What book are you currently reading?

sees_all1

1984 by George Orwell. Has been nagging me on the cupboard for weeks now, yet I can't find time to read it.

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

I'm reading Life After Now. It's really sad. It's about a 16 year old who is HIV positive.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

Just finished Snow Country by Kawabata, will probably move on to Tanpinar's A Mind at Peace when I have some free time.

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

Just finished Betrayer from warhammer's the horus heresy.

I'm starting to lose it. They keep giving great back story to the 40k universe but some of the most asked for questions they keep hinting at it and pulling it away at the last second. That fulgrim killed one of the two missing primarchs for some reason, ect. And this is the third book where its suggested that vulcan isn't dead, or would wish he would be dead. I want to know what happened!!

starting halo: silentium next. Sounds interesting especially the fact that there is more then one didact.

michel555555.png

[spoiler=click you know you wanna]
Me behave? Seriously? As a child I saw Tarzan almost naked, Cinderella arrived home from a party after midnight, Pinocchio told lies, Aladin was a thief, Batman drove over 200 miles an hour, Snow White lived in a house with seven men, Popeye smoked a pipe and had tattoos, Pac man ran around to digital music while eating pills that enhanced his performance, and Shaggy and Scooby were mystery solving hippies who always had the munchies. The fault is not mine! if you had this childhood and loved it put this in your signature!

Atlas Shrugged, by Ayn Rand. Captialism's bibel, introduction to liberalism etcetcetc. Heavy (physically, 1200~ pages) as hell, but I kinda promised my man to read it.

Actually, that'd be Wealth of Nations. Capitalism, and capitalist theories/works predate the advent of Libertarianism by centuries. Libertarians advocate a very particular form of capitalism; by no means do they hold a monopoly on the system, or the concept. Nor is Libertarianism the only capitalism out there. Far from it. Not to drag this into a political direction, but I thought that this was a correction worth making.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Reboot by Amy Tintera:

13517455.jpg

So far so good! Sci-fi, virus, super strong "humans", zombie-esque creatures.. count me in.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

Gave up on Atlas Shrugged, might burn it, it belongs to my ex after all. And, well.. I didn't read any more than the first three chapters before I quickly gave up. Now it's gathering dust somewhere.

Pondering to pick up Game of Thrones, I barely saw the first season, so I hope the books are better. :P

Either way, anyone got any suggestions in the fantasy genre?

Gave up on Atlas Shrugged, might burn it, it belongs to my ex after all. And, well.. I didn't read any more than the first three chapters before I quickly gave up. Now it's gathering dust somewhere.

Pondering to pick up Game of Thrones, I barely saw the first season, so I hope the books are better. :P

RE: Game of Thrones -- I hated the books but enjoy the TV show. :anxious:

Posted Image

I recently got a lot of enjoyment out of Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series and Robin Hobb's Liveship Traders. They're very different--Mistborn is a sort of fun twist on the classic epic fantasy formula while Hobb's books are all very character driven and actually almost turned me off by how slow they start. But man it's worth it.

I would also recommend A Song of Ice and Fire . . . they're polarizing but I really enjoy them. Then again I enjoy most fantasy if it's not Eddings or Donaldson. Even Robert Jordan at least started with a cool story. YMMV.

Edit: Also those recommended below me.

p2gq.jpg

Noted. ;p

I quite like Lukyanenko's Watch series.

Mr. Muo's travelling couch. One of the few books i read that isnt required for something else, like school. Its not that good, but has some humor as well as shock factors.

I recently got a lot of enjoyment out of Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series and Robin Hobb's Liveship Traders. They're very different--Mistborn is a sort of fun twist on the classic epic fantasy formula while Hobb's books are all very character driven and actually almost turned me off by how slow they start. But man it's worth it.

I would also recommend A Song of Ice and Fire . . . they're polarizing but I really enjoy them. Then again I enjoy most fantasy if it's not Eddings or Donaldson. Even Robert Jordan at least started with a cool story. YMMV.

Edit: Also those recommended below me.

Perdido Street Station by China Mieville

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

The Name of the Wind less so than Perdido Street Station but it's still alright.

And noted.

Guess it's bookshopping after hospital on Monday. If I have to read another round of American Gods because I keep forgetting to buy new books, I will feed someone to the polar bears.

But oooh, this one is coming out soon: http://www.amazon.com/The-Ocean-End-Lane-Novel/dp/0062255657/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367074841&sr=8-1&keywords=neil+gaiman

Anyone else reading David Sedaris' new book, Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls? I'm taking it slowly because I don't want it to be over. First few stories didn't impress me all that much but it's picked up and become more like classic Sedaris.

p2gq.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

You...you...what? :eek:

I think the books are definitely better, though the show does a good job at adapting them. For me, they're without a doubt the best fantasy series I've read (and unlikely to change) but it depends on why you stopped watching the show...

Brandon Sanderson is also great, he's a good, not great, writer, but he brings a lot of needed innovation to fantasy and his magic systems are really interesting. Recommend to start with Elantris or Mistborn.

You...you...what? :eek:

I think the books are definitely better, though the show does a good job at adapting them. For me, they're without a doubt the best fantasy series I've read (and unlikely to change) but it depends on why you stopped watching the show...

Brandon Sanderson is also great, he's a good, not great, writer, but he brings a lot of needed innovation to fantasy and his magic systems are really interesting. Recommend to start with Elantris or Mistborn.

I find them to be too drawn out, boring, and Martin spends too much time focusing on characters that I just don't care about at all. I like the overall plot line, but it feels like he can go 300 pages without anything actually happening. I power through the characters' chapters I don't care about, all excited to get to the ones I *do* care about, but when I get there, nothing happens in their chapter so I feel let down. I struggled with that same experience for 3.5 of the books before rage quitting.

Posted Image

Related to the above, re-read A Feast for Crows on a whim. Was indifferent to it before, because it really lacked any action, now I think it's one of my favorites in the series for the same reason.

Since the whole point is that the war is over. The 'heroes' that kept things together are all dead, the country is in ruins and the survivors are fighting over the remains (hence, the title).

Since my parents have started watching game of thrones, I figured high time to pick up the books. Of course, I now have 6 episodes to get through before next weekend (more if they watch one without me, since I'll be watching it to catch up).

I can certainly see the sheer number of characters getting chapters getting interesting to say the least, though not entirely unexpected given the scale of the plot and the number of concurrent plot lines involved. I am only 5 chapters in (was reading for a bit in the afternoon), and enjoying it quite a bit. I am looking forward to reading it on more rest though. I am tired enough that my pacing is a bit slow.

picked up "the way of kings" by Brandon Sanderson. I really loved the way he finished off the wheel of time and figured I'd try some of his original work. Loving it so far.

Hating black library at the moment. They are moving away from book stores for the warhammer series and are doing more and more exclusive content for their own web site. It makes sense with more and more people using e-readers, but i hate e-readers :sad:

michel555555.png

[spoiler=click you know you wanna]
Me behave? Seriously? As a child I saw Tarzan almost naked, Cinderella arrived home from a party after midnight, Pinocchio told lies, Aladin was a thief, Batman drove over 200 miles an hour, Snow White lived in a house with seven men, Popeye smoked a pipe and had tattoos, Pac man ran around to digital music while eating pills that enhanced his performance, and Shaggy and Scooby were mystery solving hippies who always had the munchies. The fault is not mine! if you had this childhood and loved it put this in your signature!

Oh. Wow. The last Wheel of Time book has been out for a few months now. Shows how much I care at this point. Sanderson's been doing a good job, though, and now I actually have time to read it.

p2gq.jpg

I stopped liking e-readers when I noticed how many of them require you buy the books through them, rather than reading any file in the proper format you happen to have. I have zero interest in downloading books I do not own. However, my personal collection of about 20 years of age is several hundred novels strong, and I am not inclined to buy books twice. Well, there are a few I would certainly be willing to throw some extra money at the author for sure, but I am not inclined to pay for the privilege to read my books on an inferior, if more portable, platform (I prefer to read paper. I'd like to be able to take a few books with me when I travel, without the part where my carry on weighs 10 lbs. There are also nights I might prefer to not risk dropping a large novel on my face when I fall asleep at 4am because I can't put it down).

There is also the point that I loathe the idea that say, Amazon, could delete my book library on a whim like they did to this guy (and as much as I use it now, I am wary of the same thing with steam).

Of course the solution is quite simple. PDF is a free format, readable with a free program, and on a playbook it can serve as an e-reader, so yeah. Problem solved.