Tavern IRC Channel

Cowman_133

Hey guys,

A topic was created here not long ago with an advertisement to an unofficial Tavern chat intended for taverners. There was mixed feedback but I want to get your opinions on creating an official tavern chat? The official chat would be monitored primarily by IRC staff mainly for people breaking server rules (mass spamming, malicious content, etc.) and not so much for tavern-related stuff. Typically IRC channels are fairly laid back.

If the channel is official we can create a sticky advertising it and ensure it is being run fairly and properly, whereas an unofficial channel cannot be advertised on the forums. I'd personally push to have an official channel there for use as needed and so new people to the forums can come in and get to know people and whatnot. This is a public board after all. :)

Let me know what you think - would you use the new official channel or not?

DK

1.png
generic_signature.png

I say that we stay unofficial, the only difference between being official and unofficial is that we can create an advertisment thread.

If we stay unofficial we don't have to be subject to staff ruling, basically if we were unofficial admins couldn't intervene with whatever we say and we would only be subjected to our own rules (which we can create ourself)

I think its a lot better if we just keep it unofficial, we have everything we need on the unofficial one, we have runescript, beerbot and freedom.

[Falador tavern]

No. [Re: Would I use it]

But I have nothing against it as long as we are still allowed to create seperate channels if we ever need them(Playing more than one game at a time could get confusing :grin: )

Well I knew you wouldn't agree. I know how you hate facing facts.

I say that we stay unofficial, the only difference between being official and unofficial is that we can create an advertisment thread.

If we stay unofficial we don't have to be subject to staff ruling, basically if we were unofficial admins couldn't intervene with whatever we say and we would only be subjected to our own rules (which we can create ourself)

I think its a lot better if we just keep it unofficial, we have everything we need on the unofficial one, we have runescript, beerbot and freedom.

I feel you're taking this a little harshly. The staff wouldn't necessarily be 'intervening' with you guys - it would just be to keep the channel pleasant and free of spammers (possibly unrelated to chat) and to keep a more round-the-clock availability. It is also worth noting that if it is unofficial some people may oppose to who has the overall power and control of the channel.

No.

But I have nothing against it as long as we are still allowed to create seperate channels if we ever need them(Playing more than one game at a time could get confusing :grin: )

Yup you can always join a temporary channel as needed or we could even make several official channels if desired.

1.png
generic_signature.png

Fairly apathetic on the matter, to be honest.

I don't really use IRC as it is, so it doesn't impact me in any big way whether it is created or not.

Although more advertisment would be nice, it isn't like we're starved for company.

2Xeo5.png

Why is everyone so surprised that the people who moderate the forum are moderating the forum?

Knee jerk reaction. Admin do something and people instinctively don't like it.

Two reasons:

1) Historically bad things happen when ANYONE does ANYTHING

2) Hegemony has bred a culture of 'This seems reasonable....BUT IF THEY THEN DID THIS

THEN WE ARE ALL DOOOOOOOOMED!!!!!!!

Well I knew you wouldn't agree. I know how you hate facing facts.

And the IRC server rules, which the IRC staff will police.

And the IRC server rules, which the IRC staff will police.

My link

But I take back my opinion as long as an admin mods.

[Falador tavern]

I really don't mind either way for this, we can always have the official channel, then use unofficial channels if they're needed for specific games and all.

flobotst.jpg

Hegemony-Spain

Yeah, I definitely support this. Hell, I can even be on it a lot in order to help moderate it/keep the activity up. My game client for HnH has an IRC interface built within it, so I can always be in the IRC while playing the game.

I think I registered #tavern a while back, but inactivity has most likely made it available again.

And I really don't care who moderates it so long as that person doesn't have an account with SomethingAwful. From my experience, they tend to be a little corrupt (hell, very corrupt) and act like jerks.

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

Never going to use it. Doesn't interest me insomuch as a quick dip on the trot...

FaladorTavern.png

Youtube account: Earthgragonsage; currently uploading not an effing thing.

[hide=Memorable Crossroads Quotes.]

Reigan: NO MOOSE CAN SAVE US NOW; ...Had that been taken out of context, it would have been comical... Right now, it's terrifying.

[/hide]

Like the idea very much. I'd probs use it, and it might help people who might come here be less intimidated by the Tavern

10:53 PM - retech9691: I feel the need
10:53 PM - retech9691: To include many chasms in my story arc
10:53 PM - Resistance: You mean plotholes?

Remember, Remember, the 4th of November

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Not going to use the chat. Quick dip on the trot meaning a really quick look.

FaladorTavern.png

Youtube account: Earthgragonsage; currently uploading not an effing thing.

[hide=Memorable Crossroads Quotes.]

Reigan: NO MOOSE CAN SAVE US NOW; ...Had that been taken out of context, it would have been comical... Right now, it's terrifying.

[/hide]

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Cowman. :thumbup:

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

Former moderator of the original Dungeoneering

Former moderator of Ye Olde Hegemony

Moderator of the remake of Dungeoneering

Former Empress of the Lichten Empire (Hegemony)

Former President of the United States (Hegemony)

Former Emporer of Imperial Japan (Hegemony)

Czarina Catherine of Imperial Russia (Hegemony

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.