Keeping Runescape Enjoyable, Productive, and Fun!

Bows

Edits # 1 & 2 6/18/2010 : Added links underneath all skills section which takes you to skill guides/combat guides. Also added in 3 Mini-games/Activites.

Edit # 3 6/18/2010 : Added contributors tab to keep track of everyone who gives me ideas, and tells me what things would fit in the guide.

Edits # 4 & 5 6/19/2010 : Added a segment about fun things to do with friends. Also added a support section for people to use a link to the guide in their signature for support.

Edit # 6 6/19/2010 : Added the first fun/interesting wat to train combat.

Hey! Thanks for visiting my guide on keeping your Runescape play time productive, but also fun!

No matter what your stats are, or how long you've been playing, I'm sure everyone has hit that pivital point in their Runescape career when they just have no idea what to do when they log on. I know I have, and that's when I realized that to keep myself interested, I should just do things I find fun at the time, and when they aren't fun anymore; I do something else I deem as fun. :)

In order to keep things fun, productive, and interesting while you play you must first address what your interests in Runescape actually are, the two main types people classify themselves into are -

The skill focused players tend to focus on skills that do not involve combat directly or indirectly, while combat focused players focus mainly on training the skills that will increase their combat level and involve killing monsters around the world of Runescape. As you can see, those are two very different player archetypes, there are more obviously, but I don't feel the need to delve too deep into them, as this is not a guide explaining player types, now is it? ;)

Once you have decided whether you are combat or skill based, it's easier to understand what things you find enjoyable. (You should already know this, depending on which of the two archetypes you fall in to.) I will now explain what you can do to keep yourself interested in the game, being produtive, and most importantly: having fun! This is a game, after all!

[hide=For The Skillers!]So you've decided that you're a skiller huh? That means you focus mainly on -

• Woodcutting
  • Mining
  • Fishing
  • Smithing
  • Firemaking
  • Fletching
  • Cooking
  • Hunter
  • Herblore
  • Farming
  • Crafting
  • Agility
  • Thieving
  • Runecrafting
  • Construction
  • List of Skill Guides

If you, as a Skiller, enjoy the gathering skills, the main three being -

That's good, now pick your favorite! If it's Mining, by all means, mine all the ore you want! Mine day and night until you reach the point where you don't want to do it anymore. It's important that you stop when you reach that point. If you were to continue beyond this point, it would simply become you grinding for levels, and since we're trying to keep it fun as well as productive, we don't want that. :)

The same goes for the other two main gathering skills.

Now, if you enjoy the production skills, which are -

I encourage you once again, to pick your favorite. Let's just say it's Fletching (that's my personal favorite.) Cut those bows! Feather those arrows! Make darts, make bolts, whatever! Just Fletch until, once again, you don't want to do it anymore. Just like with Mining, you don't want it to become a grind fest!

To sum up the skillers section, you basically just want to train what you find the most enjoyable, and only train it until the point where it's no longer fun, you don't want to do it, and it's boring. That will keep you mixing things up, you'll be training various skills as you switch between the skills you want to train on a particular day. Many people will simply call this playing style ineffecient; but efficiency isn't always the most important thing while playing a game. So keep the fun in the game, mix it up, enjoy what you do, don't pass the "I can't do this anymore!" point![/hide]

Now on to

Combat!

Players who enjoy combat, are the types of players that strive to be the strongest, they want to kill the strongest monster the fastest and be the highest level. But then again who doesn't? ;)

Seeing as how all the combat skills (melee based) are so closely related I will not be putting it in a hide tab. Attack, Strength, Defence, and Constituion (Hitpoints) are the basis of combat. Those four skills increase your combat the most out of all eight current combat level raising skills, which are -

• Attack
  • Strength
  • Defence
  • Constitution (Hitpoints)
  • Ranged
  • Magic
  • Summoning
  • Prayer
  • Combat Guide

If you are the type of person who does not enjoy killing the same monster over and over, and lose interest quickly, (which is not what we want!) You might be a fan of the Slayer skill. Slayer is such a massive skill, I will not even attempt to explain it. Simply click on Slayer to be taken to the guide for it, where everything will be explained; but basically, Slayer Masters give you a certain number of an assigned monster to kill, and the master changes the Slayer task after you have killed the required amount and asked for another. Slayer is the way many Runescape members choose to train combat due to it's constant changing, so it keeps things, fun, productive, and interesting!

Fun/Interesting ways to train combat!

Yesterday evening I was a bit tired of Runecrafting, so I decided I wanted to do some clue hunting! So I grabbed my Whip, and some armor and headed down to the Earth Warriors. Earth Warriors are agressive monsters with relatively low life-points and are quite easy to defeat. In about 45 Minutes I managed to accumulate around 30k experience while training on controlled, other than dropping clue scrolls, these monsters also drop the sought after Champion's Challenge! If you're feeling up to it, head on down to the Edgeville Dungeon and try 'em out for yourself!

Another option you have at your disposal to keep things fun while playing, is Activites! There are 32 activites (mini-games) that you can play (this is including both P2P and F2P options.) I'll only focus on the main few that I see people doing often.

I won't bother attempting to say anything that doesn't need to be said, since my good friend Saru has done it already, here's the

link to his fantastic Barrows guide!

Stealing Creation!

I've never played this mini-game/activity, so I won't even bother with this one. ;)

Castle Wars!

Castle Wars pits the good and evil gods (Saradomin and Zamorak respectively) teams against each other in a game of capture the flag. The objective is to have a member of your team make it over to the other teams flag room; the top room in the opposing base which is usually heavily guarded, steal the flag, and make it all the way back to your base, and capture it. All the while you'll be getting bombarded with attacks from every direction, but don't worry! Should you die, you will respawn in your respective spawn room with two minutes to leave and all items in tact! The games last twenty minutes each, and at the end the team with the most captured opponent flags wins! Upon winning you receive two Castle Wars Tickets, which can be traded in for various rewards by speaking with Lanthus in the Castle Wars lobby.

This section will be for things that are fun and you can do with friends!

Revenant Hunting!

With the removal of the Wilderness PK'ing ability, Jagex put a new type of monster in the game - Revenants. These monsters vary in levels from being very low to very high. A word of caution, they're strong, there is a possibility you will die! The monsters have the ability to teleblock and roam around the wilderness and even in the Edgeville dungeon wilderness section, so watch it! I'm told that friends get together and just go out to kill these monsters, so if it's something you'd like to learn more about, as always, link to the guide in the title!

I realize that my guide is quite short right now, but it's my first guide ever and I plan to keep updating it. Whenever I find more interesting ways to train a skill, whether it be combat or non-combat related, it will be added into a special section for it. (The section will be editted in as soon as I can get around to training each skill in a new way.) Other than that, I hope you enjoyed it! And remember, play for fun! Not to grind! :)

If you would like to show your support for this guide, add this to your signature.

[url=http://forum.tip.it/topic/269329-keeping-runescape-enjoyable-productive-and-fun/]Keep Runescape Fun![/url]

Keep Runescape Fun!

[hide=Contributors]

Rawr_im_very_scary - Idea to include mini-games/activites/D&D's.

Ihavedinner247 - Idea to include things you do with friends, such as revanent hunting.[/hide]

So, basically do stuff till you stop finding it fun anymore? lol

Really gotta add minigames to that list...Something I don't do often enough on RS is minigames for my own enjoyment. Particularly FoG and BA. Temple Trekking can also be fun every now and then....

Oh, sorry, activities, not minigames.

And apparently fish flingers is entertaining, I've yet to try that one out.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

So, basically do stuff till you stop finding it fun anymore? lol

Really gotta add minigames to that list...Something I don't do often enough on RS is minigames for my own enjoyment. Particularly FoG and BA. Temple Trekking can also be fun every now and then....

Oh, sorry, activities, not minigames.

And apparently fish flingers is entertaining, I've yet to try that one out.

