censoring words

krymrgn

Hello-

Personally - I don't really care if I see the F word- but my kids play this game and lots of others do and now there isn't any censoring of words anymore- it sucks- this used to be a family game and it can't be called that anymore if kids can see anything on the chat anymore- sure I can moderate my own children's screens but what about other parents that don't play and don't realize the runescape allows swearing now?

I think it is a real downer that runescape allows that now and I think it's wrong- what happened to family gaming? This was the one place I could count on-

I really hope you do the right thing- people can use silly words to voice frustrations- it doesn't have to be words that are so offensive- even "noob" is offensive because (though some people think I'm silly for that ) but everyone was new once- why mess with them and call them names-

but that's besides the point- noob is different than the f word and worse- sexual words that my kids don't need to see-

Please runescape- you make me want to kill my subscriptions and tell my kids no- they aren't a family friendly game-

any others want to start a petition?

Kerry Morgan

aka

Rowan Ash

There is an option to turn the censor on or off at will.

Make ur kid have the censor turned on, problem solved.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Hi there- guys- / peeps - lol- thanks I know about the censor on off thing- and I've got my kids to turn it on I was just thinking about the people who don't know about it- maybe there is a way to let people know somehow-

though non english would be difficult- that I can understand- but having to turn someone "off" when it shouldn't be there in the first place is like- wrong to me- I mean- I just wish it would have stayed family friendly- but the english thing is probably why they did it- so I'm glad for those people who needed it for that reason-

it is SOOOOO being abused though- the things people say that kids could see is just wrong- it's like rated R movies that little kids are reading- language from- it's worse then TV-

anyway- I'm an old fohgie/old schooler too- lol-

thanks-

Rowan

If you don't like what they're saying turn it off and keep it off. What they're saying shouldn't bother you when it's off because you can't see it anymore. I don't see how this is an issue. Like he said, when you create an account it's on by default you have to manually turn it off to see inappropriate language. I'm assuming you or your kids didn't play when this system wasn't in place and all words were censored. When all words were censored people just found ways to get around it and everyone could see the inappropriate language. It's actually better that they can just say it and not have to get around a filter but still not have everyone see it if they don't want to/are bothered with it.

Dashes - aren't - necessary - at - all - in - anything - you're - saying. It's incredibly annoying reading what you're saying when you replace a period with a dash.

I don't believe a petition is really need. In the past, the censor at one point was so bad that all you could literally say was cabbage. Eventually this was reverted back to the normal censor. However, over time, players found ways to evade the censor with misspellings, special symbols, etc. Later on, the censor became almost a bit crazy to a point where you can't even tell someone you were on the phone because of concerns of on-line predators (mind you, I am NOT trying to scare you as this risk is ever present EVERYWHERE on the internet). In addition, those of us who speak languages other than English, including myself, found it difficult to communicate while being censored every few words. :S When the option to turn off the filter came out, there was a lot of fear that swearing would be more escalated than ever. Surprisingly enough, that wasn't the case, and swearing has more or less remained at the same level as it was before, thankfully and a bit unfortunately since one would hope that people would try to avoid using foul language so much.

You, as a parent, and your children, are encouraged to use the report abuse button if you feel that a person is using abusive language. Even without have the censor on, if someone is using foul language excessively and/or using it to be abusive towards others, you can still report them. :)

Also a side note: you can express emphasis without using dashes. Try using some of our post editing features (bold, italicize, and underline). :)

To start with, I don't believe this to be a targeted family game, but that is how I interpret it, others will see differently. As people have mentioned previously, there is an option to turn the filter on/off, which I believe is defaulted to on (something I'd have to check), and if this is the case and a person didn't know about it, there'd be no issue at all.

As a separate, but somewhat related point, kids who are 13+ (which is the age to play the game really), are exposed to swearing and much worse in schools. This is said from the perspective of a teacher who has to try to reign in the kids.

tl;dr: Not a family game.

[bleep] OFF HOW ARE U SO [bleep]ING LUCKY U PIECE OF [bleep]ING SHIT [bleep] [bleep] [wagon] MUNCHER

• 2 weeks later...