Bots are making a come-back

Cacmypants

You will never make money skilling...face it! I've been playing for 7+ years on/off and slanted myself as a skiller, more than combat. WHAT A MISTAKE! I should have concentrated on fighting and bought the supplies I needed.

YOU are the reason I play with chat off. I refuse to answer every *bleeping* 15 seconds to "[insert skill] Level?". YOU are the most annoying thing in RS...not the bots. Childish games like you guys play are what turn me off to Runescape. GROW UP! Acting like a P-Mod wannabe is not going to get you the silver crown...in fact, you're the reason why several of my friends who were P-Mods quit! You should be the very LAST choice for a P-Mod.

If you are so friggin' Lazy that you can't find another spot away from bots, then you aren't looking hard enough. Why don't you do some quests...I've never seen a bot in the Yew Tree in the "Lost City" - and its near a bank and Oak tree which is great to cut when waiting for the Yew to respawn...or Iron/Silver in the Dorgushuun Mines after completing "Lost Tribe"...Green Drags full? -> go fight any of the other Dragons 'cause its better xp and profit. I could go on and on about alternate spots, but I'm probably wasting my breath since people will still complain about the "Mining Guild" and "Varrock East Iron Mine" - WORST training spots ever. Get over it already!

There are SOOO many spots that I never see ANYONE at, that I feel nothing for pity for those who whine on these threads.

ENOUGH with this waste of a space topic. The bots, unfortunately, are here to stay. Either adapt, or wallow in self pity...I prefer to adapt.

You are fooling yourself. There are methods to make money while skilling (Grenwalls/Pawyas give you 500-1M GP per hour, making Natures with a Graak at 91+ RC nets you 1M+ GP per hour).

With your sore attitude and pointing fingers, you are actually the one whining here. Jagex has taken notice of the bots and the programs they use, so you can't tell us we don't have any proof. Oh and on the "Mining Guild" and "Varrock Mine", lots of F2pers still use those places, so we're not just talking about members.

This topic isn't a waste of time. You are the one wasting your own time.

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ langer

REALLY? Explaining to me how I get Essence, in volume, without mining it or buying it? If I fall asleep on my keyboard will it appear in my bank by Osmosis? I would think you would PREFER I mine it myself, rather than feed to bots - guess not. If I mine it, I have deal with idiots like I ran into yesterday, so I have to weigh which is more annoying - Bots or Idiots - and I'm starting to think buying it from the bots is better!

Continuously creating these stupid threads about a problem that has been in existence since the game began is dumb. Just as in Runescape, people IRL try to create ways of doing things better and faster - do you still go out and chop wood, and eat over an open campfire 3 meals a day? NO! I bet the "Wood for Campfire" providers complained too when you stopped cooking over that campfire. ALL games have this same issue. The good thing about Runescape is the world it is played in is very large, and you have a lot of choices about how to play and where to do it. As stated in the ORIGINAL thread, if you are overwhelmed by bots in one location, find where they aren't! Why is that so hard to fathom?? If you're too thick headed to change your game play, then shame on you.

And...where is my post filled with contradictions? You didn't specify - or is just easier to dismiss points of conversation that do not fit into your little picture of the world?

I'm sorry I see things slightly different than you. The idea of botting bothers me, but I refuse to throw a temper tantrum over it either. I just accept that they are here to stay. And if it gets too much, then there are other games to go play.

The ironic thing is...we agree in principal, just not on action. There has to be middle ground, but there are very few "intelligent" thread makers in this forum that ever achieve that mark. It always seems to be - "I'm Mad as hell, and everyone has to read my drivel and like it!" If someone wants to rant, fine - but follow it up with actionable ideas, or expect to get responses like mine and a few of the other posters here. We AGREE botting is wrong, but it's how folks go about dealing with it that make some of us want to pull our hair out! If the OP has the right to rant, then I have the right to counter.

Why are we still talking about bots?

They suck. We know. Move on for God's sake.

We are never going to kill all the bots. Period.

It's like a vaccine for the common cold. Ain't gonna happen.

Bionic_Yoshi.png

TT rewards: 2 ranger boots, Zamorak page 1 (2x), Guthix page 1, Ancient page 2

You must construct additional oak larders doors... I mean pylons

Barrows: 10. Total value~22.3 mil. Ahrim Robeskirt is currently the item I have received the most.

I'm not to thick headed to change my gameplay, as it is already changed, because I adapted to the situation of botters. What I hate is the fact that I find myself obligated to adapt because of said bots.

Your analogy to the campfires and progress in runescape is a perfect example of contradiction... You claim that everyone should adapt their gameplay because of botters and better methods, yet you are choosing to use a very outdated method of training, mining pure essence. I should give you your own advice, get a better method if bot hunters are getting in your way (make money in a different way and train mining through a faster method)! Buying pure essence doesn't mean you buy exclusively from botters, even though they are a huge part of the influx of pure ess in the game, monster drops account for a very large part of it too.

I'm in agreement with your last sentence.

I'm well aware botting is not a new issue, what is though is the fact it is so commonly accepted and that angers me more than botting itself.

langerkiller.png

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

Latest Milestones Chart update : page 602

Latest top 15 update : page 602

6 slowest skills chart : page 563

I don't think it is commonly accepted. When I am confident that a players actions are clearly in the realm of botting (same movement and positioning bank run after bank run), I report it. But I try to do my reporting in a way that doesn't trip up legit players as well. Spam clicking doors catches ALL players - bots and legit. If someone doesn't respond when I ask a question, I cannot assume they are a bot - they could be muted or just refuse to respond!

True - I can train @ AZs and try and compete with other players there - or a few of the other monsters that drop ess, but clearly they are not a guarantee source or essence in bulk during the small snipets of time I have to play; mining or buying are the faster choices. But these are options - which is what I was getting at in my OP. If one method is not working, find another! I admit it was annoying, at first, to alter my game play due to bots. But it also forced me to explore RS and read guides on Tip.it to unearth alternate ways of achieving my goals. I feel I am a better player for it. There is a lot of knowledge available for players in the Guides section - just some people are way too set in there ways to think outside the bot box.

And...I do understand that there are ways to make money at Skilling - but it requires higher levels that the majority of players don't have.

I structured my response from a Membership perspective - it may have been short-sighted since I have not had to play in the Free Game for quite some time - for free players, I would assume the bots are a bigger problem than for members. The main skilling methods for making money are firmly set in the Member side of RS - it never existed on the Free servers after the GE came online...and debatable whether skilling was profitable on the free servers prior to the GE.

With that said, I also realize that the bot problem can never be completely eliminated. I counter with the potential that there is room for abuse in false reporting and the resulting ban/mute that DOES impact legit players. Let's face it - the bot problem is WAY less than when it used to be in the heady RWT days. I'm glad those days are over and I do not expect we will ever see Bots in that volume again - there is just no incentive. I am optimistic that once these "Bots" achieve their goal, the accomplishments are hollow and they will move on from boredom. RS will be in constant flux due to bots, but it is better now than it used to be.

And to end - Instead of constantly accusing Jagex of doing nothing, I have instead decided to give them props for what they have done and continue to do. I do not want to see them turn a deaf ear to bots due the constant barrage of complaints from players - maybe encouraging them with some good natured praise will be better that dousing them in venom all the time.

And finally, I am in complete agreement with your last post. I just feel there needs to be some voices that condemn botting and challenge other players that botting is "still" a problem, even though it used to be a lot more problematic.

langerkiller.png

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

Latest Milestones Chart update : page 602

Latest top 15 update : page 602

6 slowest skills chart : page 563

Spam clicking doors catches ALL players - bots and legit.

I would like to think im awake enough when playing to not get stuck behind a door for 5 minutes.

Bots are a problem. Sure, they will never be truely eliminated, but people like ring-world saying they help the game is somewhat concerning.

O.O

Spam clicking doors catches ALL players - bots and legit.

I would like to think im awake enough when playing to not get stuck behind a door for 5 minutes.

Bots are a problem. Sure, they will never be truely eliminated, but people like ring-world saying they help the game is somewhat concerning.

They help individuals and hurt indivuals I take back what i previously said about it helping the game, as there are those who benefit from them as well as those who get hurt by them

I dont think either side is wise enough to assert that they are 100% bad for the game or 100% good for the game, there is an obvious benefit and loss ratio to players on both sides.

Sure, bots technically help me when i get cheap ass ranarr seeds and the like.

But if a false economy with dirt cheap raw resources and many popular training spots taken over by bots which in turn diminishes the use of many of the gathering skills is your definition of benifit then yes, it benifits.

Benifiting the game is not only getting getting high skills and the like.

O.O

There is a choice if you want to go to Rants and complain, or whether you decide if it's not worth the time. If it's not worth the time, don't bother posting. I see too many people on these boards say they are 'sick' of 'said topic' yet they continue to post the same bullcrap when it all can be arranged. Just ignore it.

This issue has been going on for over a year. I tend to think that when the Grand Exchange was added and the trade limit was removed, this gave people a new opportunity to manipulate and exploit.

Mining Rune Essence is indeed outdated, and is no longer a popular method for any 'legitimate' player. Botters are taking advantage because it doesn't come with a price tag, and they don't have to spend several hours killing monsters that drop essence. There are a lot of monsters that drop mass quantities of essence, so mining essence isn't that good anymore.

I can never fully agree with most of you here, all that happens is you go to whine and complain. I've done it myself but I'm not trying to contradict myself either. I would hope that most people here agree that the botting problem needs to be taken into serious consideration.

The difference between years ago and now is that it seems that a lot of people actually think that this botting does a little good for the game as a whole. They like cheap resources so that they can get their next 99 and later merchant the resources off on the GE. There used to be a no tolerance policy on botting, if someone saw you do it or if Jagex found you were using a macro program, you will get banned. Now I see all these high levels and the like who don't seem to care, that it's okay to take that easy way out because you're not sitting in your chair at home doing all the clicking and pressing buttons. Times have changed and this newer breed of bots are harder to detect and report because we don't know if the person is using a program or has Public Chat off.

I'm certain however that when this entire problem passes through and becomes history, we will talk about it in a meaningful, descriptive manner, and by that time, there will be a whole new generation of players that weren't there to see it.

My point, gathering has been dead since before most people have even been playing. While bots do hurt the situation, its a result of people failing to adapt to a changing game (because even without bots gathering isnt profitable as MH'ing or merchenting in the best of situations)

Thats an understatement.

People have adapted, myself included. But you SHOULDN'T have to adapt by abandoning a skill altoghethor, or worse case scenario. Abandoning skilling, period. Because its been taken over by bots.

And its not just things like woodcutting, fishing, and mining.

Things like runecrafting, formerly making around the 1 mill mark and used to be one of the best consistent money makers. Have you looked at nature rune prices recently? Its ridiculous. Its on the rebound but we all know its going to fall again.

Things like hunter. Red chins and puro puro have been crap full of bots for god knows how long, and even if the puro-puro people aren't bots, alot of them botted there stats to get to that level. Thus increasing competition.

Thieving. Just walk past draynor village and you see a literal mass of the things. And the prices of ranarr seeds and the like just keep falling.

These 3 skills are or were among the best skills in the game for making money (still crap compared to MH), and yet they are still being effected by bots.

A runescape where only monster hunting or merchanting is a legitimate profiting method is a bad runescape. We have 20+ skills for a reason, at least make half of them useful.

http://services.runescape.com/m=itemdb_rs/3136o_graphimg3.gif?id=5295&scale=2

* Off topic, but i would say about ~10 skills are pretty much completely useless from a single player - non skillcape, non quest requirement perspective. Outside a few niche areas like handcannon.

But I do agree bots certainly do hurt the problem, and are bad for the game.

And yet you keep arguing the opposite. :rolleyes:

O.O

I read about 10 pages in before my eyes started to bleed. Seriously...if the bots are affecting your crappy training spot, then it obviously isn't a good spot. Runescape is loaded with spots to train at...botters can't ever code for all of them, so find where they aren't and skill away.

There are SOOO many spots that I never see ANYONE at, that I feel nothing for pity for those who whine on these threads.

ENOUGH with this waste of a space topic. The bots, unfortunately, are here to stay. Either adapt, or wallow in self pity...I prefer to adapt.

i disagree so much with this, bots aint gunna go for half-assed places, they are gunna go for the best until the half-assed places halve to be used, THEN we have to adapt to using half-assed places becuase bots are over running it,and it only takes one code for countless people to use that spot, when the places start getting used, they make more codes for other places,and yes skilling isnt the best money maker, but what boss does f2p have?

this is like a comunist thing, if one country falls to it then its guna be like dominoes, but with us the dominoes have already started to fall

The once was a mexican called pepsi,

Or maybe it's just he had Hep C,

He was a pretty cool bro,

Bros generally are you know,

He hailed from the land of 'taters,

He was known to hate many-a-hater,

He likes a girl named Lacey,

His thoughts about her are kind of racy,

And also his dad likes to [rooster].

Also with nat prices, its because there isnt too many other options to train rc someone that wants rc levels doesnt have a million choices on how they will gain levels, they obviously will make runes and mostly nats. Its inelastic supply because people will keep making nats whether its a 1gp profit or a million. - that is the affect of time not bots (ess price is real issue with rc, and guess what caused that mess? anti bot updates!)

Youve obviously never heard of ZMI.

Hunter is also the same problem, if half of the people who train it decided to actually play instead of bot to 99 guess what every chin world would STILL be crowded -

That or many bots would go train a skill thats more click friendly or the like because they don't like trying. And either way, human competition is better than bot competition because it feels like your playing with humans, not robots. Also, humans actually take breaks.

Its like saying if ess bots couldnt bot they would just mine ess all day as legitimate players.

No, thats not true. They would go onto other methods, unless they were really, really stupid. P ess is just something thats easily bottable and thus pretty popular despite it being a pretty hilariously bad money maker.

do not mistake my realism about the situation for supporting bots, im against them but the underlying problem is Jagex did a poor job of making hunter a group friendly skill (be it on purpose or an oversight)

Friendly competition is never a problem. Friendly botting competition :S

And with ranarr seeds losing value you completely missed why. Its not due to an over supply or seeds its due to an over supply of herbs, again bots do exaggerate the problem however the reward dungeons alone caused this mess.

Theres a multitude of causes to a single problem.

Ranarr herbs only panic crashed because of resource dungeons as you mentioned, and after the bonus XP which ironically seems to have made prices fall.

Ranarr seeds on the other hand have been steadily falling for the past, god knows how long.

a party hat without MH'ing or merching that wasnt always the case, and bots alone arent to blame its the fact runescape itself changed, i can argue this point all day but the point of the thread is bots are bad and i relinquish that arguement,

Lets leave party hats out of this. There rarity and complete lack of actual supply means its out of reach of pretty much every legitimate player who say, started this year.

Personally i doubt even monster hunters can easily hunt there way up to a partyhat without a lucky divine drop or similar.

Most other high level items, say claws, bandos, godswords, etc, are quite in reach for most legitimate methods.

your right im wrong

I hate to sound like a child. But...

WOOT!

O.O

very much off topic but

one year ago i had maybe 200m

today i have a green partyhat and a divine (bought)

so it is still possible to get one with effort

Yes, a year ago you had 200 mill, which to be honest, is alot of money, and chances are had awesome stats.

If for example, someone just started a year i don't see them getting a partyhat without extreme luck.

O.O

i went from 40m to 200m on a side account playing it for 15 mins a day in two months. 200m is not a lot

yes my account was 99 attack strength and defence, but other than that i had no good levels. this was oct 13 2009:

stats-oct132009.png

and best of bank:

boboct13.png

if you wanted proof

@ Navyvet1

You claim that you decided to adapt, yet you are mining your own pure ess... I cannot take anything you say after that seriously.

I noticed too. Bots never take up the best spots, they take easy things with little risk and get a low yield.

Edit - Hmm, he seems to have his shift key stuck. Someone should tell him.

I didnt but thats prty epic.

I have 38 mill on my account now, i wonder if i can get 200 mill in 2 months :thumbsup:

kill green dragons - rage at the quantity of bots there, lol

Bots very rarely exist in PvP. Pretty sure those can reach 3m/h if you're doing it right

kill green dragons

Your reading skills need toning up on. Theres no way you can make even 100 mill doing greens for 15 minutes a day.

- rage at the quantity of bots there, lol

I don't rage at bots, i think they are a problem.

Is it suddenly wrong to actually not like bots? :unsure:, i assure you, though we both have similar points of view, i am in no way related to bot_slayer_hunter_sword. In the same way that your not a bot, just because you support bots.

O.O

link not found

nuff said

The once was a mexican called pepsi,

Or maybe it's just he had Hep C,

He was a pretty cool bro,

Bros generally are you know,

He hailed from the land of 'taters,

He was known to hate many-a-hater,

He likes a girl named Lacey,

His thoughts about her are kind of racy,

And also his dad likes to [rooster].

I wasnt quoting you i was just listing methods in general, and i dont support bots just differ from you on how bad for the game i think they are and whether jagex is teh core of the problems and bots just exaggerate things that would still be issues.

Jagex isnt the core of the problem but temp bans for botters (without any stat revert or similar) was definately a step backwards. This is along with already existing problems with the skill in general.

They may as well be encouraging bots.

O.O

This Bot issue has been around for a long time, but just like security upgrades so do the programers it will ALWAYS be an issue sometimes it will impact the runescape community more than other times but end of the day there is no 100% to get rid of it.

Currently 'The' Clan General

Join 'THE' NOW

10 years and going

Forums = www.theclanrs.com

flamesig.jpg

I didnt but thats prty epic.

I have 38 mill on my account now, i wonder if i can get 200 mill in 2 months :thumbsup:

kill green dragons - rage at the quantity of bots there, lol

Bots very rarely exist in PvP. Pretty sure those can reach 3m/h if you're doing it right

3mil an hour? :blink: :shock: :eek: Thats worth bringing a cannon, tort, super set, and a large supply of games necklaces for easy banking

Am i close on the method? bank at dung and teleport to clan wars and kill the drags east of it and put a cannon to lul at the competition?

Or is the 3mil an hour different because my curiosity has been peaked

To get that figure you have to be able to PvP effectively. Only works with Yak, and gotta be aware of the Dclawers/Mages that randomly attack people.