Netbook suggestions?

remoteman

Hey all,

Im looking for a netbook to use for dumping hd footage from a canon 7d onto a portable harddrive. Being able to review the footage on screen would be ideal, however in my searches ive had very little success in finding a capable netbook. It needs to be portable so that i can use it in the field; ill be travelling around for two months in the summer (northern hemisphere) with a video rig and dont want to be carrying something huge and bulky around, such as my four year old 17" Dell. This is the reason im looking at a netbook. Something up to 11" would be ideal, i can stretch to 12" if need be.

Im living in the UK at the moment which has ended up being a rather large annoyance, mainly because the HP Mini 311 running W7 doesnt appear to be available and from my research that appears to be ideal. Im looking to spend around £300, £400 maximum.

Am i looking for something that doesnt exist? Ideally the specs would be something like:

1.66ghz cpu

2g RAM

Nvidia Ion or similar non-cpu based gfx card (HD playback...)

250gb HD

W7 would be nice, but not absolutely necessary.

Id be most grateful for any suggestions or tips, and also if anyone knows how to get an apostrophe on a german keyboard hah, its not marked and i think ive tried everything (im currently stuck in switzerland because of the ash cloud...).

Cheers everyone,

RM

Splatter-RM-stroke.png

"A disbelief in magic can force some poor souls into believing in authority and business"

As mentioned above, the Alienware m11x is the best performance netbook, but will also cost a premium price (which obviously doesn't fit your needs). Honestly, this is the only netbook that springs to mind which would fit your requirements.

Just had a look. This Asus seems to fit all of your requirements, though I'm not sure it'd be powerful enough to view Full HD video.

http://www.lambda-tek.com/componentshop/index.pl?origin=gbase16.9&prodID=1794152

I have the GMA 950 in my Macbook and it is a very powerful chip for only 64MB of VRAM.

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

8,325th to 99 Firemaking 3/9/08 | 44,811th to 99 Cooking 7/16/08

4,968th to 99 Farming 10/9/09 | Runescaper August 2005-March 2010

Tip.it Mod Feb. 2008-Sep. 2008 | Tip.it Crew Sep. 2008-Nov. 2009

You could be hard pressed to get HD playback out of a netbook, I know I've tried without much success (But that was with built in intel graphics). If you need a really serious performance media player, get Mplayer (Which is Free/open source).

C2b6gs7.png

My research has lead me to the Asus Eee PC 1201N, With an Atom 330, Nvidia Ion GFX card, 2g RAM etc. Looks good from what i can see, thanks for the link HGP, it lead me to a review of this one. Dual core too, which is a nice surprise, comes in around £400. Generally favourable thoughts on the Eee pc range? Its 12" obviously, but i can live with that.

Id love to get the Alienware model hah, although its quite chunky. And thatd be £900 starting price here, rather than $900 hah. I wish i could pop over to the states a bit, it make purchasing all my video equipment a lot cheaper as well. Thanks for the help guys.

Splatter-RM-stroke.png

"A disbelief in magic can force some poor souls into believing in authority and business"

The EEE is a very good one, will probably last longer than that alienware.

what is this i dont even

The EEE will be outdated in a year, and the alienware will still be a solid gaming laptop.

The Alienware will be as outdated as the EEE in a year ;)

HD playback isn't so hard on a netbook if you use a software decoder, rather than relying on hardware. If you use CoreAVC and have an ION GPU in your netbook, you can use CUDA which will be faster still. CoreAVC + MPC-HC - only way to go about HD (H.264) video playback on Windows.

There's no need to spend so much on an Alienware when you can do exactly the same thing on something that costs far less.