Legality of autobumping

sees_all1

Hi

Reading through this discussion i still can't quite understand why anyone would make a bot to auto-bump a thread ?

If a thread don't get any or only a few replies then i think it would be a fair assumption that the content of the post didn't interest the majority of the users, so why should they keep getting a thread (which only the author has an interest in) smacked in their face everytime they view a particular category :shame:

Think of it for a minute...:

If this was allowed then none of us would be able to make a new thread and have it visible on the frontpage of the chosen category more than a few seconds, because everyone would use the macro auto-refresh in order to get their thread on top :ohnoes:

Just my 2c

Hi

Reading through this discussion i still can't quite understand why anyone would make a bot to auto-bump a thread ?

If a thread don't get any or only a few replies then i think it would be a fair assumption that the content of the post didn't interest the majority of the users, so why should they keep getting a thread (which only the author has an interest in) smacked in their face everytime they view a particular category :shame:

Think of it for a minute...:

If this was allowed then none of us would be able to make a new thread and have it visible on the frontpage of the chosen category more than a few seconds, because everyone would use the macro auto-refresh in order to get their thread on top :ohnoes:

Just my 2c

This isnt tip.it we are talking about, this is the RSOF. It is filled with spam threads and legitimate threads are pushed past Page 50. In RSOF you have to continuously bump your threads or the spammers will eventually beat you out.

Of course MMORGP was a spelling mistake.

Also, we are in real life, where things are handled by the spirit of the rule, we don't need a definition like in sciences or mathematics to know what the game is.

Not the point I was trying to make:

Where is it that RuneScape is bundled with its Forum when it refers to "the game"?

I can quite plainly understand why they don't want macroers playing RuneScape. But the way you've defined the game, it would be illegal/bannable to have something auto-archive the forums (or a webcrawler like Google or Yahoo!)

Other than that: making a bot program yourself IS considered as a third party program. The term third party program is used because 99% of the bots use a bought botting program. It doesn't mean if you make a bot yourself, you'll be legally botting.

Jagex is the first party, I'm the second party. Anything I create for personal use is second party? Anything you get from anyone else is third party. I vs. You vs. It; unless I'm mistaken. Please show me a definition from somewhere reputable that third party is something I make, when the agreement is between Jagex and me. Anything I buy or download from someone else is a third party, but I wouldn't be doing that.

The botting program DOES bypass the normal investigation: you would get logged out of the runescape website after like 1 hour, now you won't get logged out.

It also DOES give yourself an unfair advantage: the forums are created that unpopular threads get eaten by the page 51 monster. You stop this monster from feeding itself, whereas other players don't have the chance to automatically stop it. Therefore this IS an unfair advantage.

There's absolutely no benefit to having my account logged into the RuneScape main page

I understand this as it applies to interaction between RuneScape and the RSOF, i.e. buying and selling, recruiting for clans, etc.

Bumping a thread which has bugs/suggestions doesn't benefit me at all in game. I also understand the rationale behind saying, no, no one should do this.

By the way, if they meant to include forums in this, they would have explicitly said so. Notice wherever the rule is applicable to the forums, they say so.

Macroing and use of bots or third-party software

You must not use any other program, or tool which gives you an unfair advantage over others.

You must not attempt to use other programs (e.g. bots, macros or autominers) in conjunction with our games to give yourself an unfair advantage. Also, you may not circumvent any of our mechanisms designed to automatically log out inactive users.

Discussing or advertising any such software or activities is not allowed on the forums. Any posts about these subjects will be removed and action may be taken against your account as posting about it may only encourage the use of such software.

Alright, since no one seems to have an outright answer, I'm going to have a mod lock this. Feel free to PM me if you have anything else to say to me that's worthwhile.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

You're better off asking Jagex themselves if you can, since none of us can give a definite answer. I'd say play it on the safe side and don't use a macro, just on the off chance that Jagex does detect it.

Anyways locked, as we can't really answer your question.

Forum Updates & Suggestions <------ Let your voice be heard!
Forum Games <------- Coolest place on Tip.It
Tip.It Forum Rules <------- Read them!