The Fantastic Time Travelling Tales of Archi

archimage_a

Greetings one and all. Unlike most roleplaying games the Game Master(me) will be doing most of the playing, however, you guys will get the opportunity to interfer by suggesting things and taking advantage the updately 'Advisory Council' Decisions, posted at the end of each update.

Crusader Kings doesn't favour this particularly(3 hours modding and I got nowhere...most of that time was debugging and waiting for copy and paste operations, as well as searching for what random string of numbers X meant), but EU3 Divine Wind, Victoria 2 and Hearts of Iron 2/3(not sure which yet) are better suited to mods so :thumbup:.

...Or at least I should be better suited after I have manually modded from CK(Crusader Kings) to DW(Divine Wind) and DW to V2(Victoria 2) and then V2 to HOI2/3 (Hearts of Iron 2/3).

Crusader Kings: 1066-1091: The Beginning

[hide]

The Backstory

[hide]

Hearts of Iron 2: 1949-1938-1066: The Whole World in His Hands

The year was 1946(1949 in Game Terms but for the sake of the video). Moroccan Stealth Jets, armed with Atomic Bombs, were pounding Prussia, the United Kingdom and Japan almost daily.

The last coalition had failed to stop Morocco taking the British Isles, the the Eurals and a large chunk of India. Now, with their armies poise to carry on into Japanese China and Prussian Greenland, as well as currently pushing up through Prussian Mexico, there was little the allies could do but wait, launch the occassional rocket, and pray that their Nuclear Weapons program would somehow yield results.

The front runner, The United Kingdom, had had their Nuclear Reactor destroyed after thier first strike against Morocco. Morocco had got the bomb shortly afterwards and proceeded to destroy Boston, the United State's Atomic Heartland, before withdrawing back to attack Russia and Sicily, destroying both of their atomic weapon's programs and annexing their states.

With the Prussian homeland firmly in enemy hands there was little the government could do...

But one man had a plan...Or, to be more specific, two men had a plan. To be EVEN MORE specific, three men had a plan. But the first two men's plans were rapidly derailed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABDm2JcnTPs&feature=related

But while Einstein(Man one) went back to 1924 (1933 in game) to stop Hitler(Man two), to stop him signing the 1928(1937) Non-Aggression pact with Morocco, Archi looked through the Sequence Calculations in more detail. He quickly saw that Morcco was still unstoppable, even with the Man of Peace out of the picture. Einstein must have known this...And yet he had gone back to remove him anyway...Could the Great Prussian Genius - not quite as smart as al-Harshi of Morocco, or James Chadwick of the Former United Kingdom, but still one of the greatest scientific minds of a generation - Finally be losing it?

Perhaps the grief of having Berlin, Ulm and Nuremburg Atomically Wiped from the face of the globel HAD been too much.

Archi decided what he had to do. Einstein would be too unstable to take the news that he was insane, so he would have to play along, wait until he had left for the night, and go back even further...Back to before the Conquestia, back to when Catholism was still the dominate culture in Europe...If it ever was, Prussian and the United Kingdom said it was, Morocco, Russia and Sicily said it wasn't...there wasn't much truth one way or the other (What with Italy being Muslim and The Holy Land Orthadox. Catholism only existed in Britian and Prussia)

He would go back to 1066. He would see Germany grow strong enough to resist the Moroccan Nemesis when they innevitable won their Conquestia of Iberia.

And so, a pistol in his belt and a rucksack full of clips over his back, he zapped back to January First 1060, just north of Lubeck, his birth city. Here he found not Catholic or Muslims, but some strange 'Pre-Christian' dancing around fires and celebrating the trees...That had to be stopped for starters.

Soon enough, with a pile of dead Pagans to back up his divine powers, he took control of a small village.

Although he had the advantage of almost 1,000 years of military technology in his hand, he only had so many bullets, so needed allies. He began converting the Pagans, and by September 1966 he was ready to start his uprising. He marched at the head of the proto-German army, laying waste to a vast hoard with his 'divine powers', coming to the City of Lubeck, and demanding an immediate surrender. Three dead Knights, two dead Advisors and one dead Chief later, he got his demand.

Two months he let the savages teach the other savages the ways of Christendom...but they didn't get it. There was only one thing for it...What that was we don't know, he was promptly smacked in the head with a large stone and developed a strong amnesia, remembering only the first 10 years of his life, and the last two weeks...enough to know he was the Count of Lubeck, and it was his mission to convert the savages of this land, and to fight the Muslim Hoard...

Unfortunately for us, that didn't help set him apart from anyone else from that time period :rolleyes:

[/hide]

The%20Beginning.png

December 1066. Lubeck. Provincial religion: Pagan. King: Catholic, King Archi Von Alaric.

The Vengeful, Proud, Reckless man, suited equally to studying books and clobbering heads.

The%20Beginning2.png

The Very First thing he needed was a wife...All the other men had one, so he needed one.

The%20Beginning3.png

While he had originally taken an interest in her sister, who's lips were well formed...as well as being five years younger...but, while his messanger ran across Europe, another snapped her up. The Duke of Brugandy, the two Sister's Father, decided that he must have meant Constance and so gave his blessing.

When Count Archi first saw her he almost left her at the Altar to personally kill the Duke of Brugandy for sending his...Thing...in place of the nubile woman he had so generously asked for. But, Proud overcame Recklessness, he could not allow this to spoil the day that had taken so many weeks to organise. He got a veil, and held his head high throughout the entire ceremony.

Soon after it was over and he travelled south to Brugandy to find out the meaning of his slight...offically his Honeymoon...though the Pagans had no idea what that was so he just rolled his eyes and said not to touch any of his things.

The Duke refused to even see the little upstart Count, and soon Archi is in a local brothel...The Prussian way to deal with all problems...possibly explaining why they lost the war, he found himself thinking, not entirely sure which war, or who the Prussians were, but he remembered he had thought the thought and so it remained.

The%20Beginning6.png

On his way back home he meet a messanger sent from Lubeck, apparently the Count of Kalmar Lan had offered an Alliance...He had no idea where that was, so turned it down...As it turned out the right thing to do.

The%20Beginning4.png

Norway and Sweden he had heard of at least...though not sure from where. He called for the finest map and was given a very basic plan of the hill fort he was in.

He sent one of his servents away to buy a map from one of the neighbouring provinces.

The map returned, along with an offer of Vassalisation from Germany. Archi jumped to his feet and immediately agreed, startling everyone in the room.

The%20Beginning7.png

The King of Germany sent one of his Courtiers, Edwin, to help Archi...Edwin was throughly unremarkable, though, since he couldn't very well get rid of him, he made him a Marshal, something Edwin was overjoyed at.

The%20Beginning9.png

Then a lull, and he could no longer put off his wife, and so they enjoyed each other's company, and sure enough, nine months later, a Daughter was born.

Archi wasn't really attached to this little thing and mostly ignored it. Why? Because his conquests in Brugandy had paid off, a son, Nicholas had been born. From that very moment, even though he wasn't legitimate, Archi knew he was destined to become King of all of Germany.

But, through one thing and another, the peasants were angry. Apparently the savages had strict laws on who was 'clean' and who was 'unclean', and since neither Nicholas or the Girl was born from a Pagan Marriage he had defiled the holy land of the Hill Fort.

The%20Beginning5.png

As it turns out Archi should have cared a lot more. Ten years later Lubeck was struggling and still in Revolt...Blasted Peasants. But we get ahead of ourselves.

Constance produced two more daughters, though one was stillborn and the other one died two days after birth. Archi didn't really care, and continued to play with his son Nicholas. Then, the rioting got bad...it got really bad. The Burghers rose against the Count, there was to be no Catholism for them.

Archi simply picked up his divine wand and shot into the crowd, which dispersed and charged to the local priest for conversion.

The%20Beginning10.png

Unfortunately the damage had already been done, and would take a long time to put right.

Then, for ten years, not much happened:

Archi marshalled his 64 man, and himself, army and marched on Baden when it revolted from the King of Germany...Unfortunately, though its troops fought against his King, he was not able to attack them....Tis a silly place.

Beyond that Constance caught an illness from somewhere...probably the two dead daughters she insisted on sending to heaven. She managed to tear herself away from them, and her illness, long enough to bear another daughter, which Archi dispaired at.

He was now aged 34 years old and had no heir...Even news that the peasants in the countryside had finally stopped moaning about their Pagan laws being broken and accepted the divine power of God did little to raise his spirits. In a rage he sent Nicholas away to the Monastery, though he secretly hoped that while there he would find some loophole in the laws of succession...but no success.

Yet, he continued his marital duty, and soon Constance, her body frail from the illness, was pregnant again. She recieved little sympathy from Archi and spent more and more time in the church...together with all the smelly ex-pagans...In many ways it is no wonder she caught Pnumonia. Of course she got even less sympathy from Archi, and the possibility of a son was the only thing that stopped him from beating her into doing her job as Steward.

A few months later, the child is born...A healthy baby boy...Greg.

With his son born Archi begins to mellow to his wife...though doesn't actually go near her, or let her see 'his' Son. She dies a few months before the city finally re-established some sembalance of day to day life, though now the economy was dire...

The%20Beginning11.png

Archi is actually guilt stricken, something he was not expecting, and vows to treat his next wife better...though...in the end, she(the new wife) brought it on herself.

The%20Beginning13.png

From here, things began to go downhill again.

Bellatrix, the Steward began complaining that she deserves more money. Archi resist the urge to give her a good hiding and sends her away without a penny...back to her job, not out of the castle.

He casts a cursory eye over the maps the Germans keep sending, along with the demands for men for the army. Its fairly clear that Germany will fall. Their child King is inept and his advisors are not much better. He commits himself to rebellion.

The%20Beginning14.png

A sign from God soon follows

The%20Beginning15.png

And within the year, Archi has left the service of the German King, vowing to one day return.

The%20Beginning16.png

A few more years pass, Archi willing the economy to recover...but it doesn't. So, in the hopes of boosting the economy, he starts a war with the Pagans of Mecklebburg. The King of Denmark approved of the initiative and grants Archi the Title 'Duke of Holstien'...though no extra land.

The Pagans prove idiotic, but fierce. After winning the initial encounter, and thus the only encounter, they agree to some interesting terms:

The%20Beginning19.png

This win, apparently entirely unexpected by all sides (except possibly Mecklenburg with their 'Up is down psychology') and Archi made a speech saying 'The Hand of Destiny is at my back'. This inspired some and scared others, and would have dire consequences for the expansion of the realm.

The%20Beginning20.png

Randomly, Uncle Henrik arrives. Perhaps a five times removed Uncle because he isn't in any of the succession trees, nor can we find a blood link to Archi. Yet, there is something vaguely familar about him and, in any case, Edwin is a terrible marshal. Henrik soon proves himself a brilliant tactian, something which he later would admit to have gained from a book called 'On War', though no one got the referance, not even Archi.

(Seriously, totally random guy with a blood shield(indicated relative), but gifthorse, mouth...)

Henrik is sent out to Sweden and comes back with an excellent Chancellor, replacing Bellatrix...though she proves about as loyal and is soon asking for money of her own.

Henrik, unaware that peace has been declared, sets out and attacks Wolgast, a Vassal of the partially insane High Chief of Mecklenburg.

Unfortunately he is also unaware of the ineptitude of the Holstien Army, and is soundly defeated. Unwilling to give up so easily a new army is raised and trained in how to hold a spear, wear armour...and run in a straight line. Unfortunately such ideas rile up the nobles, along with some who dislike the idea of fighting their old breathen...They cleverly rise up while the army is in Rostock and are crushed...though not as soundly as would have been liked, and remain majority Pagan.

The%20Beginning21.png

A sound defeat of Wolgast, but, unfortunately, the Glory Hound that Archi is, he splits off from Henrik's army and heads for Werle, which is on its last legs. Archi attempts to take all the credit for capturing the city, and thus the spoils. But, with an army facing him twice the size of his, he soon backs down to the King of Denmark. In retribution Wolgast is allowed to retain its lands in exchange for a pittance of a tribute to the King himself...But, the King has spoken and Henrik marches home.

The%20Beginning22.png

The situation in in Rostock goes from bad to worse, as does the treasury situation. Mere days after a gift...most of what was in the treasury...is given to the Steward, Smallpox and a theft....There can only be one explaination.

SHE'S A WITCH!

"...And married to ME! Good God, I am bewitched, it is the only possible explaination! I see it all now, knowing I would work it out she stole all the money to pay for the assassin."

"Curse her! now my son, Nicholas, is depressed. Her reach over my life must have extended to before she married me! She must have bewitched me into not marrying his mother when I had the chance! She must have made sure the Duke of Brugandy mistook my letter, and forced Constance to produce only Daughters, save Greg...Perhaps he isn't even mine...Woe! WOE IS ME!"

The%20Beginning23.png

"At last, a blessing, a blessing from the Lord! An ally against the dark witch!"

The%20Beginning24.png

"Rebel? Now? That's just what SHE wants me to do!"

"I have married Uncle Henrik to my Eldest Daughter, Lucyne. I need all the allies I can get! My poor Lucyne, if only you knew of the black magic that made me so distant as a father in your childhood."

The%20Beginning25.png

"Nicholas will never be happy now!!!!!"

The%20Beginning26.png

"IT IS NEAR! MWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Hmmm, what? Yes I want you to dictate me laughing manically. Don't make me use this!"

The%20Beginning27.png

"Freedom! Freedom at last!"

With the black queen dead sanity begins to return to Archi.

But, after a throughly successful, if painful, war, and then a terrible peace negotiation...thanks to the underhanded ways of Harald Svendson Knytling, King of Denmark, Archi vow to become King, so no one would ever dare do such a thing again.

The%20Beginning28.png

With a new wife, throughly checked for Witchcraft connections, a new son is born, Tiberius.

Although Archi is getting on in years, and still has his old vow to commit to, his sons are his true legacy...his one way to protect the future...

Storming into his Father's Office one September eve, Nicholas, a little drunk, demands offical recognition as the Duke's True Heir. Archi tears up and they talk long into the night. In the morning the annoucement is made. For many it is strange only for that reason, it was widely assumed that Nicholas would take his rightful place after Archi's eventual death.

However, God...And others...Do not agree and the very next day Archi is stricken with an infection from his War Wound. Archi takes this as a sign that his work is not done and invades the Tribe of Pomerannia. Meanwhile, Lawrence, Bishop of Rostock is asked to step down in favour of Nicholas, which he, of course, accepts.

The%20Beginning30.png

The Battle of Stettin was Glorious. Marshal Henrik scattered the numerically superior warriors with a fantastic lightshow in the heavens.

But, once again, despite the hundreds of coins spent on the war, the Danish King takes a pittance and calls it off...Now it is getting personal...And Archi and Maddy, his new wife, get personal, with another bun in the oven.

The dark, barren years of his former wife have fully worn off...it would seem.

In Rostock the dark powers are strong as ever though, with smallpox still running rife.

On the lighter side, however, Harold Godwinson is found alive and well in Denmark. On recieving his news England erupts into chaos.

Harold claims to have fooled everyone by adding an extra e to his name and having a 'face lift'.

The%20Beginning31.png

Archi sees Maddy give birth to a beautiful baby girl, and yet another near pointless war is fought. The only benefit to this war is that Denmark was forced to give up the territory it was stealing to block Archi taking some territory.

But, alas, Archi sucumbs to his illness.

The Duke is Dead...Long live the Duke.

The%20Beginning32.png

So then, advisory council, three questions:

1) Should Nicholas now recover from Depression?

a) Yes

b) No

c) He should still be stressed from losing his father.

2) Should Greg(the second son) inherit the seat of Rostock, or should it pass only Father to son?

a) Greg should inherit

b) Greg should inherit, but Nicholas falls with him over it.

c) It is Nicholas' unborn Son's.

d) It is God's Holy Seat in the Dukedom of Holstein. Only those able to read and write will take the Bishopric.

3) The Civil War in England. How serious is it?

a) "Well you can pretty much guess what happened next: The peasants started rebelling, there were uprisings, old master's heads got chopped off."

b) "What happened next happened in two stages: First, the town folk rebelled, not too serious, but slowed down income for the masters. Second, the peasant uprisings in the extreme parts of the country."

c) "The old King is still alive...So?"

[/hide]

Well I knew you wouldn't agree. I know how you hate facing facts.

Ah, so an interactive AAR?

I think

A

A

B

It's a REALLY big shaft.

I didn't catch fire, I used the can of hairspray as a flamethrower and pointed it at my arm.

how are you going to ignore my posts when I'm offering to let you live as my vassal in two weeks time?

1) B

2) B

3) A

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

Former moderator of the original Dungeoneering

Former moderator of Ye Olde Hegemony

Moderator of the remake of Dungeoneering

Former Empress of the Lichten Empire (Hegemony)

Former President of the United States (Hegemony)

Former Emporer of Imperial Japan (Hegemony)

Czarina Catherine of Imperial Russia (Hegemony

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

The Next Generation: 1091 to 1120

[hide]

2.png

With the Dukedom rightfully inherited by Nicholas von Alaric, and the death of his father, Nicholas is finally able to let go of all the emotions that had been weighing him down for so long...Yet, there was one outstanding issue...Greg.

3.png

Not at all pleased at losing his claim to the title, Greg demanded some recognition for his status, and so, begrudgingly, he gave Greg the Rostockian Countship. His wife, Berta, naturally finds this unpallatable and several weeks pass before she says another word to him, though is finally won over when a ball is held in her honour...Yet the ball costs a great deal and soon enough Nicholas is indebted to the local counts, who soon demand a tax raise to cover their debt. Nicholas refuses, unwilling to deprive the peasants of their spare cattle.

4.png

As the nominal taxs trickle in things the local counts grumble at the happy peasants, but for Nicholas such concerns are far away.

5.png

With a child on the way Duke Nicholas looks over the latest reports from England, noting that the war has all but ended, with the Kingdom more or less intact. Yet, while he peruses these reports another enemy, closer to home, is on the march!

6.png

The battle is soon won however, with Marshal Henrik capturing the Island of Rugan in two months. A peace is signed soon after, and the realm shines as an example to its neighbours:

9.png

A success that the young Duke is eager to show off.

10.png

In England the fighting intensifies once again

11.png

And closer to home Jackalyne is born. Mere days later Greg's wife, Mor, is pregnate, and not wishing to be outdone, Berta is soon too.

Nine months later two girls are born.

On the Island of Rugan the peasants abandon their heathen Gods. The news of war to the East, South and North prompting them to chose a rightous God no doubt.

13.png

With Rugan behind them the Armies of Holstien push south into Wolgast, and victory awaits them. Finally, the Duchy of Meckenburg is reunited, and God smiles upon this, blessing Nicholas with a Son, Oliver.

14.png

Soon the Armies of Kola, a vast tribe to the east, and former lords of Wolgast, land, but are repulsed with great ease. The light of God burning the heathens with great ease, acting through the army of the Kingdom of Denmark.

However all is not well in Denmark. The King, Harald Svendson Knytling has been ill with Pnumonia for several years now, and at the ripe old age of seventy he has reigned for nigh on fifty years. His death, shortly after the peace accords are signed with the savages to the east is a bitter blow for Denmark...the end of an Era.

21.png

While the young Count of Holstien, the dead King's Son, struggles to take control of his new realm, the county of Stettin makes an all too fatal mistake in declaring independance. Marshal Henrik, Hero of Holstien, readies his army in Wolgast and crosses into enemy territory one summers morning. The army that faces them is barely fifty men strong, and within minutes the battle is over. But as he settles in for a short siege a runner arrives for the savages within. Henrik shows a slight mercy and puts the man to a quick death before reading his letter...It seems that Stettin has accepted Vassalisation from the Tavasts!

