debate using correct grammar and sane arguments, basically 20-30% of all players in my experience and about 75% of all regulars rants forum posters. Of course I view F2Pers opinions on P2P gameplay to be slightly uninformed and my opinion on F2P gameplay is nonexistant and should be that way since I never log in F2P.

A lvl 3 skiller that never went to GWD but read every guides available will probably have a better opinion on the matter than me. You can't classify opinions based on a sig or the info below their avatar.

langerkiller.png

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

Latest Milestones Chart update : page 602

Latest top 15 update : page 602

6 slowest skills chart : page 563

Those players that can debate using correct grammar and sane arguments, basically 20-30% of all players in my experience and about 75% of all regulars rants forum posters. Of course I view F2Pers opinions on P2P gameplay to be slightly uninformed and my opinion on F2P gameplay is nonexistant and should be that way since I never log in F2P.

A lvl 3 skiller that never went to GWD but read every guides available will probably have a better opinion on the matter than me. You can't classify opinions based on a sig or the info below their avatar.

Same can be held for a 100% F2Per who reads P2P guides all the time.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

Same can be held for a 100% F2Per who reads P2P guides all the time.

Yep it was just an example, thing is you can't know that from looking at someone's player details... you need to speak or argue with them.

But I usually assume that a 100% F2Per might know that the abyssal whip is the best training weapon... but this player has probably no knowledge how to time eating food or drinking pots. Knowledge is fine, but experience provides more depth. Having both will hold more weight, but if I had to choose between the 2, knowledge is my choice. I have witnessed lots of players claiming they can feel they are due for a drop because of timing, high hits, number of kills on a particular spawn... those players' opinion I dismiss easily.

langerkiller.png

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

But you can't STOP the person from freely speaking/posting.

Quel, relax a little. First, as this is a private message board, you have no inborn "right" to anything. The staff, if they wanted, could silence you because your name starts with Q. As for other posters who, like you and I, have no power whatsoever - they can gripe about people all they want (and risk being moderated).

Realistically, though, there's a market of ideas out there. We as finite beings don't have time to rationally evaluate each "seller" of knowledge, so we take shortcuts. In RS, it is reasonable to equate higher levels / longer play time with being a better source of game advice. Is it always true? No! That just means it is an imperfect predictor.

But you can't STOP the person from freely speaking/posting.

Quel, relax a little. First, as this is a private message board, you have no inborn "right" to anything. The staff, if they wanted, could silence you because your name starts with Q. As for other posters who, like you and I, have no power whatsoever - they can gripe about people all they want (and risk being moderated).

Realistically, though, there's a market of ideas out there. We as finite beings don't have time to rationally evaluate each "seller" of knowledge, so we take shortcuts. In RS, it is reasonable to equate higher levels / longer play time with being a better source of game advice. Is it always true? No! That just means it is an imperfect predictor.

Interesting way to put that, nice analogy.

langerkiller.png

As Swampjedi said....Quelmotz relax a little, yes some of this is as a result of the disagreements we had and your tendency to rant, but its not just about you, there are plenty of other examples in RS too.

Some interesting and very valuable points here. I agree that each person in the game (or elsewhere) should be given the benefit of demonstrating their knowledge or experience and sometimes one outweighs the other depending on what it is you need to know, or what the opinion is you are interested in.

Rien_Adelric made the point about 'common sense' and that may be true, but unfortunately not everyone is able to apply it. For example someone ranting on with opinions about the state of ongoing game play like updates, who doesn't play RS has no valuable opinion to me. Or someone going on about the how pointless membership is when they have never experienced it. Now it is common sense that they are unlikely to have anything of value to offer me.

I do agree that we make assumptions, after all it is human nature to do so, therefore reasonable as Swampjedi put it to go to someone who appears to be the most appropriate first stop, in some instances this may be a person who presents as being a 'higher level'.

I had to laugh at Langers point about grammar and sane arguments, after all it has to make sense and some of the things I have seen written in RS need a full time translator! Although interesting that he has informed himself of combat areas and skills, I have to say I think that is unusual for a skiller. Some I have spoken to have been really dismissive of combat; like trying to discuss a full mixed grill with a vegetarian and have been just as offended. So I would not automatically ask a skiller about Barrows for example, I would probably ask someone with a high combat level. To argue Langer's point I would give the example of agility, you can read up on that all you like, but for me the best way of training agility was to have fun with it at Brimhaven, only someone who has experienced that would understand the difference in the courses.

35cq0q9.png

Guest jrhairychest

I have noticed while following a few threads that some people post strong opinions who have very limited experience of playing RS and I have given very little weight to their point of view as a result, particularly if it has been about ongoing game play or skill development. After all if you were playing RS and wanted advice, would you ask a level 3 skiller about completing Barrows? Or someone who gave up RS ages ago? Very unlikely. Also If someone has given up RS why are they still posting on Tip.It, what is the point?

