A guide to Chopping Ivy

Nro

A guide to cutting Choking Ivy

Choking Ivy, More commonly known as Ivy by most Runescape players is one of the best methods of gaining woodcutting experience. It is found on the sides of walls, clinging to the side of the wall. Choking Ivy was realeased into Runescape on the 23rd of September in 2009, and since then has been used as one of the easiest ways to Woodcut.

Contents

Locations & Respawn

Benefits of each Location

Experience & Levels

--- Recommended Hatchets

Usefull Familiars

--- Beaver

--- Magpie

Tips & Tricks

Thanks

Locations & Respawn

What Choking Ivy looks like:

clinging_ivy.gif

The Locations ivy can be cut at are as follow:

• North Wall of Varrock Palace (4 spots) ------------------------- Picture of location: http://img152.imageshack.us/i/varrocknorthspot.png/

• South-East Wall of Varrock Palace (5 spots) ------------------ Picture of location: http://img24.imageshack.us/i/varrocksouthspot.png/

• North Side of the North Falador Wall (7 spots) -------------- Picture of location: http://img440.imageshack.us/i/faladornorthspot.png/

• South Side of the South Falador Wall (7 spots) ------------- Picture of location: http://img836.imageshack.us/i/faladorsouthspot.png/

• South-East of Taverly, Near the Hot Air Baloon (5 spots) Picture of location: http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/5492/taverlyspot.png

• East Wall of East Ardougne Church (5 spots) --------------- Picture of location: http://img718.imageshack.us/i/ardychurchspot.png/

• North Side of the North Yanille Wall (6 spots) -------------- Picture of location: http://img220.imageshack.us/i/yanillespot.png/

• South Wall of Castlewars (7 spots) ----------------------------- Picture of location: http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/29/castlewarsspot.png

Benefits of each Location

• North Wall of Varrock Palace: This spot is close to Yew trees. While waiting for Yew trees to respawn Ivy can be cut for additional experience. Bank is close by aswell. Spot generally has 3 or 4 people there.

• South-East Wall of Varrock Palace: A tree farming patch is next to this Ivy location. A Magic tree may be planted here and cut. While waiting for the Magic tree to respawn Ivy can be cut for additional experience. Spot is generally crowded.

• North Side of the North Falador Wall: Usually a fairly quite location, with a grapple a farming tree is close by and may be cut like at South-East Varrock Palace.

• South Side of the South Falador Wall: Close to the Falador East bank. There are Yew trees near the Ivy so additional money can be made. This spot is generally crowded. If you angle the camera just right, it's possible to see the herb patch and the limpwurt patch to look for disease and to pick.

• South-East of Taverly: Spot is generally crowded. As the Varrock South-East location, there is a tree farming spot very close. The balloon can then be taken to Castle Wars to bank logs, and to return.

• East Wall of East Ardougne Church: Multiple spots here, generally not many people cutting here either. This is one of the better spots. Close to a bank also.

• North Side of the North Yanille Wall: Spot is generally empty. Bank is close and with Ardougne Tasks done, the watch tower teleport can be moved to the center of the town. This is one of the better spots.

• South Wall of Castlewars: Close to a the Castlewars bank chest. Implings usually fly past here, so they may be captured for profit. Usually 1+ spots per person. This is one of the better spots.

Experience & Levels

Level 68 Woodcutting is required to cut Choking ivy, however this can be reached by drinking an Axeman's folly (m) at level 66. Choking ivy grants 332.5 Woodcutting experience for each 'piece' cut. This can be increased to 340.81 when wearing the full LumberJack outfit. The Sacred Clay Hatchet adds extra experience totalling 665 per vine cut down. With a Sacred Clay Hatchet the average experience per hour is 102k although 3 hatchets will be needed for 1 hour of chopping.

Recommended Hatchets

Dragon Hatchet

hatchet_dragon.gif

Inferno Adze

inferno_adze.gif

Sacred Clay Hatchet

wcguide_schatchet.gif

Rune hatchet

hatchet_rune.gif

The Inferno Adze cuts Ivy at the same speed as a dragon hatchet, so if you can't afford dragon but have an Adze, use that instead. No other hatchet should be used for cutting ivy because anything lower than rune drop experience per hour considerably. A Rune hatchet is only 8k anyway :P

With a Dragon Hatchet at level 80 woodcutting 70k experience per hour will be gained, and with a Rune Hatchet at level 80 around 60k experience per hour will be gained. So it is really worth upgrading from Rune to Dragon even for only a few levels. At level 90 the experience increase to 80k for Dragon and 70k for Rune.

Sacred Clay Hatchet

The SC Hatchet debate starts at whether or not it is even worth getting. Frankly the answer is no. This is due to the fact that gaining multiple SC Hatchets takes a fair amount of time for the bonus experience gained. I did a small test with this, with just one hatchet.

One game of Stealing creation was played with a Fast Sc Clan. From this game I got 24 points (I got 56k SC points during the round) and the game took 10 minutes. I then bought a Proto-tool and headed to the Yanille ivy spot. For the rest of the hour I cut ivy and managed to get 72k woodcutting experience before it ran out of charges. I still had 20 minutes left in the hour so I stopped.

72k/40 = 1800 exp per minute. Which therefore = 108k per hour including getting the hatchet.

Dragon hatchet: 80k/60 = 1333 exp per minute.

This is not including the games that take the full 20 minutes, or the games where 20 points is not reached. Overall the 2 hatchets would be fairly equal although with a Dragon hatchet Stealing Creation does not need to be played. If you enjoy Stealing Creation I recommend gather Proto-Tools and using those for wcing, otherwise just stick to dragon.

When going to play Stealing Creation remember to use a Fast SC clan, which can be found on the Runescape forums. The qfc for Fast SC is 93-94-561-62016948

Usefull Familiars

Beaver

Beaver_pouch.gif

The Beaver familiar (level 33 to summon) boosts Woodcutting by 2 levels invisibly, this means it can't be used to cut ivy at level 66. This boost can be quite handy in increasing experience per hour and a bank is usually nearby so it isn't hard to get another pouch or restore summoning points.

Magpie

sum_magpie.gif

The Magpie familiar (level 47 to summon) is a foraging familiar. It randomly finds gems and rings up to and including diamond. They can also store 30 gems/rings before needing to be banked, So this creates quite a lot of profit. If you withdraw the magpies' gems and rings when it is full, you can keep a maximum of 58 gems and rings before having to bank.

Tips & Tricks

For the best experience per hour, gather a few Sacred Clay Hatchets (3 for every hour you plan to cut ivy for) wear full LumberJack gear and summon a Beaver familiar.

For the best money per hour, Equip a Dragon Hatchet, wear full LumberJack gear, equip a Strung Rabbit Foot (this increases the amount of bird nests dropped) and summon a Magpie familiar. This will still bring good experience and will net you around 50k per hour minimum.

Another tip, there is actually no advantage in using an Inferno Adze, because the Adze's special ability doesn't work on Ivy. If you have one, use it anyway because it chops Ivy at the same speed as a Dragon Hatchet but expect no firemaking experience.

Thanks

I would like to thank the following people/Communities

ImageShack for allowing me to upload locations.

• King_Yoza for showing me how to use colours :)

Tip.it for the Pictures :)

• Killhim9612 for telling me about SC Hatchets which I forgot to add :)

• You for reading my Guide to Chopping Ivy B)

Also, if you wouldn't mind, please post some feedback, replying only takes 20 seconds and could help me improve my future guides :)

If you have any questions PM me on SwiftIRC 'Nropking1' or 'Nro|away' :D

Thanks Magbill, :) and yeah it is fairly fast. Not the fastest wc exp/h in the game, but it's certainly up there. there isn't alot you can write about cutting ivy, but I think I got most of it.

Thanks Magbill, :) and yeah it is fairly fast. Not the fastest wc exp/h in the game, but it's certainly up there. there isn't alot you can write about cutting ivy, but I think I got most of it.

What do you think is faster?

Oshmannj.png

What do you think is faster?

I think you can manage faster exp cutting teaks(maybe?) or the sawmill.

I heard the sawmill is faster then ivy, but it's a lot more work. I'd rather just do ivy, maybe multitask with a movie or something.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

Best exp/hour is teaks. Then I think sawmill is up there...Plus with teaks you can gain fm exp with an adze, and mage exp with magic imbue/alch/plank make/humidify. You can also fletch. :shades:

You can also put what you could do by each place or benefits..Like with the taverley one for the hot air balloon you could start a farming run there as I know some farming runs involve balloons. But yeah, things along that line..

Edited by Killhim9612
Killhim9612.png

The sawmill is roughly 100k/h but it is alot more clicking intensive, as ivy is relatively straight forward compared.

As for teaks, they are pretty much the same exp per hour (around 80k) but again, you either need to bank or burn them. Adze helps alot here I believe and you get a decent amount of fire making exp.

@The_Gabe Thanks for your opinion, but many people don't know the location or the exp rates.

@Killhim9612 Hmm I'll try and think of things for each spot. Thanks again

@Sir_Squab Yeah sawmill is more exp, but Ivy is alot more relaxed

@oshmannj Ivy and Teaks are roughly the same exp/h and sawmill is alot more, check out the Tip.it woodcutting guide

@Magbil Teaks are the same sawmill is more :)

Who would actually need a guide to cut ivy...?

I had the same thought but this guide was very well done, covered every topic in depth. Lots of the "omg really?" ivy guides are just "go here with a rune hatchet and chop." Nice job.

2496 Completionist

Who would actually need a guide to cut ivy...?

I had the same thought but this guide was very well done, covered every topic in depth. Lots of the "omg really?" ivy guides are just "go here with a rune hatchet and chop." Nice job.

Thanks Jettrider :) If you have any suggestions, or anything I could add to improve the guide just let me know :P

@Ardzik Alright, thanks :) I'll add that into the Usefull Familiars section soon :)

Another benefit to the "South Side of the South Falador Wall" spot is the herb and limpwurt patches just south of the ivys. If you chop closer to the Eastern side of the ivy spawns, you can angle your camera and actually see the plots to monitor for disease and fully grown. :^_^:

Another benefit to the "South Side of the South Falador Wall" spot is the herb and limpwurt patches just south of the ivys. If you chop closer to the Eastern side of the ivy spawns, you can angle your camera and actually see the plots to monitor for disease and fully grown. :^_^:

That's awesome, I love it. Thanks, I'll add it right away :D

Sawmill is still the way to go for INTENSE amounts of xp. Interesting guide considering your only covering 1 type of method :)

Ivy is alot easier to chop then sawmill if you don't pay full attention :P And thank you :)

teaks is best wc exp actually :mellow:

Not quite, the best overall xp because you get firemaking and magic xp, perhaps. But sawmill + burning magics with penance horn (pro ba team) + most of your magic xp through barraging/superheating is perhaps better (forgot the actual calculations).

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

For the best pure wc exp sawmill all the way. But yeah you are pretty right about teaks for overall exp.

@Quyneax Ha that sounds like an awful lot of work :P More on the Zarfot level then the average players, do you remember roughly how much total exp per hour this was?

• 1 month later...

teaks is best wc exp actually :mellow:

Not quite, the best overall xp because you get firemaking and magic xp, perhaps. But sawmill + burning magics with penance horn (pro ba team) + most of your magic xp through barraging/superheating is perhaps better (forgot the actual calculations).

/facepalm

teaks are best exp. get over the true fact.

why would you barrage anything.

only combat mage thats efficient is probably fire surge @ ice wyrms task. lol.

and wait why would you get mage exp there. alching? lol. just fletch+drop with tinderbox/mousekeys. hurr.

Killhim9612.png

Eh?

Teaks are 95k xp/hr, sawmill 115k. That leaves around 12 minutes to gain firemaking xp equal to what you would have gained at teaks - firemaking is over 500k xp/hr, so you're talking 100k xp in those 12 minutes.

I'm assuming you would be fletching bolts throughout (fletching xp), or alching throughout (magic xp & no need to drop). Fletching the logs is just meh when you could be doing bolts.

As for barraging, it's the fastest magic xp in the game. Barraging is also the most efficient way to obtain charms at high incomes and the best way to do barrows and dagganoth Rex.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted