Hope it plays, or ��â�š���£25 wasted

Umega

I am now getting bored of RuneScape, so I thought I buy World of WarCraft from Amazon. Now I have one big concern for this game: Will it work on my computer? I very rarley buy PC games because I don't know if it will work on my computer or not. I bought Diablo 2 + LoD recently about 2 and a half years ago and played fine, the game came to and end for me and the disc shattered inside the drive, my Rollercoster Tycoon disc also shattered in the drive in another computer I had, so I'm thinking any PC game I have is cursed or I have very bad luck. That's why I play RuneScape, it gets the occasional crash, but still works and plays perfectly fine most of the time.

So I HOPE WoW plays ok on my computer, though I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't, it would probably came up with some stupid error or something while starting up. Though broadband and 2.2ghz should complement the game nicley.

What do you think? :?

No longer playing Runescape, I caught the WoW bug.

I play wow sometimes as well ( no game time at the moment)

Most important thing for wow seems to be ram, 512 should be enough.

You can change the video settings for slower computers anyway.

Hope you have fun playing and remember not to play to much ;)

tmpphpnppgpw.png

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/faq/technology.html

What are the game's system requirements?

WindowsÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâî System 98/ME/2000/XP OS:

* 800 MHz or higher CPU

* 256 MB or more of RAM

* 32 MB 3D graphics card with hardware transform and lighting, such as GeForce 2 or better

* 5 GB or more of available hard drive space

* DirectXÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâî 9.0c or above

* A 56k or higher modem with an Internet connection

Also yeah I would be concerned about discs shattering. That shouldn't happen.

sig2ho7.jpg

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/faq/technology.html

What are the game's system requirements?

WindowsÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâî System 98/ME/2000/XP OS:

* 800 MHz or higher CPU

* 256 MB or more of RAM

* 32 MB 3D graphics card with hardware transform and lighting, such as GeForce 2 or better

* 5 GB or more of available hard drive space

* DirectXÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâî 9.0c or above

* A 56k or higher modem with an Internet connection

Also yeah I would be concerned about discs shattering. That shouldn't happen.

those are min requirements, playing on lowest video settings (pretty shocking)

But yeah, im sure you will be able to run the game fine, the problem is that in certain areas of the game (Ironforge, Ogrimmar) there is an incredible number of people within the one area and i'm pretty sure that's where RAM comes in.

You will be able to run wow, but if it's not to much trouble try updating the ram.

tmpphpnppgpw.png

Guest andyizcool

You know RAM isn't everything. I have 1280MB (1GB + 256MB) and that's more than the recommended on most pc games yet they're lagging. It's the fact that I need a 128MB or 256MB graphics card so they can handle the graphics which I will be buying soon. However you should get another 256MB or 512MB or RAM. You also want a decent 2GHz+ Processor not Intel Celeron.

rofl. hit reply instead of new topic :( lol

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

Oh hmm, I just found out I have 256 mb ram and 1.74ghz.....uh oh :?

see what you can do about updating it ;)

Yeah, but I'm no good at updating computers or how to do them. So I'm pretty much stuck with 256mb ram. :|

No longer playing Runescape, I caught the WoW bug.

Yeah, but I'm no good at updating computers or how to do them. So I'm pretty much stuck with 256mb ram. :|

not hard, go to some comp store, buy another 256 for $30 US (how much mine was :? ), open up your CPU, put it into the RAM slot, ta da! :)

rangesig.gif

not hard, go to some comp store, buy another 256 for $30 US (how much mine was :? ), open up your CPU, put it into the RAM slot, ta da! :)

Yeah, cause static electricity is nothing to worry about :roll:. I would not recommend opening up your computer to work in it unless you have some experience.

Yeah, cause static electricity is nothing to worry about :roll:. I would not recommend opening up your computer to work in it unless you have some experience.

I didn't have any experience and did it :? but yeah DO turn it off, and ground yourself too if you can :P

rangesig.gif

unless he has been rolling on a carpet all day then i doubt he would have enough static to do anything but just incase u have all u need to do is touch a metal part of ur computer case and ur sorted

unless he has been rolling on a carpet all day then i doubt he would have enough static to do anything but just incase u have all u need to do is touch a metal part of ur computer case and ur sorted

Yeah, all you need to do to ground yourself is just touch something metal....

