magic rework

nsadeh

I think it's about time for magic to be completely reworked.

Instead of making it the average combat way, it should be completely different, as the RuneScape lores clearly mention the fact that humans have gained dominance with the dixcovery of runes and magic.

I think combat magic should become far more powerful (especially ancients) with a higher percent of hitting. Combat rune prices should go up - not elemental runes!

non combat runes should drop prices down, and many new non combat spells should be founded, such as cook spell, cut wood spell, start fire spell... these only need half of the necessary respective skill, for the option of training magic non-combat, then using it seldom for combat.

Another option is to make lower-mid level magic like another combat skill, with reduced combat rune prices and small reduction of damage (who could hit and 80 in melee with level 13 strength... it's possible with level 13 mage) and to make the higher spells more powerful and keep the current prices, so the low levels use it in combat while the higher levels use it seldom to change the battle to their side. Anyway there needs to be a higher chance of hitting magic and more non-combat spells, however nothing as useful as the lunar magic as not to render it useless.

Currently the it's too expensive and too weak on high levels.

In order to drop rune prices down, Jagex should do something like an economic stimulus package, which offer something interesting in the boring runs of mining essence and crafting runes, and further rewards for high runecrafting levels.

I hope this isn't too un-organized, so everyone can understand it, and I hope I thought of all the things this could put out of balance.

With the staff of light, arcane necklaces, freezing spells, healing spells, poison spells, cheap equipment, tome of frost, I think magic PvP is fairly balanced.

Magic in PvM, however, is very unbalanced.

can i ask what your magic level is?

[size="5"][font="Georgia"][b]Staking:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#FFFF00"][/color][color="#00FF00"] 4+ mil[/color][/font]
[font="Georgia"][b]Current Status:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#0000FF"] Training defense [/color][/font][/size]

Magic is certainly not weak at low levels. It hits far harder than range or melee.

Only thing that needs to be reworked is high-level f2p magic

low-level f2p and p2p magic is fine and high-level p2p magic is overpowered NOT underpowered

pikatips001.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips002.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips003.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips004.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips005.png1,000 F2P Total Level Reached 10/8/10 !

[hide=Guides]Magic & Summoning Profit Spreadsheets! *UPDATES EVERY HOUR* (includes: High alch, Superheat, and Enchanting)

4 BETTER alternatives to flesh crawlers[/hide]

WOT WOT!

☉.☉☂

Its balanced fine and they would lose a lot of players if they reworked such a skill. I mean think of how negatively the HP-constitution change affected alot of the longtime players and it did little than make some numbers bigger...

I dont see any real bonus to this here. I do agree magic doesn't have its many uses in Pvm but it has many other uses especially non-combat uses, teleporting, making stuff, enchanting, alching, etc. What can you do with range? Shoot stuff pretty much... Melee? Stab stuff... Magic is fine.

Please Visit my Blog!

sig.jpg

- Experienced Monster Hunter - Forced Retirement Staker - Privite Chat is always ON -

1 Draconic Visage 26 Dragon Drops 1 GWD Drops 17 DK Drops 13 Coinshared Items

I agree that magic hits better than other skills in low levels. However, it hits lower on high levels, despite having extra effects. Also there is no compromise for low defense. And the rune prices are very high, making it not profitable to use magic as primary combat level at PvM

Its balanced fine and they would lose a lot of players if they reworked such a skill. I mean think of how negatively the HP-constitution change affected alot of the longtime players and it did little than make some numbers bigger...

That happens in all updates of this type. In my opinion, the more people who complain and leave for stupid reasons such as the Constitution mechanic, the more the community benefits.

Only certain parts of magic need tweaking, most of it is fairly balanced now due to the Dungeoneering necklaces and the Staff of Light, which high level p2p magic really benefits from. If anything it's too weak in high level f2p because the defensive holding spells are inadequate, giving a high level f2p meleer a fighting chance when s/he doesn't deserve it.

PvM isn't too good either because Magic lacks the ammo slot that Range enjoys and Melee doesn't need, as well as the huge guaranteed consumption of runes. I'd like to see some f2p features that let you condense Runes in a more efficient way than Combinations Runes did, but maybe along the same line of thought, as well as the use of the ammo slot.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

I was simply saying a major rework of magic would not go over well. Not with anyone of the right mind. I mean it is stupid how many people got all upset about the hp-constitution change, but imagine if a major change occured to magic.

It's fine, they will always continue to tweak all skills especially combat. It will always be a never ending balancing act. That is all.

Please Visit my Blog!

sig.jpg

- Experienced Monster Hunter - Forced Retirement Staker - Privite Chat is always ON -

1 Draconic Visage 26 Dragon Drops 1 GWD Drops 17 DK Drops 13 Coinshared Items

such as cook spell, cut wood spell, start fire spell... these only need half of the necessary respective skill

I disagree with these, especially the firemaking spell. Would it require logs? Either way, there are already enogh methods (bow & tinderbox are enough) to make a fire with logs.

As for the cooking spell, we have a bake pie spell in the lunar spellbook, a spell allowing you to cook anything (especially with only half the skill requirement) would make the number of sharks, monkfish and the like on the GE increase dramatically-and devalue the cooking skill.

As for the woodcutting spell, it would help inflation, as you'd only need 30 woodcutting to cut some yew logs to fletch into longbows and then high alch.

Superheat Item & the skill boosts/benefits the Lunar Spellbook provides (Bake Pie, Cure Plant, Humidify, Hunter Kit, Superglass Make, String Jewelry, Fertile Soil and Plank Make) are enough non-combat uses of magic. Lets not forget the teleport spells, High Alchemy etc.

I mainly train magic via the circus and from using non-combat spells, and since around level 40 magic, I've found it very easy to train magic. I have no idea of it's power in combat, but it's certainly helpful outside of combat-and shouldn't be any more helpful or devalue skills. If any re-work is needed, it would be for the combat spells, which I cannot comment on.

Runescape Stats:

Dragonmaker9.png

Every stat on highscores!

My website.

If they were to increase the power and cost of magic spells, then the rich would be able to own everyone, magic would be unstoppable Runescape was founded on hidden runes, and rune essence however the human race was founded on rocks and sticks. now we use nuclear bombs. see my connection?

Ian1.png

99 Cooking 27 July 2009

If they were to increase the power and cost of magic spells, then the rich would be able to own everyone, magic would be unstoppable Runescape was founded on hidden runes, and rune essence however the human race was founded on rocks and sticks. now we use nuclear bombs. see my connection?

Nope.

If magic would have some special spells you would for example be able to build a " nuke".. (in most games magic is considered usefull for it's nukability) and someone else with melee build as tank!

Would give so much more actual tactic to runescape other than the everyone for himself paradigm we have now

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.