Should skillcapes give extra bonusses?

w0odspriteV2

I think the advent of soul wars capes has made characters look less unique

I liked it better when achievement capes were the best, because then you could show off.

I don't recall that time, could you remind us all when that was?

Obviously, skill capes have never been about their stats, but rather looks and...achievement.

Pre-ardougne cape. They were a close second to Fire capes for their prayer bonus. And the best option for those unable to do the fight cave.

Well in reality, a skill cape has never been the best cape and that's what i'm pointing out. It's stats used to be better than they are now, but even before them, god capes gave +3 prayer bonus, so there was never really any reason to specifically max out 2 skills.

Some people do crazy things for a +1 stat advantage :P

whatisrush-1.png

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

FlowerPower.png

However, I do agree with xpx (I think he said this) that 120 capes should have good stats and some sort of ability. I'm surprised the 120 DG cape doesn't.

120 capes would be even worse to give extra abilities to, because then people would feel obligated to "go for" them, and that's an unhealthy paradigm for Jagex to support.

That's what I think about 99 capes, but I think giving abilities to 120 capes would be okay due to the sheer time and effort it takes to get them. I don't think many people will look at 104M exp and think, "yeah, that's worth this or that ability." As long as the abilities in question aren't so good that they'd give a significant advantage to anyone who had them, I don't think the general RS population would bother unless it's something that they would've done anyway.

I'm thinking the difference between the hard and elite Ardougne diaries. The advantage of completing the elite diary is so small that not many people feel that it's absolutely necessary to do it. It's convenient to do so, yes, but not necessary. See what I mean?

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

Some people get so sensitive over the thought of anything making anything else easier. Something I will never understand. In the history of real world technology, we have always been advancing and making daily tasks easier to complete with less work. Is a game really any different? I for one don't miss the days of classic where everything was painstaking to train and was even more a grind than it is now.

So how would adding a miniscule bonus to an achievement cape to revive it's usefulness break the game? I don't think the author's suggesting the Prayer Cape, for example, would fully restore your prayer every hour...or that the Runecrafting Cape would double the production of runes you create. No, he's just saying a little added flavor to the cape would mean more people would wear their capes, especially while doing the activity the cape is specialized for. I think it would be nice to see people wearing their cooking capes while cooking and their slayer capes while on slayer tasks. Small bonuses such as a 5% chance to cut two bows in the time it would take to cut one while wearing your fletching cape, or a 5% chance to not use a dose of your potion while wearing an herblore cape. Something small and fun that would actually make you think twice about wearing your soul wars or fire capes over your achievement capes.

It's not like we're saying you should go and kill puppies.

archsupportei2.png

outsanitysig1jc0.png

|2,300+ Total|138 Combat|12 Lvl 99 Skills|99 Slayer|blogbutton.png

However, I do agree with xpx (I think he said this) that 120 capes should have good stats and some sort of ability. I'm surprised the 120 DG cape doesn't.

120 capes would be even worse to give extra abilities to, because then people would feel obligated to "go for" them, and that's an unhealthy paradigm for Jagex to support.

That's what I think about 99 capes, but I think giving abilities to 120 capes would be okay due to the sheer time and effort it takes to get them. I don't think many people will look at 104M exp and think, "yeah, that's worth this or that ability." As long as the abilities in question aren't so good that they'd give a significant advantage to anyone who had them, I don't think the general RS population would bother unless it's something that they would've done anyway.

I'm thinking the difference between the hard and elite Ardougne diaries. The advantage of completing the elite diary is so small that not many people feel that it's absolutely necessary to do it. It's convenient to do so, yes, but not necessary. See what I mean?

Sure, there's a potential payoff if it's done right (as the Ardougne elite cape was), but there's also a significant potential downside if it turns out wrong. And since the current system is perfectly fine, there's no real reason to tread that line. Better to focus on the content for the skill itself.

Some people get so sensitive over the thought of anything making anything else easier. Something I will never understand. In the history of real world technology, we have always been advancing and making daily tasks easier to complete with less work. Is a game really any different? I for one don't miss the days of classic where everything was painstaking to train and was even more a grind than it is now.

So how would adding a miniscule bonus to an achievement cape to revive it's usefulness break the game? I don't think the author's suggesting the Prayer Cape, for example, would fully restore your prayer every hour...or that the Runecrafting Cape would double the production of runes you create. No, he's just saying a little added flavor to the cape would mean more people would wear their capes, especially while doing the activity the cape is specialized for. I think it would be nice to see people wearing their cooking capes while cooking and their slayer capes while on slayer tasks. Small bonuses such as a 5% chance to cut two bows in the time it would take to cut one while wearing your fletching cape, or a 5% chance to not use a dose of your potion while wearing an herblore cape. Something small and fun that would actually make you think twice about wearing your soul wars or fire capes over your achievement capes.

It's not like we're saying you should go and kill puppies.

Indeed, well written too

2d0f03c.png

I always thought Jagex needed to do this right from the beginning. Some examples for 99 slayer off the top of my head:

- ability to favourite a task to receive it more often

- more ignore slots

- access to a slayer dungeon all to yourself

- 5% attack and strength bonus while killing any slayer monster

Jagex also need animated 99 skillcapes e.g.

Slayer cape made of curved bones with a large animal skull in the middle. Occasionally the eyes glow

Crafting cape made of sparkling gems

Firemaking cape engulfed in animated flames

Fishing cape made of flowing water with jumping fish

Woodcut cape made of leaves with birds popping in and out

Agility cape made of rocks. Rocks occasionally fall off the cape

Farming cape made of vines which interweave occasionally, as if they're alive, competing to reach the bottom of the cape

2vuhgcn.png

Slayer cape made of curved bones with a large animal skull in the middle. Occasionally the eyes glow

Crafting cape made of sparkling gems

Firemaking cape engulfed in animated flames

Fishing cape made of flowing water with jumping fish

Woodcut cape made of leaves with birds popping in and out

Agility cape made of rocks. Rocks occasionally fall off the cape

Farming cape made of vines which interweave occasionally, as if they're alive, competing to reach the bottom of the cape

Okay, ha, that would be really cool.

Why would the agility cape be rocks, though? I don't get that one.

When I think of agility I think of pillars and rocks crumbling, when people miss a pillar for example. Though it could be mistaken for a mining cape, so yeah, would probably need changing =l

2vuhgcn.png

When I think of agility I think of pillars and rocks crumbling, when people miss a pillar for example. Though it could be mistaken for a mining cape, so yeah, would probably need changing =l

My thought would be to give it a sort of "Wind" kind of animation as a metaphor for fastness.

But we digress.

My thought would be to give it a sort of "Wind" kind of animation as a metaphor for fastness.

But we digress.

Maybe like a geyser titan animation? That would definitely work :D Powerful jets of air going down the cape, yes :D

2vuhgcn.png

No, they are mostly meant for showing off and not very hard to get. If there were capes for 120, then yes, it'd be justified(just as 120 dung cape should give atleast some bonuses) of if there would be some bonus stats for having 10/20 or 25 capes, otherwise it's justified that sw/fire and ardy capes are better than skill capes.

This. Before ardy cape, and SW cape I would have said so, since the only real alternatives were fire cape and ava's accumultor, as well as god cloaks. Back then I thought things like cooking cape has a 5% chance to cook 2 items at once, same for fletch/craft etc, STR has a chance to hit 3% higher, etc, but now the main use for 99 capes are for cheap defense in pvp/dangerous areas, or to show off.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]