Help me

Hawks

So I need to learn C++. I thought I was taking it as a class, but at the moment it's not on my schedule. For our school's electrathon car, we're working on creating a computer controller that we can also pull all the data off of. So in addition to soldering (which I know how to do) I need to learn C++. My dad [probably] knows it, but can any of you recommend books/sites/tuts for very very beginners? My physics teacher says I need to know how to do everything up to classes (I do understand what they are, have no idea how to do it though).

So any resources you can give me for learning C++ would be greatly appreciated.

Does it have to be done in C++? That's not exactly the easiest "first language" to learn.

EDIT: If your dad knows it, I assume he does it as a job. If he does it as a job, there's no better way to learn, and if he's any sort of parent I'm sure he'd be happy to help you.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

I know it's not, but yeah, it kind of has to be.

He does or at least did, I'm now sure what programming languages he currently uses. I'll ask him when he gets home, but I figured I'd also ask you all because you're killer coding ninja monkeys.

I know it's not, but yeah, it kind of has to be.

He does or at least did, I'm now sure what programming languages he currently uses. I'll ask him when he gets home, but I figured I'd also ask you all because you're killer coding ninja monkeys.

Well the thing is that since C++ is an old(er) language the majority of people here aren't as familiar with it as they are otherwise. Besides, nothing beats hands on instructions.

But yes, the "for dummies" and "head first" series books are great for starting out.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

• 2 weeks later...

Video tutorials are the best. Written tutorials just don't do the trick like audio & visual together do.

But I mean just search "video tutorials for c++" and you'll get a ton of results:

http://www.intelligentedu.com/blogs/post/best_new_training_sites/3736/top-75-c-video-tutorials-at-youtubecom

The syntax is the easiest part to learn to be honest.

I learned C++ in my first year of university, I didn't find it too hard as a first language really. cplusplus.com is a great site for libraries, functions, and other things. It also has a forum (I don't know how active it is) where you can ask for help. There's a beginner tutorial as well on the front page, I think it's pretty useful. Good luck!

Blakdragon39.png