Barrows with Ancient Magick

Helm_Lardar

I'll jump straight in, since fancy introductions only delay the plunge:

I have aroudn 60 constitution, 68 magic (soon to be 70) and 50-ish prayer. I also have around 65 defence. Link to the highscores is in my profile, of course, and my strength lefvel is 60 (that doesn't appear there).

Since reading around, I've heard that it's possible to do barrows using ancient magic. I've done desert treasure, recipe for disaster, and in search of the myreque (but not in aid of the myreque-should I?). However, I've got no idea what the right way to go about that is. I don't have a huge budget, but here is my rough list of equipment that I can envisage myself taking:

Dagon'hai robes.

Amulet of Glory

Ring of Wealth

God cape.

Barrows Gloves

Fremmenik Boots 2/3 or Mystic Boots

Ancient staff.

God book. I'm not certain about that (it's saradomin and I can't afford another) but I could use a dragon square shield if that would make a big difference.

The plan with spells would be to use ice burst and blood burst.

How should I proceed? How many prayer potions would I need a run? Would I need to take a melee weapon, such as a dragon scimitar? Should I switch out some of my equipment for a higher prayer bonus? Should I take (X)? Is there a specific order I have to kill the brothers in? Am I too newby to be able to do well against them at all?

Enlighten me pl0x.

I'm not an efficienado.

Eh, I'll try to give you an idea of what to expect/what you'll need, but it'll be difficult for me to put myself in your shoes, so to speak - I use ancients at barrows with maxed gear and levels. Anyway, let's see:

The actual fighting will be very straightforward - you just freeze the brother, step away, and kill. I imagine that they'll become unfrozen at least once during the kill, so make sure you put plenty of space between you and the brother (especially Dharok, obviously). I would say you should mage Karil, too (he has no magic level, so very little magic defense as a result). You might want to consider bringing dragonhide and a magic shortbow (rune arrows) for Ahrim. I'm fairly positive you'll hit much better with that than melee, and I believe it's the best ranged weapon available to you.

As for gear, your DPS will suffer a lot without one of the magic-boosting necklaces from Dungeoneering. If possible, consider purchasing one. Use mystic boots, not Frem boots.

You'll need a LOT of prayer potions - maybe bring five or six per trip?. You should try to stay as long as possible without banking, but I can't see you doing more than two or three chests per trip, reasonably. If you stick to it, you should be able to make a decent amount of money, but it's hard for me to gauge how good it will be at your level. Intuition tells me that you'd be better off doing something else.

You know, there are probably tons of guides that will give you better advice than I am. You're pretty much going to be doing barrows the old, traditional way. Check the AOW.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

So I understand your ranged level is low, for your levels it would be most efficient to get 70 ranged and combine ice spells with a black salamander, since you can fire diagonally with a black salamander, and it has mediocre to high damage output.

But nonetheless, your method will work, but it isn't very cost efficient and neither very fast, you should get 82 magic for ice blitz before you start ancient'ing the whole barrows. But if you wanna try it either way, here is what to do ;)

Use your equipment, get a guthix book if you cannot afford the unholy or mage book. Or if you like dungeoneering you might get a Tome of Frost.

Start with Karil, use a melee weapon or magic, you might have trouble with magic at your level, i'd use a melee weapon, maybe lend a pair of claws. But the most important part is to pray through Karil

Continue on with Ahrim, i reckon dagonhai robes has magic defense, if not, get a body and bottom with magic defence, pray magic protect on Ahrim as well, and again use a melee weapon since you have a low ranged lvl.

Then do the rest of the melee brothers with ice spells, you have to wait behind the coffin when the brothers are temporarely are immune to freeze effects.

In the tunnels you might want to heal with blood spells, and eventually drink a prayer pot if you meet either ahrim or karil.

My lame drops:
6 Effigys
1 D Med - 1 D Dagger
1 Verac's Helmet - 1 Guthan's Platebody

Wear all the magic boosting stuff you can, including a ring of wealth.

Using ice spells is horribly inefficient. I would suggest you use snare and the highest combat spell you can.

You would be best to put on rune armor for when you go into the tunnel. It'll give you some margin of error for when you are looking for your brother.

And be aware of the safe spots in the crypt. They are in the north-northeast tunnel, the north east room, the east north-east tunnel, the south south-east tunnel, the east south-east tunnel, and the west south-west tunnel.

Runescape player since 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

Okay, useful advice so far. I am really planning to do it for fun, rather than as a "serious moneymaker" (hah, the idea of runescape being a day job).

What you've said is interesing. I am seriously considering getting an arcane necklace-namely a blast, since that is (I consider) reacheable within my patience for dungeoneering. Sadly I can't afford a new god book although if I get any pages at a discount or from a clue scroll I might consider buyign the rest (unless it's zamorak and I can sell it to buy a whole Zaros book, say).

I don't currently plan on getting 70 ranged, because...well...I'm not a ranged man.

Would lunar robes work better than dagon'hai given I need some defence? I have a set, although I would'nt be using the amulet, staff, and ring.

I'll use an ardougne cape to get a better prayer bonus. I'll think about doing in aid of the myreque.

I'm not an efficienado.

Wear all the magic boosting stuff you can, including a ring of wealth.

Using ice spells is horribly inefficient. I would suggest you use snare and the highest combat spell you can.

You would be best to put on rune armor for when you go into the tunnel. It'll give you some margin of error for when you are looking for your brother.

And be aware of the safe spots in the crypt. They are in the north-northeast tunnel, the north east room, the east north-east tunnel, the south south-east tunnel, the east south-east tunnel, and the west south-west tunnel.

Using ice spells is perfectly fine. Less efficient for his level, yes, but far from inefficient.

OP, bring rune for the tunnels, but otherwise keep the setup you have. Use red d'hide and a magic shortbow for Ahrim.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

Okay, but...out of interest, why ranged rather than melee? If I'm bringing rune anyway, doesn't that make more sense?

Thanks for all the responses, guys :) . I don't particularly want a non-specific barrows guide, since there are several and they all say the same thing: Use Ahrim's Robes, Zamorak Book, Magic cape, etc. None of which I have :rolleyes: .

I'm not an efficienado.

^Eagle eye is better, in this case.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

Instead of wearing a RoW the entire time, you could wear it just while looting the chest.

Which would allow you to wear a Seers Ring, Explorer Ring, or similar ring while you're actually in combat.

Instead of wearing a RoW the entire time, you could wear it just while looting the chest.

Which would allow you to wear a Seers Ring, Explorer Ring, or similar ring while you're actually in combat.

I don't think the loss of one inventory space makes up for 2+ magic bonus (lunar) or 1+ prayer bonus (explorer).

My lame drops:
6 Effigys
1 D Med - 1 D Dagger

I don't think the loss of one inventory space makes up for 2+ magic bonus (lunar) or 1+ prayer bonus (explorer).

You hardly need that 1 inventory space when you are ancienting, tbh.

Plus you could wear Seer's Ring (+4) or Seer's i (+8) or Dragonstone i (+6 as well as defenses). If you got none of those, you could wear Ring of Life, which can save you if you lag or d/c.

You hardly need that 1 inventory space when you are ancienting, tbh.

Plus you could wear Seer's Ring (+4) or Seer's i (+8) or Dragonstone i (+6 as well as defenses). If you got none of those, you could wear Ring of Life, which can save you if you lag or d/c.

I don't think he would afford those, but a RoL is a very valid point indeed.

My lame drops:
6 Effigys
1 D Med - 1 D Dagger