Extremely Technical Question

Da Pirates

Looking at the picture of the box and the recommended buy with items the box only had HD-AV inputs and outputs aka the cable with like 5(?) different coloured headers that is the hd version of the normal red yellow white av cable; but no HDMI ports.

So either need hd-AV cables or adapters (i assume they make them but dunno) that convert hd-av into hdmi

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Looking at the picture of the box and the recommended buy with items the box only had HD-AV inputs and outputs aka the cable with like 5(?) different coloured headers that is the hd version of the normal red yellow white av cable; but no HDMI ports.

So either need hd-AV cables or adapters (i assume they make them but dunno) that convert hd-av into hdmi

I think I just solved my problem

BR BR BR? HUEHUEHEUEHUE

Why would you want to use HDMI with it though, there's almost no difference between those component (5 colors) and HDMI. In my way of thinking using a converter isn't necessary, just use the cables that come with it. I have one of those HD PVR and it'll record in whatever you put.

Why would you want to use HDMI with it though, there's almost no difference between those component (5 colors) and HDMI. In my way of thinking using a converter isn't necessary, just use the cables that come with it. I have one of those HD PVR and it'll record in whatever you put.

My TV when using HDMI has a specialized resolution that looks a LOT better than 720P. It's like "1360 * 780" or something like that vs component only having 480, 720 and 1080i

BR BR BR? HUEHUEHEUEHUE

I see. I guess you have a tv that doesn't really follow the standards.

The thing I think is that there's a chance that even with this converter you won't be able to get that special resolution.

From experience with Xbox 360s, Component looks far worse than HDMI. You get ghosting issues, while with HDMI you either get a perfect signal or no signal.

I don't have that issue with my Xbox. Maybe yours is too old?

My TV when using HDMI has a specialized resolution that looks a LOT better than 720P. It's like "1360 * 780" or something like that vs component only having 480, 720 and 1080i

480i = 640 x 480

720p = 1280 x 720

1080i = 1920 x 1080

What is the make & model of your TV?

1080 programming would look sharper on the set you describe, while 720p programming would be stretched to fit (unless you are both letterboxing and pillarboxing). 1080 programming will look sharper on most any 720p set, however.

I suspect sound will be the bigger issue with what you are doing. How are you going to get anything but two channel stereo out of that eBay converter? :-?

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

From experience with Xbox 360s, Component looks far worse than HDMI. You get ghosting issues, while with HDMI you either get a perfect signal or no signal.

If anything logic would say HDMI should be worse than component. Since component is transmitting one data stream via 1 wire into 1 socket specifically for using that data stream. Where as HDMI is all 5 data streams crammed into 1 wire and dealt with by 1 socket; which would allow for more corruption of the data/signal within the wire and more issues with decoding it back to light and sound outputs. Kinda like how in the old days Scart produced ghosts when Component Av didn't.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

If anything logic would say HDMI should be worse than component. Since component is transmitting one data stream via 1 wire into 1 socket specifically for using that data stream. Where as HDMI is all 5 data streams crammed into 1 wire and dealt with by 1 socket; which would allow for more corruption of the data/signal within the wire and more issues with decoding it back to light and sound outputs. Kinda like how in the old days Scart produced ghosts when Component Av didn't.

Except HDMI is a digital signal, so it either sends a perfect picture, or nothing. Analogue is vulnerable to static and other types of interference. That's why gold plated and monster HDMI cables are a scam.

Seriously, try using VGA on a HD monitor. It'll look like crap.

Not sure why you come back at me with that, I already know that HDMI signal is much better than component. Maybe you get ghosts with component but I never had that problem, and HDMI has never failed me either.

To that VGA example in the post above, I can confirm what you are saying. I replaced my graphics card, and am forced to use the DVI to VGA adapter that came with it, since my DVI to HDMI adapter doesn't work with this new card. mini-hdmi to hdmi cables are also too expensive for me, they're not worth paying $50 for the better picture so while I wait for their price to go down, I am stuck with the ugly VGA picture on one of my HD computer screens.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure why you come back at me with that, I already know that HDMI signal is much better than component. Maybe you get ghosts with component but I never had that problem, and HDMI has never failed me either.

To that VGA example in the post above, I can confirm what you are saying. I replaced my graphics card, and am forced to use the DVI to VGA adapter that came with it, since my DVI to HDMI adapter doesn't work with this new card. mini-hdmi to hdmi cables are also too expensive for me, they're not worth paying $50 for the better picture so while I wait for their price to go down, I am stuck with the ugly VGA picture on one of my HD computer screens.

Component is transmitting digital signals that are different from HDMI because the red, green, and blue are separated, but the quality is pretty much the same.

EDIT: Ah, okay, because you are using the monitor(and I am an idiot), HDMI is the best way to go. I would look for a recorder with a port though. But those tend to be more expensive then just buying those cables you didn't want to buy...

Steviej.png

My account spent most of the last 10 months "locked"

Except HDMI is a digital signal, so it either sends a perfect picture, or nothing.

No, that's not how digital works. With bad digital signals you may notice macroblocking, but it doesn't have to be (and often isn't) "all or nothing"

Analogue is vulnerable to static and other types of interference. That's why gold plated and monster HDMI cables are a scam.

Both are susceptible to interference, its the fault correcting that digital allows that is different than analog. Also not sure what you're trying to say about gold plated cables... MONSTER brand cables are a "scam" in the sense that they work just as well as (but not better than) other HDMI cables that adhere to the same specs...

Seriously, try using VGA on a HD monitor. It'll look like crap.

Try getting a different HD monitor. It'll look better.

Quit comparing apples to oranges.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

I've seen 3 different HDTVs and 2 monitors have their signal quality improved by switching to HDMI/DVI from VGA or Composite. And how is it comparing apples to oranges? We're comparing cables to cables; the fact that they have a different transmission method doesn't stop them from being cables.

I've seen 3 different HDTVs and 2 monitors have their signal quality improved by switching to HDMI/DVI from VGA or Composite. And how is it comparing apples to oranges? We're comparing cables to cables; the fact that they have a different transmission method doesn't stop them from being cables.

If you were comparing cables to cables, you'd find the composite cables to be of superior quality because they use a thicker wire and have less impedance.

That's not what you're doing though.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