DFS vs Rune Defender

Lemeja

Me and my friends have been debating on which of the two is more efficient for your average Slayer. Which situations would require which shield? Any better alternatives?

Guitar_by_Lemeja123.jpg

How in merlins shaggy beard could +2 str be better then +19 slash? Defender of course.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

would defender still be better on monsters that have literally no defense? Like Living rocks? (I use defender all the time, just always wondered)

Yes.

cgknightofroundsorigina.jpg

99 Hits, Attack, Strength, Defence, Mage, Summoning, Slayer, Ranged, 96/99 Prayer

I use the defender most of the time. I only used to use the dfs on dragons tasks ( no need for that now with super antifires ), and now I use the dfs on nechs tasks cause I'm too lazy to use a unicorn and a yip isn't suffiicient healing without a dfs.

SO if you need the defence bonus then you should use the dfs and if you don't then the defender should be in your left hand.

You need some numbers but all you've been getting are opinions.

People always say, it's just one mans opinion, even if that person is right.

Here are some numbers:

Lets say you're around lv 80 combat, you're str level is 70 all the rest doesn't matters and you're using a dragon scimitar and an amulet of glory to boose your str.

Lets say you'd wear a rune defender, with the defender and the rest worn at 70 str you'll do 154 damage max.

Now lets wear a DFS instead of that defender, you'll see at a low level and a low str bonus it won't increase much in max hit, your max hit will only be 156.

Lets say you're around lv 100 combat with 85 str a whip, a glory ammy, a fighter torso, a slayer mask, barrows gloves and dragon boots.

With that setup and a defender you'll hit 217 max

With a dfs you'll hit only hit 220.

Without checking any further and without making any wild estimated guesses i think at lv 99 str with everything maxed out with a dfs you'd still only do 10 more damage (=1 hit points before update)

So is the +19 (average) attack stat better than 10 damage and all the defences the DFS gives?

I'd say about equal.

But defenitly not worth 30M

I Favor a DFS though, i favor an all around set so i don't need to worry about brining in certain items to certain tasks, which i will most defenitly forget XD.

Every task i use the same suit and a Defender looksso ugly while the DFS looks so smoking sweet!

I've been thinking about selling my DFS though, a lot actually especially since they are rising again now.

But then again, it's nice to have on wyvern tasks and other dragon tasks.

Last words:

If you got 30M, don't buy a DFS but a fury amulet and/or bandos tassets

jupjup.png[~Visit my Slayer Blog~]jup.png

rvedit2.png

Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections.~unknown~

Defender is better, that is pretty much a fact.

DFS would only be better if you have absolutely no alternate healing methods... and even then I would rather bring food lol.

Personally, I use defender for *every* task (other than wyverns). Even on tasks that do a lot of damage I don't even bring a healing familiar - I just rely on soul split.