The same applies with regard to F2P players ranting about the disappointments of RS when they have never been members....how ridiculous is that? (And yes I also hold a F2P account, so this is not a dig at F2P).

The worst in my mind are those who are playing only occasionally (or never) then start trashing RS like their opinion matters! :shame: This happens actually within the game itself on both F2P or P2P. Players come on trying to give opinions and advice and when challenged about the incorrect information they are giving claim they haven't played for ages because RS is 'boring' (or something stronger).

•  
  • If you don't play RS then keep your opinions to yourself.
  • If you don't have the skill, or the experience then don't try and give advice or an opinion on it.

Lol I knew you were strong minded but Wow! But I have to agree, particularly those who complain and whinge about RS. I honestly don't know why they bothered playing at all or post about it even though they hardly play(ed) or quit. In some cases I've seen it seems some don't want to enjoy the game for themselves, but they don't want others to either out of spite.

I also suspect you will be attacked by those who've been out of the game for a while but who still post. But it still stands as the game changes so much these days with new stuff and constant updates.

Agree with the first paragraph but disagree with the second. Reading all the guides in the world isn't a match for the real experience of doing things or talking to other players who have been there and done it. I personally have never been to GWD and I wouldn't go about advising players on this no many how many guides I've read, simply because I'm not in a position to do so.

But you can't STOP the person from freely speaking/posting unless you are a moderator/administrator/some authority..

Fine now?

It's only STATISTICALLY true that a higher level player is a better source of game advice. As you said, it is an imperfect predictor, and there are always exceptions. What if the player hasn't logged in for years? His memory of the game wouldn't be fresh, and new updates of easier ways to train might have been introduced, and his advice might not be the most accurate/best. Also, just because a person has high levels in combat, for example, doesn't mean he knows everything there is to know about high-level boss hunting, compared to a lower-level but more experienced boss-hunter. Maybe he's more of a PKer? And the list goes on...

That's the problem with statistics... it gives you a general indication. You might find occurences to be false, but the general trend will be somewhat accurate. Wel all have stereotypes and it is something hard to steer away from those, but dissing on someone's background to counter their arguments just means that the argument is lost and the disser has no more valid points.

@ erewhon and jrhairychest

Concerning the point of knowledge vs experience.

I would argue that knowledge is better than un-analysed experience but is worst than the combination of the two. Un-analysed experience from my point of view are often similar to player feelings or includes the fun factor (fun is way too subjective to count as a valid argument). Also note that I have tried every skills extensively and know which skills are fun for me and don't need someone else view of fun to be impose on me.

About guides... if every guide suggest to bring a crush weapon to waterfiends and some lvl 130 tells you "I kill them with whip just fine, bring a whip", while a lvl 3 skillers says "every guide suggest to bring a crush weapon as it speed up kills by X factor", who would you trust?

Edited by langer

langerkiller.png

It's only STATISTICALLY true that a higher level player is a better source of game advice. As you said, it is an imperfect predictor, and there are always exceptions. What if the player hasn't logged in for years? His memory of the game wouldn't be fresh, and new updates of easier ways to train might have been introduced, and his advice might not be the most accurate/best. Also, just because a person has high levels in combat, for example, doesn't mean he knows everything there is to know about high-level boss hunting, compared to a lower-level but more experienced boss-hunter. Maybe he's more of a PKer? And the list goes on...

Again you emphasize the exceptions rather than the "rule", while admitting the rule is correct.

Guess what? I'm an exception to that rule myself. I'm 89 combat - I get what you're saying, I really do. I know more about RS as a whole than most 130 combat people. I've been here longer, and I've used the game more than just combat (which is the standard). If you have an "endgame" (ha) combat question, I can't help - but I'm pretty knowledgeable about the other 95% of the game. In general though, the higher combat / higher total level someone is, the more likely they are to have good advice.

Guest jrhairychest

That's the problem with statistics... it gives you a general indication. You might find occurences to be false, but the general trend will be somewhat accurate. Wel all have stereotypes and it is something hard to steer away from those, but dissing on someone's background to counter their arguments just means that the argument is lost and the disser has no more valid points.

Experience counts for everything. Its not a case of dissing anyone its just pointing out fact that some players aren't the experts they claim to be, particularly if their skill sets are low. I'm 59 summon and I've read the guides but that doesn't put me in a position to be the fountain of knowledge of it against someone of a much higher level. Put me next to someone like that to answer someone's question, I'll just say 'ask them, not me'.

I would argue that knowledge is better than un-analysed experience but is worst than the combination of the two. Un-analysed experience from my point of view are often similar to player feelings or includes the fun factor (fun is way too subjective to count as a valid argument). Also note that I have tried every skills extensively and know which skills are fun for me and don't need someone else view of fun to be impose on me.

About guides... if every guide suggest to bring a crush weapon to waterfiends and some lvl 130 tells you "I kill them with whip just fine, bring a whip", while a lvl 3 skillers says "every guide suggest to bring a crush weapon as it speed up kills by X factor", who would you trust?

Again, experience counts for everything. I could read up on all the theory in the world but that doesn't mean I'm right, particularly when you get to subjectivity of a skill. In fact your point about subjectivity is, on the contrary, valid. Everyone analyses what is best for them , particularly at higher levels. You can't get that from reading guides, its your own gaming experience.

The guides aren't always right and someone who talks a good game having no experience of the skill for themselves has no idea of what might work best. Your waterfiends example shows that the lvl 130 might have done whats best for them and it could well work for those they are talking to. I'm pretty sure a lvl 130 would also be reading any guides for themselves at some point as we all do. I'd sooner trust a 130 on the issue instead of the level 3. In fact, only recently a lvl 120 something who I met at Barrows gave me some advice based on his own experience. I tried it and it worked. I couldn't get that from a level 3 skiller.

Again, experience counts for everything. I could read up on all the theory in the world but that doesn't mean I'm right, particularly when you get to subjectivity of a skill. In fact your point about subjectivity is, on the contrary, valid. Everyone analyses what is best for them , particularly at higher levels. You can't get that from reading guides, its your own gaming experience.

The guides aren't always right and someone who talks a good game having no experience of the skill for themselves has no idea of what might work best. Your waterfiends example shows that the lvl 130 might have done whats best for them and it could well work for those they are talking to. I'm pretty sure a lvl 130 would also be reading any guides for themselves at some point as we all do. I'd sooner trust a 130 on the issue instead of the level 3. In fact, only recently a lvl 120 something who I met at Barrows gave me some advice based on his own experience. I tried it and it worked. I couldn't get that from a level 3 skiller.

Bias and one-sided.

If you say the guides might not be always right, then what about the player? Just because they've done something before and have experience in it, doesn't mean their opinion will ALWAYS be "right". Even if their way of doing things works perfectly fine for them, different people have different ways of doing things and his way might not work (as well) for you/anyone else.

You're contradicting your own arguments. In the first paragraph you talked about how the guides don't always provide a good way to do things for you as they can't cater to everyone. Then in the second paragraph you completely contradicted your arguments by stating that the players' opinions are more reliable than guides. The players WROTE the guide, based on their experience. So if A reads the guide, he has more-or-less the same information as B who asked the player who wrote the guide. So there's basically NO difference between reading a guide and asking a player who has experience in the game.

Ok, so after a player reads a guide/asks an experienced player about a certain aspect of the game, he decides to try out the method stated. He finds that it doesn't work well for him because of personal issues/something like that. Therefore he modifies the method to suit his own liking, after some experience in doing that particular thing. So this player is currently more "experienced" than a player who hasn't done anything related to that particular aspect of the game. But experience and tips/hints/methods of doing something are ALWAYS subjective. So EFFECTIVELY the experienced player cannot give better advice than the ignorant player, unless the experienced player has almost-identical attitudes/character to the person who he is giving advice to. Which is rather unlikely, since everyone is unique. Even if both of them, for example, are impatient, one might prefer cheaper methods whereas the other prefers methods with less quest/skill requirements or something like that.

I may not get a chance to play RS as much as I used too, but I certainly think my opinion has as much value on some topics as any other person. You can never judge a book by a cover.

Yes a higher level may appear to have more experience. But so may a lower level. How do you get experience? Is it by playing longer? Being a higher level? Technically it's either.

That level 3 skiller could have been playing for over two years and has watched things, and people come and go. Whilst that higher level could have been playing for two months.

You're contradicting your own arguments. In the first paragraph you talked about how the guides don't always provide a good way to do things for you as they can't cater to everyone. Then in the second paragraph you completely contradicted your arguments by stating that the players' opinions are more reliable than guides. The players WROTE the guide, based on their experience. So if A reads the guide, he has more-or-less the same information as B who asked the player who wrote the guide. So there's basically NO difference between reading a guide and asking a player who has experience in the game.

That is everything I really need to say in a nutshell.

Pgkhqob.jpg

Proud Tip.It Moderator December 07 - October 2009
Proud TETAU Member 2006 - 2007 <3
"I had a standing agreement with god. I'd agree to believe in him, barely, so long as he let me sleep in on Sundays." - Rose Hathaway
[ Posting & You ] [ Forum Rules ] [ Next Tetau Event ]

About the level 3 skiller thing...

