First Barrow Trip

Dusk Souls

[spoiler=My current Equipment]BarrowEquipment.png

I am getting a little bored with Runescape for the moment, so I thought, hey why not a bit of bossing (I consider the Barrow Brothers to be a boss monsters); the thing is that due my lack of founding I am a little worried that I might not be entirely prepared for the trip.

Apart from the equipment on the screenshot, I have a full rune set (with med helm though) a Dragon Dagger p++, and in case I need to range I also have a full green d'hide body and I can get an adamantite cross bow and perhaps emerald tipped mithril bolts.

for healing I have a good supply of lobsters and a few swordfishes in my bank, I also have a super set.

So what do you think? Reckon I should give a shot or train a bit more?

Dusk%20Soul.png

First, melee is not recommended for the melee brothers (4 out for 6 of them are melee)

seconds, you need to raise your magic up so you can do wind wave to atleast be somewhat effective against the brothers,

use prayer potions at your defence level so you don't take a beating

in short, train some more and get better equipment

Stats[hide]Z_e_n_o.png[/hide]

What about Slayer Dart? I heard is a cheaper (level and money wise I think) option to fight against the brothers... that would still mean to rise my slayer level a bit though.

Dusk%20Soul.png

ahh yes, slayer dart i forgot about that

slayer dart is pretty good in barrows (i personally used it way back then)

if you wish, you could get 55 slayer and use the money gained to afford better gear and potions

i also recommend in your situation to alch the alchable drops for some extra profit and magic experience

im not an expert at barrows, but i think you should do part of the myreque series to unlock the back route to get to barrows

there is a problem i forgot to mention earlier, ancient magicks would spead up your trips to barrows by teleporting to canfis via your house (50 construction needed)

il post more in edits if i forgot anything

Stats[hide]Z_e_n_o.png[/hide]

I guess I could train magic and slayer at the same time, I have an unfinished basilisk task, and according to Tip.it magic calculator, I have enough rune in my bank to level to 55 magic, though I am not sure if the basilisk are the best option to train magic at my level...

Dusk%20Soul.png

In short, yes, it is entirely possible to kill all 6 barrow's brothers with melee at your level. Would it be recommended? No. When I made my first trip to the Barrows (c2006), I was similar to your level and managed to melee all 6 brothers. It was terribly inefficient, even for my level. I used the below setup, but you have considerably better options. Regarding funding issues, I would suggest selling your dragon boots for rune, as that would save you a considerable amount of money (~160k) for a drop of just +2 strength.

rs1.pngrs2t.png

You will need to pray against all 6 brothers. It will take you a long time to kill each brother, and will require several prayer pots. Should you decide to melee, it would be in your best interest to obtain a dragon weapon (preferably scimitar, but longsword would also work). For melee you will also want to bring a pure set (super attack + strength). Bring a spec weapon (you mentioned you have a dds) and wear prayer/strength boosting armor. I would recommend a prayer pot per brother, you may need more. You will also want a high healing food (monkfish/shark) filling the rest of your inventory. The order you kill the brothers is irrelevant, just be sure to prayer the appropriate protection prayer. Verac will be the hardest to kill, as he will hit through prayer.

If instead you choose to mage, you would want to wear at a minimum mystic top and bottom while casting water blast. Mage the four melee brothers (dharok, verac, guthan, torag) and the ranged brother (karil). Bring a melee primary + spec weapon to kill the mage brother (ahrim). Prayer needs may be higher than above, I honestly don't know how much prayer you will consume. Fill the rest of your inventory with high healing food. You may find it useful to bring rune plate + legs to switch to in the tunnels.

Be sure to bring a spade and a 1 click tele regardless. You may also find it useful to wear a ring of life. Again, killing the brothers at your level will take a considerable amount of time and will not likely provide any meaningful reward. That said, it is fun and good luck with your future bossing.

2004_artemis.png

I think I will try to train my slayer level to 55 at the least before I attempt the brothers, just hopping I get better asigment than basilisk >_<

Dusk%20Soul.png

First, melee is not recommended for the melee brothers (4 out for 6 of them are melee)

seconds, you need to raise your magic up so you can do wind wave to atleast be somewhat effective against the brothers,

use prayer potions at your defence level so you don't take a beating

in short, train some more and get better equipment

Just want to clarify something here.

Melee is not recommended at lower combat levels. Once you're 99 melees though, I believe full void melee with a chaotic rapier and overloads is the fastest way to do barrows (When I use that method I can take a dose of overload before fighting the first brother and get out of the tunnels after looting the chest just as the overload runs out which makes for roughy 5 minutes per chest).

99 HP, Attack, Strength, Defence, Summoning, Ranged, Herblore, Prayer, Agility, Magic, Slayer, Fletching, Fishing, Woodcutting, Mining, and Thieving.

Jagex'd out of my untrimmed hp cape on 6/14/2011.

Ok, my plan then is doing monkey madness (to get a dragon scimmy), train slayer to 55 and magic to whatever I can reach with my current runes (I think to 60...) and then do the barrows trip.

Dusk%20Soul.png

When I first started barrows, I was around your level (I was level 72, was 5 and a half years ago) and I used fire wave (59 magic I think?) while wearing full mystic/glory/firestaff.

I can't remember what shield though. Try using antifire shield?

In my inventory I took a magic shortbow, rune arrows, dragon longsword, spade, 4 prayer potions , runes for fire wave, rest was food, bllue d'hide top + legs (for you, take green d'hide)

I got a verac helm on my 8th trip (was 2.75m at the time) so this is the method I would suggest.

When I first started barrows, I was around your level (I was level 72, was 5 and a half years ago) and I used fire wave (59 magic I think?) while wearing full mystic/glory/firestaff.

I can't remember what shield though. Try using antifire shield?

In my inventory I took a magic shortbow, rune arrows, dragon longsword, spade, 4 prayer potions , runes for fire wave, rest was food, bllue d'hide top + legs (for you, take green d'hide)

I got a verac helm on my 8th trip (was 2.75m at the time) so this is the method I would suggest.

Its a good thing nothing new has been added to the game in those five years since you did it that would provide a better method...

Wait wut?

Trolling by giving good advice since April 2011.

The Blog - Currently Cleaning Herbs

Bladewing.png

The problem is that it's going to take a lot of time and money to get a full run of 6 brother kills + tunnels, to the point that it's not profitable anymore.

I suggest you get at least the following:

55 slayer, slayer staff, 500 casts of magic dart OR 62 magic, air staff, 500 casts of wind wave.

A combination of mystic, monk's robes and god vestments (from treasure trails). In general, magic and prayer-boosting gear. Don't worry about defence, at your level you want protect prayers all around. Dagon'hai robes are good if you can use them.

Basically, use protect prayers and magic dart on all brothers but Ahrim and range Ahrim, using red dragonhide and a magic shortbow or rune crossbow, your choice.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

His magic level is 1 which means his high magic defence armour is nigh useless; his defence level is high. You won't melee him fast.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted