OS X Lion

Laura

If I had a mac-compatable Machine - Yes.

I was looking into it for my Interview with apple and it actually amazed me quite a bit. Though I hope its not bat-[cabbage] difficult to navigate. Installed iTunes last week, and APPARENTLY it cant find my burning device and WMP could.

Popoto.~<3

Not sure if I will yet.. It's tempting to stay up-to-date but I'm also iffy about the whole iOS integration into desktops and how that will play out. I also plan to get a new MBA or MBP after the next refresh since my current MBP is getting up there in age getting a little sluggish in it's performance.

tFtfA.jpg

I heard there were a lot of bugs with the current GM release and many people were hoping for a revision. However, I will be doing a clean install of Lion tomorrow, providing their server doesn't crash.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

Stuck with Leopard until I get a new MBP in a year. :(

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

8,325th to 99 Firemaking 3/9/08 | 44,811th to 99 Cooking 7/16/08

4,968th to 99 Farming 10/9/09 | Runescaper August 2005-March 2010

Tip.it Mod Feb. 2008-Sep. 2008 | Tip.it Crew Sep. 2008-Nov. 2009

So far so good. Some of the little things are nice. Not really liking Launchpad, but it's entirely optional. Some of the gestures seem awkward to me now, as they changed that up quite a bit. I wouldn't really say it's any 'faster,' but I don't really know since I'm using an SSD. The iOS autocorrect made it on here and that's great, imo. :)

hopesolopatriot.jpg

Nice, well maybe tonight or something I'll be getting a copy of it for myself. Did you notice a difference in battery life when going SSD? MBP I presume? What kinds of changes were made to the gestures? Does the Magic Mouse still work the same if you own one?

Cheers

I think i'll probably wait for their first update of Lion before I install it, my Mac is getting slow and I don't want to screw it over with a perhaps buggy operating system.

2257AD.TUMBLR.COM

Nice, well maybe tonight or something I'll be getting a copy of it for myself. Did you notice a difference in battery life when going SSD? MBP I presume? What kinds of changes were made to the gestures? Does the Magic Mouse still work the same if you own one?

Cheers

I have the old aluminum MacBook before they switched all the unibodies to Pros.

MacBook 5,1

2.4Ghz C2D

NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB

6GB RAM 1067 MHz DDR3

Not much of a battery increase. Coconut Battery says that my battery, at 237 load cycles, is at 89% heath (3652/4100mAh), so it could be attributed to battery degredation. If you plan on getting an SSD, make sure you turn off a few things like putting the HDD to sleep & Spotlight indexing. I was used to the four-finger flick up to show the desktop, that's now a five-finger spread. Four-fingers down is exposé single application (no more option for all applications :().

Not sure if there's a way to turn it off, but you can't hold down letter keys anymore for simulating repeated presses. (i.e.; no more 'oooooooooooooooooooooooooooo' just by holding your finger there). Rather, holding pops up a menu for accented characters like on iOS. Not sure how I like it yet.

I used the Magic Mouse for about two days and got my money back, so I can't help you there. :P

hopesolopatriot.jpg

MacBook 5,1

2.4Ghz C2D

6GB RAM 1067 MHz DDR3

Hmm, why the 6GB of RAM? There are no tri-channel C2D CPUs AFAIK.

RIP TET

original.png

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

MacBook 5,1

2.4Ghz C2D

6GB RAM 1067 MHz DDR3

Hmm, why the 6GB of RAM? There are no tri-channel C2D CPUs AFAIK.

I didn't have enough money for another stick of 4GB. And at the time, it was not known whether 8GB was supported in my model. Officially, 4GB is the 'maximum' amount supported for my model.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

I went ahead and upgraded. Always forget I have a modified dock until I upgrade to newest OSX. Didn't like how it changed some of my settings around like icon size, and the whole reversed scrolling is going to take a bit to get use to along with the rearranged nav bar in finder with how it displays drives at the bottom now. Mission control is probably my favorite new feature as of yet.

tFtfA.jpg

Not planning to upgrade to Lion anytime soon, for one I heard they've dropped support for Rosetta? Plus I'm pretty content with Snow Leopard at the moment and I'm also too cheap to upgrade :P

SLwQsg1.png

"Unfortunately, the real world isn't the same as a fairy tale."

I went ahead and upgraded. Always forget I have a modified dock until I upgrade to newest OSX. Didn't like how it changed some of my settings around like icon size, and the whole reversed scrolling is going to take a bit to get use to along with the rearranged nav bar in finder with how it displays drives at the bottom now. Mission control is probably my favorite new feature as of yet.

Yes, I went ahead and turned off 'natural' scrolling. It might be nice with just a touchpad, but it's confusing otherwise.

The Library is hidden by default now. If you want to unhide it:

chflags nohidden ~/Library/

hopesolopatriot.jpg

Yes, I went ahead and turned off 'natural' scrolling. It might be nice with just a touchpad, but it's confusing otherwise.

The Library is hidden by default now. If you want to unhide it:

chflags nohidden ~/Library/

I was able to find the library fairly easy to change my dock again. Currently I'm not having issues with the resume on start up as it's appearing to eat up my system memory and draining my battery twice as fast. Do you know how to permanently uncheck the "Resume windows when logging back in"?

edit: Is it possible to downgrade back to Snow Leopard?

tFtfA.jpg

Did you do an upgrade or a clean install? The easiest thing, IMO, would be to copy your Home folder onto a backup disk. You could also do restore from Time Machine backup.

You might find this thread helpful. Mind you, it was with the GM seed of 10.7, so some things may have changed.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

I just updated. Unfortunately my disc drive isn't reading my Snow Leopard disc (my superdrive is basically shot, only reads about 1-5 CDs) so I'm downloading a torrent of the disc image and am hoping I can boot that from my External.

The features of Lion are nice, only downside is if I want it all to run smoothly I'll have to max my memory out and I'd rather not spend the money.

tFtfA.jpg

Did a clean install of Snow Leopard, but now all my backup data on my external can only be access on a mac running 10.7 or high so I'm trying to figure out a way to virtualize lion to get my crap back.. I feel like I'm going to be at this for a while.. :wall:

tFtfA.jpg

Unless Lion uses a different filesystem, which I find unlikely, then there should be no reason why they don't give you access to the raw data.. Saw this thread on another forum, I dunno if it applies to you though. You could always find an program that allows windows to read and write from HSF+ drives, rip the data to your computer, then use a NTFS or FAT32 formatted drive, stick the data you ripped from the HSF drive onto that and then transfer it back to your mac.

RIP TET

original.png

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche