Demoliboy2's Top 25 Videogames You Should Own

Demoli

Oh my, looks like it's my time to make the top25 games list....

Let's start by introducing myself and my tastes then: I was born in the early 90's, and didn't have a really home console until the 64, and even then i rarely played it, since i favoured my old gameboy. I was kinda of innactive during the PS2 era, only to come back when the HD season was about to start.

So, in summary, i have pretty much no nostalgia factor (only 3 games, which you are going to see later on are admitadly biased). I DO lean towards the Nintendo side mind you :thumbup:

Also, I'm posting this today because I will be away this weekend, and i didn't want to drag this into the next week.

So, let's get started shall we?

1. Super Metroid

Super_Metroid_Poster_by_GuruMog.jpg

If someone asked me what the epitome of Videogames is, the one and only answer i would give is Super Metroid.

This game is the perfection of the Videogame formula, it's flawless, or, in other words, Perfect.

But what makes this game stand out as supreme? A whole variety of factors that are still used today to evaluate new products: It has perfect gameplay, blending action, exploration and puzzles flawlessly. It has a story, which is told in a rather peculiar way: it isn't your story, it's the story of the Chozo, who seeked a perfect society and ended up falling beneath their own way. It has mistery, mood and ambience. It has good music, it has good grafics that still hold up to this date. That's what defines Super Metroid: Perfection.

But better than all of this, it has a gigantic world, segmented into various areas. And everytime you play again, it still seems fresh, magical and dangerous. Not to mention the hundreds of secrets this piece of art boasts.

The bosses? Increadible. From the Gigantic Kraid to the airborn Ridley, passing through Draygoon, Phantoon and Crocomire, these battles are completely different from each other, only to culminate on one of the most known final bosses in gaming: Mother Brain. Watching Samus struggle to even put damage on her only to be cornered, and see the last metroid sacrifice itself (if you haven't played Super Metroid by now, you deserve this spoiler) so you can godzilla your way through the planet is an awe inspiring moment, and the conclusion of possibly the greatest game ever made.

If gaming will ever be considered a form of art, Super Metroid should be cimented in front of Mona Lisa in the Louvre

2. Super Mario Galaxy

SuperMarioGalaxy.png

Super Mario Galaxy isn't just a great game. It isn't just an awesome game. It's a game that revitalised one of the oldest genres, perfected it and reimagined.

While i was tempted to put Super Mario 64 instead of Galaxy, Galaxy is still a superior choice. It has perfect jump and running controls, absolutely increadible level design and a lot of power ups to improve on the experience.

But it's the way SMG makes you look into the world that makes it stand out. One second you are 2-D platforming, the other you are swirling around a planet with gravity defying jumps. It's this quality that bring SMG to a whole new level. A smart camera sistem keeps the bad angles minimal.

The boss battles are great, their themes are original, catchy and Epic at the very same time and they all have a good level behind them. The last bowser level stands out because it incorporates everything you have done before.

As for the wii remote inclusion, do not worry, you are not forced with it that much. you need a small waggle to attack, but it's something really minor which after a while you won't notice. Other good inclusions are the ball jiggle levels and the bubble spray levels, not the mention the manta racing, which to me is an homage to Sushine.

Super Mario Galaxy is the perfection of a Formula. Not only that, it's the evolution of it, and the one who single handadly put platformers on their rightfull place: Right up there.

3. Shadow of the Colossus

20060709023957-shadow-of-the-colossus-20050927025333795.jpg

Few were the games during the PS2 era that caught my eye. Two of the most notable ones are ICO and SotC. I really, REALLY hated ICO. It was a boring experience that tried to teach me some kind of deep meaning behind whats happening to the world and war and love and every other cliché.

SotC was different. Why? It was just you and your horse. And you had to take down these gigantic animals/statues. You had a reason, but they didn't tell you what was it.

What did SotC stand out then? The way you kill these beasts. In games like monsters hunter, and every other MMO, you "slash him til he's dead". Gn this game, you had to distract him, find an opening, climb on top of him, find the weakspot, and stab it. It was a puzzle game masked as an action game. And it was awesome.

Suddently, after playing SotC, every single monster in almost all the other games seemed irracional and disfunctional, and your method to kill him innefficient.

Not only that, but it has one of the best hidden secrets ever. Which secrets? Go make yourself a favour and play this game to find them.

4. Portal

20081017_portalyo.jpg

There is something this game has no other game has, but i can't pinpoint it: Is it the controls? Is it the charming yet awkward voice of Glados? The ingenuety of certain rooms? The smooth animations? The Physics? I don't know, i just know Portal is awesome and you know it too, dont lie to yourself.

5. The Leged of Zelda: Wind Waker/Twilight Princess

Wind%20Waker.jpg

imgTwilight%20Princess1.jpg

You knew a Zelda Title would be here, but why 2 and why in the same spot?

Twilight Princess was an Epic adventure, with increadible items, gigantic world, well designed dungeons and good locals, along with good music. The controls could be better and classic controller/ GC controller support would be nice, but they work for their most part. You never do something you didn't want to do.

Yet, Wind Waker still stands out more, not on the gameplay side, but on the story, grafics, music, carachters and overworld. It was a lot more marking, and charming for that matter.

Despite this, no game is superior to the other, they are both amazing, well crafted, amazingly polished games, yet they have different styles and focuses, and still manage to get themselves even.

You know what? Pick your favourite, i can't decide. :angry:

6. Donkey Kong Country

donkey_kong_country.jpg

NOSTALGIA GAME COUNT: 1/3

This is the first game i have notalgic feelings sbout. I played this games for hours and it never lost it's challenge, charm and fun factor.

Every level feels different, yet remotely familiar. Not only that, but both of the main carachters have different attributes: Donkey is a lot more powerfull, can jump on enemies diddy can't and can find ground secrets. Diddy can find wal secrets easier has a longer jump and rolls further.

This made the game balanced and fresh no matter how much time you replay it. And that's why it is in here.

7. GTA: Vice City

gta-vice-city.jpg

NOSTALGIA GAME COUNT: 2/3

I don't like games that take themselves too serious. Unfortunatly, a lot of games tend to be heading that way. I mean, i don't mind games that are serious and acknowledge it, I'm talking about games that are silly and they think they are serious, and end up being the bigger fools.

Vice City was silly. But you know what? It was proud of it. The locals, carachters, missions, secrets, weapons, vehicules and even the cutscenes were straight up pants on head [developmentally delayed]ed. And thats what made Vice City such a magical place. Not gona go too in-depth on the gameplay, since everyone knows how a GTA plays out.

As for the plot, have you seen Scarface? No? Go see it. That or go play Vice City. This leads me to the ammount of easter eggs this city has. every time i enter a new building, it has an easter egg (my favourite are the posters in Phil's caravan.

But why Vice City and not San Andreas? Vice City had colour!

8.Pokemon Gold

gold_version.jpg

NOSTALGIA GAME COUNT 3/3

Many people dismiss pokemon as a kiddies game. Others as a shallow RPG. To those people, i say shut your pie hole.

Yeah, it might be marketed for children, but the ammount of though you must use in order to succeed even at the most basics level of play is amazing. Everyone knows pokemon, so you all know how it is gameplay wise.

But what made the second Gen stand out? Because it had 2 leagues, and gave you the opportunity of watching what happened to the world after the first Gen.

Boasting possibly the best Videogame Final Boss ever, Pokemon Gold was a triumph to all degrees, and a testment to what an RPG can be.

9. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

cvsotn.jpg

Yeah, it was cheesy. Yeah, it borrowed a lot of elements from metroid. But that doesn't mean it's bad. In fact, it's great, and the only game of it's genre that can even compare to Super Metroid.

It looses points on originality, but the ammount of detail this castle has along with the nice twist (see what i did there?) at the end are a testment to what a castlevania title could be, and what it was was a Stellar game.

Why so low? I hate Alucard, the Belmonts are better.

10. Chrono Trigger

059dd_chrono_trigger.jpg

Chrono Trigger is not *a* RPG. It's not *a* story. It's *the* RPG with *the* Story and the best gameplay.

Words cannot describe the progress Square made with this title, and it was, and still is, reolutionary by all standarts.

It is fun, deep, emotional, has nice carachters, and for some reason always reminded my of Dragonball Z.

I have played this game countless times and apparently i haven't seen all the endings. But each time i replay, it's a completely different experience, and games that manage to pull this off are by all means Elite games.

11. Secret of Mana

screen132.jpg

Imagine Final Fantasy and The Legend of Zelda had a baby. They had, and it was Secret of Mana.

Secret of Mana is an inovative title we don't see anymore: it was an action game with heavy RPG elements, and you couldn't just spamm one butten, you needed to know the right place to attack, and if you attacked too repeatedly yur damage would be lesser than a rabite could inflict.

A moving story also helps this title, along with possibly on of the best Final Bosses ever. Why so low? Most of the other bosses are just reskins. Really lazy Square...

12.Earthbound

earthbound1186054013.jpg

This is probably the most OMGWTFBBQ game you will ever see. Go play it, no words can describe it, for better or worst.

13.Final Fantasy 6

final-fantasy-6-advance-02-m.jpg

I remember a time before JRPG's where all about spectacle and glitter. Where gameplay matters, the story is actually goos, it has original carachters and even better music. That time wass the time before FF7.

And the pinnacle of Final Fantasies wasn't that one overhyped title, but the 6 installement. It just flowed better, had way better twists, oddball carachters and the single Best villain in videogame history: Kefka.

That man alone drove FF& to stardom and beyond, and was at the same time a comical and terrifying person. He wasn't a demon or a prince seeking revenge. He was a very bad human being, dressed up as a clown, who poisoned an entire orphanage and destroyed the world just because he woke up one day and decided so.

FF6, along with Chrono Trigger and Secret of Mana, prove that substace beats spectacle any day.

14. Street Fighter 3: Third Strike

StreetFighter3ThirdStrike_b2_screen010.jpg

This game is possible the best fighting game ever. It was goodfor begginers, even better for pro's and had an original roster, only comparable to SF2.

Not only that, but the sprites were crystal clean, and had an increadible design and style that still drives artists mad.

It introduced High jumping and teching to the Street Fighter Franchises, and made for some awesome tournments (don't believe me? youtube "daigo")

But is there a game that challenges SF3 for the fighting game crown?

15. BlazBlue

blazblue2.jpg

Boasting some of the best visuals of this generation (if not THE best), Blazlue is hard on begginers, but the core gameplay it hides runs so smooth it's nearly unbelievable.

The Art in this game is increadible, and it even merges with gameplay like with puppets and transforming pets.

Granted it's now as known as the SF franchise, and it may have buried Guilty Gear forever, but BlazBlue is just FUN, abnd that's why it is here.

16. Megaman 9

mega-man-9-20080811020939831_640w.jpg

Megaman is an household franchise, and a symbol of Capcom. Many claim 2, and in soem instances 3, is the best Megaman. While those were great entries, 9 is the superior one, but for what reasons?

*Good, diversified weapons, all with secodnary uses

*Cheesy story that doesn't take itself too seriously

*Good gameplay and Stellar level design.

And it was one of those games that had, you know, Challenge? Some games just are too serious in taking you by the hand, Megaman 9 takes you by the and and drops you in a pit.

17. TES 3: Morrowind

26f28073c05b262860ff3b983d7661.jpg

Morrowind was a massive adventure. And it was actually an adventure, you know why? It didn't have a map! Instead, you would have to follow certain indications in order to find your way out. And it isn't afraid of killing you.

Many argue that Oblivion is better, I argue Oblivion is easier, and the only thing i want in a TES game is Difficulty, not tutorials and guidelines.

You see, tha whole "no map thing" gave the game a new sense of adventure no other game has ever done before, it made you be lost and wander into your salvation, and thats what made it fun.

18.Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

snakeeater.jpg

You want a stealth game with a mindbending story? Metal Gear Solid 3 is the game for you.

What makes this game stand out though is how you have to interact with the environment, change your camouflage and overall surviving. I also prefer Big Boss to Solid Snake. After all, a clone can't be as good as the original right?

What sold this game? Paradoxes! Yes, you can change the timeline to such a degree you can have a Game Over screen by Killing the bad guy. Awesome!

19.Sid Meyer's Pirates!

sid-meiers-pirates-20050713100358004.jpg

I didn't have good expectations for this game. Thankfully, i was wrong. Pirates! is an increadible pirate sim, and it even has that cheesy story filled with revengeand ugly wives (seriously, o couldn't marry the hot chicks one single time).

It has good marine battles, good swordplay (reminiscent of Punch Out actually), good maps, good villains, good balence and good RTS moements. It IS the Pirates Simulator you should want, and you should play it now.

20. Killer 7

killer_7_wii_500.jpg

This game is the Definition of "Mind[bleep]". Like Earthbound, you must play it to understand it. So what are you waiting for?

21.Tetris

tetris.gif

Tetris is just a fun game. No way around it. It's simple, intuitive, fun, challenging and a symbol of our hobby for many years. Not only that, but it was the cornerstone of the Gameboy's success!

22. Grim Fandango

grim_fandango_manny_calavera.jpg

Without a single drop of doubt, Grim Fandango is the funniest, wittiest, most self-aware game i ever played. Every dialogue is a fun chat, the story is increadible, the gameplay deep and rewarding and the cutscenes funny.

Not to mention the back of the box, seriously, read it.

23. Secret of the Monkey Island

mishot.gif

Another Great, Humourous game is Secret of the Monkey Island. Granted, the sequal was also good, but the first one had that fresh, new feeling, and it capitalised on it to the fullest.

While not on the level of Grim Fandango, Monkey Island is a great, fun game, and you *should* pick every single line of dialogue, if yuo haven't suffocated yet. :thumbup:

24.Resident Evil 4

ResidentEvil4.jpg

Resident evil 4 wasn't just a sequel. It wasn't just a game. It was the reinvention of an entire Genre, and it still reigns supreme. What makes RE4 really stand out is it's story. It has this "Retro 50's horror movies", and it takes full advantages.

Before i was even trying, i started earing lines like "I've sent my right hand to deal with you", "severe consequences will be taken", "whats up comrade" and "I'll introduce you to "it" ". It's this kind of cheesy humour that makes RE4 stand out not just as an horror game, but as a RE4, who have always been silly, but taking it seriously.

That and the infinite rocket launcher.

25. Braid

braid2.jpg

There is no denying the geniality of Braid. Everyone knows how it plays, the time changing mechanics and the environments, but it's the small quirky things like the flag pole at the end of the level, the little heads as enemies, the menacing plants poping out of the pipes and the super jump that ciment this as an all time classic.

Many titles know their roots, but try to deny it, well Braid pays homage to them, and i wouldn't have it any other way :thumbup:

Well, this is my list, feel free to share your opinions and changes you would make :mrgreen:

Interesting list. One thing I felt the need to point out though:

Many titles know their roots, but try to deny it, well Braid pays homage to them, and i wouldn't have it any other way

Braid doesn't have those things in the game to pay homage to them. It's more-so just something to say about the state of the game industry.

Many titles know their roots, but try to deny it, well Braid pays homage to them, and i wouldn't have it any other way

Braid doesn't have those things in the game to pay homage to them. It's more-so just something to say about the state of the game industry.

Mm, nice point of view, i still digress, but that could be an interesting topic to discuss :thumbup:

Donkey Kong Country is so addicting. I only beat it once with my girlfriend, but it's definitely a game I could replay a few times. I also agree about FF6. I loved how the Espers worked in that game.

A list i like :P

i played almost all of the games on your list, minus a few (pokemon, killer 7)

:thumbup:

You absolutely must play Killer 7, oreven No More Heroes for that matter, it's realy something out of this world.

TETRIS! :mrgreen:

One comment though. Morrowind didn't have a map? It was a page between the inventory and spell list on the consoles, and as a part of that whole set of pages on the PC. Plus, the game came with an actual foldout map that had a lot of the locations filled out, including Daedric/Dwemer ruins.

TETRIS! :mrgreen:

One comment though. Morrowind didn't have a map? It was a page between the inventory and spell list on the consoles, and as a part of that whole set of pages on the PC. Plus, the game came with an actual foldout map that had a lot of the locations filled out, including Daedric/Dwemer ruins.

I actually spent the entire night installing morrowind to confirm that. All i can say is wow, i cant believe i played a 50 hour game and missed that, i'm astonished O.O

• 2 weeks later...

Shadow of the Colossus is very underrated imo. That game was great on so many levels. Although when I tried to replay it it wasn't quite as epic because the first colossi are so easy compared to the last few, and you already know how to beat them. A lot of the games on this list are great and some of my favorites but just wanted to throw that one out there.

No_Foo.png

Oh thats right, its Runescape. We dont play skills to have fun. We do it to sit in a bank and grind away, seeing who can do it the longest.

If you include Super Mario Galaxy in that list, then there is no reason not to include its sequel.

A much better variety, more gimmicks, and is actually challenging (looking at you green stars). And YOSHIIIIII!!!!!

Otherwise, nice list, though I haven't actually played most of those. :P

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

If you include Super Mario Galaxy in that list, then there is no reason not to include its sequel.

A much better variety, more gimmicks, and is actually challenging (looking at you green stars). And YOSHIIIIII!!!!!

Otherwise, nice list, though I haven't actually played most of those. :P

Galaxy 2 borrowed waaaaaaaaaaay to much from previous games, Galaxy 1 just felt fresher, more original, and overall better. This doesn't not mean Galaxy 2 is a bad game, but it was disapointing to me.

Galaxy 2 borrowed waaaaaaaaaaay to much from previous games, Galaxy 1 just felt fresher, more original, and overall better. This doesn't not mean Galaxy 2 is a bad game, but it was disapointing to me.

Really? I didn't feel that it borrowed so much from the previous. In fact, lots of new ideas were used here (cloud/rock mushroom, musical beats in stages, Yoshi and his fruits). And I can switch to Luigi anytime too. :thumbup:

Galaxy 1 emphasizes on purple coin comets WAAAAAAY too much. Not that it's a bad thing, but on many stages it wasn't necessary especially the exploration ones.

And there's no reason you shouldn't ignore this:

and is actually challenging (looking at you green stars).

But of course this is your opinion, so if you don't like what Galaxy 2 did, so be it. :D

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

But there you go. In every single galaxy (or most of them), you would find something based completely of older games. Specially music, which is one aspect i actually take in big consideration. Only a couple of new songs really stuck in my head.

There are entire levels dedicated to Mario 64, Mario world, Mario sunshine and so on.

Can't argue with the rock and cloud outfits, but it misses the flying star and ice flower galaxy 1 had, which were the best power ups. Yoshi in itself is from SM world and the blimp fruit is reminiscent of Yoshi+cape from wrld. The pepper and the yellow fruit are new and credit is given, specially to the pepper.

If Galaxy 1 enphasizes on purple coins, Galaxy2 is on green stars. Nothing was a bigger punch in the nuts than completing the game, only to be awarded with more 120 hidden stars, which were terribly easy to find from my experience, without anything enw to them.

Oh wait, there was a bigger punch in the nuts. Completing all the 240 stars only to find out the last reward was Rosaline with one single line. Couldn't they have shanged the comet to the observatory or something?

Also, I will once again say Galaxy's 1 level design was better, mor polished, and overall, more original.

Adressing difficulty, being hard shouldn't be a good atribute. Thats my main gripe with Demon's Soul. The game is hard but it's not a fair challenge like Super Metroid, Galaxy 1, and Castlevania 4. It's like castlevania 1&3 where you are given pretty much no chance. In DS, it's the checkpoints. they exist in other games for a reason.

That being said, i still think the green stars weren't that hard.

So yeah, Galaxy2 is far far far far far far far from being a bad game, it's an excelent game in fact. But it borrows so much it isn't even funny, at least to me.

One small note: On the list i frogot to add some things, the honourable mentions that were excluded because of the franchise, since i obeyed the "1per franchise rule". These include Super Mario world, Zelda Link to the past and Metroid prime trilogy, aswell as monkey island 2, oblivion and Pokemon fire red.

Adressing difficulty, being hard shouldn't be a good atribute. Thats my main gripe with Demon's Soul. The game is hard but it's not a fair challenge like Super Metroid, Galaxy 1, and Castlevania 4. It's like castlevania 1&3 where you are given pretty much no chance. In DS, it's the checkpoints. they exist in other games for a reason.

Demon souls is plenty fair.