Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Bots are making a come-back

• Please log in to reply
503 replies to this topic

Sir_Kurity
[ Display Name History ]

Sir_Kurity

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,370 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
  • RSN:Sir Kurity
  • RSN2:Estorrath
Part of the reason why botting is illegal is that normal players shouldnt feel the need to bot in order to compete.

Say for example i was poor and went in PVP, if everyones running around with the claws that they botted and im walking around with my crappy DDS, i would be getting screwed over.

Now what, should i be compelled to get claws just so i don't get owned in PVP? Should i be compelled make unf potions for 10 hours straight? Or would i just take the easy option and start botting like the rest of them...
O.O

Swainy
[ Display Name History ]

Swainy

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • RSN:Swainy

You know what I think would be a dangerous but possible move?

Jagex could ask their player-mods who have 4+ years of experience to "do something" to those bots.

I'm not gonna go any further. Just a thought.

A local world 83 player mod is so cabbage'd off about the green dragon bots he sees daily that when he reports them, he personally follows up reports with J mods on the private forums every day until action is taken. Never seen a mod so frustrated about bots before. Glad he is taking action and demanding the same from the higher uppers.

Some of you argue that it keeps resources cheaper. But think about it, it's a false economy run by bots right there. Regardless of that; if bots were gone, demand would rise and legit players would fill the gap to supply that demand. Honest players earn more profit and it settles into a comfortable balance.

It is a pretty sad state when you start to wonder if any players around you are legitimately playing or letting a macro do the work. Almost certain there was two bots at the abyssal demons the other day. Kept trying to attack my targets even while i was seconds into engaged combat.

Kinda makes you wonder why you're following these rules that few others do, and get away with.
Posted Image

Sir_Kurity
[ Display Name History ]

Sir_Kurity

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,370 posts

Unfortantly no, whoever was fortuant enough to have Party hats (or more recently lots of climbing boots) would have an unfair advantage over a player that does not.

That doesn't effect me.

So a few people got lucky, that happens with sigils, godswords, and visages every day. What does effect me is hordes of green dragon bots, hunter bots, puro puro bots, mining bots, etc. Which not only drive down prices but also steal your resources.
O.O

Saru Inc
[ Display Name History ]

Saru Inc

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 6,463 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Saru Inc
  • RSN2:Saruman44
  • RSN '07:Thengel55
  • Clan:SODB

Jagex could ask their player-mods who have 4+ years of experience to "do something" to those bots.

A local world 83 player mod is so cabbage'd off about the green dragon bots he sees daily that when he reports them, he personally follows up reports with J mods on the private forums every day until action is taken. Never seen a mod so frustrated about bots before. Glad he is taking action and demanding the same from the higher uppers.

Some of you argue that it keeps resources cheaper. But think about it, it's a false economy run by bots right there. Regardless of that; if bots were gone, demand would rise and legit players would fill the gap to supply that demand. Honest players earn more profit and it settles into a comfortable balance.

It is a pretty sad state when you start to wonder if any players around you are legitimately playing or letting a macro do the work. Almost certain there was two bots at the abyssal demons the other day. Kept trying to attack my targets even while i was seconds into engaged combat.

Kinda makes you wonder why you're following these rules that few others do, and get away with.

Yea. I was going to reply, but I was speechless.

I do that all the time, clicking on a monster while someone is attacking. It's called kill stealing.

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

CaJ
[ Display Name History ]

CaJ

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 298 posts
  • RSN:CaJ
  • RSN2:Xxeda

I got the same opinion. I actually think some of us posting on this thread have used or are using bots (at one time or another) to take the easy way out. I consider it cheating and playing the game legitimately will give you more opportunities in the long run.

It's like saying how so many people try to make it to show business so that they can make a quick buck and be famous quickly. But they aren't committed to staying there for long. That's why I argue how a lot of present day music artists are only recording songs for the paper, they fail to have a passion to keep going and adapt to drastic changes. They want the easy ways of doing things, and will try to take shortcuts to get the job done.

Better to come off clean, and be proud with the work you have accomplished. Rather than use a program to do the dirty work for you, and wonder why something doesn't feel right.

Navyvet1
[ Display Name History ]

Navyvet1

Spider Egg

• Members
  • 74 posts
I read about 10 pages in before my eyes started to bleed. Seriously...if the bots are affecting your crappy training spot, then it obviously isn't a good spot. Runescape is loaded with spots to train at...botters can't ever code for all of them, so find where they aren't and skill away.

You will never make money skilling...face it! I've been playing for 7+ years on/off and slanted myself as a skiller, more than combat. WHAT A MISTAKE! I should have concentrated on fighting and bought the supplies I needed.

As for the self-appointed "Bot Hunters" - you are more of a nuisance to legit players than bots. Case in point - I mine my own essence to RC, and I do so at the Magic Guild in Yanille...specifically to avoid you bot hunting jerks! But you can't always avoid them...even at Yanille. I came out of the mine, and what do I see - 4 so called "Bot Hunters" spam clicking the door open and closed. I had to actually turn on my chat to freak out on them! Then...I was told to calm down, and not to get my panties in a bunch. My panties wouldn't be in a bunch if you losers would go do something worthwhile! I guess they were bored...they each had skill capes on, so the "Holier than thou" attitude was flying high.

YOU are the reason I play with chat off. I refuse to answer every *bleeping* 15 seconds to "[insert skill] Level?". YOU are the most annoying thing in RS...not the bots. Childish games like you guys play are what turn me off to Runescape. GROW UP! Acting like a P-Mod wannabe is not going to get you the silver crown...in fact, you're the reason why several of my friends who were P-Mods quit! You should be the very LAST choice for a P-Mod.

If you are so friggin' Lazy that you can't find another spot away from bots, then you aren't looking hard enough. Why don't you do some quests...I've never seen a bot in the Yew Tree in the "Lost City" - and its near a bank and Oak tree which is great to cut when waiting for the Yew to respawn...or Iron/Silver in the Dorgushuun Mines after completing "Lost Tribe"...Green Drags full? -> go fight any of the other Dragons 'cause its better xp and profit. I could go on and on about alternate spots, but I'm probably wasting my breath since people will still complain about the "Mining Guild" and "Varrock East Iron Mine" - WORST training spots ever. Get over it already!

There are SOOO many spots that I never see ANYONE at, that I feel nothing for pity for those who whine on these threads.

ENOUGH with this waste of a space topic. The bots, unfortunately, are here to stay. Either adapt, or wallow in self pity...I prefer to adapt.

langer
[ Display Name History ]

langer

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,144 posts
  • RSN:Langerkiller
@ Navyvet1

You claim that you decided to adapt, yet you are mining your own pure ess... I cannot take anything you say after that seriously.

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills
Latest Milestones Chart update : page 602
Latest top 15 update : page 602
6 slowest skills chart : page 563

Swainy
[ Display Name History ]

Swainy

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • RSN:Swainy

Yea. I was going to reply, but I was speechless.

I do that all the time, clicking on a monster while someone is attacking. It's called kill stealing.

Yeah, i'm speechless too. Abyssal Demons in the tower are single combat. That must make you master of kill stealing there i suppose? :|
Posted Image

Navyvet1
[ Display Name History ]

Navyvet1

Spider Egg

• Members
  • 74 posts
@ Langer

There ARE a few things I prefer doing myself, rather than relying on a bot for...YEESH! Seriously - that's the ONLY thing you pulled from my response? Are you kidding??

Stop trolling! Either make an intelligent comment that adds to the convo (not detracts), or GTHO. Stop trying to increase your post count with spam.

Fighting the bot situation is a waste of time. Jagex goes through cycles of mass bans, which I believe we are in the middle of right now. This would be the third one I'm am aware of. Then, your precious Mining Guild will be dead with NO ONE in it for awhile - until the bots return.

I wonder - would the self-appointed bot hunters quit if all the bots were gone? If so, then I hope Jagex bans every last bot!

langer
[ Display Name History ]

langer

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,144 posts

@ Langer

There ARE a few things I prefer doing myself, rather than relying on a bot for...YEESH! Seriously - that's the ONLY thing you pulled from my response? Are you kidding??

Stop trolling! Either make an intelligent comment that adds to the convo (not detracts), or GTHO. Stop trying to increase your post count with spam.

Fighting the bot situation is a waste of time. Jagex goes through cycles of mass bans, which I believe we are in the middle of right now. This would be the third one I'm am aware of. Then, your precious Mining Guild will be dead with NO ONE in it for awhile - until the bots return.

I wonder - would the self-appointed bot hunters quit if all the bots were gone? If so, then I hope Jagex bans every last bot!

This thread has been filled with arguments of skilling vs combat, players telling others how to play and many more claiming that manipulated low prices on botting items are good for everyone. If you want to mine your own ess, good for you. If Sword wants to hunt bots, good for him. If fighting bot is a waste of time, anything unefficient is, such as mining pure ess. I don't believe we are in a state of mass bans, the varrock east bank is a testimony to that. There is a reason why the mining guild is empty, it is nearly useless. I've never been interested in post counts, you can stop worrying about it.

From your original post, there's nothing in there that I haven't heard a hundred times. Why should bots behavior and the lack of effort to eradicate them by Jagex indicate how I or anyone should play the game? Sure there are countless other spots to train on, why should these bots affect the way I play the game, cutting me or anyone else off form certain places because of botters? You want me to treat the bot hunters the way you treat players who complain about bots? There you go:

You don't like that bot hunters hinder your gameplay when mining pure essence in Yanille? Go somewhere else! Bot hunters will always be there no matter how hard Jagex try to eradicate their prey. Adapt and gather your pure essence in another way.

Your post was so full of contradictions, it was a challenge to take you seriously.

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

CaJ
[ Display Name History ]

CaJ

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 298 posts
  • RSN:CaJ
  • RSN2:Xxeda

You will never make money skilling...face it! I've been playing for 7+ years on/off and slanted myself as a skiller, more than combat. WHAT A MISTAKE! I should have concentrated on fighting and bought the supplies I needed.

YOU are the reason I play with chat off. I refuse to answer every *bleeping* 15 seconds to "[insert skill] Level?". YOU are the most annoying thing in RS...not the bots. Childish games like you guys play are what turn me off to Runescape. GROW UP! Acting like a P-Mod wannabe is not going to get you the silver crown...in fact, you're the reason why several of my friends who were P-Mods quit! You should be the very LAST choice for a P-Mod.

If you are so friggin' Lazy that you can't find another spot away from bots, then you aren't looking hard enough. Why don't you do some quests...I've never seen a bot in the Yew Tree in the "Lost City" - and its near a bank and Oak tree which is great to cut when waiting for the Yew to respawn...or Iron/Silver in the Dorgushuun Mines after completing "Lost Tribe"...Green Drags full? -> go fight any of the other Dragons 'cause its better xp and profit. I could go on and on about alternate spots, but I'm probably wasting my breath since people will still complain about the "Mining Guild" and "Varrock East Iron Mine" - WORST training spots ever. Get over it already!

There are SOOO many spots that I never see ANYONE at, that I feel nothing for pity for those who whine on these threads.

ENOUGH with this waste of a space topic. The bots, unfortunately, are here to stay. Either adapt, or wallow in self pity...I prefer to adapt.

You are fooling yourself. There are methods to make money while skilling (Grenwalls/Pawyas give you 500-1M GP per hour, making Natures with a Graak at 91+ RC nets you 1M+ GP per hour).

With your sore attitude and pointing fingers, you are actually the one whining here. Jagex has taken notice of the bots and the programs they use, so you can't tell us we don't have any proof. Oh and on the "Mining Guild" and "Varrock Mine", lots of F2pers still use those places, so we're not just talking about members.

This topic isn't a waste of time. You are the one wasting your own time.

Navyvet1
[ Display Name History ]

Navyvet1

Spider Egg

• Members
  • 74 posts
@ langer

REALLY? Explaining to me how I get Essence, in volume, without mining it or buying it? If I fall asleep on my keyboard will it appear in my bank by Osmosis? I would think you would PREFER I mine it myself, rather than feed to bots - guess not. If I mine it, I have deal with idiots like I ran into yesterday, so I have to weigh which is more annoying - Bots or Idiots - and I'm starting to think buying it from the bots is better!

Continuously creating these stupid threads about a problem that has been in existence since the game began is dumb. Just as in Runescape, people IRL try to create ways of doing things better and faster - do you still go out and chop wood, and eat over an open campfire 3 meals a day? NO! I bet the "Wood for Campfire" providers complained too when you stopped cooking over that campfire. ALL games have this same issue. The good thing about Runescape is the world it is played in is very large, and you have a lot of choices about how to play and where to do it. As stated in the ORIGINAL thread, if you are overwhelmed by bots in one location, find where they aren't! Why is that so hard to fathom?? If you're too thick headed to change your game play, then shame on you.

And...where is my post filled with contradictions? You didn't specify - or is just easier to dismiss points of conversation that do not fit into your little picture of the world?

I'm sorry I see things slightly different than you. The idea of botting bothers me, but I refuse to throw a temper tantrum over it either. I just accept that they are here to stay. And if it gets too much, then there are other games to go play.

The ironic thing is...we agree in principal, just not on action. There has to be middle ground, but there are very few "intelligent" thread makers in this forum that ever achieve that mark. It always seems to be - "I'm Mad as hell, and everyone has to read my drivel and like it!" If someone wants to rant, fine - but follow it up with actionable ideas, or expect to get responses like mine and a few of the other posters here. We AGREE botting is wrong, but it's how folks go about dealing with it that make some of us want to pull our hair out! If the OP has the right to rant, then I have the right to counter.

Synthox
[ Display Name History ]

Synthox

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 345 posts
  • RSN:Bionic Yoshi
  • RSN2:Wels Catfish
  • Clan:TRR
Why are we still talking about bots?

They suck. We know. Move on for God's sake.

We are never going to kill all the bots. Period.

It's like a vaccine for the common cold. Ain't gonna happen.

TT rewards: 2 ranger boots, Zamorak page 1 (2x), Guthix page 1, Ancient page 2

You must construct additional oak larders doors... I mean pylons

Barrows: 10. Total value~22.3 mil. Ahrim Robeskirt is currently the item I have received the most.

langer
[ Display Name History ]

langer

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,144 posts
I'm not to thick headed to change my gameplay, as it is already changed, because I adapted to the situation of botters. What I hate is the fact that I find myself obligated to adapt because of said bots.

Your analogy to the campfires and progress in runescape is a perfect example of contradiction... You claim that everyone should adapt their gameplay because of botters and better methods, yet you are choosing to use a very outdated method of training, mining pure essence. I should give you your own advice, get a better method if bot hunters are getting in your way (make money in a different way and train mining through a faster method)! Buying pure essence doesn't mean you buy exclusively from botters, even though they are a huge part of the influx of pure ess in the game, monster drops account for a very large part of it too.

I'm in agreement with your last sentence.

I'm well aware botting is not a new issue, what is though is the fact it is so commonly accepted and that angers me more than botting itself.

Navyvet1
[ Display Name History ]

Navyvet1

Spider Egg

• Members
  • 74 posts
I don't think it is commonly accepted. When I am confident that a players actions are clearly in the realm of botting (same movement and positioning bank run after bank run), I report it. But I try to do my reporting in a way that doesn't trip up legit players as well. Spam clicking doors catches ALL players - bots and legit. If someone doesn't respond when I ask a question, I cannot assume they are a bot - they could be muted or just refuse to respond!

True - I can train @ AZs and try and compete with other players there - or a few of the other monsters that drop ess, but clearly they are not a guarantee source or essence in bulk during the small snipets of time I have to play; mining or buying are the faster choices. But these are options - which is what I was getting at in my OP. If one method is not working, find another! I admit it was annoying, at first, to alter my game play due to bots. But it also forced me to explore RS and read guides on Tip.it to unearth alternate ways of achieving my goals. I feel I am a better player for it. There is a lot of knowledge available for players in the Guides section - just some people are way too set in there ways to think outside the bot box.

And...I do understand that there are ways to make money at Skilling - but it requires higher levels that the majority of players don't have.

I structured my response from a Membership perspective - it may have been short-sighted since I have not had to play in the Free Game for quite some time - for free players, I would assume the bots are a bigger problem than for members. The main skilling methods for making money are firmly set in the Member side of RS - it never existed on the Free servers after the GE came online...and debatable whether skilling was profitable on the free servers prior to the GE.

With that said, I also realize that the bot problem can never be completely eliminated. I counter with the potential that there is room for abuse in false reporting and the resulting ban/mute that DOES impact legit players. Let's face it - the bot problem is WAY less than when it used to be in the heady RWT days. I'm glad those days are over and I do not expect we will ever see Bots in that volume again - there is just no incentive. I am optimistic that once these "Bots" achieve their goal, the accomplishments are hollow and they will move on from boredom. RS will be in constant flux due to bots, but it is better now than it used to be.

And to end - Instead of constantly accusing Jagex of doing nothing, I have instead decided to give them props for what they have done and continue to do. I do not want to see them turn a deaf ear to bots due the constant barrage of complaints from players - maybe encouraging them with some good natured praise will be better that dousing them in venom all the time.

langer
[ Display Name History ]

langer

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,144 posts
And finally, I am in complete agreement with your last post. I just feel there needs to be some voices that condemn botting and challenge other players that botting is "still" a problem, even though it used to be a lot more problematic.

Sir_Kurity
[ Display Name History ]

Sir_Kurity

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,370 posts

Spam clicking doors catches ALL players - bots and legit.

I would like to think im awake enough when playing to not get stuck behind a door for 5 minutes.

Bots are a problem. Sure, they will never be truely eliminated, but people like ring-world saying they help the game is somewhat concerning.
O.O

Ring_World
[ Display Name History ]

Ring_World

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,492 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired

I would like to think im awake enough when playing to not get stuck behind a door for 5 minutes.

Bots are a problem. Sure, they will never be truely eliminated, but people like ring-world saying they help the game is somewhat concerning.

They help individuals and hurt indivuals I take back what i previously said about it helping the game, as there are those who benefit from them as well as those who get hurt by them

I dont think either side is wise enough to assert that they are 100% bad for the game or 100% good for the game, there is an obvious benefit and loss ratio to players on both sides.

Also sorry to anyone who I went too far with while trying to argue my opinion on bots

Sir_Kurity
[ Display Name History ]

Sir_Kurity

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,370 posts

They help individuals and hurt indivuals I take back what i previously said about it helping the game, as there are those who benefit from them as well as those who get hurt by them

I dont think either side is wise enough to assert that they are 100% bad for the game or 100% good for the game, there is an obvious benefit and loss ratio to players on both sides.

Sure, bots technically help me when i get cheap ass ranarr seeds and the like.

But if a false economy with dirt cheap raw resources and many popular training spots taken over by bots which in turn diminishes the use of many of the gathering skills is your definition of benifit then yes, it benifits.

Benifiting the game is not only getting getting high skills and the like.
O.O

Ring_World
[ Display Name History ]

Ring_World

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,492 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired

Sure, bots technically help me when i get cheap ass ranarr seeds and the like.

But if a false economy with dirt cheap raw resources and many popular training spots taken over by bots which in turn diminishes the use of many of the gathering skills is your definition of benifit then yes, it benifits.

Benifiting the game is not only getting getting high skills and the like.

Gathering skills in runescape being profitable? Heh reminds me of a thread back in 05 about someone who was mad about that. He said:

Hey Jagex, Ive decided to not be lazy and work to get a party hat,

And he said wc = over 100mil xp doing either magics or yews
Mining = Over 30mil xp in any method besides rune (but that would take you 10 years anyways)
Etc.

My point, gathering has been dead since before most people have even been playing. While bots do hurt the situation, its a result of people failing to adapt to a changing game (because even without bots gathering isnt profitable as MH'ing or merchenting in the best of situations)

But I do agree bots certainly do hurt the problem, and are bad for the game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users