Tip.It Times - 31st October 2010

Racheya

So instead of people handpicking POTENTIALLY good teammates, you want people to be auto-grouped with terrible teammates right off the bat? People stand around shouting because they want to be able to choose their teammates based on various factors. I can guarantee you that a 130 with 80 dungeoneering has a FAR better chance of being a good dungeoneer than a level 50 with 40 dungeoneering. Auto-grouping would actually increase the amount of time you spend looking for teams and completing floors due to both quitters and genuinely terrible players.

Who do you know that you'll only be grouped with bad teammates?? It could match you with good teammates just like doing it manually. Almost no one has tried it so nobody knows for sure.

And you're also assuming that the system only matches based on dungeoneering stats. Who knows how it actually works and whether it will always match you with bad teammates or get you good ones? NO ONE HAS USED IT. That's my point. Because people like you seem to have a preconceived notion that auto-grouping automatically sucks because it will only group you with bad teammates. Why people can't give it a chance is beyond me.

It doesn't take levels into consideration at all (other than for what floor you choose, obviously), which is the problem. If people in world 117 use the auto-grouping system, you're going to be grouped with four people from world 117. Yeah, there's a very slight chance that you might get a good teammate, but IT'S WORLD 117. It wouldn't be any different on any other world. We know exactly how the auto-grouping system works, hence why no one uses it -- it sucks!

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So instead of people handpicking POTENTIALLY good teammates, you want people to be auto-grouped with terrible teammates right off the bat? People stand around shouting because they want to be able to choose their teammates based on various factors. I can guarantee you that a 130 with 80 dungeoneering has a FAR better chance of being a good dungeoneer than a level 50 with 40 dungeoneering. Auto-grouping would actually increase the amount of time you spend looking for teams and completing floors due to both quitters and genuinely terrible players.

Who do you know that you'll only be grouped with bad teammates?? It could match you with good teammates just like doing it manually. Almost no one has tried it so nobody knows for sure.

And you're also assuming that the system only matches based on dungeoneering stats. Who knows how it actually works and whether it will always match you with bad teammates or get you good ones? NO ONE HAS USED IT. That's my point. Because people like you seem to have a preconceived notion that auto-grouping automatically sucks because it will only group you with bad teammates. Why people can't give it a chance is beyond me.

It doesn't take levels into consideration at all (other than for what floor you choose, obviously), which is the problem. If people in world 117 use the auto-grouping system, you're going to be grouped with four people from world 117. Yeah, there's a very slight chance that you might get a good teammate, but IT'S WORLD 117. It wouldn't be any different on any other world. We know exactly how the auto-grouping system works, hence why no one uses it -- it sucks!

I still feel that without people actually using it, saying that it sucks is just plain stupid. I'm not denying that it MIGHT suck. If people try it and if it does indeed suck, then atleast there's something information that Jagex can use to improve it. But nobody uses it and the people who get inconvenienced are casual gamers. The majority of the gamers. Who are looking for a good time and just playing rather than waiting around in the lobby shouting for team requests just to get things going.

It reminds me a lot of the times before the GE. Yes, there was that thrill when you advertise your Amulets of Strength successfully against the other competitors and make a sale. But for the most part, standing around Varrock West Bank shouting "Strength Ammys 9.5k!!!" was a boring, annoying and irritating process. GE streamlined the process so much better and made money-making more accessible to the casual gamer.

A good auto-matchmaking system can have that exact same positive effect on Dungeoneering. However, in order for the grouping system to work, people need to use it for starters. And that's unfortunately the hard part...

Fellsig.jpg

[spoiler=Clusterquote]

I still feel that without people actually using it, saying that it sucks is just plain stupid. I'm not denying that it MIGHT suck. If people try it and if it does indeed suck, then atleast there's something information that Jagex can use to improve it. But nobody uses it and the people who get inconvenienced are casual gamers. The majority of the gamers. Who are looking for a good time and just playing rather than waiting around in the lobby shouting for team requests just to get things going.

It reminds me a lot of the times before the GE. Yes, there was that thrill when you advertise your Amulets of Strength successfully against the other competitors and make a sale. But for the most part, standing around Varrock West Bank shouting "Strength Ammys 9.5k!!!" was a boring, annoying and irritating process. GE streamlined the process so much better and made money-making more accessible to the casual gamer.

A good auto-matchmaking system can have that exact same positive effect on Dungeoneering. However, in order for the grouping system to work, people need to use it for starters. And that's unfortunately the hard part...

If it's anything like the auto-grouping in Barbarian Assault, which would probably be a good indicator, anybody that used this wouldn't know anything about how to actually play through the content, and it would fail miserably.

Bartuccio3.png

We know exactly how it works. I don't see how it could possibly be good if we already know that it's terrible. We had a whole thread about the auto-grouping system last week, funnily enough. For the last time, I am not going to actively choose to be grouped with level 50s with low dungeoneering levels, which is exactly what's going to happen if I use that system. There's no two ways about it -- it sucks.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

Ok, autogrouping sucks. We established this last week, can we move on now? <_<

"In order to lead, you must learn how to carry your followers upon your shoulders"

"A man is not only defined by his abilities, but also by those of the men with which he surrounds himself"

"The meek fight for skill and fame, the strong fight for power with the skill and fame they already have"

"There is no good without sacrifice and no sacrifice without mercy"

The autogrouping sidetrack is diverting from what some of us are saying:

Solo players are penalized simply because they don't want to be grouped at all

It wouldn't matter if the grouping system was the best thing since sliced bread. Some of us don't want to do group questing. In my case, it's the only fault I have with Dung.

If I have 99 in damn near everything, why would I want to group up and put up with the aggravation?

If I have 99 in damn near everything and don't need to be on a team, why should I be penalized, XP wise? Geez - I should get more XP than a team, simply because I can do it effectively on my own. Instead of dividing the XP pot 5 ways, I should get what a team gets instead of the lesser amount solo players are penalized with.

But predictably, Jagex insists on trying to mix oil & water with the usual cluster[bleep]ed results.

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

Just wondering, how would you pick a team? You won't know how good at dungeoneering they are until you actually do the dungeon with them...

That's true. Generally there is a positive correlation with DG level and ability but that is becoming less of the case as time goes on. You either blacklist people that DG like crap, or you maintain a whitelist (essentially people on your perm team.)

The autogrouping sidetrack is diverting from what some of us are saying:

Solo players are penalized simply because they don't want to be grouped at all

It wouldn't matter if the grouping system was the best thing since sliced bread. Some of us don't want to do group questing. In my case, it's the only fault I have with Dung.

If I have 99 in damn near everything, why would I want to group up and put up with the aggravation?

If I have 99 in damn near everything and don't need to be on a team, why should I be penalized, XP wise? Geez - I should get more XP than a team, simply because I can do it effectively on my own. Instead of dividing the XP pot 5 ways, I should get what a team gets instead of the lesser amount solo players are penalized with.

But predictably, Jagex insists on trying to mix oil & water with the usual cluster[bleep]ed results.

If teaming gave the same xp as soloing, nobody would bother teaming. Everyone would just solo. There has to be a trade-off between the two in order for the content to function as intended.

You can still solo. Nothing is stopping you.

If teaming gave the same xp as soloing, nobody would bother teaming. Everyone would just solo. There has to be a trade-off between the two in order for the content to function as intended.

You can still solo. Nothing is stopping you.

Oh yeah... I could... but the XP differential makes it not worth the effort. Tokens are tied to XP, and without tokens the "skill" is useless.

I wouldn't keep harping so, but the Times article advanced the stereotypical view that Dung haters are hating because they love old school "mindless grinding". That view needs to be countered - loudly, emphatically and often.

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours