- 80+ prayer

- 91+ herblore (pot for overloads)

- 96+ summoning

Masses

- 90+ range

- 85+ defence

- 70+ prayer

- 88+ summoning

As you can see, the requirements are pretty steep. Nex is level 1001 and is not easy to kill. However, with the proper knowledge and a good team, you can get up to 8 kills per trip.

2.0 – Team size analysis

From my experience and from talking to many other dedicated players, the best size team to go with is anywhere from 8 to 15 people max. It’s logical to think that more people = faster Nex kills and therefore more kills per trip, but that’s not how it works with Nex. She uses many multi-combat attacks, such as smoke and blood barrage that affect the entire team, and help her. Also, when she uses soul split in her curse form, she heals off of the entire team, so more people = more LP for her.

Also, with masses, there is a strategy issue of not everyone knowing what to do, which can lead to lengthy kills and more supplies used.

However, if you want to get the hang of fighting Nex, and familiarize yourself personally with her attacks, then I have no objection to joining a mass.

3.0 – What to wear

3.1 –Gear for small teams

smallteamgear.png

Armadyl can be replaced with karil's. You can also use Karil's top and Verac's skirt, with Verac's top and flail in inventory for melee hybridding.

Spectral can be replaced with DFS > BSS > Obsidian shield. Better options are Divine > Elysian > Eagle-eye Kite = Spectral

Most small teams require you to use dragon claws, but if you don't have any, you can use enhanced excalibur, preferably Elite.

Instead of Dragon boots, you can bring Ranger boots, Snakeskin boots, or Infinity boots for the range attack or magic defence boost.

If you have access to the mobilising armies ring upgrades, you should bring an Onyx ring (i) > Archer's ring (i) > Dragonstone ring (i)

3.2 – Inventory for small teams

smallteaminv.png

If you have the determination to make super prayer potions, you should take out 5 super restores for every 4 super prayers you add (Super prayer (4) restores 40 points per dose at 95 prayer, and Super restores restore 31 per dose).

3.3 – Gear for masses

massgear.png

If you want to, you can switch around some of the gear. For example, you can take karil's/d'hide top and bottom instead of verac's skirt, and use a whip or SGS as a melee weapon. The point of going in masses is to get the hang of killing Nex and learn the ropes before you join smaller teams.

3.4 – Inventory for masses

massinv.png

You can replace the overloads with extreme/regular ranging potions, but you may need to take 1-2 more. Masses don't usually require overloads to join.

This is what you should have in your beast of burden (If you're using a tort, remove the last 2 lines)

yakinv.png

4.0 – Getting killcount

Getting killcount at Nex has been commonly described as “a huge pain,” but with the right strategy, you can get your killcount in under 20 minutes. You will need to collect four frozen key parts from each of the god wars sections. Therefore, you need 70 agility, hp, strength, and ranged to collect all four parts. You don't need to go into the boss room to collect them, just past the parts that require the 70 stats to enter.

Gear:

kcgear.png

What to bring with you to get your killcount is very important, as you *must* have a high defence bonus. I find that this gear works very well for me, as I have protection from everything in the room except for ancient mages.

Variations can be made, for example, you can bring a DFS and a helm of Neitzinot or Fighter hat. This way, you'll have even more defence points, and you'll be able to bring different potions. Make sure you have a high defence bonus if you don't take overloads. This is easily done by using a mix of barrows and a good shield, such as a sigil shield, DFS, or dungeoneering shield.

If you would like a different setup, here is a good one to take as an alternative.

kcgear2.png

Inventory

kcinv.png

Steel titan > Iron titan > Unicorn Stallion > Elemental titan

The reason for this is that the mosnters you are killing are not extremely high level, but have lots of LP, so steel/iron titans work best there. You'll be praying the whole time, so food isn't really a problem, but when you have a ranger and a mage on you, you'll need a bit of healing. Unicorns are great for this, but they slow down your killcount so I'd recommend using the titans instead. If you have a Pack Yak, you should bring it summoned with a titan pouch inside it. When you get inside the frozen door, you should bank your key just in case something happens and you die. The black screen of death is no fun, especially somewhere as dangerous as this.

It is a common rumor that you need overloads to get killcount. This is not true, but overloads require less work to use. In order to get the monsters to become unagressive, you have to have a high defence bonus. This can be achieved by

Here is a good place to get your Killcount.

The purple area is where you should go if you have def-boosting pots. Kill the ancient rangers and the one mage there.

The red area is where you should go if you don't have def-boosting pots. Kill the blood reaver and ancient wariror there.

Blood reavers are scattered throughout the center-south area of the Zaros room. These are also a very good option for getting killcount, since they have very low melee defence and don't hit much. Personally, I like to kill ancient rangers since there are many of them grouped together in a small area. If there is an ancient mage on you, make sure you kill it as quickly as possible. These can be very deadly, since they have the ability to poison and freeze you.

kcarea.png

5.0 – Nex

Anything Nex says in text that appears above her head is recorded by a human voice, and if you have game sounds on, you will be able to hear it.

5.1 – How Nex fights

Here is an in-depth guide on Nex’s attacks. She has a special irremovable shield that makes the max hit of ALL attacks 500 damage. There is no way to remove this. If you want a summary with attacks to use, then go to section 5.3.

[spoiler=Nex's Behaviour]She spawns in the center of the room and calls out the names of the four mages. She then calls on the first one and goes into her smoke phase, infecting the person farthest away from her with a cough when she spawns. The cough will spread on its own to anyone within 2 squares of the infected. Pray MAGE on this phase. If you get within ~5 squares of her, she will suck you in and damage you for about 400LP, and will disable your prayer for a few seconds so stay out of the middle and make sure you are far enough away from her. When she is damaged enough, she will call upon the first mage, and you will all have to pile that mage.

Then she gains power from the second mage, going into the shadow phase. Pray RANGE on this phase (yes, range, not a typo). She creates black shadow spots on the ground. AVOID THESE AT ALL COSTS! You have literally one second to get off the shadow spots, or else you’ll be damaged from 200-600 LP. Once you get her damaged enough, she’ll call on the second mage and once it is killed, she’ll go into her blood phase.

In her blood phase, she constantly uses blood barrage, which hits everyone in the room. Pray MAGE on this phase. She will also spawn blood reavers in the room, but pay no attention to them. Every few seconds, she will yell “A Siphon will solve this!” This is your queue to STOP attacking her. If you hit her, the damage splats will turn purple, and she will be healed for whatever damage you hit on her. She will also say “I demand a blood sacrifice!” When she says this, ONE player will turn completely red, and a message will appear in their chatbox saying “Nex has marked you as a sacrifice. RUN!” You only have to move about 5 squares away from her, and tank the hit (50-100 LP damage). Once she’s damaged enough, she’ll call upon the mage, and once the mage is killed, she’ll switch to the Ice phase.

In her Ice phase, she’ll cast ice barrage on everyone, but it doesn’t freeze. Pray MAGE on this phase. She will commonly target one player and trap them (and everyone on the same square as them) in a 3x3 square of icicles. If you see this happen, click on one of the icicles and break it so they can get out. If you don’t break the icicles in time, Nex will hit 500-700LP damage to whoever she targeted in the ice square. She will also occasionally yell “contain this!” She will make a 6x6 square of icicles around her and disable your protection prayer and freeze you if you get caught in it. Once she is damaged enough, she will call upon the final mage, and once killed, she will call upon the power of Zaros.

This is her final phase, the curse phase. She is vulnerable, but dangerous, so keep on your toes. Pray MAGE on this phase. She will cycle between these three prayers (In this order): Soul Split, Deflect melee, no prayer. She switches prayers every ~7 seconds. If she has deflect melee up, do NOT use melee, since her deflect is super powered, and will hit up to 300LP in damage. Once she is nearly red-barred, she will use the wrath prayer and die. You have 1-2 seconds to get out of the range of it or else you will be hit 100-300LP damage.

5.2 – The four mages

The four mages are Fumus, Umbra, Cruor, and Glacies. They have a special defence that reduces the max hit of ALL attacks to 600. There is no way to remove this.

Fumus – The smoke mage, located in the northwest.

Umbra – The shadow mage, located in the northeast.

Cruor – The blood mage, located in the southeast.

Glacies – The Ice mage, located in the southwest.

5.3 – Strategy for killing Nex

Here is a map of Nex's area.

You start out on the purple X in the middle. Nex spawns on the dark red dot.

The tanker stands on the purple "T" until the cough goes away.

You cycle through each stage, in the order numbered.

The Ancient symbols stand for each mage. Fumus, Umbra (black), Cruor, and Glacies

gettingready.png

5.3.1 – The Smoke phase

The Smoke phase is the first phase she will go to when she spawns. Pray MAGE and attack with range on this phase. Right when she spawns, make sure you all unload your D claw, or offensive weapon specs on her. You want to get through this phase as quickly as possible. She will create a cough, which can only be removed by isolating yourself 2 squares away from any other player. This is countered by everyone standing on the square that Nex spawns on, and one person standing to the west to tank the cough. She infects whoever is farthest away from her, and the cough will spread on its own from there. The way to counter this is for everyone to death dot on her spawn point and have one person tank it. The reason for this is that the cough lowers your stats and takes away 2 prayer points every second. The tanker only tanks the cough for a couple seconds, and then gets back to fighting Nex. Make sure by the time you finish specing Nex, you are far enough away from her, because she will suck you in close to her and damage you while disabling your prayer. Once she is damaged enough, kill Fumus and go to the northeast section of the chamber.

5.3.2 – The Shadow phase

The shadow phase is the second phase, and requires the most strategy and attention. Pray RANGE and attack with range on this phase. She will spawn black shadow spots on the ground over about half the players (random) in the room. You have literally one second to get off the circles or get hit for 3-600LP damage. Her damage factor is decreased the farther you are away from her, so keep a good distance, but make sure you're still attacking her. Also, she will melee you if you get too close, so lure her away if necessary. Once she’s damaged enough, kill Umbra and group together in a small area in the southeast corner of the room.

5.3.3 – The Blood Phase

The blood phase is the longest phase Nex has. Pray MAGE and use melee on this phase. Make sure everyone is together, and do NOT spread out. She will randomly mark someone as a sacrifice about 5 times every kill. If she marks you as a sacrifice, run west about 5 squares so she doesn’t hit you hard, and the go right back to the group. If you don’t run, and she marks you, you will be hit for 600-760 LP damage. She will also half the prayer of everyone in the room every time she attacks the sacrifice, regardless if the person ran or not, so keep your prayer relatively low (5-30 prayer points). She will also spawn blood reavers in the center of the room, but keep away from them and stay focused on Nex. Once she is damaged enough, kill Cruor and head west to the southwest corner.

5.3.4 – The Ice phase

The ice phase can be very dangerous if you aren’t paying attention. Pray MAGE and use range on this phase. When she enters this phase, everyone should run and death dot in the square directly north the Glacies. She will target a random player and trap them in a 3x3 square of icicles and freeze everyone inside that square. Whoever is in that area will not be able to move at all, so keep an eye on yourself, as well as your surroundings. When you see this happen, make sure you break an icicle so they can get out, or else the targeted person will be hit for 500-700 damage. If an icicle spawns directly underneath you, your prayer will be disabled and you will be frozen. She will also occasionally create a 6x6 square of icicles around her and freeze everyone within it. You won't be able to move or attack Nex, so make sure you are ready to brew up if necessary. Note that when you are frozen, your deflect/protect prayers will be disabled. Once she is damaged enough, kill Glacies and DEATH DOT on the exact spot where Glacies was.

5.3.5 – The Curse phase

This is the shortest phase, but Nex is still dangerous. Pray MAGE and switch between range and melee on this phase. As soon as she calls on the power of Zaros, everyone needs to death dot in the exact spot that Glacies was standing in. She will cycle through three prayers in this order: Soul Split, Deflect melee, No prayer. She will switch every 7 seconds, so keep note of that. You should melee her when she is using no prayer, and when she is using soul split. Switch to range halfway through the soul split stage, and range the protect melee stage. Make sure you don’t have melee when attacking her in the deflect stage, since her deflect will hit up to 300LP damage. She will constantly switch meleeing people, while using a magic attack which hits everyone in the room. If she is meleeing you, it is up to you whether or not to use protect/deflect melee, but I'd recommend using it. If you don't want to, then switch to your melee armour if you brought any. Right before she dies, she will use the wrath prayer, and you have 1-2 seconds to get out of the range of it. Run north and you should be fine.

6.0 – Spoils

Here is a list of what Nex drops.

[spoiler=Nex's Drops]100% -

Big bones

Melee –

Torva helm

Torva platebody

Torva platelegs

5 pairs of Dragon boots (noted)

150 Mithril full helm (noted)

Rune sword

Ranged –

Pernix Cowl

Pernix Body

Pernix Chaps

Zaryte bow

250 onyx bolts (e)

Mage –

Virtus Mask

Virtus Robe top

Virtus Robe bottom

42 Law runes

42 Death runes

Coins – 19-20k

Seeds –

5 Magic seeds

5 torstol seeds

Misc –

2 Ancient effigies

200 green dragonhide (noted)

50 Avantoe and 50 Dwarf weed (noted)

200 Magic logs (noted)

4,000 Pure essence (noted)

30 Saradomin brews OR super restores (noted)

500 Coal (noted)

30 Rune ore (noted)

75 Frost Dragon bones (noted)

Shield left half, Uncut gems, Half keys, or 100 Silver ore (noted)

20 Green, Gold, Crimson, or Blue charms

(Info from TipIt bestiary, added a few drops I have gotten that weren’t on there)

7.0 – Final note

Do NOT try and kill Nex if you are inexperienced with bossing, or have a bad internet connection. What you risk is up to you, and you can change the gear setups I have provided for you.

This whole guide was written by me, with the exception of the cited images/drop table. I put a lot of effort into this guide, so if you use it, please don't forget to give credit where credit is due :D

8.0 - FAQs

None yet!

9.0 - Credits and thanks

-Thanks to "Sir_Squab" for helping with the gear section

-Thanks to "jettrider" for pointing out mistakes that I made, and clearing things up

50919249.png88558709.png82799603.png35346468.png

Candle_Jack.png

Candle_Jack.png

Max Melee 137 CB

Untrimmed HP cape at 132 combat

5.1 and 5.3 jsut repeat each other. Seems a bit of a waste.

Assume the gear/invetory pictures are on the way along with some explanation?

The getting kill count section is also awfully vague:

Why is titan better than uni?

Why do you/don;t you need ovrl for getting KC?

How does going on a packed world help?

How does going on a packed world make it less safe?

What is this "safe" zone? and where is it? (a map would be good)

Also the team statement could do with some qualifying; just cause she does multi-attacks WHy does it make massing no better than the team size you suggest? (I'm guessing the blood phase more targets = more healing = not helpful?)

Aside from that seems like a good guide.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I personally have heard that, between her soul split, barrage-like attacks including blood barrage, larder teams fail there.

And I can personally testify that you don't need overloads to get the KC. I don't remember my exact setup, something like nomads cape, bss, veracs helm/skirt, karils top, fury, d boots protected me from everything but the ancient mages. When using a super def potion. Note however that I do not have 99 def, I'm pretty sure they didn't attack me when my def was boosted to only 99.

I more or less agree with above poster, it looks like a good guide, but some parts could use more explanation on why.

Also, most boss guides I see not only show the best possible gear, but welfare alternatives. I realize that with Nex, welfare alternatives will be less used/desired, but are there any? Not everyone has a spectral spirit shield for instance.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

I'll add those to the guide and edit some other stuff, thanks for the help :)

This is my first guide, and this is just a draft, so I'll be touching it up and adding things in

Also, you need to have your defence potted in order to make the mosnters unagressive. The mass gear shown is a welfare setup for those who can't afford the gear for small teams, but I'll make that more clear in the actual guide.

EDIT: done :)

More constructive criticism/comments are appreciated, thanks for reading!

Candle_Jack.png

Candle_Jack.png

Max Melee 137 CB

Not sure if you noticed but, 4th line down in your post you spelled Contents "conetents", but you spelled it right on the next line. Not sure if that was for some reason intentional?

0dbe56f8.jpg

99Prayer|99Strength|99Cooking|99Constitution

Hi, I'd like to ask how much use the c rapier is used on Nex herself, or is its use for the minions?

I'm on 180k dungeoneering tokens, and I shall be killing Nex pretty much every chance I get after achieving 80 dungeoneering and the 200k+ tokens, but I am undecided whether I should get a crapier, or a ccbow for that extra punch on her.

I am currently 99 Att/Str/Def/HP/Range/Slayer, 96 Summoning/Herblore, 95 Prayer, 94 Magic, 79 Dungeoneering.

Thanks,

Uzamak1

yep, it's true, Chaotic maul is the best weapon against Nex. But since I'm a bit of a slaytard, I got a rapier, so I just use it on Nex. With this setup that I have, you don't risk rapier if you have protect item on.

You would use a melee weapon on Nex in the Blood and most of the Curse phases, as well as on all the mages.

Personally, I wouldn't get a maul JUST to fight Nex, but if you're going to use it elsewhere, then I say go right ahead!

Candle_Jack.png

Candle_Jack.png

Max Melee 137 CB

Cmaul is better than crapier, and you can't melee the minions I believe

I can confirm that you can melee the minions, in fact if you brought a chaotic weapon it is best to do so for all but the shadow phase.

@KC: The fastest way to get KC is to kill blood reavers in the southern-center part of the room, killing the ancient mage when it spawns. You should replace the defender with a defensive shield such as a DFS so that everything is unaggressive even when not potted (and then you can replace verac's helm with neitiznot to make up for some of the offensive capabilities lost). This way you can just bring extreme attack and extreme strength to the KC and be safe. A good habit to get into is bringing a yak and one scroll, scrolling the frozen key once you get in, then summoning a steel titan for the rest of the KC.

Gear:

-You don't need that many super restores, you only need to drink if you use more than 2 brew doses, so replace some with super prayers to last longer

-Divine > Elysian > Spectral > EEK > DFS

-Replace d boots with Ranger Boots > Infinity Boots

-More bolts

-Onyx i > Rangers i > Rangers ring

1st phase: wrong on the cough, it hits the person farthest away and spreads from there. If you have one person stand south or east and run south with it, no one else will get it. Forgot to mention this is where you unload all your claw specs. Also forgot to mention to stay out of the middle starting about the 5th or 6th hit.

2nd phase: forgot to mention that range damage is decreased the farther away you are from nex and to lure away if meleed

3rd phase: you should be meleeing this phase so ignore the Blood Sacrifice attack. Everyone should keep their prayer points as low as possible without hitting 0 so that the prayer drain is minimized. The damage is negligible if any. Forgot to mention to unload a spec if it's recharged by this point.

4th phase: covered the main points adequately but not in depth

5th phase: a common tactic is to DD on top of Glacies for this phase, also needs to mention dealing with melee attack vs mage here. On top of all that, needs to mention that Nex restores 6000 LP at the beginning of this phase (doubling remaining lp)

+ tons of other subtleties

2496 Completionist

What jettrider said... there's a lot of small details this guide is missing or are really inaccurate

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

Thanks for pointing out those points, jet. I'll fix them as soon as possible :)

I haven't hunted Nex in a long time, since there aren't many good teams, and it's a huge supply sink, but I'll be sure to update the guide to have accurate and helpful information. I'll try and go more in-depth on some points. I guess I was just assuming people already knew the basics, which I'll fix.

Candle_Jack.png

Candle_Jack.png

Max Melee 137 CB