Soccer is the Greatest Sport

Faux

The problem with the three major American sports (Football, Baseball, and Basketball) is that they rely too much on PAUSES.

Football: The primary objective is to stop the ball to the ground; which causes a pause. The foundation of the rules is terrible and thus everything else will fall too.

Baseball: Switch people in and out. In and out. In. And out. Dear God, what is this a fancy rich person's game? Oh wait it was.

Basketball: Doesn't rely on pauses too much but towards the end of the fourth quarter a timeout EVERY TEN SECONDS. What the hell.

Yes, soccer is better than those three sports. Are there better sports than soccer, probably. But I can name three that are worse.

i'd take pauses if it means more bursts of action play, instead of several snorefest moments in one period. just because there's no "time outs" in soccer doesn't mean there isn't time wasting. diving, substitution, and just full blown turtling add up more than the "pauses" you're complaining about

though i agree, baseball is actually slower than soccer. but i'm not claiming one is better than the other.

either way that's why hockey is better isn't it? (edit: relative to pauses, not in general) no stoppage of play in substitution means the game doesn't slow down and you don't have to watch a bunch of players play exhausted

it also has hard hits. only team sport that allows fights, and real fights at that. it's a man's game, while a soccer player is bent over in half because he got tapped in the shoulder ;)

btw basketball has limited time outs, so you can't just keep calling time outs every 10 seconds. when was the last time you watched a game?

The problem with the three major American sports (Football, Baseball, and Basketball) is that they rely too much on PAUSES.

Football: The primary objective is to stop the ball to the ground; which causes a pause. The foundation of the rules is terrible and thus everything else will fall too.

Baseball: Switch people in and out. In and out. In. And out. Dear God, what is this a fancy rich person's game? Oh wait it was.

Basketball: Doesn't rely on pauses too much but towards the end of the fourth quarter a timeout EVERY TEN SECONDS. What the hell.

Yes, soccer is better than those three sports. Are there better sports than soccer, probably. But I can name three that are worse.

i'd take pauses if it means more bursts of action play, instead of several snorefest moments in one period. just because there's no "time outs" in soccer doesn't mean there isn't time wasting. diving, substitution, and just full blown turtling add up more than the "pauses" you're complaining about

though i agree, baseball is actually slower than soccer. but i'm not claiming one is better than the other.

either way that's why hockey is better isn't it? (edit: relative to pauses, not in general) no stoppage of play in substitution means the game doesn't slow down and you don't have to watch a bunch of players play exhausted

it also has hard hits. only team sport that allows fights, and real fights at that. it's a man's game, while a soccer player is bent over in half because he got tapped in the shoulder ;)

btw basketball has limited time outs, so you can't just keep calling time outs every 10 seconds. when was the last time you watched a game?

And now you're claiming hockey is the best sport. It is all about opinion but your lack of any appreciation for football is annoying. You seem to be ranting on unsupported arguments.

There are many sports shown in Europe, football has a large world following not just in Europe but South America, Asia, Africa and even in North America. It is definitely, the undisputed best sport in the world if you define it by which sport has the most viewers. That is probably the easiest way to define it as to have viewers, a sport has to be interesting to those people. Apart from the Olympics, I don't think there is any other sport out there which brings more countries together in a peaceful competition allowing for cultural awareness and rivalries. The simplicity of the sport as others have said, has given the game such worldwide appeal. Have fun going to the park to play an American football game with three friends. When you grow up playing the sport with friends, you gain an appreciation of the sport.

Your personal opinion on the sport is totally valid, it's an opinion, but it doesn't mean it is better than any other opinion.

I personally am not the biggest football fan unless there is an England game on or a cup final. Personally I prefer motorsports. That doesn't mean they are better, it just means they appeal to different people in different ways.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

And now you're claiming hockey is the best sport

maybe read my post before you shove crap in my mouth?

either way that's why hockey is better isn't it? (edit: relative to pauses, not in general)

btw, the argument that just because more people watch soccer means it's the greatest is a load. maybe you think McDonald's makes the best burgers because it sells the most burgers I guess.

If you wan to to talk, technically it is. (Strangely, I actually had this train of thought a few days ago). It all depends on what you mean by best. In food, is it taste, how much it fills you up, healthiness, speed, availability or presentation? A small plate of food from a posh restaurant that chefs would call the best to me is terrible food because it doesn't do the basic thing food should which is to fill you up. It may taste and look good but fails on other points. Somewhere like McDonalds fills most criteria to a high grade which has allowed it to be popular worldwide. Depending on your definition, it can be classed as the best indeed.

So how would you define the best? You may say this definition is rubbish, but you haven't put forward your own definition. As I say, all opinions are valid, but surely the majority opinion has more chance to be right than the minority.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

maybe the food analogy wasn't the greatest idea since you're english

i don't believe that there's a definite greatest sport because i think it's cultural. and i'm definitely not obnoxious enough to think *my* favourite sport is better than others.

my point is > soccer is not the greatest sport

and not > soccer is not the greatest sport, hockey is

Oh look, dipping into cultural stereotypes to fix your own analogy. Skill.

As I said, it depends on what you define at the best or greatest. Some sports are cultural, but football has had such a worldwide appeal that is has crossed a lot of cultural barriers. It has become so dominant due to it's ease to play and simplicity in playing. I would assume it is played by more schoolchildren across the world than any other sport as well as being watched by more. Does that make it the best? I would personally use that definition, but you haven't put one forward. You have said your opinion but no reason to argue against those who think it is the best. What makes it not the best without using your opinion that you don't personally like it?

zqXeV.jpg

:(

That was hard to watch again

RIP Michaelangelopolous

u can control my tip it account, but youll never control how fine i am!

This is by FAR my favorite song:

I love N_odie and would never edit his posts! I love Rainy_Day too <3 And also Cowman_133. <33 Oh, and Laikrob is a going to hunt me down and kill me like a pest kangaroo if I reveal how awesome she is. I owe tripsis skittles. DarkDude feels like he's missing out. This is my siggy! - n_odie Rainy_Day MINE! - n_odie Rainy_Day And meol shouldn't feel left out. Oh, and Y_Guy is a noob awesome

maybe the food analogy wasn't the greatest idea since you're english

i don't believe that there's a definite greatest sport because i think it's cultural. and i'm definitely not obnoxious enough to think *my* favourite sport is better than others.

my point is > soccer is not the greatest sport

and not > soccer is not the greatest sport, hockey is

Wow you're denseness should come with warning labels.

People are saying you're point is soccer is not the greatest sport but you are just dismissing other peoples reasons, claiming it as fact and giving no qualification as to what aspect of a sport you deem to make it great.

All your replies just totally ignore these issues in favour of making random slurs on cultural basis and trying to imply the other people are thick when they clearly have a well thought out logical post.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

don't call people dense when you can't even use "you're" properly. stick to playing runescape?

i made several points in my first post that Danqaz didn't even bother to read. seriously, he just asked me "What makes it not the best without using your opinion that you don't personally like it?" when i've been answering that throughout the thread which he ignored. people shouldn't expect a serious reply from me if it's just rage post over my comments.

Yeah well this is going nowhere so I'm locking it.

Topic summation: All sports have their pretentious fans, soccer is no exception, england won the rugby world cup in 2003, etc etc...

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti