bring me up to speed!

jonni

I've been off for a while now, haven't read the news for months which is a first because usually I still read it even if I'm not playing.

Anyway, it was quite a surprise to see them resurrecting some old things but also seems pretty brainless. But I still want to play again, so a few questions:

1) what is the general consensus among the intelligent community (i.e not rsof) about the wildy etc. and are they doing it because sub/player numbers have dropped as some of my friends have suggested? can they really kill off botting? It was instantly obvious to me when I logged into the game how much worse it has gotten since summer '10 when I was last playing.

2) how does damage soaking work; is it a big thing now?

3) what happened to mechscape - i remember it being cancelled or restarted or something

4) does the old objective/summoning button have a different use now? (at the bottom left of the interface) or a planned use?

2) It's no big deal, a few percent less damage here and there. Basically the soak percentage is applied to damage over 200. 20% soak on a hit of 200 is nothing. 20% soak on a hit of 500 is 20% reduction of the 300 damage beyond that 200, e.g. 60 reduction for a total hit of 440.

Others I got no clue.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

2) already well covered

3) Mechscape is Stellar Dawn. Its due to launch sometime this year, the website is up and they did applications for the beta a while bk.

4) Its nothing atm, but when they moved task system they did say they had a use for it planned.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

1) what is the general consensus among the intelligent community (i.e not rsof) about the wildy etc. and are they doing it because sub/player numbers have dropped as some of my friends have suggested? can they really kill off botting? It was instantly obvious to me when I logged into the game how much worse it has gotten since summer '10 when I was last playing.

Silentcore (a rather famous Runescape on youtube) created a video describing the poll regarding the wildy and free trade as an attempt to break a record in the Guinness Book of World Records. However, that is just a theory, 90+% voted to bring back free trade and the wilderness and the only thing Jagex said was something along the lines of "We'll have an announcement Monday". So at this point in time we cannot be 100% sure that Jagex will bring back free trade or the wilderness, we can only wait till tomorrow to find out.

In my personal opinion, it's not because numbers have dropped. Jagex is in the position as the largest free/relatively inexpensive MMO; this position practically gives them the ability to do whatever they want to their playerbase under the understanding that there isn't any other alternative out there. If they do go through it, then I think it is because they have finally wised up and started paying attention to their community.

Unicornus.png

Just curious, what happened when you instantly logged in?

if you mean what i saw to make me think botting was worse, it was people ess mining in varrock. loads and loads of people making the same movements. granted, some will be actual people quietly getting on with it but it didn't half make me think of the times when level threes swarmed the place back in '06-07 etc.

plus various people on IRC channels i frequent constantly boasting about getting away with it since '09, honestly i'll be surprised if jagex can or will do anything impressive - because I know people with 20m+ hunter and runecraft xp who are still playing with not even a warning.

Thanks for the help everyone

Just curious, what happened when you instantly logged in?

if you mean what i saw to make me think botting was worse, it was people ess mining in varrock. loads and loads of people making the same movements. granted, some will be actual people quietly getting on with it but it didn't half make me think of the times when level threes swarmed the place back in '06-07 etc.

plus various people on IRC channels i frequent constantly boasting about getting away with it since '09, honestly i'll be surprised if jagex can or will do anything impressive - because I know people with 20m+ hunter and runecraft xp who are still playing with not even a warning.

Thanks for the help everyone

They have hit alot of bots lately.

They have a new automated system tht starts draining the stats of suspected bots, until they can deal with em.

If u look msot bots up in highscores if u see em several times their levels will be static or falling

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue