Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Sip

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
70 replies to this topic

GuidesForScapers
[ Display Name History ]

GuidesForScapers

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 683 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
  • RSN:Sir Gudi

But just in case it isn't...

Doesn't mean there aren't other words that can be used.

True, but i dislike the one that is used. So i rant about it. Why do people not understand the point of the rant section?

http://forum.tip.it/...ing-guidelines/

The Rants forum is a place for you vent your RuneScape frustrations, but that does not mean that you can post incoherent one-sentence rants. Similar to how General Discussion topics need to supply a platform for discussion and RuneScape Bugs & Suggestions topics need well thought out ideas, your rants also need to be worthy of discussion. Rather than saying, "I don't like this, it sucks," you need to present a valid argument for your rant and back it up. When creating your topic, imagine how people would respond. Would they have something to say at all? If you can think of valid responses and discussions, the chances are that you have a valid topic/argument. As an example, if you want to rant about an aspect of the RuneScape game, first describe that aspect. Then explain what you think about it, why it negatively affects the game and/or community, and maybe even provide a solution to the problem or describe what Jagex should do to fix it.

Rather than saying, "I don't like this, it sucks," you need to present a valid argument for your rant and back it up

To "sip" something literally means to take a little drink of a liquid...

I don't see how this warrants a rant.

It annoys me, so i rant about it.

Yup.

And I think personal preference of syntax hardly constitutes a valid reason.

According to Runescape you drink it 4 times, so when playing Runescape and clicking it, it is drinking. Not sipping.

Valid argument provided.

But wats a synonym.

Not personal preference, to say you 'sip' a potion is incorrect. There is no 'sip' option. Synonym or not, it is technically incorrect to use the word 'sip' in the context of using the 'drink' option in Runescape.

Yes, i do personally prefer 'drink' to 'sip', but that is not the valid argument i provided for this rant.
Posted Image

Legalize baby punching. Tax and regulate it. Punch babies erry day.

Dragonlordjl
[ Display Name History ]

Dragonlordjl

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,443 posts
Whatever Jagex says is correct is what is correct. It's their world and their rules ;..;
Posted Image

Zaaps1
[ Display Name History ]

Zaaps1

Troll General

• Members
  • 13,035 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Zaaptastic
  • RSN2:Zaap Cannon
  • Clan:DGS ☺ Harpies@@@

True, but i dislike the one that is used. So i rant about it. Why do people not understand the point of the rant section?

The Rants forum is a place for you vent your RuneScape frustrations, but that does not mean that you can post incoherent one-sentence rants. Similar to how General Discussion topics need to supply a platform for discussion and RuneScape Bugs & Suggestions topics need well thought out ideas, your rants also need to be worthy of discussion. Rather than saying, "I don't like this, it sucks," you need to present a valid argument for your rant and back it up. When creating your topic, imagine how people would respond. Would they have something to say at all? If you can think of valid responses and discussions, the chances are that you have a valid topic/argument. As an example, if you want to rant about an aspect of the RuneScape game, first describe that aspect. Then explain what you think about it, why it negatively affects the game and/or community, and maybe even provide a solution to the problem or describe what Jagex should do to fix it.

Rather than saying, "I don't like this, it sucks," you need to present a valid argument for your rant and back it up

Yup.

According to Runescape you drink it 4 times, so when playing Runescape and clicking it, it is drinking. Not sipping.

Valid argument provided.

But wats a synonym.

Not personal preference, to say you 'sip' a potion is incorrect. There is no 'sip' option. Synonym or not, it is technically incorrect to use the word 'sip' in the context of using the 'drink' option in Runescape.

Yes, i do personally prefer 'drink' to 'sip', but that is not the valid argument i provided for this rant.

Then you'd better go out and edit away every instance you said to "kill" a monster or player. You can't "kill" a monster, you can only "attack" it.

GuidesForScapers
[ Display Name History ]

GuidesForScapers

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 683 posts

Yup.

Valid argument provided.

But wats a synonym.

Then you'd better go out and edit away every instance you said to "kill" a monster or player. You can't "kill" a monster, you can only "attack" it.

k brb
Posted Image

K4ylan
[ Display Name History ]

K4ylan

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,924 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P
  • RSN:Harpy Priest
  • Clan:Harpies
You can perform a drinking action on the potion, which will result in a sip, similar to how you can attack a monster, leading to a kill.

GuidesForScapers
[ Display Name History ]

GuidesForScapers

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 683 posts

You can perform a drinking action on the potion, which will result in a sip, similar to how you can attack a monster, leading to a kill.

It is never referred to as a sip by Jagex, but attacking a monster or player until it reaches 0lp is frequently referred to as 'killing' it.

Drinking is to take a liquid into the mouth and swallow, which is what the drink action makes your character emulate. Not sipping, drinking.
Posted Image

K4ylan
[ Display Name History ]

K4ylan

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,924 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P
  • RSN:Harpy Priest
  • Clan:Harpies

It is never referred to as a sip by Jagex, but attacking a monster or player until it reaches 0lp is frequently referred to as 'killing' it.

Drinking is to take a liquid into the mouth and swallow, which is what the drink action makes your character emulate. Not sipping, drinking.

Drinking a portion of a liquid is frequently referred to as sipping it, similar to attacking a monster until it reaches 0 is referred to as killing it. Drinking/sipping can look identical, but because we can't see the vial, we cannot determine this.

GuidesForScapers
[ Display Name History ]

GuidesForScapers

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 683 posts

Drinking a portion of a liquid is frequently referred to as sipping it, similar to attacking a monster until it reaches 0 is referred to as killing it. Drinking/sipping can look identical, but because we can't see the vial, we cannot determine this.

Frequently referred to as sipping, but not by Jagex.
Posted Image

RSBDavid
[ Display Name History ]

RSBDavid

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,113 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Davidd

+1.

I Mean if this is really a ground breaking concern, modify the applet to say sip.

Posted Image

[Software Engineer] - [Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

Nomrombom
[ Display Name History ]

Nomrombom

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,736 posts
  • RSN:Nomrombom
verb /sip/ 
sipped, past participle; sipped, past tense; sipping, present participle; sips, 3rd person singular present

Drink (something) by taking small mouthfuls
- I sat sipping coffee
- she sipped at her tea

verb /driNGk/ 
drank, past tense; drinking, present participle; drinks, 3rd person singular present; drunk, past participle

Take (a liquid) into the mouth and swallow
- we sat by the fire, drinking our coffee
- he drank thirstily

If we look at the size of a vial, herb, secondary, etc. we can determine that, relative to the size of the avatar, a vial or potion is fairly small. Thus, it can be sipped OR drunk. Either term is correct.

Posted Image
PM me for fitocracy invite

Dragonlordjl
[ Display Name History ]

Dragonlordjl

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,443 posts

verb /sip/ 
sipped, past participle; sipped, past tense; sipping, present participle; sips, 3rd person singular present

- I sat sipping coffee
- she sipped at her tea

verb /driNGk/ 
drank, past tense; drinking, present participle; drinks, 3rd person singular present; drunk, past participle

- he drank thirstily

If we look at the size of a vial, herb, secondary, etc. we can determine that, relative to the size of the avatar, a vial or potion is fairly small. Thus, it can be sipped OR drunk. Either term is correct.

Posted Image

/thread
Posted Image

GuidesForScapers
[ Display Name History ]

GuidesForScapers

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 683 posts

verb /sip/ 

- I sat sipping coffee
- she sipped at her tea

verb /driNGk/ 

- he drank thirstily

Posted Image

Sip is still incorrect as i have previously explained. Repeatedly defining sip doesn't change that.
Posted Image

Dazzuh
[ Display Name History ]

Dazzuh

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,449 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Dazzuh
  • RSN2:Nub Hybrid
I can't believe how much this matters to you.

Currently not active on RuneScape.

dazzuhsiggyfinal.png

GuidesForScapers
[ Display Name History ]

GuidesForScapers

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 683 posts

I can't believe how much this matters to you.

It honestly doesn't, but it makes me giggle that people are getting so involved in the worthless argument :D
Posted Image

Articultural
[ Display Name History ]

Articultural

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 516 posts

When people say "pot" I say "I don't smoke".

The word "sip" just makes me rage. Everyone has words that piss them off, i was just unfortunate enough to get landed with one that people tend to say >_>

Know what makes me rage? Arrogant, belligerent PKers who think they actually matter in the grand scheme of things.

Also, this. +9001 times this.

The grand scheme of TIF? Someone, please, fill me in.

I was more referring to how so many PKers (this may or may not include you, I really don't know) constantly whine at Jagex for updates, even though Jagex spent the better part of a year trying to accommodate them. PKers make up a pretty small portion of active members, so to see so many updates go to a minority of players who are mostly ungrateful is frustrating, to say the least.

So you're whining about how Jagex listens to other players that whine to them and not you?

Posted Image

Dragonlordjl
[ Display Name History ]

Dragonlordjl

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,443 posts

The word "sip" just makes me rage. Everyone has words that piss them off, i was just unfortunate enough to get landed with one that people tend to say >_>

Know what makes me rage? Arrogant, belligerent PKers who think they actually matter in the grand scheme of things.

I was more referring to how so many PKers (this may or may not include you, I really don't know) constantly whine at Jagex for updates, even though Jagex spent the better part of a year trying to accommodate them. PKers make up a pretty small portion of active members, so to see so many updates go to a minority of players who are mostly ungrateful is frustrating, to say the least.

So you're whining about how Jagex listens to other players that whine to them and not you?

In essence, yes. :mellow:
Posted Image

GuidesForScapers
[ Display Name History ]

GuidesForScapers

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 683 posts

He has a valid point, there haven't really been many non PvP or quest updates in the past few months.
Posted Image

Articultural
[ Display Name History ]

Articultural

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 516 posts

He has a valid point, there haven't really been many non PvP or quest updates in the past few months.

Game Updates Fremennik Sagas 01-Jun-2011
Game Updates Death Hats, Draynor and Upgrades 25-May-2011
Game Updates Lava Flow Mine 16-May-2011
Game Updates Capes of Distinction 03-May-2011
Game Updates Items Kept on Death Changes 19-Apr-2011
Game Updates Holly and Hawthorn (Easter 2011) 19-Apr-2011
Game Updates Clan Camp, Support and Web Pages 12-Apr-2011
Game Updates Livid Farm 04-Apr-2011
Game Updates A Clockwork Syringe 28-Mar-2011
Game Updates Ring of Wealth, Shanties, Trolls and Dungeoneering 15-Mar-2011
Game Updates Bonus XP Weekend! 11-Mar-2011
Game Updates Artisans Workshop 08-Mar-2011
Game Updates Elemental Workshop IV 01-Mar-2011
Game Updates God Wars Dungeon – The Nex Big Thing 21-Feb-2011
Game Updates Attack of the WildyWyrms! 21-Feb-2011
Game Updates Skill Bonanza: Urns, Ashes and Shortcuts 15-Feb-2011
Game Updates Prisoner of Glouphrie and Gnome Graphical Rework 09-Feb-2011
Game Updates The Wilderness and Free Trade Return! 01-Feb-2011

Updates since the return of free trade, there have been 2 quests, 2 PvP updates and over 10 other updates.

Posted Image

Dragonlordjl
[ Display Name History ]

Dragonlordjl

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,443 posts

Game Updates Fremennik Sagas 01-Jun-2011
Game Updates Death Hats, Draynor and Upgrades 25-May-2011
Game Updates Lava Flow Mine 16-May-2011
Game Updates Capes of Distinction 03-May-2011
Game Updates Items Kept on Death Changes 19-Apr-2011
Game Updates Holly and Hawthorn (Easter 2011) 19-Apr-2011
Game Updates Clan Camp, Support and Web Pages 12-Apr-2011
Game Updates Livid Farm 04-Apr-2011
Game Updates A Clockwork Syringe 28-Mar-2011
Game Updates Ring of Wealth, Shanties, Trolls and Dungeoneering 15-Mar-2011
Game Updates Bonus XP Weekend! 11-Mar-2011
Game Updates Artisans Workshop 08-Mar-2011
Game Updates Elemental Workshop IV 01-Mar-2011
Game Updates God Wars Dungeon – The Nex Big Thing 21-Feb-2011
Game Updates Attack of the WildyWyrms! 21-Feb-2011
Game Updates Skill Bonanza: Urns, Ashes and Shortcuts 15-Feb-2011
Game Updates Prisoner of Glouphrie and Gnome Graphical Rework 09-Feb-2011
Game Updates The Wilderness and Free Trade Return! 01-Feb-2011

Updates since the return of free trade, there have been 2 quests, 2 PvP updates and over 10 other updates.

I was referring to the period of updates following the removal of Free Trade/PKing.
Posted Image

Nomrombom
[ Display Name History ]

Nomrombom

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,736 posts
  • RSN:Nomrombom
Just because Jagex doesn't mention it doesn't mean it's wrong. There is no option to buy anything from another player, but you don't say "trading 5.5m for a saradomin sword" do you? "using" isn't useful on a skills necklace, but you use them, right? You kill monsters with no "kill" option. There is nothing saying "barrage player x" but you barrage them anyway. I know it's kind of a joke argument, but it's invalid nonetheless.
PM me for fitocracy invite

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users