Sharpened Weapons, Buffered Armour

sees_all1

So, anything you smith before adamant plate bodies will widely be considered junk. The goal of this update is to make weapons worth more experience, so that they're worth more. The goal is to also make having a higher smithing level actually give players a bonus in game, similar to herblore.

Sharpening a weapon gives one third of the experience used to smith that item. A player may attempt to sharpen a weapon up to two times, with the indication of blunt, honed (h), and razor (r.). With each attempt at sharpening the weapon, a player may fail to sharpen it, receiving no experience and thus destroying the weapon. A destroyed weapon then becomes scrap - scrap is smith-able into bars, for the full amount of experience. It takes three pieces of scrap to make a bar, and each failed weapon gives up to two pieces of scrap times the number of bars that went in (the higher your smithing level, the more you get back).

Players may not sharpen bolts, dart tips, nails, arrow heads, limbs, throwing knives, or warhammers.

A blunt weapon gives no bonus to its stats, as it would be exactly like smithing the normal object.

A honed weapon gives +15% bonus to its attack stats, and a +10% strength bonus.

A razor weapon gives +30% bonus to its attack stats, and a +20% strength bonus.

Honed and razor weapons are not tradable, and may be used on PVP or BH worlds. However, if used on PVP or BH worlds, the weapons will degrade faster. Players are limited to banking 100 honed and 100 razor weapons of each type of weapon.

Honed and razor weapons typically have a lifespan of 3 fighting hours, after that they either become blunt, or scrap (depends on the player's smithing level). On a PVP or BH world, they have a lifespan of 15 fighting minutes, and are guarenteed to become scrap afterwards.

It is possible to request assist.

Buffering Armour is the same concept, except its adding more metal to armour. It takes 1 bar to buffer a piece of armour, with a chance of failure depending on level. If a player fails to smith, they lose the bar. Buffered armour is tradable and may be used in BH or PVP. It gives a 10% defense bonus to every category, and a -5% defense bonus to magic defense. Buffered armour has a lifespan of 1 hour, and if worn may not be traded. Buffered armour degrades into regular armour. Players are limited to banking 100 buffered pieces of each type of armour.

Warhammers are abled to be buffered, it gives the weapon a +30% bonus to its attack stats and a 20% bonus to strength. It is not tradable, but may be used in PVP or BH. The buffered warhammer has a lifespan of 3 fighting hours, or 15 minutes on a PVP or BH world.

Probability of failure is determined by smithing level. Players with 50% of the level required to make that item are able to attempt to sharpen or buffer weapons and armor. Players with the level required to smith, +2 will never fail. However, sharpening a weapon from honed (h) to razor (r.) will always have an inherit chance of failure at 20% in addition to their chance of failure.

Thoughts? Comments?

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

This is a pretty good idea.

If I could make a suggestion, at 99 smithing, you should be able to sharpen most dragon weapons. This will give them a bit more use, as well as giving 99 smithing a usage other than smithing rune plates. I'm not sure if yo should be able to buffer dragon armor though, it would probably a bit overpowered.

Do you think that Razor Rune weapons should have a special attack? If you think about it, they would deserve it, but again, could be overpowered.

I support.

Why shouldn't Honed and Razor weapons be allowed on pvp servers? Shouldn't those who spent time on other skills besides combat get a chance to have an advantage for once?

That's what everyone said about Extreme potions. Take them out now, to avoid all the ranting.

I support, sounds like a promising idea.

#KERR2016/17/18/19/20/21.

#rpgformod

Why shouldn't Honed and Razor weapons be allowed on pvp servers? Shouldn't those who spent time on other skills besides combat get a chance to have an advantage for once?

That's what everyone said about Extreme potions. Take them out now, to avoid all the ranting.

I support, sounds like a promising idea.

Jagex is missing a huge opportunity to please the masses. They could potentially please those who grind a few skills and those who train many skills at once.

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

Sharpened Weapons are still untradable, but you're able to request assist now. They're also available with a shortened lifespan on PVP and BH, but degrade to scrap always. This should be a better balance than what I had before, and allows all players to take advantage of it (however, players with a higher smithing level won't have to find someone to help them out).

@hedgehog

I'll put in the update for dragon weapons once I can figure out the levels needed. It'll probably start somewhere around level 50-60.

♪♪ And I'm not done

Dragon dagger sharpened will be the new claws?

Maybe, probably not though. An easy way around making it too powerful would be either remove the spec, or make it as powerful as the old spec (ignore the strength bonus).

I'm still toying around with that idea.

Also, honed or razor claws would definitely be bad combined with a special. Give me a few days to hammer this one out.

♪♪ And I'm not done

Make it not able to use request to use make these and I'll love this suggestion. If it were request assistable this wouldn't help make bring smithing back much because anyone can just go request assist from some random guy with 99 smithing. Make it like herblore a high level update that actually requires high levels to use.

I don't see how this helps Adamant and below weapons. Everyone will still just be ignoring adamant (and below) weapons and just sharpening rune weapons. The only reason I can think of that people would want to sharpen adamant is so that when he/she fails to sharpen it the loss isn't as great.

I love this idea. I do have some suggestions/comments/opinions though.

-Buffering platebodies and kitesheilds should require 2 bars.

-A buffered war hammer should have a slower attack rate.

-All buffered items should weigh a little bit more.

-As buffering/sharpening wears of the bonuses it provides should also decrease. (ie. after 1 hour of combat a honed weapons bonuses would be 2/3 that of an unused weapon)

-There should be a limit on the number of times a weapon can be sharpened. I suggest 5.

-Having a limit on the number of these items that can be banked seems silly.

-Ranged weapons/ammo could be sharpened if you increase the number of scraps required to make a bar to 5. A failed sharpening would result in 1 pieces of scrap. Sharpened ranged items would be one time use only.

-Failed buffering should result in scrap (2 per bar) instead of lost bars.

@Crimson

I like your suggested improvements, and I'll update the OP as soon as I can figure out how to treat Dragon weapons / armour.

@quelmotz

It helps adamant and below because weapons are now worth XP, where before they were not, and still widely considered junk. People will be willing to pay more than 1 gp for a steel scimitar because its worth a few xp.

Question: Should black weapons be included? There is no such thing as a dragon bar, so why should dragon armour be included over black armour...

♪♪ And I'm not done

Question: Should black weapons be included? There is no such thing as a dragon bar, so why should dragon armour be included over black armour...

If you can find a good way to incorporate them without messing up the level requirements of the other metals, then go ahead. I personally don't think there will be much of a difference whether they get added in or not, so you might as well.

I'm glad you liked my ideas, after I posted them I kinda felt like I was hijacking your original concept. I also realized that I forgot that there is also two types of helms and so full helms should also require 2 bars to buffer.

Rereading your original post I also feel that 3 hours of PvM or 15 minutes of PvP combat is to little. Perhaps 5 hours PvM and 30 minutes PvP would be more suitable. Also, maces, like warhammers, should probably be buffered not sharpened.

As for the issues of Dragon and Black I see two possibilities. 1) Limit sharpening and buffering to smithable items only, after all they an are addition to the smithing skill. 2) Black items could be buffered using two steel bars (3 for for kites, plates and full helms), Dragon could be buffered with two rune bars (3 for kites, plates and full helms

There is still one armour/weapon type that hasn't been considered. White. It has the same stats as black accept that it also gives a small prayer bonus. If black is to be buffer/sharpen-able I believe that White should be as well. This would not effect it's prayer bonuses.

I apologize for my excessive input, smithing and melee combat just happen to be two of my top three favourite things in RuneScape (magic is the other).

I'm glad you liked my ideas, after I posted them I kinda felt like I was hijacking your original concept. I also realized that I forgot that there is also two types of helms and so full helms should also require 2 bars to buffer.

Rereading your original post I also feel that 3 hours of PvM or 15 minutes of PvP combat is to little. Perhaps 5 hours PvM and 30 minutes PvP would be more suitable. Also, maces, like warhammers, should probably be buffered not sharpened.

As for the issues of Dragon and Black I see two possibilities. 1) Limit sharpening and buffering to smithable items only, after all they an are addition to the smithing skill. 2) Black items could be buffered using two steel bars (3 for for kites, plates and full helms), Dragon could be buffered with two rune bars (3 for kites, plates and full helms

There is still one armour/weapon type that hasn't been considered. White. It has the same stats as black accept that it also gives a small prayer bonus. If black is to be buffer/sharpen-able I believe that White should be as well. This would not effect it's prayer bonuses.

I apologize for my excessive input, smithing and melee combat just happen to be two of my top three favourite things in RuneScape (magic is the other).

You should take a look at my other idea that's been floating around for a long time, the spellbook. Then you'll know that I love incorporating input, I figure a product of the masses usually is better than something I could dream up myself.

I'll probably have this idea in a better shape by monday.

♪♪ And I'm not done

@quelmotz

It helps adamant and below because weapons are now worth XP, where before they were not, and still widely considered junk. People will be willing to pay more than 1 gp for a steel scimitar because its worth a few xp.

Hmm...good point, I never thought of that.

I think it's a good idea. It creates a cycle in the world of smithing, which is beneficial. It also will lower the price of ores since the demand for them is no longer as high, which is also good since their normal price is supposed to be below that of bars...

Alright, so after some thought, here's what I've come up with for dragon:

Item           Level able    Level guaranteed (theoretical)
dagger           60            122
axe              61            123
mace             61            124
med helm         62            125
bolts            62            125
dart tips        62            126
sword            62            126
arrow heads      63            127
hasta            63            127
scimitar         63            127
spear            63            127
pickaxe          63            127
limbs            63            128
long sword       63            128
throwing knives  64            129
full helm        64            129
square shield    64            130
warhammer        65            131
battle axe       65            132
chain body       66            133
kite shield      66            134
claws            67            135
2 hand sword     67            136
plate skirt      68            138
plate legs       68            138
plate body       69            140

Crossbow limbs aren't sharpened, they would be buffered (not that there's any in existence yet, or kite shields for that matter).

I'm probably going to change the amount of scrap that comes back. Experience would be about 2-3x as much as adamant gives.

Also, I'm thinking there should be a way to obtain dragon bars. Something like, use a fully charged dragonfire shield on a runite and steel bar, or you have to expose a runite bar to a dragon's breathe using some new shield which holds a couple. Idk, this idea is still in its infancy. Once I get the details hammered out, I'll post to the RSOF.

Thanks for the feedback.

♪♪ And I'm not done

I'd say scrap black armour... sharpening black armor may make killing the tormented wraith too easy.

So by your logic, sharpening rune weapons and buffering rune armor will make killing Elvarg in F2P too easy. And sharpening/buffering the bronze/iron/whatever armor you're supposed to wear in Black Knight's Castle will make it too easy!

Yeah but black weapons are the only weapons you can use at the wraith. Add the fact that no black bars exist ingame and that black is painted steel (Or so i believe). It will just overly complicate things.

I'm just offering a viewpoint on the black bar discussion. Besides Rune is expensive (In comparison to black) It would be much easier to amass a large number of black scims (+30%) than to spend a hundred K to get a good scimmy.

buying a couple dozen black scimmies would help very much in killing the wraith. A 30% increase for an hour of extra damage will pay for all the failed (less than 30%) Sharpenings. Combined with the wraiths fast respawn and other damage boosting content i think the wraith might just be a bit too easy to kill.

Yeah but black weapons are the only weapons you can use at the wraith. Add the fact that no black bars exist ingame and that black is painted steel (Or so i believe). It will just overly complicate things.

I'm just offering a viewpoint on the black bar discussion. Besides Rune is expensive (In comparison to black) It would be much easier to amass a large number of black scims (+30%) than to spend a hundred K to get a good scimmy.

buying a couple dozen black scimmies would help very much in killing the wraith. A 30% increase for an hour of extra damage will pay for all the failed (less than 30%) Sharpenings. Combined with the wraiths fast respawn and other damage boosting content i think the wraith might just be a bit too easy to kill.

I'd rather get the mechanics of dragon armour / bars done right before I concentrate on black / white armour, as I can see sharpened dragon weapons and buffered armour be used much more frequently in game.

Because black and white armour are (basically) steel, they can have the same levels as steel but different rates. Coloring it makes it more brittle? Who knows. But like I said, I'd prefer to have a solid dragon expansion before I tackle the other unsmithables.

♪♪ And I'm not done