Back in Lubeck two messangers arrives for Nicholas...A declaration of war...and a declaration of peace.

22.png23.png

The spinless Earnest Knytling saw fit to cut short the war with Stettin to focus on the still raging war with Kola. Henrik is agast when the news finally reaches him and instead of returning home he sets sail for Viborg(Finland), home of the Tavasts...There will be blood yet this day!

And yet, there is not. The armies of Tavast are busy engaging the Danish in the Empire of Kola, leaving not even a garrison behind. Henrik sweeps through both counties with decided ease, and in a final deseperate bid to see battle, unilaterally declares war on Kexholm, where his bloodlust is sated, finally.

As Henrik sails home from his extented tour, Nicholas visits his brother in Rostock, and is pleased to note the riots and smallpox epidemic have both ended, but is left with a somewhat bitter taste in his mouth when he is introduced to young Xavia, the son of Greg...

With Oliver and Xavia as heirs to the two half brothers it is unlikely that the Duchy will be reunited anytime soon.

And within a year two more sons are born, one to each of the half brothers, near enough ensuring a parting of ways, though both are also dead before their second birthday. 'So perhaps not.' Nicholas coldly reflects on the news that his half cousin, Elliot, has died.

To the South the Bishop of Altmark declares independance from Germany for the third time in so many years. But this time it is not German troops from Anhalt or Brandenburg that silence the fool, but Danish, crossing the Elbe, Marshal Henrik naturally leading the charge. There is no vassalisation this time, just annexation.

The lands, though riotous and soon to be taken by another, were still holy lands, and Nicholas is left pondering this for some time...Were those reasons reasons enough? Should he have supported the independace of the fool priest?

He didn't know, but was unwilling to surrender the lands merely to have them annexed by another in a few years. Instead he vowed never to take carnal delight for the rest of his life.

17.png

Yet this vow is misconstrewn by Ernst Knytling as a sign of weakeness, and soon troop demands flood in.

25.png

The proud Duke Nicholas von Alaric refuses these demands in the strongest terms. The war with Kola is a hopeless one, one that has raged more than a decade, and has no end in sight. He will not allow his men, brave men, to die on the battlefields to take worthless lands.

The King is not impressed, to say the least and in the months that follow commits nothing but words to Holstien's wars.

In the west young Tiberius, the Duke's other half brother, has been married to the Countess of Luneberg for some years, and following her break with the vast Kingdom of Leon, Duke Nicholas feels it is only right that he protect his half brother's wife, and soon offers vassalisation. She is reluctant at first, having seized Hamburg by herself, but as an army of some six thousand troops approach from Braunschweig, she finally yields, allowing Holstien to come to her aid.

26.png

The war lasts five months, and in that time the armies of Holstien face an enemy three times the size of its own. The only thing standing between them and total defeat is Henrik and the potential relief of Denmark...The latter is not forthcomming.

Instead a masterly win in Luneburg, supported by the small army of Luneburg, leads to a rout of the Army of Leon, and eventual peace for the token tribute of 6 gold peices.

But, with the armies of Leon spent fighting Holstien, and visa versa, the Kingdom of Germany soon declares war on Luneburg and Leon. Only by taking the countship of Luneburg from the Countess could it be saved, and though promised restoration she and her husband fled to Mainz.

On the Northern front Greg and the county of Rostock declared war on Denmark.

28.png

And thus, unable to fight his half-brother and unable to fight his liege, Nicholas left the Kingdom of Denmark for the Kingdom of Germany, and soon this proved a wise decision when he was announced second in line for succession in the Kingdom.

30.png

What was more, within two years a royal marriage to the great granddaughter of the First in line for succession had bore fruit. Though it was Great-Uncle Henrik's line, so it appeared unlikely that, even if young Tom rose to the most powerful vasselship of Germany, the chances of the two wings of Holstien ever joining would be rather unlikely.

31.png

Another two years later Nicholas finally dies of old age, aged fifty three, warm in his bed, a life well spent.

32.png

The Young Oliver von Alaric, aged 21, is now thrust into control of the second larged Dukedom in Germany. What will the future hold?

The Dukedom of 1120:

33.png

The state of things in 1120:

The Kingdom of Germany has been using our troops excessively to put down the rebellions across the Kingdom. However, Oliver, not nearly as much the Pragmatist of his Father is not so willing to allow his troops to be used in this way, and is already incredibly disloyal.

Thusly:

a)

1) 'My Father's Oaths must not be broken!' Allow good Holstien men to die in far off lands, paying full maintance.

2) 'It is for the Kingdom, not the King I do this' Begrudgingly allow Holstien men to die in far off lands, paying bare maintance.

3) 'They may take our lives, but they will never take our freedom!' Revolt.

b) Europe is a land of Kingdoms, and with the French and Danish Kingdoms in England, Leon in Italy and France, and English in Germany and Spain, there seems to be little call for a united block country.

Thusly:

1) 'United we stand, divided we fall' The Lands of Holstien will be limited to just the areas around the Elbe, at least until we gain control of Germany.

2) 'The Line Must be Drawn Here, This Far, No Further' Expansion in such an unstable period seems unwise. We should consolidate, focus on making Germany strong for when we inherit.

3) 'A Mission to Civilise' The throne of Germany is not worth pursuing at this time, we should focus on the heathens of Finland.

c) The Count of Rostock is a bleeding fool!

1) 'Cut off his head! Cut of his Head!' Revoke Greg's right to rule Rostock.

2) 'I don't see what the fuss it about' Nothing happens.

3) 'SEP' Rostock is no longer our vassel.

[/hide]

It's a REALLY big shaft.

I didn't catch fire, I used the can of hairspray as a flamethrower and pointed it at my arm.

how are you going to ignore my posts when I'm offering to let you live as my vassal in two weeks time?

1120 - 1141: You'll be stone dead in a minute

[hide]

Duke Oliver:

1.png

In the wake of his Father's death, Good Duke Nicholas, Oliver finds a Demense that is stable, and a Kingdom that is not. War between Germany and Leon, and Germany and Bohemia rages...And troops are constantly being called up, leaving fields barren. It is only by the great fortunate than Grandfather Archi left specific instructions detailing how greater farming yields could be gathered in times of desperation, keeping the wealth flowing, even in this desperate hour.

These decisions did not, however, go down well with the King, and, in the hopes of one day inheriting tht throne, the measures were dropped, leading to short term starvation, before the ideas were adopted again, in secret.

2.png

Then, merely half a year later, the Old King is found dead, hanging from the rafters. Offical inquiry show it was bandits, but all know that the King, under the pressure of Kingship, couldn't take it any more, and so committed the ultimate sin. In his place the aging Rupprecht d'Ardennes comes to the throne.

In wany ways a poor choice for the Kingdom he inherits, that does not need more war, to more land, but for stability and peace.

Rupprecht gives neither and soon a war with France is started.

3.png

The inheritance of the German throne also folds the Duchy of Lower Lorraine into the Kingdom of Germany, and the Elective Law Nature of the Kingdom means that now Great Great Uncle Henrik's Son's Son (Second Cousin Once removed) will not inherit the Duchy, as was his birthright. Oliver wrings his hands and only hopes that the connection to two Great German families will ensure he will never want for anything.

However, back in Lubeck Oliver decides it is time for decisive action. The war in France, like the war in the East and South, shows all the signs of turning into a stalemate.

4.png

5.png

And through our many morale victories we are able to bring the war to an end, with Rupprecht recieving the province of Besancon.

With peace made the Kingdom is free to concern itself with fighting Leon and Bohemia, making some progress with both. Attention in Lubeck is soon focused elsewhere though, as Uncle Greg declares war, and launches a suprise attack on Lubeck, where Uncle Henrik organises an impromptu milita, and secures the battlefield, but not before taking an arrow to the chest. The wound soon proves debilitating and his son, Thomas, is called up as the new Marshall, with troops from Altmark to finish the battle.

7.png

But, as the siege begins another throws his hat into the ring:

8.png

And Oliver is furious! How dare he! This war, a long time coming, has nothing to do with the Church!

An angry letter is sent and nothing more is said on the matter.

Soon enough Rostock falls and is incorporated into the Demense, and Greg is allowed to remain in Rostock Castle, underguard, until he can find new lodgings.

9.png

"In recognition for his many years of service, Henrik von Alaric, as of this day, November Ninth, in the one thousandth, one hundredth and twenty third year of our lord Jesus Christ, is granted Countship of Kexholm and Vodi, which he himself won from the Finnish Hoards during the reign of my Father, Nicholas von Alaric"

His first action is to appoint wicked uncle Greg as his Diocese Bishop. Good soon takes his vengence and Walpurga is soon dead, wife of Thomas, Henrik's Eldest Son.

10.png

With another year to recover Oliver launches an invasion of Breman, only to have it cut short by King Rupprecht so more troops can be called up for the war with Leon.

The occupied territories strech from Moderna to Lombardia, all of the Italian Holdings of the German Kingdom. With defeat imminent Duke Oliver takes the only step avaliable to him, and consults the moneylenders.

Before the troops even reach the frontline a debt of 500 Gold is run up. Another five months it takes to relieve the lines...Rupprecht venturing as a solid mass of soliders, some twenty thousand strong, against enemies that number not in the thousands but in the hundreds. But, with the threat to the Kingdom gone, costs are cut immediately. A debt of 1,206 Gold now hangs heavy in the air though.

11.png

And yet, within seven months the frontline is perilous once again. Why? The second invasion of Bohemia! A single province, the rump, cut off during the last decade during battles with England and Germany. And now THE ENTIRE German army fights that province! With this 'Great Victory' in hand Rupprecht marches south once again.

12.png

Near completly ignoring the armies of Flanders, that now control the Imperial city.

It is a small miracle that the Kingdom did not collapse there and then!

13.png

There is also sad tidings from the north, Great Great Uncle Henrik, master of the sword, has died. With his Son, Thomas, our Marshall, taking his place.

Una O'Brian soon takes advantage of her Husband's (Oliver) weakened position, demanding an alliance with her Uncle, and the King's First Cousin, by Wicked Greg, Elliot, Duke of Meath and Leinster!

Oliver feels he is increasingly surrounded by idiots, as news reaches him that the battle of Liege, the Imperial City, has failed to retake the city. Truely King Rupprech's reign of Terror cannot be over soon enough.

14.png

One small piece of good news is the death of some unknown relative, Gisela, Duchess of Alsace. After a day of searching the family records Oliver gives up and decides not to send his condolences. The Land quickly comes of increased use as it is given to Rudger von Veldenz, count of Sundgen, a Vassel inherited from Good....Whatever she was....Gisela.

15.png

With his own father technically illegitimate, Oliver chooses to extend common courtesies to all those born outside of wedlock. The decision is not looked kindly upon....In the past Archi's decision was backed by the clear evidence of witchcraft...Now it was to become common?

Oliver sells Wolgast Forest, in compensation, to the Nobles, and is finally back in the black aft near four years...and yet within a month the Church is asking for handouts.

Oliver, remembering the church's interferance in the Rostockian war...and the scathing remarks made in place of Beatification of his father...No the church was plenty rich enough...Plenty rich enough indeed...

19.png

The Kingdom was still in a sorry way. While Oliver attempted to improve relations in the North, with Denmark, in the west and south the Empire crumpled like dried out blood pudding. King Rupprecht continued to fight two wars with one army, making no real headway in either direction. The East, at least, was static, if only because the Papacy and overextended English Empire were unwilling...or incapable...to seize on the German weakeness. While, in the South East, the Kingdom of Croatia was forming...a threat to the Kingdom if ever there was one. It was there and then Oliver made his momentous vow, the vow that the Leader of the Holy Roman Empire could not be chosen by men...Even by men of God. No, only God could choose Kings, only God would not be swayed by promises of titles and of victories that none could achieve.

A King such as Rupprecht could never be allowed to happen AGAIN!

20.png

To the North Svend Knytling scumbles to an old war would, place Harald in charge. The young king, recently returned from the Court of Holstein, a close friend of Oswald von Alaric, future Duke of Holstein.

However he is a sickly child, the Danish Worms thick in his stomach.

But, he has survived many years, and so young Paulyne, the youngest daughter of Oliver, is sent North to learn from the Noble Danish.

Perhaps in responce to this, perhaps having merely waded through the sea of Gold to gind a letter not stuffed with Marks, a letter from Lance von Ratzeburg, Diocese Bishop of Lubeck and perpetual thorn in the side of Oliver von Alaric.

Summoned eastwards, to the Papal Seat of Sieradzko-Leczykie, and there, in no uncertain terms, he decried the Bishop's claims and did so challange Pope Sfondrati that the elderly man did not speak for several hours after.

21.png

On returning to Lubeck a letter of apology lay on the desk, but Oliver merely threw it in the fire. There were other matters to attend to. Matters such as Lance von Ratzeburg.

But, as it turned out, Lance decided that he could not stand having cursed the good name of Duke Oliver any longer.

That he had been so consumed by his incorrectity that he had branded the words 'I was wrong, let all know that Good Duke Oliver is a better christian than I.' then to have shaved his head with a blunt razor and then battered himself to death with the Branding Iron.

Oliver only said 'Tragic' before inexplicably having to leave.

22.png

23.png

With yet another year of war behind them, the pagans of Mecklemburg rose up, only to be savagely put down by local catholics, enraptured by their Duke's Divine Majesty. In return for their loyalty food was sent from Lubeck, aiding the Catholics in their fight and ending the brief riots.

On the Western Front the amassed armies of Germany finaly defeated the child Duke of Flanders, merely eight years old, while the south had returned to the 'Old Frontline' state of being.

As young Oswald comes of age the southern front is again secured by sheer weight of numbers. Meanwhile the illegitimate spawn of Una is bullied at school, and the German rearguard at Cremont is routed.

As Rupprecht again turns to face the hydra that is Leon, Modern and Parvia are attacked, and as they are finally put down, more fresh troops arrive in Genoa, ready for a counter offensive.

24.png

As Winter turns into Spring the Germany army marches North, away from the front lines. When questioned the King answers 'We must make ready for the next Winter Offensive.'

And STILL the German Vassels wait, unwilling to jepodise their great nation just to save a few thousand innocent horses and blacksmith hours from being needlessly given to the peasents.

At home Oliver has taken less of an interest in the war, and is instead considering young Abraham, his second son...The nose is definately wrong...

26.png

But happier times are surely ahead as Oswald marries the improbably named 'Justa Capet', sister to the King of France. Her name however soon proves a useful tool as she is made spymaster for Holstien.

Mere days later Justa has resolved a long outstanding issue:

29.png30.png

And the war with Leon peters out, neither side having made any real progress in the last decade.

To the North Harald, King of Denmark, has died, leaving his only son, Hardknut Knytling to rule. In England several decades of expansion has left the de Normandie line void of male heirs, and so the line dies out, replaced with the de Hauteville line...And still, as death stalks the rulers of Europe, Rupprecht d'Ardennes survives!!! And soon another war is declared...though at least it is a crusade this time.

31.png

With Oliver in a foul mood he is in no mood for the argument that is brought before him, and what began as a brother-sister argument ends in exile. Though soon relents.

32.png

And then, finally, some good news:

33.png

The Wicked King Rupprecht has died. Church bells ring throughout the country. It seems that, while he had suffered many illnesses in his time, fought in many battles, and visited many foreign places, what, in the end, polished off the old King was a simple blow to the head by a low hanging rafter.

Immediately following news of his death, Oliver, King Oliver, called the Reichstag to vote on a matter known as 'Measures of the Liege' at the time, though would later be regarded as the Golden Bull of 1136.

The Measures assigned linear succession rights to the von Alaric family, adopted from the Danish court, ensuring that all titles would go to the strongest child, making important distinction that it was not enough to merely be the Eldest.

Thus limiting the Reighstag's role to choosing between two or three brothers, rather than the bribes and such that had lead to the rise of Rupprecht.

There were, of course, dissenters. A minority, but still sizable, and as Oliver walked away from the former Imperial Palace, at Liege, that evening, he knew that the next few months, maybe years, would be hard...and the Roman people could ill suffer another poor ruler. He now shouldered a heavy burden.

His second act was to secure the East under Ludwing von Steutztingen, the Duke of Bavaria. While he was gruff, and they had never had much cause to talk to each other outside of the Reichstag, he knew him to be loyal, and more importantly, capable. Handing over the Imperial territories in the East Baravia became the Grand Duchy, the first of the three Oliver intended to create.

The East was not a major concern though. The English and Hugarian armies had posed no threat in the past, and the war with Croatia was soon being negotiated away. The last thing Germany needed was a needless war right now.

The South and West would require a short, sharp, war with Leon's Vassels. They needed to be shown the error of their ways at the earliest convinence.

The only further concern in the boarder lands as the extended boarder with France, but they were engaged in war with England, and as long as they did they would prove an annoyance, more than a threat.

The North was, quite simply, not a problem, beyond some of Leon's Vassels.

34.png

35.png

36.png

With the situation summed and in hand, Oliver invited Nandor Csak, Governer of the Republic of Pisa to light refreshments in Liege, still the adminstrative heartland of Germany, despite Oliver's best wishes...Pisa was a large Republic, controlling most of Northern Italy, and had resisted several wars with Leon...If anyone could provoke and hold the Spanish Dogs, it would be Nandor.

The second Grand Duchy was created.

Then, he gave orders that Flanders be restored, and the Imperial Demense in the West was assigned to it's care. The Third Grand Duchy was created.

Together the three Grand Duchies, and the Grand Duchy of Holstien, would form the crux of the German Empire. Ensuring peace and prosperity.

37.png

Within a month Croatia had agreed to peace in exchange for Germany dropping claims on Novagord. A few months later Oliver made peace with the Muslims, and began training his forces for the war with Leon.

As it happened this war began within a year. Leon, now at war with Aragon, and losing dramatically, drew troops from all corners of their empire, leaving the lands themselves undefended. While the former King would not make such a blunder, the new King, a three year old, was in no position to argue with his Marshal, who's only concern was retaking the Royal City.

Even had their armies not been departing, the Grand Duchy of Holstien could take the army, out manning them by over a half.

38.png

When the war began it was minor, far less than any expected, given the perpetual war fought only a half a decade ago. Within six months, though soliders still fought, the fighting was done.

As troops were demoblised, ready for the harvest, with only the army of Moderna and Cremona still fighting the breakaway state of Lucca, a runner from Croatia arrived.

39.png

With glorious victory behind him King Oliver merely shouted:

"How could I resist the chance to fight a real army?"

Before charging forwards, down into the throng of battle.

At his side were his Retainer, and personal guard...and several hangers on, including the Archer Chief of Moderna, leaving his troops in the hands of his less capable lieutenant.

With victory at hand the Luccian army began to flee and the lieutenant ordered his men open fire. As the arrows peppered the battlefield Good King Oliver, saviour of the German people, caught an arrow to the chest, and was dead a few moments later.

40.png

So then, choices:

1) The Byzantine War

a) Not worth fighting.

b) We should honour our Father's wishes and fight with our allies until they stop.

c) CHARGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2) Succession

a) Though many supported Oliver, Oswald, his son, doesn't have the same...aura. We need to re-establish Elective Law, or face decline again.

b) There is no way we can return to Elective Law as it was, a new system must be devised(Please elaborate)

c) There is no reason to change it yet.

3) The war with Leon

a) Now that we have freed the Vassels we should opt for a peace as soon as we can.

b) We have claims on the throne of Leon, it should rightfully be ours!

c) War with our fellow Christian is wrong, we should pay them compensation. (not entirely sure how, since I am 2060 Gold in the hole for some reason)

[/hide]

B, A, A

FaladorTavern.png

Youtube account: Earthgragonsage; currently uploading not an effing thing.

[hide=Memorable Crossroads Quotes.]

Reigan: NO MOOSE CAN SAVE US NOW; ...Had that been taken out of context, it would have been comical... Right now, it's terrifying.

[/hide]

C,B,C

Elaboration on B: Choose the one appointed by the heavens! (Aka the one that we find the funniest)

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

The World At War, 1141-1167

[hide]

1.png

And so it was that, in exchange for paying off the enormace debts accrued in the past Oswald re-established the Riechstag's ability to choose the Leader of Germany. The Document would later become known as the 'Pretio Pacem' or the Price of Peace, and heralded the beginning of a rollback against the late King Oliver, with policies being dictated by the Nobles, while the 'King' was reduced to a simple figurehead.

In those early days Oswald contented himself to redesigning the flag, hunting and playing with his children, John and Osorio.

4.png

7.png

In the Southern reaches of the empire the Battle of Lucca ended with subdued victory and Oliver's body began the long journey northwards to Lubeck.

2.png

But there were few people there to greet the body when it arrived and it spent several hours housed in a pigshed before becoming 'Lost'. It wasn't until several weeks later that Oswald was even told that his father's body had been returned to Lubeck, and beging effectively under house arrest meant that the body stayed lost.

As the weeks turned into months a steady routine developed in the von Alaric household, with time with the Children starting the day, then rubber stamping over lunch and into the early afternoon, and then martial practice until the evening.

During this time the nobles began to build a huge series of fortifications, somewhat ingeniously designed with a double wall system allowing the Lord of the castle to protect himself from his own men, should the need arise...For the truth was, beyond the happy home like of Holstenhafen times were hard...

3.png

9.png

10.png

In the wake of the 'Pretio' there were many who wished the Olivarian reforms to have continued. The revolts that gripped the nation were, fortunately, limited to the peasantry and the upstart ruler of Brandenburg, allowing for the united noble and vassel armies to take charge and put down the insurgence.

5.png

By the beginning of 1143 the years under Oliver were systematically reduced to a footnote in the chronicals, so reduced that years later not a mention of him could be found, except for in the monastic archives...and even then only a few detailing his reign.

The effect was to turn the man into a Myth, a hero to the peasantry, who would often be found wandering the countryside with his band of merry men, giving food to the needy and taking it from the wicked nobles and crafty merchants. But that would take a few more years, in 1143 a crusade was called to retake Orbetello from the Muslims, ostensibly there were religious connotations as well, but mostly it was to help the ex-count Ciuccio Sforza in return for taxation rights.

Still, it was dubbed a crusade to collect dues from the Church, and once Oswald got wind of it he set off to lead it. The Nobles, convinced that the month or two long excursion would prove to the young King that he was better off at home, allowed it.

Indeed they had been providing him with status updates on the Croatian war, showing how terrible it would have been had he not wisely given up his father's foolish ambitions in that direction.

8.png

However the Oswald relished in the battle for Orbetello, and was only sorry that it was over too quickly. The nobles, keen to show the luxury side of things, in case future excursions were to be happened upon, took him to Roma, where he met the then Pope Peire de Bourbon, or Pope Celestine II as he was offically known. A chance comment about the holy land soon had Oswald obsessed and rashly promised Celestine II that the Kingdom of Germany would liberate the whole of Jerusalem!

The nobles were, of course, outraged. But, there hands were more or less tied by Oswald's promise and so an expedition of 10,000 men was commissioned and the force set out in late April, arriving a few months later in Jaffa.

11.png

From there march to Amman took until just before the end of the year, with no resistance to be faced. It seemed that the Sultan of the Hammadids was engaged in a long war with the Sultan of the Turks, and had left the Holy Land undefended, and what was more, stripped of troops.

12.png

As the war drew to a close the King grew restless, having travelled across the world to find battlefields as barren as the rosebushes he never tended to. The nobles, by comparison, were overjoyed that the campagain was over so easily and quickly, and, what was more, with so much prestige and gratitude from the Celestine.

But their pleasure soon turns to dismay as a letter arrives saying that King Oswald requests two years of supplies to be dispatched immediately for the purposes of conquering the entire holy land. The supplies are begrudgingly sent when it is pointed out that should the King die in the Holy Land a new King would need to be elected...and none of them quite trust each other not to take complete control.

And, true to his word, within two years the Kingdom of Jerusalem is captured.

16.png

15.png

With the once great Muslim nation of the Hammadids reduced to a handful of provinces surrounding the Persia Gulf.

14.png

And still the King hungers for more. The Emirate of Medina and Mecca call to him, and by the end of march the armies wait on the frontiers, ready to march onwards.

18.png

But the nobles delay, complaining about revolts, and riots, and wars in Europe...but none of this is paid any heed and soon letters containing phrases as 'Will take great pleasure in stripping the next person to send me excuses not supplies of their titles' got the supplies moving. The Nobles and Vassels, nominal rulers of Germany for the past half decade, were now laid low by letters from the Holy Land.

17.png

But the nobles were not done yet, the prestige garnered over the last few years was put to good use and Germany was given advanced status within the Papal States. Using that power they declared the crusade at an end.

19.png

The paperwork was mounding, and the Imperial Demense was spawling and overburdened, much of the wealth that should have been theirs...er...the King's was being lost to highwaymen, and stories among the peasants began to circulate that it was the late King, not actually dead, but betrayed by the Nobles. Bards soon travelled the lands singing the ballads of Oliver, the one in Yellow Tights, a master swordsman and archer, who robbed from the rich to give to the poor, and who was hunted by the evil Duke Ludwig von Steutzlingen, of Bavaria.

Of course little of this was known by Oswald and soon letters began arriving declaring that a new crusade must be started, that Alexandria must now be saved!

20.png

The nobles decide enough is enough and Helie de Villaret, Grandmaster of the Knights Templar, is given leave to take up the cross in stead of the King.

21.png

The King, less than impressed by this returns to Germany for two months before returning to the Holy Land with another 10,000 men.

With dizzying battle for the Holy Land raging the rest of the Kingdom continues to slide towards anarcgy, but there seems to be no end in sight as ever more Arabs rush to defend their lands, and Germany's bottomless pockets ensure that Christians are always there to meet them.

