Balance Dangerous Pvp

howbadisbad

First thing is first. If you are coming onto this thread to say melee is not overpowered i would hope you don't.

*is wondering where the hide tabs are*

Balancing the Combat Triangle

This thread is designed to think up updates that would balance the combat triangle.

Right now IMO the Combat line is Melee > Magic > Range, But other might switch magic and range

The Types

[spoiler=Melee]

Pros:

- Most powerful

- Most DPS

- Cheapest

- Most variety of weapons

- Most variety of armor

- Best special attacks

- Best pots

- Best prayers

- Cheapest to train

Cons:

- Cant attack from long range

- Is vulnerable to Miasmic spells

[spoiler=Range]

Range

Pros:

- Can attack from long range

- Ruby Bolts and Diamond Bolts (e) are good for boss hunting

- Magic defense

Cons:

- Low melee defense

- Cannot activate bolt specials manually

- Noobs drink up their antifires

- Ancient warriors are inaccurate

- Vulnerable to miasmic

[spoiler=Magic]

Pros:

- Can attack from far range

- Miasmic Spells

- Most accurate

- Freezing

- Teleblock

- Lowering stats

Cons:

- Low defense against range and melee

- Expensive

- Cannot effectively teleblock and bind with at the same time.

- Prayers are the most useless

If i am missing things just tell me and I will add them

So in the end What i propose is to make void sets act as one item in pvp. If you are in a +1 world and you die with a void set, you keep the void.

Also, the collective alchemy value of the set is used for the items lost upon death.

Why this will work and how it will work for each type of comabt

Melee:

Will not make melee any better than it was before most likely. If you wear melee void and a whip, You lose the whip upon death. If you use a godsword you lose the void. So if melee wants to use void tey should have to risk something

Range:

Range hits low and slow. Void is the one thing that gives range the power to k0. Since range has low value weapons you will always keep the void (unless you have a dfs) so I think this would perfectly balance range and melee in bh.

Magic:

Void would have to boost magic's damage by like 30% or more since it lost the ability to mage stack. Magic needs more rem paving before it is truly ready for dangerous pvp IMO.

I'll update this more when i get back from my trip.

Tell me what you think.

arcane_stew.png

Hypocrite. You tell others to be nice then attempt to murder people. Nice going, you just failed life.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as i stated when you (or someone else I really dont remember) posted this before, YOU DO NOT HAVE ENOUGH DEFENSE WITH VOID. Any ranger/mage with a decent combat level (so no zerkers dont count) would get shreded, it wouldn't help at all.

DK drops (solo/LS): 66 hatchets, 14 archer rings, 13 berserker rings, 17 warrior rings, 12 seerculls, 13 mud staves, 7 seers rings

QBD drops: 1 kite, 2 visages, 4 dragonbone kits, 3 effigies, lots of crossbow parts

CR vs. CLS threads always turn into discussions about penis size.
It's not called a Compensation Longsword for nothing.

I've sent a 12k combat mission to have Aiel assassinated (poor bastard isn't even Pincers-tier difficulty).

DM0Yq2c.png

as i stated when you (or someone else I really dont remember) posted this before, YOU DO NOT HAVE ENOUGH DEFENSE WITH VOID. Any ranger/mage with a decent combat level (so no zerkers dont count) would get shreded, it wouldn't help at all.

Wrong.

The fact that rangers have high defence levels balances this out somewhat. (With high offence you have to have some kind of penalty, Unless your melee of course. <_< )

And with high defense you can't veng effectively.

Edit: where are the hide codes? they moved and I can't find them <_<

arcane_stew.png

Hypocrite. You tell others to be nice then attempt to murder people. Nice going, you just failed life.

Bump

People don't like threads that suggest melee not be so overpowered :wall:

arcane_stew.png

Bump

Melee is not overpowered. You're an idiot. There's a combat triangle... I can stack 580s with magic and freeze a meleer so he'll have no chance in beating me.

Retired High Leader of the Great Titans

linesig3bv2.jpg

DK: Dragon axe x55, Zerker x40, Warrior x44

GWD: Bandos hilt x2,Bandos plate x8,Bandos tassets x3, Bandos boots x 2, Armadyl helm x2, Armadyl hilt x1, Saradomin sword x3

Dragon drops: d chain x3, d left half x3, d legs x4, d skirt x2, d claws x6

Wait what? You're saying that a meleer can beat a mage? That can't be right. Ancient Magicks is amazingly powerful and a meleer has no chance against a mage.

- Noobs drink up their antifires

This is very arrogant. It's a legitimate tactic and it was designed that way.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

Bump

Melee is not overpowered. You're an idiot. There's a combat triangle... I can stack 580s with magic and freeze a meleer so he'll have no chance in beating me.

stacking was nerfed. And if the meleer has hides with him he'll just wreck you with his specs.

Wrong.

The fact that rangers have high defence levels balances this out somewhat. (With high offence you have to have some kind of penalty, Unless your melee of course. <_< )

And with high defense you can't veng effectively.

Edit: where are the hide codes? they moved and I can't find them <_<

this is irrelevant, we aren't talking about 60 combat here...a maxed tank and a maxed meleer will have the same defense levels, and the ranger will always either be risking higher, or have lower defense bonuses. This will not fix the combat triangle. Also not being able to "veng effectively" is an invalid argument, as whether or not they hit is complete luck. You'll also outlast them if they cant hit you.

hides codes are

spoiler and /spoiler

DK drops (solo/LS): 66 hatchets, 14 archer rings, 13 berserker rings, 17 warrior rings, 12 seerculls, 13 mud staves, 7 seers rings

QBD drops: 1 kite, 2 visages, 4 dragonbone kits, 3 effigies, lots of crossbow parts

CR vs. CLS threads always turn into discussions about penis size.
It's not called a Compensation Longsword for nothing.

I've sent a 12k combat mission to have Aiel assassinated (poor bastard isn't even Pincers-tier difficulty).

DM0Yq2c.png

"stacking was nerfed. And if the meleer has hides with him he'll just wreck you with his specs."

Magic hits through black d'hide with ease... and use your SoL special to reduce damages done by 50%.

<- shows just how easy it is to kill meleers with a SoL and without farcasting. Both players are maxed out and the meleer is using Turmoil.

"stacking was nerfed. And if the meleer has hides with him he'll just wreck you with his specs."

Magic hits through black d'hide with ease... and use your SoL special to reduce damages done by 50%.

<- shows just how easy it is to kill meleers with a SoL and without farcasting. Both players are maxed out and the meleer is using Turmoil.

Gj fool. Sol lasts 1 minute. How many fights last longer than 1 minute? Alot. And why is the meleer wearing failed dragon hide while the mage gets ahrims? Get a fair fight first.

And why is the meleer only using a whip?

You have proven nothing except a mage can win a very unbalanced fight.

this is irrelevant, we aren't talking about 60 combat here...a maxed tank and a maxed meleer will have the same defense levels, and the ranger will always either be risking higher, or have lower defense bonuses. This will not fix the combat triangle. Also not being able to "veng effectively" is an invalid argument, as whether or not they hit is complete luck. You'll also outlast them if they cant hit you.

Lol the fact is that outlasting them is retarted because they can walk into the safezone. The only way to win is to KO them, and that is extremely hard without void.

Your stupid.

This is very arrogant. It's a legitimate tactic and it was designed that way.

Well if range was able to dragonfire spec in pvp it wouldn't be underpowered. A simple fix that wont be implementsed because all the meleers who think its the end of the world when they arn't godly overpowered anymore.

arcane_stew.png

"Gj fool. Sol lasts 1 minute. How many fights last longer than 1 minute? Alot. And why is the meleer wearing failed dragon hide while the mage gets ahrims? Get a fair fight first.

You have proven nothing except a mage can win a very unbalanced fight."

There is no need to rage. A SoL spec is not needed to win a fight against a meleer without farcasting. It's good to turn it on when the meleer is going to special you, and you can have the special effect on pretty much 80% of the time if you have leech special attack energy. The meleer is obviously wearing black dragonhide to decrease the DPS of the Mage, because in melee armor he'll get raped even faster. The Magician's DPS will still be higher than that of a meleer. Even if the meleer is in black dragonhide, Karil's or in Armadyl. And if you have a good Prayer level, use leech special attack energy. The fight is unfair enough already as it is. The mage is not farcasting, and the meleer is wearing black dragonhide. That's unfair enough already. It doesn't matter whether if the meleer is in Karil's or in Armadyl - they will lose. And you'll lose pathetically if the mage farcasts you. The meleer is using Vengeance, a whip and a AGS to special yet the mage won every single fight with his SoL. And claws can't K0 any experienced mage. A simple rocktail brew (rocktail > brew > brew > brew > super restore) will make you immune to being K0ed.

Or let's take a look at this...

http://www.youtube.com/jho2012#p/u/1/Vmhywt86Wo0

A maxed out ranger in Karil's and a HC fighting a mage who is using Ice Barrage. Who won? The Mage.

Here's another video of the same maxed out meleer vs the same maxed out mage:

http://www.youtube.com/jho2012#p/u/2/9nC-fSRYe_M

"Gj fool. Sol lasts 1 minute. How many fights last longer than 1 minute? Alot. And why is the meleer wearing failed dragon hide while the mage gets ahrims? Get a fair fight first.

You have proven nothing except a mage can win a very unbalanced fight."

There is no need to rage. A SoL spec is not needed to win a fight against a meleer without farcasting. It's good to turn it on when the meleer is going to special you, and you can have the special effect on pretty much 80% of the time if you have leech special attack energy. The meleer is obviously wearing black dragonhide to decrease the DPS of the Mage, because in melee armor he'll get raped even faster. The Magician's DPS will still be higher than that of a meleer. Even if the meleer is in black dragonhide, Karil's or in Armadyl. And if you have a good Prayer level, use leech special attack energy. The fight is unfair enough already as it is. The mage is not farcasting, and the meleer is wearing black dragonhide. That's unfair enough already. It doesn't matter whether if the meleer is in Karil's or in Armadyl - they will lose. And you'll lose pathetically if the mage farcasts you. The meleer is using Vengeance, a whip and a AGS to special yet the mage won every single fight with his SoL. And claws can't K0 any experienced mage. A simple rocktail brew (rocktail > brew > brew > brew > super restore) will make you immune to being K0ed.

Or let's take a look at this...

http://www.youtube.com/jho2012#p/u/1/Vmhywt86Wo0

A maxed out ranger in Karil's and a HC fighting a mage who is using Ice Barrage. Who won? The Mage.

Here's another video of the same maxed out meleer vs the same maxed out mage:

http://www.youtube.com/jho2012#p/u/2/9nC-fSRYe_M

There is no vid with karils and a handcannon. (LOL HANDCANNON) <-- i know why he lost.

Once again dragonhide vs ahrims. The meleer was also stupid for not leeching in a prolonged fight.

But overall, here is why you fail.

This thread is about dangerous pvp not dual arena DM's. Your opponent can run into the safe zone when he is low on food, so you must be able to hit high enough to KO him.

Great ahrims can beat dragonhide. Try karils or armadyl next time.

arcane_stew.png

"There is no vid with karils and a handcannon. (LOL HANDCANNON) <-- i know why he lost.

Once again dragonhide vs ahrims. The meleer was also stupid for not leeching in a prolonged fight.

This thread is about dangerous pvp not dual arena DM's. Your opponent can run into the safe zone when he is low on food, so you must be able to hit high enough to KO him.

Great ahrims can beat dragonhide. Try karils or armadyl next time."

Next time before calling other people a fool, or stupid, watch the actual video.

In the Range vs. Mage video, at 3:51, the Ranger is in Karil's and is using a HC. A HC has the highest DPS and it's not farcastable by the mage so you will want to use it against a Mage if you want to stand a chance. Rune c'bows are farcastabe (it reaches 7 on rapid and 9 on longrange, whilst Magic reaches 10). You can't leech when you're using Turmoil and he needs Turmoil to even stand a chance.

Ice Barrage averages 88.9 damage per hit against a meleer with Armadyl (+153 magic defence) if you have +128 magic attack, which is full magic gear not counting 3rd age, spirit shields, and PvP equipment. The maxed out meleer will average 79 per hit, with a whip. Since whips hit at 2.4 seconds per hit, and spells cast at 3 seconds per hit, the damage per hour for melee is 118,500. The DPH for magic is 106,680.

Next we have to factor in magic’s freezing ability. In the equipment for the magic DPS tests, barrage averaged 53/100 successful hits.

One round of freezing and unfreezing is 8 or 9 magic hits on average. This means the meleer will average getting 2 or 3 hits in for the mages 8 or 9. The mage will average 755.6, and the meleer will average 197.5 per 25.5 seconds. This brings the DPH for melee down to 27,880. Magic is still at 106,680.

Lastly, you shouldn't be using Magic in low level BH. Magic shines in deep Wilderniss. Magic shines in Castle Wars, the Duel Arena, Fist of Guthix, Stealing Creation, Fight Pits, Clan Wars, deep level BH and Soul Wars.

I, and many other maxed out players have tested this all. You haven't.

"There is no vid with karils and a handcannon. (LOL HANDCANNON) <-- i know why he lost.

Great ahrims can beat dragonhide. Try karils or armadyl next time."

Next time before calling other people a fool, or stupid, watch the actual video.

In the Range vs. Mage video, at 3:51, the Ranger is in Karil's and is using a HC. A HC has the highest DPS and it's not farcastable by the mage so you will want to use it against a Mage if you want to stand a chance. Rune c'bows are farcastabe (it reaches 7 on rapid and 9 on longrange, whilst Magic reaches 10). You can't leech when you're using Turmoil and he needs Turmoil to even stand a chance.

Handcannon is not even close to the highest dps so I don't know why you say that. I'm going to test the magic range thing myself because I have never been able to do it . About the turmoil statement, you are dumb.

Ice Barrage averages 88.9 damage per hit against a meleer with Armadyl (+153 magic defence) if you have +128 magic attack, which is full magic gear not counting 3rd age, spirit shields, and PvP equipment. The maxed out meleer will average 79 per hit, with a whip. Since whips hit at 2.4 seconds per hit, and spells cast at 3 seconds per hit, the damage per hour for melee is 118,500. The DPH for magic is 106,680. And how does this help dangerous pvp?

Next we have to factor in magic’s freezing ability. In the equipment for the magic DPS tests, barrage averaged 53/100 successful hits. ON?

One round of freezing and unfreezing is 8 or 9 magic hits on average. This means the meleer will average getting 2 or 3 hits in for the mages 8 or 9. The mage will average 755.6, and the meleer will average 197.5 per 25.5 seconds. This brings the DPH for melee down to 27,880. Magic is still at 106,680. AND HOW WILL THIS HELP DANGEROUS PVP?

Lastly, you shouldn't be using Magic in low level BH. Magic shines in deep Wilderniss. Magic shines in Castle Wars, the Duel Arena, Fist of Guthix, Stealing Creation, Fight Pits, Clan Wars, deep level BH and Soul Wars.

I, and many other maxed out players have tested this all. You haven't.

I already know this fool. This thread is mostly about EDGE PKING

No this is a thread about mostly edge pking. If you run into deep wildy without anti magic meausres then you deserve to get killed by ancients. Its not that hard to stay near a teleport lever or have a tele on hand (if your not in 30+ wildy.)

So in the end, your DM's between combat skills are entirely useless to this thread. This thread is about KO potential and the ability to kill before you opponent runs out of food and goes to the safe zone.

arcane_stew.png

"Handcannon is not even close to the highest dps so I don't know why you say that. I'm going to test the magic range thing myself because I have never been able to do it . About the turmoil statement, you are dumb."

I'll repeat myself: this has been tested and numbers don't lie. Have you ever seriously tested what Range weapons have the highest DPS? You clearly haven't. Meleers need Turmoil to win a fight. Sure, you can turn on leeches but they won't help you. The mage will just leech the leeched specials back.

"And how does this help dangerous pvp?"

It shows that Magic has more DPS than Melee does and therefore will win the fight.

"ON?"

+153 magic defence bonus. Pretty much the max magic defence a meleer will have.

"I already know this fool. This thread is mostly about EDGE PKING"

Your thread is about balancing the combat triangle when there already is a triangle. The combat triangle is fine. And limiting PvP to Edge PKing is just stupid.

"Handcannon is not even close to the highest dps so I don't know why you say that. I'm going to test the magic range thing myself because I have never been able to do it . About the turmoil statement, you are dumb."

