What would you sporty/fit people recommend...

Sy_Accursed

I wanna make an effort to get fit and in shape this summer.

I'm pretty slim, but not really at all fit like my stamina etc is pretty poor.

I have wii fit, I know its not proper excercise but I like it for a basic workout type thing I can try to do daily.

And I have a rowing machine at home as well and a walker/stepper thing (the remains of working off gap year laziness/indulgence)

Anyway I basically just wanna try and improve my stamina and maybe do some muscle toning stuff to get rid of bean pole arms and make stomach/chest look decent stead of just skinny.

Also I'm not a fan of gyms so at home on a budget = win.

So what would you guys recommend or suggest?

I was contemplating get a set of weights to try n build biceps a bit; but again no idea what would be good weight to aim for.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I dont know how it is where you live, but here it is really expensive to buy weights. And theres a gym near me that charges 25 dollars per month. Gyms have tons of accessible equipment that can help target muscles.

I mean if you really want to though, definitely make sure to buy bars with plates so that you can adjust the weight. Weights are usually priced by the pound. So for 2 20 pound dumbells it would be 40 bucks. For 2 15 lb dumbells it would be $30. So to have a set of 20 and 15, it would cost $70. Or, if you buy adjustable plates, you just need 40 lbs of plates and would save almost 50%.

Should be something like this

adjustable-dumbbells2.jpg

You should also look into getting a bench

weightBench-lrg.jpg

I mean really though, gyms are great. If you are looking to tone your chest, youll be doing bench press. Within a few months of training youll be able to bench your bodyweight...so in weight plates alone you'll be looking at a $150+ investment, plus the bench and the bars and stuff. It gets expensive.

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

Hmm thanks for the input. From what I've seen dumbells seem to be a lot cheaper here so I might look at getting a set.

And I don't think the bench is so much for me, I mean I wanna tone my chest a bit, but not to the kinda of "muscle stud" extent you do via bench pressing. I'm thinking more along lines of like press ups or w/e just so its worked out and toned a bit.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Toning is a myth. The muscle gets bigger or smaller. Bench pressing is not going to take you from your wimpy chest to a barrel chest. Whatever you want your chest to look like, a bench will help get you there.

This is something that I see women being guilty of. "Well I dont want to be big and bulky, just "toned". So I'm gonna do low weight exercises with a high ammount of repetition" It is just a flat out myth. If you want your muscles to change their appearance, you have to do heavy lifts.

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

Clearly you have no concept of what toning is.

Toning is merely tightening the muscle so that it holds a firmer shape, its not about trying to grow muscle mass.

I agree a lot of jack women bang on about with toning is dumb, but it doesnt make the entire thing a myth.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

No he's actually right, a muscle either grows or it shrinks. When most people talk about toning they really just mean cutting the fat around the muscle so it appears more defined. A muscle doesn't hold "a tighter shape" by doing pressups, and if you can permanently contract your muscles like that I'd be worried about your physiology.

And trust us when we say doing the bench press a few times a week won't give you a "muscle stud" body, that takes years of hard training, good genetics and a shedload of protein. Man up and get to a gym if you want muscle quickly. Rowing machines are great though, if you want to improve your stamina do long (2x20 or 2x30 minute) pieces on them at about 60% of your maximum heart rate. Make sure you're using the right technique though, rowing is a leg drive movement, don't heave through with the arms like 90% of people do in gyms. Visit the concept 2 website if you want more details on rowing technique and training ideas with a rowing machine.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

As far as I am aware toning means working the muscle a bit so it isn't "slack" for want of a better word. Though obv this has bigger impact in some areas than others, eg toning stomach muscles can help to pull ur stomach in flatter. And also cutting away fat to give better shape.

I never said I wanted muscle, I said I wanted tone.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

As far as I am aware toning means working the muscle a bit so it isn't "slack" for want of a better word. Though obv this has bigger impact in some areas than others, eg toning stomach muscles can help to pull ur stomach in flatter. And also cutting away fat to give better shape.

I never said I wanted muscle, I said I wanted tone.

And we, the people who have more fitness experience than you, are telling you that tone muscle is A LIE. I am sorry. It is false.

It was invented by the media and commercialization of phony workout equipment. Toning does not exist. How about you show me a picture of a person who has a body that you would like to have? Like a celebrity or male model. I can assure you that they did bench press movements.

There are two things you can do to make your body look better: lose fat or gain muscle. Toning is a myth. Your muscles do not have "slack" in them. The only way to "pull your stomach in flatter" is to lose fat.

I'm not saying that you can't get the look that you want. I'm saying that the look you want is going to come with a classic muscle building strength routine probably. I guarantee that you THINK you want "tone" but what that actually entails is just simply building the muscle.

Myweponsgood.gif

So because toning is a specific cross section of fat burning and small muscle gain it doesn't exist?

If you insist, though it makes perfect sense to me. As toning entails a combo of cardio and muscle work opposed to pure cardio for weight lose or pure muscle work for muscle gain.

I think y'all going wrong road for what I want prob thru my bad wording. I'm not looking at all to get a muscled/cut general look. I primarily wanna improve my stamina and general fitness but also at same time get some shape, I spose the best way description wuld be the swimmers body look. So like the stomach region has a toned look but isn't really the ab/6-pac look and the chest has just enough there to not just be look flat ribs! but at same time isn't look I have pecs!

I should probably point out also:

I'm not in the teenager crazy easy bracket I'm early 20s

I'm not insanely skinny; I'm about average, possibly marginall on the heavy side.

I'm the sort of stereotypical rugby player build (Crazy tall, broad shoulders, go in a fair bit at the waist but still have fairly broad hips)

Plv6Dz6.jpg

I'm not saying that you can't get the look that you want. I'm saying that the look you want is going to come with a classic muscle building strength routine probably. I guarantee that you THINK you want "tone" but what that actually entails is just simply building the muscle.

He's right. People think i'm more 'tone' than 'beef', yet all I do is heavy lifting exercises. If you're already inevitably skinny because of a high teenager metabolism, doing weights is the only way you're going to look close to healthy.

hiccup.png

Lets say this is you:

skinnyfatguy.jpg

Lets say this is what you want:

michael-phelps-shirtless.jpg

To get from the first picture to the second picture, you would use a muscle building routine with heavy weights. Bench press, chest fly, dumbbell curls, tricep extensions, military press, squats, deadlift, pullups, etc...All would be good exercises to build the muscle. You want to do heavy weights for 6-8 reps. If you can do 9 reps with a weight, you need to increase the weight.

If you want to also increase your cardiovascular health, then simply run for 30 minutes after you get done lifting weights. Doing nothing but press-ups and running and swimming and rowing is not going to get you a swimmers body if you currently look like that scrawny guy.

Bench presses are not going to instantly make you look like this:

ronniecoleman.jpg

Myweponsgood.gif

Bench press and possibly chest fly still seem a bit chest heavy for what I want IMO, as does dead lifting. But I see watcha aiming at, though I doubt I'm going to pull of anything that intensive.

Also 30minute run, you VASTLY over estimate my stamina levels. My general fitness isn't awful, but my stamina is APPAULING. I'd be lucky if I could keep up running for 5 minutes.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Bench press and possibly chest fly still seem a bit chest heavy for what I want IMO, as does dead lifting. But I see watcha aiming at, though I doubt I'm going to pull of anything that intensive.

Also 30minute run, you VASTLY over estimate my stamina levels. My general fitness isn't awful, but my stamina is APPAULING. I'd be lucky if I could keep up running for 5 minutes.

I really don't understand. You come here because you want advice for getting the fitness that you want. You ask us because we know more than you. Then you say that in your opinion my advice is wrong. If you knew what you were doing, you wouldn't be here asking for help. To get the look you want, you need to do around 3 exercises per body part, using weight that is heavy for you, for 6-8 reps, 3 sets of each exercise.

Also "A 30 minute run" doesn't mean you have to run really fast the whole time. Or even jog. It just means that you get out there and give it your best for 30 minutes. If you can only jog for 5 of those minutes then that is fine, just keep with it and youll be able to start running more and more of the time. Just get out there for a half hour and walk with as much running/jogging as possible. You need to keep pushing for the whole 30 minutes though.

Myweponsgood.gif

Well I'm not totally oblivious in the realms of fitness stuff. I do know the basics of what exercises target what areas etc. and I also have a better idea in my head than I can articulate of what I want.

I see where ur advice is coming from, but at the same time I see that is putting more emphasis on chest working exercises than I really desire. And also your advise is kinda coming from a fitness boff down the gym everyday its normal way of life routines where as I'm aiming for something a bit less intensive at least for now.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Well I'm not totally oblivious in the realms of fitness stuff. I do know the basics of what exercises target what areas etc. and I also have a better idea in my head than I can articulate of what I want.

I see where ur advice is coming from, but at the same time I see that is putting more emphasis on chest working exercises than I really desire. And also your advise is kinda coming from a fitness boff down the gym everyday its normal way of life routines where as I'm aiming for something a bit less intensive at least for now.

You sound like 95% of the people who are coming into the gym and asking me for help. People see me and ask me for help cause theyve been doing their routine for 6 months and have gotten no results. Then I tell them what they need to do to make progress and they say "That doesnt sound right for what I want." Then they keep doing the same stupid routine that they feel comfortable with and they keep seeing a miniscule ammount of progress or no progress at all.

Go ahead and do whatever you want. Ignore the advice that sounds too hard for you. Eventually maybe youll realise that you should listen to people with more experience, or maybe youll just stubbornly keep doing it your way and say what most people say: "Dang, I wish I had better genetics! Cant make any progress..."

And I'm not suggesting something "heavy on the chest". First of all, a weight bench is good to have for many different body parts. Secondly, I just wanted to list the bench as one of the many examples of equipment that you will need to have acess to in order to make progress after getting rid of your initial weakness.

Myweponsgood.gif

No need to be a [bleep].

Yes I'm not entirely gonna do all u advise, but I'm not writing it off either.

I'm not even claiming things to be too hard; where I'm spending the summer is the back end of nowhere even if I wanted to I couldn't really afford to attend a gym anywhere near regularly. So for now at least I'm gonna do things low key, after all change doesn't happen overnight. I've got like 3 half months to build up some basic muscle strength and stamina and make progress; then I return to uni and easy gym access and can step things up a notch.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

No need to be a [bleep].

Yes I'm not entirely gonna do all u advise, but I'm not writing it off either.

I'm not even claiming things to be too hard; where I'm spending the summer is the back end of nowhere even if I wanted to I couldn't really afford to attend a gym anywhere near regularly. So for now at least I'm gonna do things low key, after all change doesn't happen overnight. I've got like 3 half months to build up some basic muscle strength and stamina and make progress; then I return to uni and easy gym access and can step things up a notch.

Okay. I can work with that. It helps to understand your motivations for why you arent looking for something so "intensive". I was suggesting other more strict programs because they are not much harder, and will get you faster results.

But I understand now that you are actually looking for a SMALL program that WILL give you slow results and with a tiny commitment. I can definitely help with that.

The only thing you are going to need is a dumbell set like the one I linked above. Two dumbbell bars, and get like...40 lbs worth of plates (like 20 kg...you use kg right?) so you can go up to 20 lbs (10 kg) per arm. Make sure that you get plates that screw on, so you can change the weight for different exercises, and change weight. You should get small plates like 2.5 lb (1 kg) so you can have the most ammounts of weight on each side (you can do 5, 7.5, 10, etc...if you got 5 lb plates you could only do 10, 15, 20, etc)

Heres a short and simple exercise program. For each exercise, do it for 45 seconds at a moderate pace, then take 15 seconds of rest.

1. Push-ups

2. Bicep curls (both arms at the same time)

3. Tricep skull-crushers (http://www.5min.com/Video/Strength-Training-Workout---Dumbbell-Skull-Crushers-149453999)

4. Crunches or situps

5. Military press or side lateral raise.

6. Supermans (

)

7. Dumbbell squats--start doing these with just body weight (

)

Once you get through the 7 exercises, rest for a minute, then do the whole list again. So the entire workout takes 15 minutes. If you are looking for a little more commitment than this, just do the list one more time. Make sure to count how many reps you do in the 45 seconds. Every time you exercise you should either try to get more reps in the 45 seconds, or increase the ammount of weight. (Notice I said TRY to do more. You probably wont actually accomplish it EVERY workout, but the important thing is to push for it EVERY time)

Do this at least 3 days per week, but no more than 5 days. For cardio, you can run, row, or stair climb. Do it for 30 minutes at the best pace that you can. Do the cardio either directly after your weight training, or on the days that you dont do weights. Make sure there is at least one day per week when you dont do either cardio or the strength routine.

Also make sure to watch what you eat. You need proper fuel to complement your exercise. Eat lots of protein (chicken, beef, tuna, eggs, milk, cheese, etc) and eat vegetables and fruits with every meal.

Good luck.

Myweponsgood.gif

Just listen to what wepons says, he knows his [cabbage]. And why wouldn't you want to work your chest too? You'd like weird and disproportionate as [bleep] if you didn't, and you'd get muscle imbalances.

Also going to stress this for emphasis

Also make sure to watch what you eat. You need proper fuel to complement your exercise. Eat lots of protein (chicken, beef, tuna, eggs, milk, cheese, etc) and eat vegetables and fruits with every meal.

As for "toning", I'm probably beating a dead horse here, but

As for toning, "toning" is basically saying you want to increase the visibility of muscle (muscle tone). You do this through cutting bodyfat if you already have a 'fair' amount of muscle mass, or gaining muscle. If you're already skinny and lanky, you could conceivably tone your abs by drastically cutting bodyfat, but it would be unhealthy and you would see the 'base' muscle on your skeleton- and we're all asymmetrical. What I'm saying is- you probably don't want to see yourself really skinny, because you're going to look like a goddamn freak.

yes.png

When you start running you can't just start with running 30 minutes. Try to figure out a scheme on the internet, there's plenty. When you start with 0 stamina you just run for like five minutes, walk for a couple of minutes, run for five minutes, walk for a couple of minutes and repeat that stuff. It also wouldn't be a very bad idea to train your legs, because your legs probably aren't used to the blows you get from running so you have a higher risk of injurys. Also invest in good shoes.

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

I love every topic where wep offers great, legit advice and they always shoot him down and disregard it. It's unbelievable.

Respect to wep for his persistence.

I love every topic where wep offers great, legit advice and they always shoot him down and disregard it. It's unbelievable.

Respect to wep for his persistence.

I think that most people don't realize that it actually takes some work to get and stay fit. They think "ah, 20 push-ups in the morning, lifting some dumbells and a mile in the evening and I'll be in incredible shape in no-time".

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

It IS frustrating sometimes with people who know mostly nothing. Whats even more frustrating is when people are fooled by Hollywood promises of 6-pack abs and rock hard glutes by using some phony exercise product for 10 minutes a day.

But, really, you can't blame people for their health misconceptions. Sure, theyd be able to find the real information if they tried to, but without even trying, people get bombarded by useless junk all the time (hell, as I am typing this up, a commercial came on for those "shape up" shoes that promise to get you in shape by just wearing them -.- )

We teach lots of great stuff in schools, but it is pathetic how little we teach people about perserving their own body (or what it takes to achieve above-average fitness)

Myweponsgood.gif

Toning is merely tightening the muscle so that it holds a firmer shape, its not about trying to grow muscle mass.

I agree a lot of jack women bang on about with toning is dumb, but it doesnt make the entire thing a myth.

Toning is a myth. Working out will build muscle, and losing fat will make it appear more defined. That's the be all and end all of it.

EDIT: read the whole thread, just listen to wep.

If you come here asking for help, and then ignore somebody who frankly, has a lot more knowledge than you do, then all I can say is good luck doing exercises for 6 months with no results.

EDIT 2:

I think that most people don't realize that it actually takes some work to get and stay fit. They think "ah, 20 push-ups in the morning, lifting some dumbells and a mile in the evening and I'll be in incredible shape in no-time".

I can testify to this. I don't have time for a serious workout, so i basically just do some push ups and chin ups every day. I've been doing this for months, and I look exactly the same as I did before, skinny and not muscular. I do it more for stretching purposes than anything, seeing as I basically sit on the computer all day at work/school.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Toning is a myth. Working out will build muscle, and losing fat will make it appear more defined. That's the be all and end all of it.

The toning myth goes hand in hand with the myth that you should choose an area of the body you are unhappy with and 'fix' it. people who do sit ups when they think their belly is fat will either; change nothing, have a more pronounced stomach and/or develop bad posture which will require expensive professional attention. Both myths are potentially very harmful and its borderline criminal that 'health' companies exploit these myths in combination with body image insecurities [/rant]

NICKELEY102.png

Ignoring the toning debate, I'll offer my 2 cents and review the advice you have already recieved:

•  
  • Wii Fit is a great start, follow the designated programme
  • Use interval training when running (run 100 steps, walk 50, repeat)
  • If there is a playground nearby I would recommend 3 sets of push ups, tricep push-ups, pull-ups, wide grip pull-ups and sit ups. You could add your own number of reps but the last set should be till death.

Hopefully a little resistance training will give you ideas on what you would like to do at the gym if you ever go, oh and take some advice!

NICKELEY102.png