Strength Bonus

Laura

Say you equip a berserker ring (+4). Does your max hit increase by one or does each hit you inflict have its damage increased by one? If the former, then I have to question why this item (along with Bandos armour) is so heavily worn by players. Assuming the system gives each hit the same chance of hitting (ie, not a bell curve, which seems unlikely) wouldn't you only have (assuming your max hit is 50 with the berserker ring; 49 without) a 1/50 chance of inflicting one more damage?

hopesolopatriot.jpg

Your max hit increases by one.

Assuming the system gives each hit the same chance of hitting (ie, not a bell curve, which seems unlikely) wouldn't you only have (assuming your max hit is 50 with the berserker ring; 49 without) a 1/50 chance of inflicting one more damage?

^ That.

MstrMonopoly.png

I piety the fool.

I would not describe it as a 1/50 chance of hitting one more damage

since that implies that there is still a 49-sided-dice roll for the first damage, and a second 1/50 roll to hit an extra damage

rather think of the 49 sided dice becoming a 50 sided dice

of course the whole 49-50 sided dice thing does not account for the new 10x damage resolution, and the possibility of hitting 0's

Naaxi.png

Fair question; I have always been under the impression that it only increases your max hit by 1+. The reason, I think, people wear bandos/berserker/dragonfire shield over say, barrows/warrior/rune defender, is because they like to see bigger numbers.

Assuming the system gives each hit the same chance of hitting (ie, not a bell curve, which seems unlikely) wouldn't you only have (assuming your max hit is 50 with the berserker ring; 49 without) a 1/50 chance of inflicting one more damage?

This interests me a lot, and I think I might ask some crew and we'll see if we can research that.

bike.png

Suggest a poll for Tip.it - Here!

Laura, you may find this an interesting read.

I am in the process of redoing the test based on the change to life points, which may favor the strength bonus over the accuracy bonus.

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

There was a thread a while ago where some of us talked about this kind of thing. It can be shown that increasing your max hit by 1 increases your average hit by 1/2, assuming equal chances of all damage levels.

EDIT: I should mention that this doesn't take misses into account. Also, the result is the same whether or not it is possible to have a "hit" of 0.

Edited by Monkeyguy789

Kidd_Varrow.png

spacespider.png

There was a thread a while ago where some of us talked about this kind of thing. It can be shown that increasing your max hit by 1 increases your average hit by 1/2, assuming equal chances of all damage levels.

That is what I assumed, although maybe not by 1/2. For example if your max hit was 9, and you increase it to 10, over 10 hits originally you may have on average done 45 damage, but now with the extra 1 to your max you may on average do 50 damage. That is including zero hits but not zero misses, which to my knowledge are not affected by your strength bonus, and zero hits are extremely rare(if at all possible) with the new system anyways.

EDIT: That is pure speculation though, have no idea if that is right at all.

Barrows: 9~2 V Brass,V Flail,2 Dh Plate,V Helm,V Skirt,T Legs,Malevolent Shield DKing: 48~6 W Ring,13 A Ring,8 M Staff,9 S Ring,7 B Ring,3 Seercull
Dragon Drops: 500+~50+ Med,26 Axe,3 Chain,10+ Legs,10+ Spear,2 D2h,10+ L Half,49 Boots,2 DDs,10+ Lump,9 Claws,50+ Dagger,14 Visage,50+ Mace,4 Scimitar,7 Hasta,Baxe,50+ Long,30+ Royal,2 Kite,4 Ward,2 Plate,Staff,Hammer,Limbs, Mattock,Halberd
GWD: 156~4 S Staff,50+ Shard,9 B Tass,13 B Plate,5 B Boots,6 A Plate,11 S Sword,8 A Hilt,4 A Skirt,9 A Helm,S Hilt,3 B Hilt,B Glove,2 A Buckler,Z Ward,Z Garb,2 Z Boots,B Shield,B Helm

Corp: 3~Elysian,2 Sp Sh Nex: 6~Torva Legs,Cere,P cowl,Z bow,2 T boots + GWD2: 9~2 Glaive,Wand,2 Crest,Blade,2 Essence,Core Araxyte: 5~Web,3 Pheromone,Fang + Raids: 4~3 Codex,P Boots  + Trails: 2~Bob Shirt,Fortunate

Etc: 64~3 Sceptre,B Mask,16 Whip,2 Focus Sight,5 D Bow,7 SOL,Ragefire,2 Steadfast,Arma Staff,6 Rider Armor,5 Vine,2 Razorback,2 A Wand,Abby Orb,3 Blood Shard,6 Hydrix,Gland,Asc Xbow
[spoiler=Capes]Quest Cape Aquired 12-7-07 ~ Level 93 + + + Completionist Cape Aquired 5-22-15 ~ Level 138
Hitpoints Cape Aquired 9-21-09 ~ Level 131 + Magic Cape Aquired 9-24-09 Attack Cape Aquired 3-5-10 ~ Level 135 Summoning Cape Aquired 3-12-10

Strength Cape Aquired 6-1-11 ~ Level 137 Fire Cape Aquired 6-23-11 Defence Cape Aquired 7-5-11 + Ranged Cape Aquired 8-1-11 Kiln Cape Aquired 2-26-12 ~ Level 138
Dungeoneering Cape Aquired 4-22-12 + Slayer Cape Aquired 6-25-14 ~ Level 200 + Herblore Cape Acquired 12-9-14 ~ Level 138 Prayer Cape Acquired 12-20-14
Agility Cape Acquired 1-4-15 + Hunter Cape Acquired 1-30-15 Construction Cape Acquired 1-31-15 Crafting Cape Acquired 2-22-15 Thieving Cape Acquired 3-18-15
Runecrafting Cape Acquired 4-14-15 Mining Cape Acquired 4-19-15 Fishing Cape Acquired 4-25-15 Firemaking Cape Acquired 4-26-15 Woodcutting Cape Acquired 4-26-15
Cooking Cape Acquired 4-26-15Smithing Cape Acquired 4-28-15 Farming Cape Acquired 4-29-15 Divination Cape Acquired 5-3-15 Dungeoneering Mastery 5-4-15
Fletching Cape Acquired 5-4-15 Max Cape Acquired 5-4-15 + Invention Cape Acquired 11-9-16 Invention Mastery 5-16-19 + Archaeology Cape Acquired 10-30-20