I'll be sure to add them right away. :) Thanks for the feedback!

Edits # 1 & 2 6/18/2010 : Added links underneath all skills section which takes you to skill guides/combat guides. Also added in 3 Mini-games/Activites

Mini-games/activites credits - rawr_im_very_scary

Jagex considers slayer a combat skill BTW.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

Jagex considers slayer a combat skill BTW.

I mention Slayer, but leveling up your Slayer does not gain you combat levels soley from the skill. Otherwise, certain skillers couldn't do it, as it would grant them combat levels even though they used a lamp, book of knowledge, or some other method of gaining experience. if that makes sense.

possibly add things that involve your friends like rev hunting or some other event?

The once was a mexican called pepsi,

Or maybe it's just he had Hep C,

He was a pretty cool bro,

Bros generally are you know,

He hailed from the land of 'taters,

He was known to hate many-a-hater,

He likes a girl named Lacey,

His thoughts about her are kind of racy,

And also his dad likes to [rooster].

possibly add things that involve your friends like rev hunting or some other event?

I will be sure to do that, thanks for the feedback, you will be credited for it as well. :)

Edits # 4 & 5 6/19/2010 : Added a segment about fun things to do with friends. Also added a support section for people to use a link to the guide in their signature for support.

Thanks to - ihavedinner247. He has been creditted accorrdingly.

You missed the most obvious of them all.

DIFFERENT TRAINING METHODS!

Skilling sure does burn you. Example is smithing. If you want to train smithing but get bored doing Blast Furnace, vary it with Stealing Creations / cannonball smithing / superheating / making items with bars you buy instead of making them yourselve. Heck ,mine some if you want. Every skill has more then 1 way to get you levels. Focus on variation inside a skill

Imo, this guide has minimal useful information other then saying.. don't burn yourself

34eyfbd.jpg9h43sp.jpg16m28ty.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

i also remember while i lost my mems and during f2p i played games with the other people lik tag and hide and go seek or some other kind of player made game lol you think its dumb but wen you got nothing to do in f2p i played those lol

The once was a mexican called pepsi,

Or maybe it's just he had Hep C,

He was a pretty cool bro,

Bros generally are you know,

He hailed from the land of 'taters,

He was known to hate many-a-hater,

He likes a girl named Lacey,

His thoughts about her are kind of racy,

And also his dad likes to [rooster].

There are more mini.. i mean activities than just barrows, stealing creation, castle wars. Add in trouble brewing, and non-combat sc for low level skillers. Also, pest control, soul wars for combat oriented, etc.

Lots of fun activities all around, the three you listed are kinda little :^_^:

Staurolite.png

Not a useful guide.

Stealing Creation!

I've never played this mini-game/activity, so I won't even bother with this one. ;)

At least test out the mini games, if you put it on your FUN combat list.

Pictures would be nice.

I got an idea.

Mobilizing armies

A very fun mini game. So i won't even bother with this one ;)

Sounds like a good idea for a guide, but as Kota said it could use work.

Pictures would be nice, maybe just a location picture and a "main-idea" picture of the activity.

With mobilising armies, saying it is fun is just your opinion. Personally, I don't find it fun. You should describe it so people will know what to expect and whether or not they'll like it.

And for the activities you don't know anything about, just get information about it from other places to describe it.

Eg: Stealing Creation is a fun minigame if you enjoy both combat and skilling. The better skills you have, the higher gear you can make in order to use for combat, or to use for better skilling. If you don't like combat or are a skiller, you can use "non-combat" sc channels such as 'fast sc' (located in w99) that don't allow any thieving or combat whatsoever. The rewards of this activity are items, that when used, double the experience gained in a skill for a certain amount of experience. The skills include melees/mage/range, construction, smithing, woodcutting, crafting, fletching, mining, and hunter. Here's a list of experiences for each tool: Source of Experiences

Hope this turns into a more-filled guide; lots of people are getting bored of RuneScape.

Picture4-2.png 7QKmX.jpg
Jagiella.png