Slayer

Gandalf14141

I'm coming back to slayer after taking a few months off. What items do I need (I have looked at the guide in the AoW)? I know I'll need the whip, SS, Zs, and slayer helm. I have access to around 90m cash (darn inflation) full prossy, rune defender, and barrow's gloves. What else will I need? I'm assuming that Bandos armor is overkill and should I get claws?

Thanks

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I do not have access to extremes/overloads or any of the chaotic weapons.

Finally on here to update that I have officially quit! It's been fun.
[hide=Signature]
Gandalf14141.png
R.I.P Billy Mays and <3 My Friend C.D.S 7/8/09 <3
60,816th to 99 Fletching 03/07/09|220,309th Person to be Able to Kill Dusties 10 Year Cape on 12/20/14[/hide]

grammar2gr8dx.png

The base slayer gear is as follows (alternatives in brackets):

• [For all slayer monsters except those mentioned under other weapons] Chaotic rapier (whip)
  • Bandos body + legs (Verac's skirt with either fighter torso or proselyte top)
  • [Depending on prayer/accuracy needs] Fire cape/Soul Wars cape/Ardougne cloak 3
  • Barrows gloves (your best rfd gloves, at least rune)
  • Dragon boots (rune boots)
  • Amulet of fury (glory)
  • Rune defender
  • Berserker ring (i)/ferocious ring if slaying in Kuradal's Dungeon (berserker ring, warrior ring)
  • [Most important] Full slayer helmet.
  • [For magic defence on waterfiends/aquanites] Karil's top and bottom (black dragonhide body and chaps, elite void skirt)
  • [Crush attacks to use on waterfiends] Chaotic maul (Saradomin sword, Zamorakian spear)
  • [stab attacks for higher-levelled dragons, when not using rapier] Zamorakian spear (Korasi's sword, leaf-bladed sword)
  • Task-specific items such as mirror shields, antifire shields/potions, elemental shields, rock hammers, crystal chimes
  • Cannon (optional, up to personal preference)

Slayer setups generally emphasise strength bonus, which increases the average damage of each succesful hit (slayer monsters usually having rather low defence, hitting is not a problem). Secondly, prayer bonus is important to keep the cost of prayer potions down (as you slay with piety on, to increase the speed of your kills. This is cost-effective and highly recommended). As a rule of thumb, +15 prayer bonus or above is good, but don't overdo it (anything above +25 is a waste). Defence and accuracy bonus are usually not fretted over (any defence bonus over 200 will do; if you get hit too often you should be using a protection prayer). Dagganoth, black demon, lesser demon, hellhound, bloodveld and spectre tasks should be cannoned, as it dramatically increases xp rates (although it costs a bit).

Some notes on gear: You'll want a fury and a berserker ring before you get bandos plate, and get that before tassets. You'll want accuracy bonus on higher-levelled dragons; if using stab attacks (which you should) you can use the Ardougne cloak 3 which provides you with +6 stab and +6 prayer bonus. Torso + sw cape and fire cape + proselyte are common cheap top/cape combinations; the former is better.

Some levels to get for slayer (in approximate order but I'm not sure on the summoning):

• 68 summoning - bunyip
  • 81 dungeoneering (you need 2 million xp, which takes you to level 80, but allowing some tokens for the scroll of life) - rapier
  • 89 herblore (85 with a +4 stew boost) - extreme potions, superantifires
  • 95 prayer - turmoil and soul split
  • 88 summoning - unicorn
  • 96 herblore (91 with a +5 stew boost) - overload
  • 99 summoning - steel titan

I'm sure I missed something but this is most of it.

tl;dr get rapier. And extremes, or turmoil, depending on how much you can make. Frosts are good money.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

Wow Quyneax, thanks

[hide=Signature]
Gandalf14141.png
60,816th to 99 Fletching 03/07/09|220,309th Person to be Able to Kill Dusties 10 Year Cape on 12/20/14[/hide]

grammar2gr8dx.png

I have everything mentioned above, and I have around 15-25m (depends on how my items sell) what else should I buy?

[hide=Signature]
Gandalf14141.png

grammar2gr8dx.png

Setup mentioned above is overkill. V Skirt > Bandos Tassy. Sure Bandos has that little extra STR bonus but it lacks the prayer bonus, and that's what you want. For efficient slaying all you need is V Skirt, Prossy Chest, Whip, Def, Fury, D Boots, Barrows Gloves, Zerker or Warrior. Also a ZS is handy to have.

You'd be slaying much faster using this setup praying piety or turmoil than you would using bandos. Spend 10m on some pots and i assure you you will have 99 slayer sooner this way and save yourself a hell of a lot of money. Smart people dont slay in Bandos.

Edit: Slayer armour is not suppose to focus on str bonus. Its supposed to get the best ballance between Atk, Str and Prayer. And if such a ballance cant be found it should focus on prayer because Prayer > Str Bonus.

The base slayer gear is as follows (alternatives in brackets):

Dagganoth, black demon, lesser demon, hellhound, bloodveld and spectre tasks should be cannoned, as it dramatically increases xp rates (although it costs a bit).

To add to this, you should cannon EVERY task possible, not just the ones listed in Quyneax's post. Stuff like Fire Giants, Dark Beasts, Living Rock Creatures, Suquahs, etc. The only time you should not cannon is when the monster is exclusively found or to be killed in Kuradel's dungeon, GWD, the Slayer Caves, or the Slayer Tower. Everywhere else, bring your cannon.

It's worth noting that some locations do not have multicombat (such as Dark Beasts and Fire Giants). First off, it's still best to bring the cannon since it still will speed you up by a lot (just less than if it were multi). Second, if you can avoid being hit by any one monster, the cannon will treat the area as multicombat. This is extremely useful for Fire Giants, as you can range the giants in the center room of the Waterfall Dungeon with your cannon in the middle of the room. The cannon will then hit every single Fire Giant (except maybe 1-2 out of its range) despite the fact that it's single combat. It will keep doing so until you are attacking by a Fire Giant or that annoying level 2 rat in the room. If this happens, just run back to the safespot and in a few seconds your cannon will love you again.

Setup mentioned above is overkill. V Skirt > Bandos Tassy. Sure Bandos has that little extra STR bonus but it lacks the prayer bonus, and that's what you want. For efficient slaying all you need is V Skirt, Prossy Chest, Whip, Def, Fury, D Boots, Barrows Gloves, Zerker or Warrior. Also a ZS is handy to have.

You'd be slaying much faster using this setup praying piety or turmoil than you would using bandos. Spend 10m on some pots and i assure you you will have 99 slayer sooner this way and save yourself a hell of a lot of money. Smart people dont slay in Bandos.

Edit: Slayer armour is not suppose to focus on str bonus. Its supposed to get the best ballance between Atk, Str and Prayer. And if such a ballance cant be found it should focus on prayer because Prayer > Str Bonus.

Quyneax's post assumes using turmoil. She's correct. You're not.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

Obtaurian covered Halo's post :).

As for the cannon comment, cannoning is really a personal thing. Although it is far faster, it is also the most expensive thing to do of the typical boosts (turm, extremes, chaotic). I only mention the ones you should always, always cannon. But yes, cannon is really fun.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

I have 50m extra, I'll buy a cannon. I have enough cash to get to 85 prayer, should I do this and then as money starts coming in more buy 89/95 or should I just keep my cash and wait until I can go straight to 95?

[hide=Signature]
Gandalf14141.png

grammar2gr8dx.png

Might aswell just wait till you have enough money to reach 95 in one go. Soulsplit really isnt that usefull. Unless you don't have 69 for a Bunyip (with EE) or 88 Summoning for a Unicorn then Soulsplit becomes usefull. But if you have either of those then just wait till you can buy turmoil.

I have 50m extra, I'll buy a cannon. I have enough cash to get to 85 prayer, should I do this and then as money starts coming in more buy 89/95 or should I just keep my cash and wait until I can go straight to 95?

Straight for 95. Soul Split by itself is worthless.

That would mean tassets are better...since they give both prayer AND strength bonus. Smart people slay in Bandos (after they have more important stuff though of course)

As for the extra 50m. Do you have access to extreme pots? (level 85-86 herb for comfortable stewing) If not, 50m could get you there assuming you're smart about your buys and have a scroll of cleansing. For prayer, get 95 in one go. Piety isn't worth giving up for just soul split

whatisrush-1.png

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

FlowerPower.png

I personally use tassets and pros pl8.

facepalm.jpg

DK drops (solo/LS): 66 hatchets, 14 archer rings, 13 berserker rings, 17 warrior rings, 12 seerculls, 13 mud staves, 7 seers rings

QBD drops: 1 kite, 2 visages, 4 dragonbone kits, 3 effigies, lots of crossbow parts

CR vs. CLS threads always turn into discussions about penis size.
It's not called a Compensation Longsword for nothing.

I've sent a 12k combat mission to have Aiel assassinated (poor bastard isn't even Pincers-tier difficulty).

DM0Yq2c.png

I personally use tassets and pros pl8. Save for 95 pray slayer well just combat in general becomes easier.

orrrr you can get tassets and bcp and stop penny pinching on prayer pots which only cost like 50k an hour anyway, lol.

I personally use tassets and pros pl8. Save for 95 pray slayer well just combat in general becomes easier.

orrrr you can get tassets and bcp and stop penny pinching on prayer pots which only cost like 50k an hour anyway, lol.

edit: managed to mother [bleep]ing quadruple post, top that, [bleep]es

Bladewing is so intense that his posts are automatically quadrupled.

The submit button can't handle all that heat, so it's got no other choice.

I don't have access to extremes, but I'm pretty sure that 50m won't get me to 85 herby, so I'll figure I'll wait and until I have the cash for either one and then ask and see which is better.

[hide=Signature]
Gandalf14141.png

grammar2gr8dx.png