Good laptop?

shawn3090

I am going to buy a laptop soon, and will probably use it for all of college. (Junior in HS atm). I need something with a good processor like i3/i5, dedicated graphics card (I plan on doing LOTS of 3D rendering), and around 500GB of storage. Microphone and webcam are not necessary, but helpful. The mouse does not matter; I will use my current one. Also, a large screen size + battery life would be nice.

Budget: $1000 USD

Also please try to see if I can get it on newegg i just love that site.

EDIT: What would be better, Core i3/5 (or AMD equivalent) or Core 2 Quad (or AMD equivalent)?

animsig.gif

[hide=Stats]I_B_Trolin_U.png[/hide]

"One death is a tragedy. A million deaths is a statistic."

-Joseph Stalin

I was talking about those stupid 13" super cheap thingies. I don't mean 18" stuff id rather get a desktop if i wanted that.

animsig.gif

-Joseph Stalin

Uhhh. You can spend up to 1k but you want a small screen which means possibly being a netbook. You can pretty much get those for about 200-300 USD. Only bad thing is they are usually single core processors and have a horrible internal video chipset.

Try looking for some laptops at http://newegg.com

And post the links of the laptops you might want and we'll tell you if it's good.

sasignaturepb.png

iPrismatic.png

スーパーかわいい~

I am going to buy a laptop soon, and will probably use it for all of college. (Junior in HS atm). I need something with a good processor like i3/i5, dedicated graphics card (I plan on doing LOTS of 3D rendering), and around 500GB of storage. Microphone and webcam are not necessary, but helpful. The mouse does not matter; I will use my current one. Also, a large screen size + battery life would be nice.

Budget: $1000 USD

Also please try to see if I can get it on newegg i just love that site.

EDIT: What would be better, Core i3/5 (or AMD equivalent) or Core 2 Quad (or AMD equivalent)?

I was talking about those stupid 13" super cheap thingies. I don't mean 18" stuff id rather get a desktop if i wanted that.

Uhhh. You can spend up to 1k but you want a small screen which means possibly being a netbook.

Where does he say that? :???:

He wants sometime small but has good processing power and great video rendering.

A laptop that small usually is a netbook and can't go far for internal specs. The specs he asked for are usually in laptops 15" and up.

sasignaturepb.png

iPrismatic.png

スーパーかわいい~

What he wants is a desktop. A $1000 laptop will not be able to do 3D rendering, have a decent screen size and good battery life.

Well he's asking for a laptop. If he went for a desktop he can get a really good rendering pc around 800.

sasignaturepb.png

iPrismatic.png

スーパーかわいい~

Uhhh. You can spend up to 1k but you want a small screen which means possibly being a netbook.

Where does he say that? :???:

He wants sometime small but has good processing power and great video rendering.

Also, a large screen size + battery life would be nice.

Yay for misinterpretation!

For the screen, I am talking about 15.5. Also, I think I found a good one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115763

Will that work out?

Yes that computer has a very decent processor and the video card is quite good. You'll get about 200+ fps in most modern games with that laptop.

sasignaturepb.png

iPrismatic.png

スーパーかわいい~

Is that good or something? The most fps i get is 5 in like Command and Conquer Generals with my current PC, so I don't know how good 200 will be.

animsig.gif

-Joseph Stalin

Hmm, that's a better laptop that I thought you could get for that price. Still if you want to do rendering you should get a desktop, you can spend less and get better performance. Then buy a cheap netbook to take around to classes.

Also the specs for that laptop say 3.5 hr battery life and I don't think that is anywhere near possible for that laptop, that must be in a very low power mode in which the screen is turned down a lot, as well as the processor. If you are rendering then you should expect less than half of that battery life.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

After a year, the Acer battery life is almost nonexistant, I can say that by observation, someone in my class has a Acer laptop and the battery only last like 20 minutes, laptop is only a year and a half old.

My Asus laptop's battery life hasn't changed much, the battery is almost as performant as new, after 2 years of having the laptop, although it has reduce a little bit because of usual usage with any battery.

This one seems pretty good, although I usually prefer Nvidia cards because of the better drivers: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220699&cm_re=asus_laptop-_-34-220-699-_-Product

After a year, the Acer battery life is almost nonexistant, I can say that by observation, someone in my class has a Acer laptop and the battery only last like 20 minutes, laptop is only a year and a half old.

My Asus laptop's battery life hasn't changed much, the battery is almost as performant as new, after 2 years of having the laptop, although it has reduce a little bit because of usual usage with any battery.

This one seems pretty good, although I usually prefer Nvidia cards because of the better drivers: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220699&cm_re=asus_laptop-_-34-220-699-_-Product

Amazing, but with one down-side: I was planning on buying multiples :S

EDIT: Actually, I can just make two Newegg accounts.

animsig.gif

-Joseph Stalin