droids versus clones

dragon246665

So I'm not sure if this should go in the movies section, so a mod can move this if nesscesary.

One thing I've always wondered is why the battledroids seemed to be consistantly worse then the clones in the starwars movies. I mean, think about it, the droids would have better aim, they would never need to sleep (assuming they had some sort of replaceable power source, like batteries from the future),

they would never need to eat (which would severly cut costs for maintaining an army),

they would be stronger, which would enable them to carry better armor, more supplies, bigger guns, and more

able to communicate with each other faster then any clone could,

after a battle the droids could, to an extent, pick up their fallen comrades and reclyle bits of them,

the droids would never have any moral issues (I.E, even if they know they're going to die it won't effect their fighting ability),

they could be produced much faster then clones (it takes ten years to make a clone battle ready, but a droid just minutes),

there would always be the perfect soldier for the job (as in, whenever a specific job needs to be fufilled a type of droid could be created for just that purpose)

droids could be transported much more efficiently (you could fit dozens of them onto a single transport, wheres clones would need room to sit or stand)

I mean it just seems like the droids would have an unbeatable advantage over the clones. What do you guys think, am I just totally wrong, in what ways were the clones superior to the droids?

Rejected.jpg

The droids do have every right to out gun and out run the clones, especially on planets with less than habitable qualities, but it's Star WArs and the good guys always win. The clones had Jedi support, which aparently is instant win. You're also supposed to believe that the droid army was based on quanity>quality and that they were more or less thrown together with minimal inteligence. The Clones on the other hand underwent lots of training and are backed with non-friendly fire weapons, and over all battle tactics and athleticism. They are after all "super" clones of the great Jango Fett. Plus the Republic overall had many more resources, as the Seperatists only had a few select systems willing to leave the Republic for such a radical change.

I guess the Force was with them.

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

You're also supposed to believe that the droid army was based on quanity>quality and that they were more or less thrown together with minimal inteligence. The Clones on the other hand underwent lots of training and are backed with non-friendly fire weapons, and over all battle tactics and athleticism. They are after all "super" clones of the great Jango Fett.

This pretty much. The droids are painted as a really cheaply made mass produced army that you're supposed to aim at your enemy and hope for the best with. The clones are supposed to be super soldiers that actually have intelligence and skill.

Jar-Jar Binks could kill the droids. That doesn't say much for them. It took Mace Windu to kill Jango Fett.

Think of it this way: Droids are the Imperial Guardsmen of the Star Wars universe, clones the Space Marines. Jedi don't exist in this metaphor. But it is interesting to note that the clones (later stormtroopers) suddenly had terrible aim after they were "evil".

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

It seems to me that in every movie is "Big, rich, powerful empire-like-company that has a HUGE army and vehicles and whatnot, vs. Smaller group with rag-tag soldiers, not much hope it seems, and limited supplies/weapons/vehicles." And yet, SOMEHOW, the rag-tag army has ONE person that can do what the entire army can't do. BY HIMSELF. And the big empire company can't do ANYTHING about it, like say, ooooh I don't know, SHOOT HIM/HER. Just once I'd like to see the hero get headshotted by a sniper, like how it SHOULD happen, but no, never any spies, no snipers, nothing. Always the same. This is what I think whenever I see any of the Star Wars movies.

Think of it this way: Droids are the Imperial Guardsmen of the Star Wars universe, clones the Space Marines. Jedi don't exist in this metaphor. But it is interesting to note that the clones (later stormtroopers) suddenly had terrible aim after they were "evil".

They weren't 3d pictures back then were they :razz:.

Unfinished netherrack symbol of Khorne.

Never forget. ~creeper face w/single tear~

DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES TOO?!?!

From what I understand, the Empire started to rely less on clones when they became imperialized and started to recuit folks.

And what I always read/heard, driods don't have a compariable intelect for strategy and tactics when events change and whatsonot. Though, driods like R2-D2 and that bounty-hunter one disprove that...

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Though, driods like R2-D2 and that bounty-hunter one disprove that...

But those driods were after the Separatists (?) and the clone wars weren't they? :geek:

Unfinished netherrack symbol of Khorne.

Never forget. ~creeper face w/single tear~

DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES TOO?!?!

You also have to consider that the Clones age twice as fast as humans, and Ep IV happened nearly 30 years after the clones were already in their mid 20's. Most of the Stormtroopers were probably old farts by the time the Empire was in full stride. And according to Battlefront II, the Empire destroyed the cloning facilities on Kamino to prevent a clone uprising. So the Empire was using old clones, and probably less than willing volunteers.

Also, IG-88, the "bounty-hunter droid" is an assasin droid, specifically programmed to be a killing machine. Not produced by the seperatists. R2-D2 is an exceptionally intelligent droid for no significant reason. Honestly, R2 has no right to be anything more than an astromech, but became one of the only characters in the galaxy to survive both the Clone Wars, and the Galactic Civil War.

Exactly! If there are droids like R2 and those assasin droids, don't you think that the battledroids would have similar programs and such, I mean are the seperatists really so cheap that they can't shell out a couple extra bucks for the software upgrade?

Think "cheap plastic trinkets that China busts out by the billions". Or, better yet, McDonalds. They removed a slice of cheese in order to save thousands. Not that that's a big deal, but they still have a cheaper burger with less.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

And I imagine the Seperatists were a bit short on money considering they seperated from the Republic because they felt it wasn't an effective way of supoprting their respective system. They were the original rebels, sort of rag-tag fighting Big Brother. The fact that they had such an army at all is impressive. But I suppose we have the Trade Fedeartion to thank for that.

I don't know if any of you guys watch Star Wars The Clone Wars (TV Cartoon Series) that has been on Cartoon Network. But in there, the Separatists have come up with some pretty awesome droids. Assassin droids, spy droids, etc. But on an army level, Super Battle Droids have given the Clones a fight.

They combine heavy armor, accuracy, strength, and really only lack agility. Course, there is still not as many of them compared to regular battle droids. I don't know why they even still built them once they had Super Battle droids, which are superior. Even if they had less droids, it would have made more sense to only build Super Battle Droids.

Regular idiotic battle droids suck, but that is not to say that there have been droids that can easily take out clones (and if any of you watch the new TV series, there are a few droids that can almost match Jedi).

Big_Stingman.png

The new clone wars TV series, although entertaining grossly overestimates Jedi prowess, and makes the doids seem idiotic. The original animated Clone Wars series [predating Episode III's release] was the [cabbage]. And it was accurate to a "T". Some droids were maginficantly programmed and built, but ran short in number. Again, quantity>quality.