Uses for the Pack Yak?

muggiwhplar

Yeah, got 96 summoning today (woohoo!)

Just wondering if someone could list off the top of their head all of the situations in which the pack yak is the superior familiar (for example, situations where it's a better option than the unicorn or a combat familiar). Anyways, I never really planned on getting this far until they announced the bonus xp weekend-- so how can I get the most out of my smelly item carrier? So far I've only found that I can smith 100 more platebodies per hour w/ the yak. Any other uses?

Also... can anybody think of uses where the steel titan is useful besides slayer? I'm hesitant to focus on getting 99 summoning since I feel like if I get the steel titan, I'll be torn between using the steel or iron titan (I'm 99 range but 89 def, so I'd rather use iron titan for the defence XP). Any uses for the steel titan as well? Thanks :D

77yLQy8.png

I love using my yak on slayer tasks such as dragons. Banking bones without leaving is awesome. Also good for high level gwd, 30 extra potions and that is amazing.

One thing i really loved about it was taking it to the Dag Kings. Banking all the bones and hides gave more profit, about 20k gp a kill. And i could stay down there for 3 yaks without having to bank, and i usually banked out of boredom or was going to bed.

Today i also used yak to raise summoning. Had my house in Taverly and went there to make pouches.

But you can pretty much use a yak any where. KBD is also an option as it let u bring more potions and food to last, then use a unicorn once that runs out. Just look at various aspects of your game play and figure out where an extra 30 spaces and the ability to bank from anywhere is really nice to have for you.

[hide=Drops]Slayer:Draconic Visage x3, Abyssal Whip x23, Dark Bow x3, Dragon Platelegs x3, Dragon Boots x40, Dragon Plateskirt x4, Shield Left Half x3, Dragon Medium Helms x10

GWD:

CS: Zamorakian Spear x2, Zamorak Hilt x1, Bandos Chestplate x1, Sara Sword x1

DKs: Dragon Hatchet x3 Beserker Ring x1[/hide]

[hide=Completed Goals]99Attack.pngAchieved April 26, 200999Defence.pngAchieved Sept. 15, 200999Hitpoints.pngAchieved Nov. 21, 200999Strength.png Jan. 10, 2010

99Slayer.png Achieved Mar. 5, 2010[/hide]

[hide=Goals]c1dfeeb1d3.pngCptBaker.pngCptBaker.png[/hide]

Any combat situation that involves dragons to help take the bones back (either using it as a beast of burden or using the scrolls to bank)

Any combat (or non-combat) situation when you need to bring extra supplies (cheaper than a war tortoise pouch, so if you need more space than a terrorbird, use a yak)

I know that's relatively general, but I think you get the gist. Any time that you would use a war tortoise, you should use a yak. I'm not exactly sure how efficient using the scroll is, but I would think that it can be extremely useful.

Maybe someone who actually has a yak can help you more.

If you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.

MischlingsSH.png

Yeah, got 96 summoning today (woohoo!)

Just wondering if someone could list off the top of their head all of the situations in which the pack yak is the superior familiar (for example, situations where it's a better option than the unicorn or a combat familiar). Anyways, I never really planned on getting this far until they announced the bonus xp weekend-- so how can I get the most out of my smelly item carrier? So far I've only found that I can smith 100 more platebodies per hour w/ the yak. Any other uses?

Also... can anybody think of uses where the steel titan is useful besides slayer? I'm hesitant to focus on getting 99 summoning since I feel like if I get the steel titan, I'll be torn between using the steel or iron titan (I'm 99 range but 89 def, so I'd rather use iron titan for the defence XP). Any uses for the steel titan as well? Thanks :D

I say stick with the iron titan for the def xp, the slayer xp difference won't be too huge

If micro managed perfectly, against a target with 0 defence, a steel titan will still only give up to 2k more slayer xp/hour with an iron titan if you're using scrolls for both

id expect an extra 1k slayer xp/hour with a steel titan over an iron titan, but ultimately your call

I prefer pack yaks @ kuradal dark beasts because it lets me bring enuf ppots to turmoil the entire task

that and pack yaks beast aberrant spectres.

I think everybody else covered everything else.

Naaxi.png

I always use winter storage scrolls simply for the convenience, I rarely use the 30 inventory spaces.

the scrolls don't interrupt combat. depositing into the pack yak doesn't necessarily interrupt combat, but it takes extra effort to make sure that you don't.

Naaxi.png

I use both. Seeing as i am using the yak, and not a unicorn, i need a way to heal with. So i just load the yak with more brews and restores. I have used both veracs and guthans to mage rex and i got about 70 something kills in one trip before.

[hide=Drops]Slayer:Draconic Visage x3, Abyssal Whip x23, Dark Bow x3, Dragon Platelegs x3, Dragon Boots x40, Dragon Plateskirt x4, Shield Left Half x3, Dragon Medium Helms x10

GWD:

CS: Zamorakian Spear x2, Zamorak Hilt x1, Bandos Chestplate x1, Sara Sword x1

DKs: Dragon Hatchet x3 Beserker Ring x1[/hide]

[hide=Completed Goals]99Attack.pngAchieved April 26, 200999Defence.pngAchieved Sept. 15, 200999Hitpoints.pngAchieved Nov. 21, 200999Strength.png Jan. 10, 2010

99Slayer.png Achieved Mar. 5, 2010[/hide]

[hide=Goals]c1dfeeb1d3.pngCptBaker.pngCptBaker.png[/hide]

Well, just got 96 Summoning today myself, well, actually 97. So after reading a lot of these comments, it made me realize how happy I should be :D Got the second best fighting familiar, best healing familiar, and best BoB familiar. Hehe.

I think I'd personally bank bones/hides on a dragon task, especially if it's Kuradal's Dungeon. Just using up a lot of scrolls to bank them all, plus it only takes about a minute to bank at Kuradal's Dungeon lol.

But also, Pack Yak for Rune mining and training Prayer. And lots of gathering activities as well. I know people who use the scrolls to bank Rocktails when fishing, and I know someone who WCs Mahogany logs in TWB (I think that's right...) area with a Pack Yak, to reduce the amount of times he runs to bank them.

codguy.png

Codguy.png

Yea, the Yak is godly. I've only just personally achieved 96 myself and havent tested it yet, but i know that it is extremely usefull for everything mentioned here, could also be usefull for solo/due bandos ect banking ourg bones and stuff.

I've also heard the difference between iron and steel titan is dissapointing (well if you go out of ur way to get 99, if it just sort of happens then theres nothing to complain about :P). If you want defence xp, even if u had the steel titan may as well use iron. Iron titan is still quite a beast

Yeah there isn't much of a difference between steel and iron titan, I'd stick to iron if you're already maxed range.

Yak for everything mentioned in the thread, and I personally use it for abyssal demons too so I can pick up stuff like addy bars and fill my whole inv with prayer potions.

2dvjurb.png

I just got 96 today as well, and here's a use for the Yak:

General Graardor drops Ourg bones, so bank those. Also, bring a few hundred K with you and buy Ourg bones off your team mates (or persuade them to give them to you for free/lesser price).

TIF-SIG-PREVAIL.jpg

IRC Nick: Hiroki | 99 Agility | Max Quest Points | 138 Combat

Bandos drops: 20 Hilt | 22 Chestplate | 21 Tassets | 14 Boots