Hegemony Ship to Ship combat training

archimage_a

Stuff should be very expensive but not so expensive that only the top 5 countries can afford it.

There should be more planetary fighting than last time, so there needs to be a cheap way of dropping troops onto a planet.

I imagine the best way to do that is to make it more expensive than even rich countries can afford, so that people have to work together, or fall behind. I think Doom said that the first 3 players are as rich as the next 5.

So really FTL ships should cost 3 times whatever the highest player's IAG is.

The upshot of working together is that you colonise the same planet or the same system at least, which leads to friction and competition over resources, and ship maintainance fees should ensure that more and more planets are needed to defend your gains....Arms race style.

As to planetary fighting, my main idea is to have 'key systems' which are almost impossible to invade because of a massive shield that makes ships and armies worth 1,000,000 times more than normal.

But the catch is that the massive shield has to be continuous, and where it isn't defended, like huge expanses of space, it can be crossed without any problem.

So players will have to decide how 'key' those systems or planets are. The shield can be redrawn ONCE in a decade and a player may only ever have one shield. Other people's shields don't provide any benefit at all.

Everywhere else, the cost of Huge Space Defences(HSD) in maintainance fees, will make plantary defence much more expensive.

Orbital Bombardment can wipe out population centers and limit troop deployment, but has to be balanced to with destroying all or at least part of the infrastructure on a planet, making it almost worthless to attack.

Verses that, troops transport ships will cost a lot, and can be destroyed in space, destroying millions of expensive troops.

Its all up for debate though.

Well I knew you wouldn't agree. I know how you hate facing facts.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the way that ships cost a ton of money and take a while to build. It also makes people cherish their ships a whole lot more.

It's a REALLY big shaft.

I didn't catch fire, I used the can of hairspray as a flamethrower and pointed it at my arm.

how are you going to ignore my posts when I'm offering to let you live as my vassal in two weeks time?

I disagree. One country should be able to make one ship a year.

Thats just not going to happen, because either:

Grim will be building one per year and everyone else will scream because they have only build one every seven years.

OR

Grim will be building 7 ever year and everyone will scream that they can only build one per year.

Either way someone is overpowered, someone is underpowered, and I get screamed at.

Making ships take time means that players have a chance to work together, and that space combat can actually be worked out...rather than 7000 ships verses 7000 ships, result, 0 ships.

That'd mean that Grim's ships were really damn strong.

It's a REALLY big shaft.

I didn't catch fire, I used the can of hairspray as a flamethrower and pointed it at my arm.

how are you going to ignore my posts when I'm offering to let you live as my vassal in two weeks time?

Trol-

Totally agree, each planet will have a map and seperate IAG and such.

Rocco-

Could work, but it doesn't really give rich players any sort of an advantage...you might as well just give everything up, build a super fortress around your one remaining city and pump out spaceships that can go toe to toe with people who actually expanded all over space.

I think battles should be fought in EVE Online! =b

10:53 PM - retech9691: I feel the need
10:53 PM - retech9691: To include many chasms in my story arc
10:53 PM - Resistance: You mean plotholes?

Remember, Remember, the 4th of November

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Cause everyone has that game XD.

I'm still in vote for the turn based one where you pick your actions.

It's a REALLY big shaft.

Ehh... Ouyso is a decent coder, he can code in C++, html, php and one or two other languages. Though I dubt he'd care to help.

Or someone here could try to learn lua, which seems fairly simple.

You can't create a game engine with HTML...

And HTML isn't a language per se.

I knew how to do a little PHP years ago, but I have since forgot. I had my own website at one time, but I was screwed over when they changed the server to PHP 5 since I only knew PHP 4.

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

I could ask him, or I could make a linked MSN conversation between him and Archi so that they can try to agree while I still am not giving away his mail address.

If that is wanted I can arrange it as best as I can (though it requires Ouyso to be willing to spare a few moments).

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

Sword of Stars is apparently very easy to Mod, I just haven't had the time to get to grips with the interface. The only draw back is that there are a limited number of ship designs...which arn't moddable

Sword of Stars is apparently very easy to Mod, I just haven't had the time to get to grips with the interface. The only draw back is that there are a limited number of ship designs...which arn't moddable

You could try a Perfect Model Injection.

PMI is used within the modding community in order to put models that aren't part of a certain map into it, but it can be rather complicated (so I suggest finding a good guide or getting a person who's good at it to do it for you).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poZiuPTpDLU

This person was able to put stuff from Warhammer 40k into Fallout 3.

Also, it's commonly used to mod Halo maps.

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.