I'll repeat myself: this has been tested and numbers don't lie. Have you ever seriously tested what Range weapons have the highest DPS? You clearly haven't. Meleers need Turmoil to win a fight. Sure, you can turn on leeches but they won't help you. The mage will just leech the leeched specials back.

It shows that Magic has more DPS than Melee does and therefore will win the fight.

"ON?"

Your thread is about balancing the combat triangle when there already is a triangle. The combat triangle is fine. And limiting PvP to Edge PKing is just stupid.

And acting like more than 3% of people who pk do deep wildy pking is stupid.

No one goes into deep wildy with only 1 type of attack unless they are stupid.

So magic can win a safe dm? <-- usless for this thread.

arcane_stew.png

"ON?"

Howbadisbad, do you really think this hasn't been tested in dangerous PvP? Of course we have and Magic owns every single combat style in deep Wilderniss. Melee can't win againt a Mage (even without farcasting), Range still loses even with a HC. And Mages can't be K0ed either because of the rocktail brew technique. It doesn't matter if you hybrid the Mage. As long as the fight is allowed to last, the Mage will win and since you can't just easily run from a Mage in deep Wilderniss you will die.

"ON?"

Howbadisbad, do you really think this hasn't been tested in dangerous PvP? Of course we have and Magic owns every single combat style in deep Wilderniss. Melee can't win againt a Mage (even without farcasting), Range still loses even with a HC. And Mages can't be K0ed either because of the rocktail brew technique. It doesn't matter if you hybrid the Mage. As long as the fight is allowed to last, the Mage will win and since you can't just easily run from a Mage in deep Wilderniss you will die.

You can easily run if you don't stray far from the mage bank or the wildy levers.

You obviously are stupid if you think someone using just mage can win against a hybrider.

Hand cannon is hilariously fail so i don't know why you bring it up.

Mages can be killed even with their brew/pots method.

arcane_stew.png

Magic is good in safe pvp but this thread is about dangerous pvp where there are safezones and teleports.

arcane_stew.png

Magic is good in safe pvp but this thread is about dangerous pvp where there are safezones and teleports.

Fair enough. Let's take a closer look:

Fire Surge is on the Modern spellbook, where, conveniently, Teleblock also resides. Fire Surge is the most accurate Spell ingame, and is actually viable for toe-to-toe combat, Edge Pk'ing, and other situations.

However, there are many faults with the modern spellbook, so lets look at the gifts Zaros has given us: Ancient Magic and Curses. Pk'ing at the Mage Bank or other high level wild spots are very viable, especially conjoined with Leech Run, which drains opponents energy by 30% each time it activates. Let's not forget the Spells either, Ice still being the most practical and efficient, but, perhaps more devastating to any would-be-heros, are Miasmics. With a max of 425 or so, and the ability to slow weapons, any opponent will be greatly hindered, while you remain at full power, increasing at every moment with Leech bonuses.

Oh, and as far as Magic vs. Hybrid, its very feasible. You need knowledge and instinct, but its very possible. Look at Duel Tournaments: you could use Magic on almost every duel and pull through, if you are smart about it.

With a Whip, SGS, DDS, Void Melee and Piety, I couldn't kill DutchPlease once in the Duel arena, while he used Fire Surge. I'm only 10-15 combat levels higher then him, and I lost. I even brought along Void Range and Karils cross to hybrid in, and he still pulled through with a victory. That's Edge Pk'ing tactics right there, with a Mage beating the [cabbage] out of a level 130.

Picture2-10.png

So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Fair enough. Let's take a closer look:

Fire Surge is on the Modern spellbook, where, conveniently, Teleblock also resides. Fire Surge is the most accurate Spell ingame, and is actually viable for toe-to-toe combat, Edge Pk'ing, and other situations.

However, there are many faults with the modern spellbook, so lets look at the gifts Zaros has given us: Ancient Magic and Curses. Pk'ing at the Mage Bank or other high level wild spots are very viable, especially conjoined with Leech Run, which drains opponents energy by 30% each time it activates. Let's not forget the Spells either, Ice still being the most practical and efficient, but, perhaps more devastating to any would-be-heros, are Miasmics. With a max of 425 or so, and the ability to slow weapons, any opponent will be greatly hindered, while you remain at full power, increasing at every moment with Leech bonuses.

