Blizzard to require real names for forums

stonewall337

Bad idea. Not sure why Blizzard did that in the first place - but it was stupid.

I think they wanted to capitalize on the popularity of Facebook. But I think they were marketing to the wrong demographic. Facebook is great for sharing stuff with people you already know (at school, family, work, etc).

But pimply gamers who raid for 6 hrs straight like their anonymity, they don't want people to see what they look like, they don't want people to see their frail self behind their internet bully facade. I know it's a generalization but I think we've all heard the players who throw tantrums and call everyone else f** while sounding like they are about 12. The sad thing is some of them are 30 year olds who can't manage their anger. Don't even get me started about guild drama...

I give out my Facebook freely at school...but online? That's like inviting a serial killer to your house (maybe it's different for guys, I dunno).

This really gets down to the morals of cheating versus the morals of being forced to throw away your life [1000's of hours] to access content you enjoy

Isn't life about throwing away your life (a job) to access content you enjoy?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I give out my Facebook freely at school...but online? That's like inviting a serial killer to your house (maybe it's different for guys, I dunno).

thats a good point tbh, i know my gf is actually scared of getting the bus alone just because of the stories of teen girls getting picked up and abused by psyco's - theres even an un-caught guy in our neighbourhood who's repeatedly and unsuccesfully attempted this

personally ive never been able to completely relate to fear like this, ive always been bigger than any threat ive faced since school days - i could care less if some rs geek looked me up and found me irl, but ive also seen how weird and obsessive guys in-game can get around e-girls

our girls dont need another reason to feel scared of stupid [cabbage] eh?

'Rock Hard' boss pure - 60/60 Attack | 99/99 Range | 1/1 Defence | 44/44 Prayer | 99/99 Strength | 99/99 Mage - level 79 combat EOC

## '07 Server ## "Best Runescape update ever: Removing 6 years of updates."

Rock_Hard.png

"Warning: If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all that claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think every thing you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told to want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned- Tyler"

imo runescape will never need this, the forums appear to have enough dedicated moderation, flame wars never go on for that long.

I'd never list my information publicly, unless i took steroids, and was an experienced CQC instructor who wore bullet resistant vests all the time and carried a sidearm he could pin a fly to a barn wall with..(not bitter at my drill instructor, honest) =P

thats a good point tbh, i know my gf is actually scared of getting the bus alone just because of the stories of teen girls getting picked up and abused by psyco's - theres even an un-caught guy in our neighbourhood who's repeatedly and unsuccesfully attempted this

personally ive never been able to completely relate to fear like this, ive always been bigger than any threat ive faced since school days - i could care less if some rs geek looked me up and found me irl, but ive also seen how weird and obsessive guys in-game can get around e-girls

our girls dont need another reason to feel scared of stupid [cabbage] eh?

im a girl but most people that ask for my facebook i have known a bit :P

StarViv.png

gotta love having a very common, unamazing name. ive met 3 other people with THE EXACT SAME NAME as me. not like itd do much to one like mine. sure, any more details and it could be narrowed down, but....welll...if its name only, im safe.

I'm gonna be walking down an alley in varrock, and walka is going to walk up to me in a trench coat and say "psst.. hey man, wanna buy some sara brew"

walka92- retired with 99 in attack, strength, defence, health, magic, ranged, prayer and herblore and 137 combat. some day i may return to claim 138 combat, but alas, that time has not yet come

I think it would be a great thing if Jagex required real names on forum posts - RSOF could use some measure of accountability. If you are embarrassed by the things you say there, perhaps some accountability will make you think twice before posting there. :razz:

I would not want my real name linked to my in-game player name, though. There's too much potential for harassment & abuse.

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

gotta love having a very common, unamazing name. ive met 3 other people with THE EXACT SAME NAME as me. not like itd do much to one like mine. sure, any more details and it could be narrowed down, but....welll...if its name only, im safe.

I'm sure youve told people what country you live in, maybe even city. That could narrow it down.

Even if you didnt, they could see what worlds you regularly go in.

O.O

If we live in a society where we can't even tell people our names...

MAYBE THIS IS AN INDICATION THAT TOO MUCH OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION IS BEING SHARED ONLINE

Seriously...people are like "OMG but if he knows my name then he can look at my facebook and my ____ and ____"......christ, it is just your name. I don't think theres a problem with what Blizz wanted to do. I think theres a problem with how we behave on the Interwebz...

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON