Soccer is the Greatest Sport

Faux

anyone else annoyed by this attitude?

just because it's the only team sport worth watching in europe and south america doesn't make it the best.

american football, basketball, hockey, and baseball also has "beautiful moments" people brag about so much in soccer.

North America has NFL, NHL, NBA, MLB to enjoy while europe has... 11tybillion different soccer leagues, each led by 1-2 major teams that can afford the best players. and by this i mean major leagues, not minor leagues or else i would've included MLS in my list

Diving is bs. Yeah it exists in another sports, but it's not as blatant and accepted as it is in soccer

Offsides is the most annoying thing ever. not to mention the terrible calls because of this rule. look at NHL's offside rule in comparison which is set up much better.

Slow pace. combination of a few things like 45 minute periods, few substitutions, offside rule...

Ties. seriously, game still ends in draws? yeah i know it's not that way in the playoffs, but good god if you're gonna make the regular season games last an hour and a half at least give a decisive winner

i'm not saying soccer is a bad game, because it's enjoyable; granted i really only enjoy watching the Euro and WC. but it's not by any form of imagination "better" than another major team sports.

Bit of a rant...

Tbh I've never really come across this attitude. Of course people who play it and watch it a lot will probably consider it their favourite sport but I don't hear that many people claiming it's the best.

just because it's the only team sport worth watching in europe and south america doesn't make it the best.

Rubbish, never watched rugby?

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

Soccer for me isn't that fun to watch at all.

Like you said, slow paced. I really hate it when they're all the way up at the other teams 18 yard box (that's what you call it right?) and then they pass the ball back to their goaltender... Seriously, take some shots.

Also, when one team is leading, you can basically just stop watching at 80 minutes. The last 10 is usually filled with subs, diving, fake injuries, etc. Kills the game IMO.

If it was better reffed to come down hard on diving and time wasting, then it'd be better.

Staurolite.png

Its this sort of naive american view tht gets me lolin.

1) Football is one of many team sports worth watching in europe depending on your tastes. We have rugby and cricket amoung many others as well as our many non-team sports such as tennis and snooker and horse racing etc.

2) If anything its americans that have an elitist view that American football is the best and is better than "soccer", as proven by the fact they usurped the name.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

1) Football is one of many team sports worth watching in europe spending on your tastes. We have rugby and cricket amoung many others as well as our many non-team sports such as tennis and snooker and horse racing etc.

2) If anything its americans that have an elitist view that American football is the best and is better than "soccer", as proven by the fact they usurped the name.

I have to agree. The OP seems more biased than the people he's trying to rant about.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

The only reason why its proclaimed the 'greatest' sport is because of the massive worldwide following. A lot of people around the world are deeply passionate about soccer.

Personally, I don't enjoy it much but I never really gave it a chance. Hell, I enjoy baseball and a lot of non-Americans have the same complaints of it being a boring sport. I guess it all comes down to tradition and culture. That damn diving has to stop though. :wink:

Even as someone who's supported Man United my whole life (third gen supporter), I hate watching so-called neutral games. Especially the World Cup. I much prefer rugby league and the NFL for some neutral entertainment.

Meh... It's like people who argue over whether LoZ:OoT is better than FF7, or CoD's better than Halo or any other FPS. Can't people just accept it's all down to preference? Does there even need to be a greatest sport/game/band/music genre/anything?

You seemed reasonable during the World Cup this summer.

I haven't heard these sort of things before, not what i can remember anyways.

People grow up with different sort of sports. And there's only room for so much in each country.

My countries major sports are football, ice hockey, floorball, golf (and sports fishing - by it's numbers). I have tried watching american sports and played some as well. NFL games are too slow, i've never enjoyed watching or playing basketball, it's fun playing baseball but not watching. I've given these a try, but that's the way things are. And of course, it depends on what you grow up with.

Football: If the offside rule didn't exist, you would score 5 million goals each match and defensive tactics would become non-existent.

Slow pace? I don't understand this. Perhaps Serie A is a bit slow than the rest of the major leagues, but it is more focused on tactics.

45+45 is great, i could never stand watching a sport where you have commercials every 5th minute. 3 subs makes it a lot more tactically challenging than if you could swap 11's.

0, 1, 3 points are a great system. If it were only 0 and 3 the leagues would be boring, there would be such massive gaps that it wouldn't be any fun to follow anymore.

This is how the game has been since it formed basically, and there's no reason at all to change it.

Economic rules are coming in soon and soon there will be 5 refs instead of 3.

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

1) Football is one of many team sports worth watching in europe spending on your tastes. We have rugby and cricket amoung many others as well as our many non-team sports such as tennis and snooker and horse racing etc.

I have to agree. The OP seems more biased than the people he's trying to rant about.

Yeah, I agree as well...

The only reason why its proclaimed the 'greatest' sport is because of the massive worldwide following. A lot of people around the world are deeply passionate about soccer.

Personally, I don't enjoy it much but I never really gave it a chance. Hell, I enjoy baseball and a lot of non-Americans have the same complaints of it being a boring sport. I guess it all comes down to tradition and culture. That damn diving has to stop though. :wink:

This. "Best" is subjective, but if you had to pick the best sport in the world, soccer (or football) would be one of the best contenders, because several billion people like it .

Diving is one of the worst aspects of it; that, and at least during the world cup, they don't do instant replays "because it slows down the game." Ok, that's nice, but when people start LOSING GOALS because the referee WAS LOOKING THE OTHER WAY, that sounds like a problem to me. Personally, I haven't watched much of the world cup, but I don't like how it's set up.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

It's funny, I actually don't see this as a rant so much but more so asking the question why do so many people consider Soccer the greatest sport? Which as an American is the opinion we most often assume when we think of sport fans outside of the United States and Canada.

tFtfA.jpg

But the reason football is so popular around the world is because it's easily portable. All you need is a ball and some jumpers for goalposts.

On a recreational level, football is quite popular in most countries, but on a professional level, only Europe and some parts of south American compete internationally.

@All, yeah another thing i hate about soccer is the turtle where you're up 1 goal and you can pass around the ball on your own end to waste time and there's no rule that punishes this.

1) Football is one of many team sports worth watching in europe depending on your tastes. We have rugby and cricket amoung many others as well as our many non-team sports such as tennis and snooker and horse racing etc.

naive? you're the one assuming i'm american

and get real, rugby and cricket are nowhere near the popularity of soccer. i'm talking about major league sports, there's a reason why i didn't include MLS in my list

and get real, rugby and cricket are nowhere near the popularity of soccer. i'm talking about major league sports, there's a reason why i didn't include MLS in my list

You'd be surprised, there's probably more cricket fans than a lot of the american sports. Soccer most likely does have the most supporters, but if people enjoy it, why not watch it?

Personally I do enjoy watching soccer sometimes, but it does irk me a bit and by the end of the world cup I was thankful that I wouldn't feel the need to watch anymore.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

u can control my tip it account, but youll never control how fine i am!

This is by FAR my favorite song:

I love N_odie and would never edit his posts! I love Rainy_Day too <3 And also Cowman_133. <33 Oh, and Laikrob is a going to hunt me down and kill me like a pest kangaroo if I reveal how awesome she is. I owe tripsis skittles. DarkDude feels like he's missing out. This is my siggy! - n_odie Rainy_Day MINE! - n_odie Rainy_Day And meol shouldn't feel left out. Oh, and Y_Guy is a noob awesome

I think it's kind of a stupid attitude when people say, "X is the greatest sport ever."

Different sports are great for different reasons. End of story in my book.

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

I have encountered this attitude, but it's definitely not just soccer.

I'd definitely prefer to watch rugby over soccer as well, that's a man's game :D Loved playing when I was younger.....so much fun.

My main argument with soccer is the diving....the fact that faking injury is openly encouraged to the point it's a genuine tactic is upsetting to me. I also find the sport to be fairly boring, I think the field is too large and there are too many people on it. I think it would be a much more interesting game if they played 8 on 8 and cut the field length down 20% - the individual players who are more skilled would be able to flourish more and it would be much more exciting.

The reason it comes off as so many soccer fans saying "it's the greatest sport" is because it's by far the most accessible sport in the world. It can literally be played anywhere and with no equipment except a ball. Most sports require learning more complicated rules or buying equipment, or a specific climate...but soccer can be simple enough that it can be played by anybody.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Soccer is the greatest sport is all on how its defined, if you want to define it by which sport has the most followers then it would be the greatest sport in the world.

In my own opinion soccer is boring to watch, I played it for 11 years and its a great sport to play, but I just don't emjoy watching it. A possible reason for this is because I don't know the players/teams playing as well as a perosn following the team would though.

Also you'd be suprised at how many cricket fans there are around the world, its just that they aren't from the Western countries that people tend to base everything off. India has a massive population and cricket is the most popular sprt there.

Doomy edit: I like sheep

The problem with the three major American sports (Football, Baseball, and Basketball) is that they rely too much on PAUSES.

Football: The primary objective is to stop the ball to the ground; which causes a pause. The foundation of the rules is terrible and thus everything else will fall too.

Baseball: Switch people in and out. In and out. In. And out. Dear God, what is this a fancy rich person's game? Oh wait it was.

Basketball: Doesn't rely on pauses too much but towards the end of the fourth quarter a timeout EVERY TEN SECONDS. What the hell.

Yes, soccer is better than those three sports. Are there better sports than soccer, probably. But I can name three that are worse.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Doesn't matter, they're still shown a lot on the television. Cricket doesn't have a particularly big following at the county level ("leagues") but there are national matches all the time (unlike football), which have a very big following. Rugby has a big following too.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

It's probably my favourite sport (apart from some motor-racing) to watch and definitely my favourite to play. It's the sport with the biggest following here without a doubt.

I couldn't care if people prefer baseball, rugby or American football, it's all personal preference anyway. Whatever floats your boat.

It isn't in the castle, It isn't in the mist, It's a calling of the waters, As they break to show, The new Black Death, With reactors aglow, Do you think your security, Can keep you in purity, You will not shake us off above or below

Scottish friction

Scottish fiction

I think the main difference between football and American football/rugby (both codes) is that in the latter, you more or less *have* to attack at every play. You have to get the first down, or make as much progress with the six tackles as possible for territory, or to set up a try.

In football it's perfectly fine for Stoke City to stick 10 men behind the ball and put no one beyond the half way line to grab a 0-0 draw against United or Chelsea. If you tried doing that in other sports, your defence would physically be smashed off the field.

Don't really agree about beautiful moments only happening in football either. Pakistan winning the T20 World Cup against a backdrop of political anarchy. New Orleans winning Superbowl XLIV four years after Katrina. Sid Crosby scoring in OT for Winter gold. That's just in the past couple of years...