Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What book are you currently reading?

• Please log in to reply
1097 replies to this topic

tripsis
[ Display Name History ]

tripsis

The Fuzz

• Administrators
  • 21,534 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Tripsis
Currently reading The Ward by Jordana Frankel. So far it's pretty good. I adore the cover. How creepy that the cover was revealed just as Hurricane Sandy was starting!

Posted Image
Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -
- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

MPM
[ Display Name History ]

MPM

Retired Crew Leader

• Members
  • 2,847 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:MPM

I haven't heard of We, but I've heard of all of the others and have read Brave New World. Too many choices!

Did you read Brave New World or Brave New WorldS?
The second is the anthology I mentioned. It's really good and contains short stories such as "The Lottery".

~M

Guest_Rob_
[ Display Name History ]

Guest_Rob_
  • Guests

nateappleby
[ Display Name History ]

nateappleby

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
  • RSN:Accia
  • RSN2:Crazy Nine
Currently reading:
Before the Frost by Henning Mankell

Posted Image

Splendid mystery, I would greatly suggest.

Runecrafting | Cooking | Firemaking

writer | musician | scholar

tripsis
[ Display Name History ]

tripsis

The Fuzz

• Administrators
  • 21,534 posts
I'm reading Parallel by Lauren Miller. Parallel universes FTW!! This book is really good so far.

Posted Image
Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

Sy_Accursed
[ Display Name History ]

Sy_Accursed

Post Junkie

• Members
  • 16,851 posts
  • RSN:Sy Accursed
I just started reading Dinosaurs and Prime Nubmers by Tom Moran

Friend of mine and newly published, but nicely written and very funny, if the humour suits you. Only out on Kindle and seemingly only on uk amazon thus far.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Serpent Eye
[ Display Name History ]

Serpent Eye

Retired Crew

• Members
  • 3,466 posts
In the Shadow of Man by Jane Goodall.

Posted Image

One of my favorite passages so far... perhaps won't mean too much to anyone given it's out of greater context. Mike is the dominate male (with a bit of a temper at times) chimpanzee of the group, and Flo is this grumpy old and toothless female (and not to leave out Flint, who is her newborn!) The whole group has just built their nests out of leaves and branches and are taking a lazy midday nap:

Presently, Mike reached out toward Flo's hand and began almost imperceptibly to play with her fingers. Soon she responded, gently grasping his hand, twisting and pulling away -- only to reach out and grasp it again. After a few minutes Mike sat up and leaned over Flo, ticking her neck and her ticklish groin until, protecting Flint with one hand and parrying Mike with the other, Flo started to shake with panting gasps of chimpanzee laughter. After a while she could stand it no longer and rolled away from him. But she was roused, this ancient female with her stumps of teeth, and soon she was tickling Mike in the ribs with her bony fingers. Then it was Mike's turn to laugh and reach to grab her hands and tickle her again himself.

glut.gif
2tchvHp.png

Estonian dude
[ Display Name History ]

Estonian dude

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 3,518 posts
  • RSN:Saq Prets
  • Clan:Off-Topic
Just finished "The Road" by Cormac Mccarthy and started "The Forever War" by Joe Haldeman. I was kinda disappointed with the ending in The Road, wished to learn a bit more about the universe. And so far, 250 pages in, The Forever War definitely puts the "science" part in sci-fi. But I really like the book and it is interesting.

And I finished that Forever War. Now need to read the 2 other books in the series. Awesome.

Edited by SaqPrets, 04 February 2013 - 09:50 PM.

Posted Image

nine naked men
[ Display Name History ]

nine naked men

Chief Beef

• Members
  • 5,556 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
Iron Council, by China Mieville.

There's a lot of words to say about it and most have probably been said better by other people but I really liked this book. As with a lot of his books I wasn't too much of a fan of one general part of the ending but everything else was pretty superb. China Mieville might be the best at giving away little details about the world that makes you want a million books set in it. At the moment I would kill a man for an encyclopedia of Bas-Lag or something.
FBqTDdL.jpg
sleep like dead men
wake up like dead men

Varda
[ Display Name History ]

Varda

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,534 posts
Atlas Shrugged, by Ayn Rand. Captialism's bibel, introduction to liberalism etcetcetc. Heavy (physically, 1200~ pages) as hell, but I kinda promised my man to read it.

Kaida23
[ Display Name History ]

Kaida23

Retired Staff

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P
  • RSN:Kaida23
  • Clan:Total F2P Skillers

:lol:

Posted Image
Check out my blog to read the Adventures of a Big Damn (F2P) Hero.

Posted Image

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

nine naked men
[ Display Name History ]

nine naked men

Chief Beef

• Members
  • 5,556 posts

Atlas Shrugged, by Ayn Rand. Captialism's bibel, introduction to liberalism etcetcetc. Heavy (physically, 1200~ pages) as hell, but I kinda promised my man to read it.

There's a part where someone just talks about nothing for like a hundred pages so you can mentally cut it down a bit.

Comedy option: There's a part where someone just talks about nothing for like 1200 pages so you can mentally cut it down a bit.
FBqTDdL.jpg
sleep like dead men
wake up like dead men

tripsis
[ Display Name History ]

tripsis

The Fuzz

• Administrators
  • 21,534 posts
I'm reading Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi. Pretty good so far. There is a lot of internal rambling/analysing though. It borders on "too much" for my taste (to the point where I skim a little).

Posted Image
Posted Image

Varda
[ Display Name History ]

Varda

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,534 posts
Think I am on that part already, there was this description of Rearden Steel, how it looked like it when it got smelted... I hated it, didn't touch the book for two months.
And I kinda expect my opinion would be something like in that vid.

Other books I also read atm:
LotR, the Hobbit, for the n'th time.
Dracula, Frankenstein, too for the n'th time.
Impatiently waiting on my Anansi Boys and Stardust from my man, he always forgets them when he comes over to my flat.

nine naked men
[ Display Name History ]

nine naked men

Chief Beef

• Members
  • 5,556 posts

Think I am on that part already, there was this description of Rearden Steel, how it looked like it when it got smelted... I hated it, didn't touch the book for two months.

Impatiently waiting on my Anansi Boys and Stardust from my man, he always forgets them when he comes over to my flat.

Nah, you'll know when you get to it. Think the bit in 1984 where Winston reads that book O'Brien gave him except so much worse.
FBqTDdL.jpg
sleep like dead men
wake up like dead men

muggiwhplar
[ Display Name History ]

muggiwhplar

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 8,005 posts
Do any of you "speed read?"

77yLQy8.png

Guest_Rob_
[ Display Name History ]

Guest_Rob_
  • Guests

Varda
[ Display Name History ]

Varda

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,534 posts
http://imgs.xkcd.com...s/bookshelf.png

"You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community." o.O

Related to my Atlas Shrugged talk.
Just ordered Farmer Giles of Ham, been wanting it a while, just haven't bothered before now, since it was insane long waiting times on it online...

Ezee
[ Display Name History ]

Ezee

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 671 posts
  • RSN:Zeei
@ Varda

Posted Image
Posted Image

Jonanananas
[ Display Name History ]

Jonanananas

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,308 posts
  • RSN:Jonanananas
  • Clan:World60pengs

Nah, you'll know when you get to it. Think the bit in 1984 where Winston reads that book O'Brien gave him except so much worse.

O_o I really liked that part in 1984...found it quite interesting.

Also, I've read the Tom Sawyer & Huckleberry Finn books, really loved them. Had me laughing all the time.

Now starting with "The Hotel New Hampshire" by David Irving.

edit: whoops, John Irving. Not a holocaust denier...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users