Xbox 360 Slim Hard Drive

Ouchy

I recently bought an XBOX 360 Slim 4GB, that comes bundled with Kinect. I thought I would be ok with 4GB, but I am not however. Stuff I want to put on it I am unable.

Micro$oft is charging $170 here for the offical 250GB hard drive for the slim. I can buy a 250GB hard drive for about $80 or cheaper. My question is, if I bought a hard drive and configured it and everything so it would work with the Xbox 360, will I get banned from XBOX Live?

Thanks.

My relaxation method involves a bottle of lotion, beautiful women, and partial nudity. Yes I get massages.

ojdv.jpg

Quite possibly.

As soon as u connect they'd get some hd details.

I know most people who did it got banned from live.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I'm pretty sure they let you use either Microsoft's Xbox 360 250GB Internal Harddrive, or your own external harddrive (use the usb ports on the front). Wouldn't see any problem with either of those.

Brett0wnz.png

99woodcutting.png - 86,939th to 99 Woodcutting on July 10, 2010 (CHOPPED EUCALYPTUS TREES)

99fletchingr.png - Achieved 99 Fletching on November 23, 2010

99fishingc.png - Achieved 99 Fishing on November 2, 2011

99cookingo.png - Achieved 99 Cooking on November 7, 2011

Yeah, Microsoft and Apple are pretty anal about ripping off their customers with their own brand of prodcuts, however personally i've never owned either brand and as such can only advise against grabbing the $80 one and formatting to work cause they might not like that.

1yrb49.jpg

It would be a bit of a pain taking my external downstairs with me when I want to play XBOX, then back up when I go on my Laptop :/

My relaxation method involves a bottle of lotion, beautiful women, and partial nudity. Yes I get massages.

ojdv.jpg

If u plan to buy one anyway just buy an external one.

As by replies in this thread using an external for game storage etc wont get u live banned, as ur still running the console off an xbox hd.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Turns out you can't use external hard drives...

WTF MICROSOFT!!!!!!!

ojdv.jpg

You can buy one of their other HDDs in the old enclosures, open it and just plug it in (the same ports for the HDD are in the slim, so no converter is needed). You can also buy a 3.5" HDD (250gb max) and configure it to work with an xbox, but I'm not sure if that would really affect you. Many of my friends have done it and they haven't had any repercussions, but you never know.

EDIT: And no, there is no way to use an external unless you partition it to be 16GB (Max) and the right format.

[hide=99s]47,297th to 99 Attack, 12/10/08
47,898th to 99 Hitpoints, 3/29/09
78,286th to 99 Strength, 4/5/09
36,125th to 99 Range, 6/7/09, 12:30 in the morning.
70,280th to 99 Defence, 4/16/10
67,781st to 99 Magic, 8/13/10
Somethingth to 99 Slayer on some day during the Summer (I forgot to write it down)
169,099th to 99 Cooking , 4/9/11
Idk what to 99 fm at some point
Idk what to 99 prayer on 1/28/2012

?? 99 thieving 12/30/2015

?? 99 herblore 1/2/2016, ?? 99 dungeoneering 9/5/2016[/hide]

s2k10n.png

Even if it's a dumb story, telling it changes other people just the slightest little bit, just as living the story changes me. An infinitesimal change. And that infinitesimal change ripples outward-ever smaller but everlasting. I will get forgotten, but the stories will last. And so we all matter-maybe less than a lot, but always more than none.

-John Green (An Abundance of Katherines)

You can buy one of their other HDDs in the old enclosures, open it and just plug it in (the same ports for the HDD are in the slim, so no converter is needed). You can also buy a 3.5" HDD (250gb max) and configure it to work with an xbox, but I'm not sure if that would really affect you. Many of my friends have done it and they haven't had any repercussions, but you never know.

EDIT: And no, there is no way to use an external unless you partition it to be 16GB (Max) and the right format.

Yeah, I was contemplating doing that...

If you partion it, does that mean you still get access to the rest of the space, or only 16GB?

Sorry for the noob questions, this is my first XBOX 360 I have owned.

ojdv.jpg

Partitioning a HDD pretty much reserves space for one thing, so the computer (or Xbox) recognizes it as two drives. So you lose no space, but it is recognized as more than one HDD, leaving your other data untouched.

[hide=99s]47,297th to 99 Attack, 12/10/08
47,898th to 99 Hitpoints, 3/29/09
78,286th to 99 Strength, 4/5/09
36,125th to 99 Range, 6/7/09, 12:30 in the morning.
70,280th to 99 Defence, 4/16/10
67,781st to 99 Magic, 8/13/10
Somethingth to 99 Slayer on some day during the Summer (I forgot to write it down)
169,099th to 99 Cooking , 4/9/11
Idk what to 99 fm at some point
Idk what to 99 prayer on 1/28/2012

?? 99 thieving 12/30/2015

?? 99 herblore 1/2/2016, ?? 99 dungeoneering 9/5/2016[/hide]

s2k10n.png

Even if it's a dumb story, telling it changes other people just the slightest little bit, just as living the story changes me. An infinitesimal change. And that infinitesimal change ripples outward-ever smaller but everlasting. I will get forgotten, but the stories will last. And so we all matter-maybe less than a lot, but always more than none.

-John Green (An Abundance of Katherines)