Help me with a desktop :)

Saru Inc

Sorry, got caught in watching Jay Leno.

Something like this: http://i25.tinypic.com/242j4zs.png

You can also choose two different quad cpu's, ones 70 and the other 120. But if you ain't gonna buy it now, no need to decide. But any option would still be below 800 (monitor excluded).

The gt320 is similar to 4670 which i got, as an example (ok mine is a bit overclocked, but still) i can play Assassins Creed 2 on high settings without lag.

@Solartide... Lol.

You kind of owned yourself in that post, of course you'll be bloody able to upgrade the graphics if you have a computer like that. Or would that computer have a motherboard which is one of a kind without pci-e slots at those specs?

Please understand that people have different needs with their computers and stop trolling.

Is that a good graphics card? ( I say that because I always thought the bigger the size the better. Like 2gb or more?)I'm guessing it can support portal 2? (I'm reallly really looking forward to it) Haha and $600 :o thats it? Wow and i'm guessing a 19-20 inch monitor is what, $150? I don't really like laptops to begin with, hehe. I mean I like I can take it to class etc, but i was planning on getting a desktop from the start.

Thank guys I really do appreciate it.

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

I think we can clarify this here - a computer with integrated graphics does not necessarily suck. For playing games, it will most likely be insufficient.

It is highly unlikely you won't be able to upgrade the video card on a desktop, as most motherboards will have at least one compatible slot.

Sorry saru, I didn't see you answer, are we proceeding on the assumption that you're comfortable building a desktop yourself?

EDIT: Now that I read the post above....amount of memory on a graphics card is important, but not the only important aspect. 1gb + and you're generally doing fine.

Also, the larger a monitor you use (read: higher resolution) the more the strain will be on your graphics card.

For example, I have a ATI Radeon 5770 - that has 1gb memory. By any standard it's a pretty good card, yet on my 24" monitor at 1920x1080 resolution I don't get very good fps while playing COD4 on max graphics, which is a fairly old game. Once I lower the resolution, it becomes quite smooth.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Something like this: http://i25.tinypic.com/242j4zs.png

You can also choose two different quad cpu's, ones 70 and the other 120. But if you ain't gonna buy it now, no need to decide. But any option would still be below 800 (monitor excluded).

The gt320 is similar to 4670 which i got, as an example (ok mine is a bit overclocked, but still) i can play Assassins Creed 2 on high settings without lag.

@Solartide... Lol.

You kind of owned yourself in that post, of course you'll be bloody able to upgrade the graphics if you have a computer like that. Or would that computer have a motherboard which is one of a kind without pci-e slots at those specs?

Please understand that people have different needs with their computers and stop trolling.

Is that a good graphics card? ( I say that because I always thought the bigger the size the better. Like 2gb or more?)I'm guessing it can support portal 2? (I'm reallly really looking forward to it) Haha and $600 :o thats it? Wow and i'm guessing a 19-20 inch monitor is what, $150? I don't really like laptops to begin with, hehe. I mean I like I can take it to class etc, but i was planning on getting a desktop from the start.

Thank guys I really do appreciate it.

Memory size only matters when you're dealing with the resolution. 1gb or more gets usefull when you go from 1680x1050, but more so from 1980x1080 and onwards. It also depends on how fast your graphics card is, 1gb with gt320 wouldn't make much difference since it's too slow. Mine is 512mb, and 1gb wouldn't make it faster... I might enjoy 1-2fps is some cases, but nothing that you'd notice nor need.

Stores play tricks on "average Joe", they usually present something like "blahblah with nvidia 9200... 1GB!!!!!".

I don't know that specs Portal 2 will have, checked their official site and wiki, but said nothing.

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

Oh hehe I knew the specs weren't posted, but I think I saw a video? idk. I'm kinda asking the impossible.

I'm fine with building my own, if it's a cheaper/easier in thee long run option. I just don't want to make the mistake of say getting a computer with one thing being super fast, the other being so so, and just making a mess.

What I might do is buy the hardrive, and let it sit in my room for a few weeks while I save up for the monitor. That way if I see a monitor deal I can jump on it.

And 20 inches is fine for me, my laptop screen is 17inches, (widescreen baby) and all I want is a couple more inches.

But uhhh, one question (well at this moment, I'm sure to have tons more) is it better to maybe get a mediocre hard drive thats fully upgradeable, and just upgrade it one by one? That what I can spread the cost? Cuz I take in about $550-650 per two weeks, with $500 in bills every month, and in august (due to school starting) I have about $500 in extra. Heh.

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)

@Solartide... Lol.

Have you seen the computer?

Apparently the computer he listed has a power supply of 120 watts.

120 watts.

Is this a desktop or a laptop?

If it's a laptop, you aren't gonna be able to upgrade the video card.

Hell, even if you do, the power supply supplies 120 watts! take out the CPU and the HDD, and what power do you have left for the GPU?

If this is a desktop and you CAN replace the parts, now you're laying down 100 for a good power supply, 100 for a budget graphics card, and since we're spending so much replacing [cabbage] we might as well just build the damn thing.

newsigh.jpg

EDIT: Now that I read the post above....amount of memory on a graphics card is important, but not the only important aspect. 1gb + and you're generally doing fine.

Also, the larger a monitor you use (read: higher resolution) the more the strain will be on your graphics card.

For example, I have a ATI Radeon 5770 - that has 1gb memory. By any standard it's a pretty good card, yet on my 24" monitor at 1920x1080 resolution I don't get very good fps while playing COD4 on max graphics, which is a fairly old game. Once I lower the resolution, it becomes quite smooth.

Then you have a problem with either your computer or graphics card. I get very good fps on cod4 max settings at a 1920x1080 resolution on my 22 screen with a Nvidia 9800GT 512MB.

Then you have a problem with either your computer or graphics card. I get very good fps on cod4 max settings at a 1920x1080 resolution on my 22 screen with a Nvidia 9800GT 512MB.

I get decent fps, but it is a bit choppy. I haven't actually looked...but I'd say its probably around 15.

And @saru - I'm assuming by "hard drive" you mean entire pc? It would certainly be possible to buy the parts and have them sitting around for a while.

In terms of building it, there's a good wiki on it, it's not all that complicated of a process.

polvCwJ.gif

When I say hard drive I mean the tower and everything inside it.

Yeah, I think so. I haven't actually checked though. It's only slightly choppy.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I get around 90fps :S. There really might be a problem somewhere on your computer, do you have updated drivers and stuff?

[spoiler=hide]

@Solartide... Lol.

Have you seen the computer?

Apparently the computer he listed has a power supply of 120 watts.

120 watts.

Is this a desktop or a laptop?

If it's a laptop, you aren't gonna be able to upgrade the video card.

Hell, even if you do, the power supply supplies 120 watts! take out the CPU and the HDD, and what power do you have left for the GPU?

If this is a desktop and you CAN replace the parts, now you're laying down 100 for a good power supply, 100 for a budget graphics card, and since we're spending so much replacing [cabbage] we might as well just build the damn thing.

Hm, what are you on about?

You are talking about the computer Saru posted, but qouted my answer to Solartide?

I haven't mentioned anything about the computer that he posted. And all my posts about his computer has been about his laptop, ok?

When I say hard drive I mean the tower and everything inside it.

Ok, I assumed so. How much are you willing to spend on everything, overall? And you do you want new speakers/keyboard/mouse/monitor as well?

@sbrideau - it's possible - I get 70 fps playing wow max graphics - I'm not sure what my fps is on COD4 but I'll check for sure when I get home. I haven't updated the drivers recently so that could be an issue I guess.

polvCwJ.gif

I think max max would be 900 for tower/monitor/keyboard. My mouse is fine, and I may be able to borrow a crappy keyboard from my parents.

Thanks! I'm off my work break... so ill check back in 2.5 hours >.<

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005153

(monitor)

EDIT:

This is like $100 cheaper

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824114002

Thought on this as well? ($130 for monitor + speakers, compared to $170 for just monitor)

How would that work with those products?

And if that is a good set up, then I'm going to slowly by the products. I think I'll buy 1/2/3 items per paycheck. With the monitor being a seperate paycheck.

Is there any order I should buy them? Like could I buy them one by one and put them on one by one? hehe.

But I'm really looking forward to increasing my nerdom on a fully fledge computer, I really dislike laptops. Plus, I work at a computer at work, so my wpm on a regular keyboard is now about 88 wpm last time I tested. However, on this laptop is like... 30wpm. lmao.

Also, I'ma be making a yahoo! questions thread, and scouting ebay as well. But if you know off the top of your heads, is there a market for used laptops like mine? 17 inch screen, physically excellently kept. My dad got it refurbished like june 09 for $500. So I'm thinking $300. Is that way too high?

Also I notice on that case link windows 7 + the casing for $130. I may take advantage of that.

whatttt i'm seeing the $350-$450 range. If thats the case...? Then the computer will be incredible easy to get

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m570.l1313&_nkw=dell+studio+17+used&_sacat=See-All-Categories

mine's refurbished as well, and to be honest it really is in peak condition.

no thats mine atm :P ima sell it for new comp

• 5 months later...

Ok nowI'm really going to look into purchasing this.