The future of RuneScape?

Sharper

What is the future of RuneScape?

Jagex has statement for quite a number of years that they plan to release a brand new game. This new game would obviously be their flag ship game. So what is to become of RuneScape?

We can expect to see a brand new game from Jagex within 5 years, as they grow and grow as a company and obtain the resources to do so. At the moment I feel RuneScape is still held back because of direct hand Andrew Gower has on the game coding. I believe he does all the coding himself if not has the last say in what happens.

I direct you to Jagex's corporate website.

We intend to become a significant online operator in all the major gaming markets worldwide; developing and commercializing highly compelling persistent character games that appeal to as wide an audience as possible, based on cutting edge technologies developed in house.

Our ambition for 2005 is to exceed 400,000 subscribers for RuneScape, to take RuneScape into other non-english language markets and to begin the development of a completely new game.

Ok the reason I state "without 5 years" is because Jagex is really still a small and not very effective games developer. They can't keep deadlines and the fact that they had ambitions to move RuneScape into the non-english language market and begin development of a completely new game (both which I have seen no evidence of) shows that they haven't got their timeline of the company completely worked out right yet.

Now that RuneScape is one of the top 5 played games in the online multiplayer world I can see a couple of things happening. Someone buys out Jagex and trys to market the RuneScape style game into a brand new game. Jagex do indeed develop a brand new MMORPG and release it in the next 5 years. Probably a game that is still run through, *gasp*, a Java applet. Or perhaps Jagex will release RuneScape as something like RS3 with again a major step between releases (like RSC was to RS2).

Personally I hope it is the latter, with greater improvements to the gameplay of the current game, to keep the same audience but invite new players from other gaming styles into have a look :)

What are your thoughts?

What is the future of RuneScape?

Jagex has statement for quite a number of years that they plan to release a brand new game. This new game would obviously be their flag ship game. So what is to become of RuneScape?

We can expect to see a brand new game from Jagex within 5 years, as they grow and grow as a company and obtain the resources to do so. At the moment I feel RuneScape is still held back because of direct hand Andrew Gower has on the game coding. I believe he does all the coding himself if not has the last say in what happens.

I direct you to Jagex's corporate website.

We intend to become a significant online operator in all the major gaming markets worldwide; developing and commercializing highly compelling persistent character games that appeal to as wide an audience as possible, based on cutting edge technologies developed in house.

Our ambition for 2005 is to exceed 400,000 subscribers for RuneScape, to take RuneScape into other non-english language markets and to begin the development of a completely new game.

Ok the reason I state "without 5 years" is because Jagex is really still a small and not very effective games developer. They can't keep deadlines and the fact that they had ambitions to move RuneScape into the non-english language market and begin development of a completely new game (both which I have seen no evidence of) shows that they haven't got their timeline of the company completely worked out right yet.

Now that RuneScape is one of the top 5 played games in the online multiplayer world I can see a couple of things happening. Someone buys out Jagex and trys to market the RuneScape style game into a brand new game. Jagex do indeed develop a brand new MMORPG and release it in the next 5 years. Probably a game that is still run through, *gasp*, a Java applet. Or perhaps Jagex will release RuneScape as something like RS3 with again a major step between releases (like RSC was to RS2).

Personally I hope it is the latter, with greater improvements to the gameplay of the current game, to keep the same audience but invite new players from other gaming styles into have a look :)

What are your thoughts?

Very intelligent and well though out post, voiced your opinion well.

My thoughts on the matter? Well, I think they should just keep RuneScape 2, and update it. But not too much. If they were to make a new game, they should still have a team devoted to bringing RuneScape Players the best updates they could possibly expect.

jagex will go on the ps3 i no that 4 sure thats y there ask for empoys for if they have any back round with ps2 xbox game cube there going to put it on ps3 and xbox360 :D but xbox360 will die to ps3 3 weeks after ps3 comes out :D

Why would they put RuneScape on any game console whatsoever?? It is a mass multiplayer game not a "who can spend money on Xbox 360 or PS3" multiplayer game.

My thoughts on first post:

I think you're definitely right about not being able to keep deadlines and so I doubt we'll see any of their goals coming to life any time soon. I think they'll simply continue adding to RS2 and maybe do a few background projects over the next few years (like they did with RS2 while Classic was still out)

saidinwotsmall2zo.jpg

Add your blog to the BlogScape Index!

SaidinWoT can now be tracked easily on weekends - Erm, maybe when I start playing again.

Levels do not measure intelligence OR maturity.

They can't keep deadlines, I completely agree with that.. :) Notice how they passed their submission goal of 400K by 100K though? They grew faster then they planned to :).

I hope they will make a rs3-type of game. Basically a new map etc, some new / other skills, other enhancements to the game play and maybe a different time-setting? Perhaps futuristic instead?

RuneScape still has several years to live and flourish.. I think it's player base won't go down until a next generation mmorpgs with better gameplay comes.

but xbox360 will die to ps3 3 weeks after ps3 comes out :D

lol that's one of the funniest things I've read in a while...

But back on-topic: I think Jagex would be silly to just abandon Runescape for a new game - with so many members currently playing which they've worked for so many years to attract. More likely they will allow Runescape to evolve just like Runescape Classic did as it was upgraded to Runescape 2. Runescape 3 is still a good 2 or 3 years away in my opinion, but I could definitely see it coming.

~Ian

newsig4ty.jpg

Retired Tip It Moderator | Zybez Radio DJ - Listen Here

What is the future of RuneScape??

Down the toilet...through the drains...through the sewers...into the dump...into the hands of a novice game developer...and tada! you get runescape 3. but on second thought runescape just might take over the world...and make rs3 a reality! When i say reality as in turning the world into RS3?!?!?!?! OMG OMG OMG!!!!! *runs off and begins planning for counter attack*

Sup noobs.

Virtual Reality Runescape? Lol, nice thought, but too bad it won't happen in the near future. I would like it to though...

Incidentally, if you can feel pain in VR Runescape, how many people will still want to play? I know I will still. =P

They won't do that of course (for legal, commercial and ethical reasons), but what if?

Why do you resist? My experiments are only helping humanity push the boundaries of the Art of Toxicology... you should be proud to be one of my victims.

~Toxicologist~