an offical player-assigned bounty system?

ixfd64

I recently paid out a 200k bounty for the death of a looter. This got me thinking: what if RuneScape had an official bounty system?

Bounties were actually quite common in the early days. However, they were often taken with a grain of salt because a lot of people would not pay them as promised. Here, an official system would make it impossible to renege on a bounty.

To post a bounty, the player must speak to Mandrith, who used to oversee the Bounty Hunter activity. Bounties would be subject to the following rules:

1. The bounty must be a value between 5,000 and 1,000,000 GP.

2. The player who the bounty is placed on must have visited the Wilderness within the last two weeks (to prevent useless bounties being placed on people who never venture into the Wilderness)

3. Bounties have an expiration time determined by the player (1 to 168 hours).

4. The player must deposit the bounty with Mandrith, and it cannot be withdrawn until the bounty has expired.

5. Players can have a maximum of ten bounties on their heads.

6. F2P players can have five active bounties assigned at once, with ten for members.

7. All bounties on a person's head are cleared if the person is killed by another player in the Wilderness.

8. Players are not told if they have a bounty on them.

If a player kills someone with a bounty on their head, the game wouls notify them. For example:

You were clearly a better fighter than Timelord2523.

Timelord2523 had 3 bounties on their head! Speak to Mandrith in Edgeville to claim your reward.

A bounty system would make PvP a little more exciting for some. It's also a nod to the post-December 2007 players who enjoyed Bounty Hunter.

What does everyone think?

ixfd64.png

ARENAscape:

Baratus [AS] max hit: 166 with Moon Battle Hammer

ixfd64 [AS] max hit: 116 with (untitled spell #2)

It could work, but how would you find out whether someone had a bounty on them? If you just talked to the person with the bounty on them, you could tell them to bank their items, kill them, and then claim the bounty.

Bounties are intended to be anonymous; you're not supposed to know if the target has a bounty on them until you've killed them, unless you're the one that assigned the bounty.

ixfd64.png

ARENAscape:

Baratus [AS] max hit: 166 with Moon Battle Hammer

ixfd64 [AS] max hit: 116 with (untitled spell #2)

I quite like the idea.

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

• 2 weeks later...

I like it and I dislike it all at once... I can remember when I had an RS Bounty on my head back on 06' when I was running Clan Dark Ages... What I don't like about your idea is the fact that you don't let a person know if they have a bounty on their head. Even so, if they did have a bounty on their head there should be a Billboard posting bounties on it and a person can take the job or not. If they take the job only that one person may take it at once. If they don't act on it in a certain time someone else may take the bounty job. If this is the case if the bounty is logged out and not in the wilderness then the bounty is either dropped or on hold. Quite frankly this is ridiculous because even if you put a bounty on someones head and they don't know that there is one on them.... Chances are they morethenlikely won't go to the wilderness for awhile unless it's to pk them... I think if you put a bounty on ones head that person has a higher chance of gaining higher amounts of wealth off a dead person whom they just killed. If your gonna place a bounty on ones head they won't go unless it benefits them as well. If one has a bounty on their head they should be getting some gold piece drops for a successfull kill. Almost like Red Dead Redemption when you kill alot of deputies.

-PEACE,

Saiga Tatsumi

Peace Homies! Photographer by Day! Sword Saint by Night!

• 3 months later...

I like this though I think it needs one more rule to ease abuse, something along the lines of this player has to of killed you within the past week.

Otherwise people will just consistently put bounties up against people who they have never met in order to get them hassled (eg putting bountys on ranked people in penguin clan chats so they can't boot pkers to stop them tracking spotters) or famous players.

Also another couple of rules to avoid abuse probably needed:

1) You can't place a bounty on a friend/clan mate and it tracks people removed from ur list for like 2 weeks say to further limit abuse. Also can't earn bounty from killing them.

2) Can't post repeat bountys so if you put a bounty on Bob and he gets killed within the day you cannot put a bounty on him again straight away.

Also I prefer Saiga's implementation of you have to read a board and take the job and once the job is taken only that one person can do it; would limit entire clans hunting down someone they know has a bounty on them.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

What's stopping me from just asking someone to let me kill them for the bounty, and i'll split half with them? Also, massive inflation from the money coming into the game.

lolwut?

How does it cause inflation at all?

Player A puts a bounty of 1mil on Player B. Player A has given 1mil to the system.

Player C kills Player B and wins the bounty. Player C has gained 1mil.

No inflation, just a transference of wealth.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Sy He doesn't understand how it works he is probably thinking of Dual-Contract Kills. Like when you kill Corporeal Beast with a clan and put on Loot-Share.

Peace Homies! Photographer by Day! Sword Saint by Night!