IV. New Buttons

V. Collapsible Categories

VI. Categorizing Friends

VII. Pre-Set Categories

VIII. Ignore List

IX. Pics

X. Updates

II. Prologue

I am mainly looking for supporters, but questions, comments, and suggestions are great, too.

III. Summery

Ok, so my idea is to have a categorization of the friends list. This would allow the nice and the social people to keep better track of all their friends. This could also help indirectly for clans, as you could have a category for your clan members.

IV. New Buttons

In my idea, the friends list would have two new buttons, below the "Add Friend" and the "Del Friend," named "Add Group" and "Del Group." These buttons would be used to add or delete a category in the list of your friends. They would ask you for a name, and would create/destroy the group with the corresponding name. If you were to destroy a group, the friends in that group would be sent back to the "General" group. Also, you cannot destroy the "General" group.

V. Collapsible Categories

Also, there could be arrows at the right of each group name that would be used to show/hide that group for better viewing of your friends (see pic below). So you could hide some groups to make it easier for you to find the friend you are looking for.

Update 12-12-2005 at 1:49 AM Forum Time: The arrows could also be colored to show if any friends in that group are online. If at least 1 person is online in that group, the arrow will show up green. If no one in the group the arrow belongs to is online, the arrow will show up red.

VI. Categorizing Friends

In order to assign a friend to a group, there should be new right-click options when right-clicking on one of your friends. These would be called "Move To {group name here}". There would be one of these options for each group you have. Then, when you click on this option, the friend you have right-clicked on shall be moved to that group. Also, when you add a new friend, there should be an option of which group to assign the new friend.

VII. Pre-Set Categories

There should, of course, be some pre-set catigories like "Family", "Friends", "Buddies", "Buyers", "Sellers", and maybe even "Clan Members". (There would also be the "General" catigory which is always there)

VIII. Ignore List

This whole idea should be implemented for the Ignore list, too. Same exact thing, but with pre-set catigories like "Annoying" and "Rude".

IX. Pics

friendsblocked3.png The Friends List with this idea implemented.

friendsrightclick.png An image of the right-click menu of a friend on the Friends List. (thanks Bayney!)

suggestionsthing25ez.png An image of the right-click menu of a group on the Friends List. (thanks Bayney!)

X. Updates

Update 12-12-2005 at 1:49 AM Forum Time: The arrows could also be colored to show if any friends in that group are online. If at least 1 person is online in that group, the arrow will show up green. If no one in the group the arrow belongs to is online, the arrow will show up red. Picture(s) also updated.

Update 12-12-2005 at 4:31 PM Forum Time: Added another picture in the Pics section displaying the right-click menu of a friend on the Friends List. (thanks Bayney!)

Update 12-17-2005 at 12:13 AM Forum Time: Added another picture in the Pics section displaying the right-click menu of a group on the Friends List. (thanks Bayney!)

Well people have been pestering JAGeX for a seperate clan list for a long time, and I personally think it shouldn't be a part of the friend's list.

Catergorisation? What, like blondes, Asians, airheads, pea-brains? Yes, I know, not funny.

I don't see any point in this though.

Why do you resist? My experiments are only helping humanity push the boundaries of the Art of Toxicology... you should be proud to be one of my victims.

~Toxicologist~

Toxicologist, there are a bunch of people, including me, who are nice and make lost of friends. I have so many, most of them I don't remember who they are.

This idea would have catigories like Family, Friends, Buddy's, Buyers, Sellers and maybe more. Plus, you could add your own categories, like I may want a category for all the people I meet in Castle Wars and make friends with.

If this suggestion is ever put into the game, I would find it much easier to remember who all my friends are

Please read the posts. I know there are people out there who aren't very social, but me and a whole bunch of other people on runescape make lots of friends, and I know I can't keep track of them all. There would be catigorys like "Family", "Friends", "Buddys", "Buyers", "Sellers", "Clan Members", and you could add custom categories like I would add "CW buddys".

I would put my family in "Family", my close friends in "Friends", my not-so-close friends in "Buddys", And of course my buyers, sellers, and clan members in "Buyers", "Sellers", and "Clan Members", respectively. Then I would add the "CW Friends" category, and put the friends I meet in Castle Wars in there.

i think runescape needs a proper clan system. not just a friends list category. its still amazing after all this time something as fundamental to mmorpgs as an integrated clan system is still missing from a popular game such as runescape

by the way, the idea is nice, but to me its more practical to just prune your list once in a while. i dont even like keeping my entire clan on my list. if i trade with someone i remove their name after the trade is over most of the time. but i support your idea as it will definitely be an improvement

Are you a member with a full bank and cancelling your subscription? Are you an F2P player that wants more bank space? Check out my guide on Going to F2P with a full bank

all it nees is one more thing, a business category so you can put the ppl you trade and sell stuff to

*sigh* Hmm, could you mean somthing like, oh I don't know, the "Buyers" and "Sellers" categories listed under the "Pre-Set Categories" section?

But thanks for your support.

all it nees is one more thing, a business category so you can put the ppl you trade and sell stuff to

*sigh* Hmm, could you mean somthing like, oh I don't know, the "Buyers" and "Sellers" categories listed under the "Pre-Set Categories" section?

But thanks for your support.

lol....well, I suppose maybe I should've read a few more of the posts before I posted :oops: still, it is not such a bad idea, and yes, I am quite social :P

Hmmm.... Interesting. I support this idea.

How about some more in Ignore? Like categorizing it and keep tracking of them if s/he's on the same server as you, else nothing will appear.

And I would like a real clan list as well.

[Admin Edit: Innapropriate Text in sig removed]

I can remember all the active people in my friends list, who they are and in what circumstances have I met them, etc. I also regularly purge my list of people who have being inactive for too long, thus my friends list is rarely over one or two pages long.

Clan system and clan chat is great, but catergorisation really isn't that neccessary. That is in my opinion though.

Why do you resist? My experiments are only helping humanity push the boundaries of the Art of Toxicology... you should be proud to be one of my victims.

~Toxicologist~

nice idea (too bad for me, i have like 3 frends on list)

but there is alreeady a kind of catergorisation: online people on top and same world all on top

that doesnt sort them by the relationship you have with them, which is what the thread is about.

the list sorts the offline people by the order you added them, so your "oldest" friends will be at the top, unless you delete them and then add them back. you could "sort" your list this way, but its very tedious

whot would be nice is if you could drag and drop your friends list names around to reorder them, like the way you can with your bank items. that would be very helpful, and a step closer to this idea

Are you a member with a full bank and cancelling your subscription? Are you an F2P player that wants more bank space? Check out my guide on Going to F2P with a full bank