Latest design

dsavi

First off, things to ignore:

• The logo ("COMPANY"), I haven't styled it at all
  • The colors, I'm still looking for suggestions there
  • The sidebar that's bright red, I haven't styled it at all except for the color so that it's visible
  • The links (About us, contact us or something) at the top, I haven't really styled those either

bkwebsitewip2.png

Like I said in the title this design is highly experimental. I used no images at all in the CSS of this design; The polygons are using an obscure CSS trick and the gradient and font are CSS3. I will update this, I'm working on it right now. This is for my last work in Visual Art class at school, so I'd like lots of CC please. :-)

C2b6gs7.png

The no image concept is great - nice job with that one! :)

Like you've said, there's a few things you haven't styled yet so once those are all fixed up I think that'll obviously increase the overall appeal and look of the page.

I like the main navigation bar, the gradient works very well and the mix of grays and black definitely suits. Is that search box slightly offset from the center vertically? If so - is it supposed to be like that? That's not overly obvious but it caught my eye for some reason.

If the white line across the page is an actual feature (the one splitting the navigation bar), I'm not quite sure on that - to me that seems to be too obvious of a divider. Although I can see that perhaps it's used as more of an intermediate divider between the red and gray to not be such a sudden change? Maybe toning down that colour, trying something darker instead of the white would blend in better. Again, same applies for the smaller white line spreading across below the navigation bar - to me the page would naturally be split in my head without that divider.

I think perhaps the lower-gray area could do with having...'something' else to it. The gray in itself seems a little overbearing, I'm not quite sure what would improve that but even a small effect or slight alteration to a part of it would draw emphasis away from it's single-coloured appearance. Nothing incredibly obvious, something relatively subtle but I think that would make all the difference.

The overall colour-scheme works well though I reckon, the main red isn't too harsh and seems to be just right to mix with the grays and black. Colour of the text seems right too!

Overall - very nicely done! I can certainly see the page having a great appearance once everything's finalised and having that done without images at all makes it all the better! :)

I've always thought that images shouldn't be needed in CSS designs. When I'm designing sites, I try to use as few as possible.

Overall, the design looks great. I really like it, and the color scheme looks good to me. Maybe the red should be a little darker, but other than that, all good.

Obscure CSS trick? Show us please :-) and good job!

I have changed the color scheme almost entirely, It's very broken right now. Added a footer, started positioning the logo, made lots of other changes. Took some suggestions into consideration.

I personally like the lighter approach I took to this color scheme, I think it works much better and makes it look more modern.

bkwebdesign4.png

C2b6gs7.png

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be honest, that side nav bar doesn't fit as well as it could in either color scheme, in my opinoin. The red is much to harsh in the first one, and I tihnk the grey is too dark/lacking a light accent/draws too much attention to itself. Love the top nav bar though! This really is excellent for having no images

-Kaosmerchant

sig1.gif

Send me a PM if you'd like any style of sig done - I'd be glad to help you out.

davis@elite:/var/www/bk2$ wc -c 960.css index.html style.css TitilliumText400wt.otf logo.png 
2588 960.css
7466 index.html
6588 style.css
22160 TitilliumText400wt.otf
2995 logo.png
41797 total

C2b6gs7.png

I'd recommend http://themeforest.net/ - never actually sold through them, but been with them since the beginning. Of course, if you are planning to sell, some extra work may be required to get the design approved (help docs etc.)