Legality of autobumping

sees_all1

Would it be against the rules to write a script which bumps (your own) RSOF thread every 10-20 minutes?

I understand that macroing in game is strictly against the rules, but this isn't in game?

Let me know what you think.

Also, if it makes a difference, this is the thread I'd like to bump:

74-75-317-60364416

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

I think you may be better off asking Jagex on this one. I don't think you'll find anyone here on Tip.It who knows the rules that far in-depth to know if auto-bumping your threads would be banworthy.

The reason I say that is because, just remember that if they do somehow detect it (for example, seeing that your thread is bumped every 10 minutes on the spot. not saying they look for it), then "macroing" gets you perma-banned, no exceptions and no appeals nowadays.

And is it really worth the risk?

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

If you question it, its usually safer to not do it, then to do it and get in trouble

Finally on here to update that I have officially quit! It's been fun.
[hide=Signature]
Gandalf14141.png
R.I.P Billy Mays and <3 My Friend C.D.S 7/8/09 <3
60,816th to 99 Fletching 03/07/09|220,309th Person to be Able to Kill Dusties 10 Year Cape on 12/20/14[/hide]

grammar2gr8dx.png

no, it isn't. But as far as detection, I'm speculating that it would be near impossible for them to log anything other than time in between bumps. And if they did log something other than time in between bumps (for instance, mouse locations or processes running), it would be a gross invasion of privacy, and getting banned would/should be the least of my concerns.

♪♪ And I'm not done

no, it isn't. But as far as detection, I'm speculating that it would be near impossible for them to log anything other than time in between bumps. And if they did log something other than time in between bumps (for instance, mouse locations or processes running), it would be a gross invasion of privacy, and getting banned would/should be the least of my concerns.

If you set it to auto-bump every 10 minutes on the dot, that's all they would need to know to get you for macroing.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

If they did log the time between bumps wouldn't they be able to easily tell you are using a program? And lol at invasion of privacy and what not. Doubt they'd even notice though considering there are hundreds of threads on RSOF

yes.png

If they did log the time between bumps wouldn't they be able to easily tell you are using a program? And lol at invasion of privacy and what not. Doubt they'd even notice though considering there are hundreds of threads on RSOF

No. I don't want to go into too much detail of how to write "undetectable" macro software, but having a randomly generated component to it would make it exactly like having the thread opened in a different window or tab, and then periodically bumping it (as you remember).

♪♪ And I'm not done

No. I don't want to go into too much detail of how to write "undetectable" macro software, but having a randomly generated component to it would make it exactly like having the thread opened in a different window or tab, and then periodically bumping it (as you remember).

Except its not truely undectectable because "random" generation relies on number strings.

So it'd still be decetable even if ur random system varied the timing slightly because it'd a) be a noticed random number string being used and eventually repeated and B) still far more accurate and systematic than a real person.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

do it, just dont publicize it

jagex dont really care about a single player bumping his forum threads more regularly [honestly, how petty would that be?]

however if a majority were doing it and it gave a quantifiable trading [or otherwise] advantage to those using your script, then jagex would take a stance on it;

either making it against the rules, or implementing a forum auto-bump for everyone to use - similar to the fuss regarding world switching clients a few years back

'Rock Hard' boss pure - 60/60 Attack | 99/99 Range | 1/1 Defence | 44/44 Prayer | 99/99 Strength | 99/99 Mage - level 79 combat EOC

## '07 Server ## "Best Runescape update ever: Removing 6 years of updates."

Rock_Hard.png

"Warning: If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all that claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think every thing you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told to want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned- Tyler"

Except its not truely undectectable because "random" generation relies on number strings.

So it'd still be decetable even if ur random system varied the timing slightly because it'd a) be a noticed random number string being used and eventually repeated and B) still far more accurate and systematic than a real person.

If you don't know the seed of a random number generator, it might as well be random. Even if you do know the seed, it might as well be random. Also, I called it a "script" but in reality it'd be programmed in java, and java's RNG is pretty decent... I hear they use it in some mmorpg or something....

♪♪ And I'm not done

As Omali said, you are better off asking Jagex. No one here can give you a definite answer, but the creator's of the rules are most definitely going to give you an answer. I'd imagine it would be frowned upon though, especially since it keeps you logged in whilst you aren't there, and is still macroing.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

RIP Michaelangelopolous

As Omali said, you are better off asking Jagex. No one here can give you a definite answer, but the creator's of the rules are most definitely going to give you an answer. I'd imagine it would be frowned upon though, especially since it keeps you logged in whilst you aren't there, and is still macroing.

dont, it's easier to apologize than it is to ask permission - especially as there's no clear rule concerning it

you're not going to get a perm ban either way - worse that can happen is you appeal any action on your forum account with 'i'm sorry - i couldnt find any definitive info on whether it was allowed or not so i assumed it would be ok; i apologize for unintentionally breaking any rules, but afaik jagex had no policy regarding this. i've learnt my lesson and it will not happen again'

you'll get off lightly, and this will set a precedent clearing up jagex policy for everyone

if you ask permission - they will most like say no right from the outset.

'Rock Hard' boss pure - 60/60 Attack | 99/99 Range | 1/1 Defence | 44/44 Prayer | 99/99 Strength | 99/99 Mage - level 79 combat EOC

## '07 Server ## "Best Runescape update ever: Removing 6 years of updates."

Rock_Hard.png

"Warning: If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all that claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think every thing you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told to want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned- Tyler"

You have no idea what you are talking about!

Pseudo randoms as used as base in any programming language are IMPOSSIBLE to detect: even with true randoms repetition is bound to happen quite often.. (Sometimes on a small scale, sometimes even on larger cases like 10-20 numbers)... It's impossible to get the seed of a random number for pseudo randoms.

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

It's not about being banned. It's about how people would think about you.

I don't understand why people are too lazy to follow the rules and do things like they are meant to be...

2016 goals: all skills +30mil xp - Completed this goal 11th December 2016 smile.gif
2017 goals: get at least 3 more master capes (start xp: invention done@21st Jan, mining done@2nd April & ranged 76/104mil done@June 20th) & all skills +40mil xp (done 24th August)

I don't understand why people are too lazy to follow the rules and do things like they are meant to be...

The fact is that there are no rules regarding this. OP is merely asking whether (due to the ambiguity of the official rules) people believe that this would result in punishment by Jagex.

Schmuall.png

give F2P a penny and they want a dime; give P2P a quarter, they want 100,000 dollars, your car, house, boat, social security number, credit card numbers, drivers license, clothes on your back and everything you ever owned or interacted with ever

The fact is that there are no rules regarding this. OP is merely asking whether (due to the ambiguity of the official rules) people believe that this would result in punishment by Jagex.

"Macroing, and use of bots or third-party software

Effective date: 12th May 2009

You must not use other software to gain an unfair advantage in our games. This includes automation tools, macros, bots, or auto-typers. You may not circumvent any of our mechanisms designed to automatically log out inactive users.

You also must not use any game-specific, third-party software that encourages breaking of our rules, or bypasses the normal navigation of our website, or automatically requests pages from our website, or which endangers user accounts."

The games exist of the playable MMORPG AND the forums. The script is an unfair advantage against other players, it's an automated tool, it's a macro. It also circumvents the automatically log out of inactive status. It even says directly it should NOT bypass normal navigation of the website.

You're not meant to autobump, you're not allowed to autobump and doing so deserves at least a forum (temp)ban.

Macroing, and use of bots or third-party software

You must not use other software to gain an unfair advantage in our games. This includes automation tools, macros, bots, or auto-typers. You may not circumvent any of our mechanisms designed to automatically log out inactive users.

You also must not use any game-specific, third-party software that encourages breaking of our rules, or bypasses the normal navigation of our website, or automatically requests pages from our website, or which endangers user accounts.

The games exist of the playable MMORPG AND the forums. The script is an unfair advantage against other players, it's an automated tool, it's a macro. It also circumvents the automatically log out of inactive status. It even says directly it should NOT bypass normal navigation of the website.

You're not meant to autobump, you're not allowed to autobump and doing so deserves at least a forum (temp)ban.

Sorry, where was the GAME defined as "MMORGP AND the forums" ?

Also, my auto bumping program would not be third party, as I would have programmed it myself. It would not bypass the normal navigation of their website, as it would interact by clicking on links in a browser. It wouldn't automatically request pages from the website any more than browsing the forums yourself, or manually bumping would.

I don't see how it would give me an unfair advantage in game, unless I was bumping a buy/sell thread (which I don't intend to ever do).

I could just as easily write the same timing code, but instead of automatically clicking on the link, playing a sound which reminds me to bump. This would yield the same results, and be perfectly legal.

It seems the general consensus is that this is a "gray" area, and the worst that could happen is that my account is banned from the forums.

Thanks for the responses.

EDIT:changed tenses

♪♪ And I'm not done

Also, my auto bumping program would not be third party, as I would have programmed it myself.

When they say third party, they mean mean anything not made by them. So yes, if you made it, it would be third party.

no, that's against the right of freedom to run any program...

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Also, my auto bumping program would not be third party, as I would have programmed it myself.

When they say third party, they mean mean anything not made by them. So yes, if you made it, it would be third party.

no, that's against the right of freedom to run any program...

You think it's legal to bot if you made the bot program yourself? Go bot and see yourself banned.

Macroing, and use of bots or third-party software

You also must not use any game-specific, third-party software that encourages breaking of our rules, or bypasses the normal navigation of our website, or automatically requests pages from our website, or which endangers user accounts.

Sorry, where was the GAME defined as "MMORGP AND the forums" ?

Also, my auto bumping program would not be third party, as I would have programmed it myself. It would not bypass the normal navigation of their website, as it would interact by clicking on links in a browser. It wouldn't automatically request pages from the website any more than browsing the forums yourself, or manually bumping would.

I don't see how it would give me an unfair advantage in game, unless I was bumping a buy/sell thread (which I don't intend to ever do).

I could just as easily write the same timing code, but instead of automatically clicking on the link, playing a sound which reminds me to bump. This would yield the same results, and be perfectly legal.

It seems the general consensus is that this is a "gray" area, and the worst that could happen is that my account is banned from the forums.

Thanks for the responses.

EDIT:changed tenses

Of course MMORGP was a spelling mistake.

Also, we are in real life, where things are handled by the spirit of the rule, we don't need a definition like in sciences or mathematics to know what the game is.

Other than that: making a bot program yourself IS considered as a third party program. The term third party program is used because 99% of the bots use a bought botting program. It doesn't mean if you make a bot yourself, you'll be legally botting.

The botting program DOES bypass the normal investigation: you would get logged out of the runescape website after like 1 hour, now you won't get logged out.

It also DOES give yourself an unfair advantage: the forums are created that unpopular threads get eaten by the page 51 monster. You stop this monster from feeding itself, whereas other players don't have the chance to automatically stop it. Therefore this IS an unfair advantage.

The last thing you say IS legal because the program does not interact with the runescape website, you do it yourself. If you would make your own private highway (in your case: your own computer) next to the normal, official roads (here runescape.com), then you're also allowed to drive at speeds of over 150 miles per hour (here: automatically rung bells). But as long as you are driving on the public roads, you have to follow the official rules and therefore you have to click bump yourself.