Keep in mind that he/she has a main account that is high-leveled. That's the reason why there are skillers/pures/etc.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

I may not get a chance to play RS as much as I used too, but I certainly think my opinion has as much value on some topics as any other person. You can never judge a book by a cover.

Yes a higher level may appear to have more experience. But so may a lower level. How do you get experience? Is it by playing longer? Being a higher level? Technically it's either.

That level 3 skiller could have been playing for over two years and has watched things, and people come and go. Whilst that higher level could have been playing for two months.

The players WROTE the guide, based on their experience. So if A reads the guide, he has more-or-less the same information as B who asked the player who wrote the guide. So there's basically NO difference between reading a guide and asking a player who has experience in the game.

I think that we should bear in mind that what is being referred to here are 'Guides' and only guides, hence they are there to supply guidance on how you could play a particular aspect of the game. But like everything else only experiencing it will tell you what suits you best, as in my agility example.

If a guide advises one method of smithing for example, but a lvl 3 skiller with high lvl smithing suggested another way of doing it, that maybe more enjoyable, profitable or provide higher xp (whatever your preference is), then I am likely to try that method, I think that is common sense. If you only applied gaming methods that were on the guides, where is the adventure? The individualised game play? Someone who has no direct experience may only provide information they have read or been told, without confirming anything from their own experience.

Therefore I disagree with the points made in the quotes. And its not always about combat level, it depends on the advice or opinion you are asking. It is subjective to the topic and the person with the experience.

Langer:

I agree that the best experience advice is from those who have thought about it, but as in my point above, fun is as much a valid argument as others. One player may have found that doing something such a way was good fun and/or xp, and although subjective could suit the person asking.

Sonic3190:

Keep in mind that he/she has a main account that is high-leveled. That's the reason why there are skillers/pures/etc.

A completely incorrect assumption.....they may have another account. And as I said it not necessarily about high combat stats. Its about experience in the skill or combat.

35cq0q9.png

Guest jrhairychest
Bias and one-sided.

Is that so? This is the same guy that thinks that skillcapes are bad and that putting any effort in the game is bad:

Oh wow, I decided not to waste more of my time grinding away at some virtual stats in an online game. Anything wrong with that? For your information, I happen to have other things to do other than wasting my life away trying to get some stats that will be gone in time anyway, UNLIKE you.

Be careful where you tread Quel as you reap what you sow. The bias comes from yourself on this forum when its plain to see what you think of RS, then you continue to post. I think its guys like you who Erewhon2 is talking about, and it’s clear why. In your case you post because you spite everyone else and the game itself, but you get pretty angry when people point this out as well as deficiencies in your stats as you have no real experience of half the things talked about in the forums.

If you say the guides might not be always right, then what about the player? Just because they've done something before and have experience in it, doesn't mean their opinion will ALWAYS be "right". Even if their way of doing things works perfectly fine for them, different people have different ways of doing things and his way might not work (as well) for you/anyone else.

Player experience is vital. Read all the guides you want but it doesn’t prepare anyone for the reality of doing something.

Who is contradicting themselves? Guides are based on ‘those’ particular players experience. Anyone can spout knowledge off guides, but they don’t cover the ifs, buts, and maybe’s. For instance I hear about players making a few mill a day on slayer or barrows for instance. I make the same doing thieving but very few do it or know how except for those who already know.

Ok, so after a player reads a guide/asks an experienced player about a certain aspect of the game, he decides to try out the method stated. He finds that it doesn't work well for him because of personal issues/something like that. Therefore he modifies the method to suit his own liking, after some experience in doing that particular thing. So this player is currently more "experienced" than a player who hasn't done anything related to that particular aspect of the game. But experience and tips/hints/methods of doing something are ALWAYS subjective. So EFFECTIVELY the experienced player cannot give better advice than the ignorant player, unless the experienced player has almost-identical attitudes/character to the person who he is giving advice to. Which is rather unlikely, since everyone is unique. Even if both of them, for example, are impatient, one might prefer cheaper methods whereas the other prefers methods with less quest/skill requirements or something like that.

I think you’ve just pointed out that the player has become self-experienced and comparing what works/doesn’t work for individuals (not sure about personal issues). You don’t get that from guides. Your example shows a player adapting to meet their own needs via experience. Enough said.

Aren’t they drawing on their own ‘Experience’?

There is no substitute for experience. Anyone can be a genius in the theory of anything, but putting that into practice is something else. Put something practical in front of anyone and its a whole different ball game.

So you didn’t notice the guides state ‘players experience’? You can honestly state a guide is as good as actually doing something? The trouble is with quite a few of the replies is that there are players who 'think' they know a lot about the game, and don't like to be told otherwise. Its a part of the gaming arrogance that players pick up. Ask me questions about summonning, hunter, Godwars etc. I wouldn't be in a position to tell you and I wouldn't be arrogant enough to think I could either.