Oh, and as far as Magic vs. Hybrid, its very feasible. You need knowledge and instinct, but its very possible. Look at Duel Tournaments: you could use Magic on almost every duel and pull through, if you are smart about it.

With a Whip, SGS, DDS, Void Melee and Piety, I couldn't kill DutchPlease once in the Duel arena, while he used Fire Surge. I'm only 10-15 combat levels higher then him, and I lost. I even brought along Void Range and Karils cross to hybrid in, and he still pulled through with a victory. That's Edge Pk'ing tactics right there, with a Mage beating the [cabbage] out of a level 130.

AHHH DUAL ARENA DMS DO NOT MATTER ON THIS THREAD.

You have valid points about mage bank pking and normal spells.

But the fact that this thread also includes range and that almost all people in bh worlds edge pk so i would like to focus on some kind of update that allows magic to edge pk without becoming godly everywhere else.

Range just sucks everywhere so it needs the biggest help of all tbh.

arcane_stew.png

There was an update to make Magic viable in Edge; Mage's are no longer interrupted while casting Spells, and are considered in combat.

But I suppose we can debate Range, though I don't find Void to be the solution. Range can definetly hold its own, with such weapons as Zanik's crossbow, for rushers or praying retreaters. Hand cannon, while not incredibly accurate, still gives Range incredible KO potential, much like a Dark Bow. Remember, in Pk'ing, you mainly want larger hits for KOs. However, you don't want to rely on such weapons as primaries mostly, but even the popular Rune Crossbow stands up with great accuracy and good hits, great hits with Diamond and Dragonstone specials.

For weapons like the Hand cannon and rune crossbow however, I find that accuracy plays a larger role, which is why I find Void a rather unnecessary move. While a max hit of 10-50 might be added with Void, you lose out on accuracy considerably, which is a major part in Cannon and Crossbow.

Picture2-10.png

So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

There was an update to make Magic viable in Edge; Mage's are no longer interrupted while casting Spells, and are considered in combat.

But I suppose we can debate Range, though I don't find Void to be the solution. Range can definetly hold its own, with such weapons as Zanik's crossbow, for rushers or praying retreaters. Hand cannon, while not incredibly accurate, still gives Range incredible KO potential, much like a Dark Bow. Remember, in Pk'ing, you mainly want larger hits for KOs. However, you don't want to rely on such weapons as primaries mostly, but even the popular Rune Crossbow stands up with great accuracy and good hits, great hits with Diamond and Dragonstone specials.

For weapons like the Hand cannon and rune crossbow however, I find that accuracy plays a larger role, which is why I find Void a rather unnecessary move. While a max hit of 10-50 might be added with Void, you lose out on accuracy considerably, which is a major part in Cannon and Crossbow.

I would have to disagree completely with this statement.

If you have pked with range as of late people eat well over the max hits of the rune crossbow and handcannon. For me, it comes down to a matter of "will this person hit high enough on me for my veng to put him into kill range?" every battle. Rune crossbow cannot hit much higher than 40 and people can eat 2 food before each crossbow hit making kills without veng and a crossbow near impossible. Handcannon really suffers from the fact that it can hit slightly below 50 but most people stay on well above 60 when they fight (me and most people I see) and the specials for the handcannon are terrible, you can see it from a mile away.

Darkbow is really a void only thing, as in it is only good when paired with void, much like every other range weapon. While melee still maintains higher defence and better kill potential with superior armor and prayers range is left with the scraps, barely able to pull together a decent kill without putting themselves at an extreme risk.

Range should be able to hit high enough so that they can ko without having to get maxed on with a godsword for the enemy to be within reasonable kill range. Godswords are just as fast as the handcannon yet they hit higher, have better specials, don't explode, and are kept upon death. (HC has really low alch value)

Obviously range needs a buff in raw power because even when range combos, it doesn't hit near enough to overcome how fast an opponent can eat.

@ the update to mage. Tbh I think that was to combat rushers in general while a meleer is comboing an opponent and the opponent isn't attacking back and is eating the rusher would attack the meleer who is pwning the other dude.

(I say meleer because they are the only form of combat with deadly combos.)

arcane_stew.png