He'd probably ground himself by accident :)

smithie3.jpg

I just posted something! ^_^ to the terrorist...er... kirbybeam.

ive never worried about static. and ive replace many parts, and never had any problems. the case is metal, and you most likely get grounded from that. upgrading ram is easy, all you do is plug it in. you dont even have to know what kind of ram to get, just go to the store and tell them what computer you got and they will give you the right stuff (assuming they know anything, most of them do). id definently get 256 more at least, id say just go get a stick of 512, that would give you 768. you can get by with a 1.7 processor.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

Touching metal will only ensure you are carry as much static electricity as the item in question, and if the item is not grounded you could end up charging the case instead of it actually doing anything helpfull. I recomend purchasing a cable to connect your wrist to the case (there are special cables for this, don't just use a spare copper wire since you want one with resistance in it), and to touch a radiator (water, not electrical) or something similar that you know is grounded before you connect it. This takes very little effort and reduces the chances of doing getting any ESD-damage whatsoever enormously. Look at it as cheap insurance.

ESD does more damage than people think. How many volts run in the mobo/ram/whatever usually? It varies, but hardly ever more than 12v. Electrostatic discharges of a few hundred volts aren't exaclty rare, and obviously you do not want that to happen inside your computer.

Many believe that if you plug in a component and it works, you are guaranteed to have avoided ESD-related damage. Unfortunately, this is not true. ESD's can happen and cause problems many months later, or simply reduce stability on some components.

Could you install components without taking my advice? Yeah, probably. After all, the chance of damage isn't that big. However, it does exist. I'm not going to argue that proper care of hardware is "the win", but I will point out that if there is one easy way to eliminate a potetential problem, this is it. I would personally never install any components without using some kind of wrist - case link.

ESD-stuff

i touch the actual cage part, not just the out side cover, and i leave it plugged in. does that ground me? im not sure since the power cable has a ground on it.

you leave it plugged in!!!!?!? :shock:

That's the first thing, always unplug it

smithie3.jpg

I just posted something! ^_^ to the terrorist...er... kirbybeam.

ESD-stuff

i touch the actual cage part, not just the out side cover, and i leave it plugged in. does that ground me? im not sure since the power cable has a ground on it.

you leave it plugged in!!!!?!? :shock:

That's the first thing, always unplug it

i remeber reading somewhere with windows xp based computers you can add RAM while the computer is actually turned on and running. ive never really bothered to unplug the computers when i add stuff to them, ive added ram, hard drives (and remove and readd, many times) and ive been switching video cards around a lot lately. ive never had any problems.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

Touching metal will only ensure you are carry as much static electricity as the item in question, and if the item is not grounded you could end up charging the case instead of it actually doing anything helpfull. I recomend purchasing a cable to connect your wrist to the case (there are special cables for this, don't just use a spare copper wire since you want one with resistance in it), and to touch a radiator (water, not electrical) or something similar that you know is grounded before you connect it. This takes very little effort and reduces the chances of doing getting any ESD-damage whatsoever enormously. Look at it as cheap insurance.

ESD does more damage than people think. How many volts run in the mobo/ram/whatever usually? It varies, but hardly ever more than 12v. Electrostatic discharges of a few hundred volts aren't exaclty rare, and obviously you do not want that to happen inside your computer.

Many believe that if you plug in a component and it works, you are guaranteed to have avoided ESD-related damage. Unfortunately, this is not true. ESD's can happen and cause problems many months later, or simply reduce stability on some components.

Could you install components without taking my advice? Yeah, probably. After all, the chance of damage isn't that big. However, it does exist. I'm not going to argue that proper care of hardware is "the win", but I will point out that if there is one easy way to eliminate a potetential problem, this is it. I would personally never install any components without using some kind of wrist - case link.

Exactly. Generally it's not an issue, but why take chances?

i remeber reading somewhere with windows xp based computers you can add RAM while the computer is actually turned on and running. ive never really bothered to unplug the computers when i add stuff to them, ive added ram, hard drives (and remove and readd, many times) and ive been switching video cards around a lot lately. ive never had any problems.

Yes and no. There is no such thing as Windows-based computers though, but some parts of the computer do support alteration when in use. The most popular example are S-ATA harddrives, which support hotswap and can be installed and removed while running without any problem at all. However, RAM DIMM's do not support this. While it is quite possible that installing RAM while the computer is turned will occasionally work, it should not be attempted. As a general rule, to avoid any damage, all types of work inside the case should be done while the computer is turned off, and installing a component should be followed by a cold boot (IE: Don't use hibernate or similar features).