22.png

But those bottomless pockets soon find bottoms as things deteriorate further...Plauen, Passau and St Gallen all declaring independence and the Demense returning less and less in the way of funds.

25.png

24.png

But all of this matters little to Oswald, who recieves regular payments for indulgencies from the Vatican, and now stands on the edge of Mecca, ready to take the city, now and forever.

26.png

The epic battles that had eluded him in Italy and the Northern Holy Land were densely packed in the final months of the crusade, with there being many moments where all seemed lost, only for a band of knights to charge out and drive the Muslims from the battlefield.

And thus, after many years across the seas, Oswald returned and began to administer the Empire once again.

Marshal Jen von Alaric, of Henrik's line, was appointed as the Duke of Jerusalem and tasked with protecting and adminstering the Holy Land.

27.png

After some three years of uneventful war the armies of Germany arrive in the breakaway state of Ulm, ready to retake the province. Then they move on to St Gallen, then Passau, then Ansbach...But this final province proves a touch paper for full blown civil war!

28.png

Or treason at least. Wurttemberg quickly folds under the pressure of the German army, and King Oswald uses the fact that an army has already been raised as a reason to invade the tribes of Prussia, which itself is an excuse to launch a much wider invasion of Kola.

29.png

But it would seem the civil war is not yet done, and before his troops have even conquered one province, he is requested back in Lubeck for emergency measures. Thus consoling himself with Marienburg and Chelminskie, Oswald turns his attention to administration once again.

The Civil War, as it turns out barely happens, with just the occassional uprising every time a boat is commissioned or an army raised for an expedition. Eventually Oswald just gives up and suffers the tedium of a few years paperwork and playing with the children.

In mid may 1152 new reaches Oswald that his wife's brother has sent his heir to the court of Hainault, one of the German provinces boarding France. The boy is the heir to all of France and with his Father, the Queen's Brother, ill -as rumour has it- it is unlikely that another son will spawn.

Thus, should the boy die, young John would be near assured of the French Throne...

However, the situation is not without risk. Should he inherit the French Throne before the Nobles can be strong armed into electing him Ruler of Germany then he would no longer be eligable...Cursed Elective Law.

30.png

The Queen is not best pleased, and relations with France grow ice cold...Fortunately they are already at wat with Hungery and England, so they would be ill advised to start another war...

But the attack, when it comes, comes from an unexpected direction...

31.png

And is met with overwhelming force...

32.png

With that little misadventure behind him the tediousness returns for another month before Oswald is unable to contain his desire to flight and challanges one his Father's old friends to a duel to the death. When he refuses Oswald lays claim to his titles and invases Denmark...ignoring Denmark's alliance with England, who fortunately chooses not to take part.

The war with Denmark is reaching its crashing cresendo in mid August, 1153, and yet Oswald is back at home, presiding of the re-creation of the Grand Duchy of Holstien

33.png

With John finally a man, Holstien ceases to be part of the Imperial Demense.

While he is home the nobles approach him with a united front, the Crusade has to be called off. Egypt has been left unchanged for near a decade and Germany is considered a laughing stock for being unable to deal with a single Muslim nation.

34.png

With that final peice of paperwork done the King raises an army in Mecklemburg and attacks Werle, one of the few tangible benefits to this war is bringing an eighty year old claim to good use. It is soon incorporated into the Grand Duchy of Holstien

35.png

But those eighty years have reduced Danish Holdings to a mere pitance of what they once were, and so, without any great effort Hardknut Knytling is forced to surrender the Danish Crown and is soon reduced to just the Duchy of Pomeralia.

36.png

37.png

Yet, before even a year of peace a new war is joined, this time against France. An earlier request by Count Berthold von Stolzenburg, count of Verden, had gone unheeded and France had extracted vast indemnities...But now, with Hungery menacing France, and the considerable threat of France passing to John before it should, and his first son becoming King of a decaying wretch of a country...there was only one action open to them.

In the open stages of the war, when things were simple, the province of Dauphine Viennois, in South Eastern France, was hotly contested, with the battlefield changing hands several times in the opening months...but, eventually, German weight of numbers won over French skill and the province was taken. This costly delay meant the war in the South achieved very little.

In the North, however, the French presence was far smaller and brushed asside within a month of arrival. From here the armies marched to the English Channel, taking all that stood against it...But as Oswald marched through the French Kingdom it became more apparent that this Kingdom was dying. Britanny and Orleans had already broken away from the Kingdom and England controlled much of Normandy.

Over the course of a year the North, and the boarderland regions were stripped from France, and as the war began to turn, what with Hungery's withdrawal from the war a treaty was drawn up. In exchange for claims on two Dukedoms, one in Ireland, the North of France-what was left of it- and Venezia was surrendered into the care of the German Kingom.

39.png

But the German Kingdom itself was suffering from internal strife as well, and it was a three sided battle.

The Olivandians were the main foe, representing a small number of Nobles who believed that that Von Alaric family was destined to rule, backed by most of the peasantry. The second side, known as the Oswaldians, took the opposite line, that it was the Reichstag that elected the Von Alaric family, and therefore the Reighstag knew best.

The final side is the side to which Oswald actually belonged...A side he liked to call, Germany.

Though both of the other sides claimed that he actually supported them....At only 41 years old he had accumulated more crowns for Germany than his collective predecessors had since the fall of the Roman Empire. Further his war with France had not been a disaster, on the contrary, he had conquered the Ile de France, the capital for centuries... The Holy Land, too, was in Catholic hands thanks to Oswald...

Truely, he was chosen by God to lead.

40.png

By Late 1157 dissent had been fermenting long enough and things began to come to a head with Holland and Osnabruck, two Olivandian Lords, declared independance, followed by Ansbach, Thuringen, Julich, Sticht, Oldenburg and Ulm, but headlined by the Duchy of Schwaben, the most influential supporter of the Olivandian cause.

Each time the revolts were put down, but the lords allowed to keep their titles...proof, some argued that Oswald was secretly an Olivandian. But, after Schwaben the efforts ebbed out and the Oswaldians seemed dominate.

But this was short lived. Two days before Christmass 1159 Genoa, a stanch Oswaldian declared war on Pomeralia. Pomeralia called in England, and Genoa called in Germany.

Merely days later a plan to improve the state of affairs within the kingdom turns out to be a pyramid scheme. Some 4,000 gold in debt, at war with the second most powerful nation in the world, many fear the end of Germany is neigh...Others revel in it.

Further distress is caused when, just two weeks later the long serving Pope Celestine II dies, and Galicia becomes the new Papal Controller, a Vassal of England.

The world descends into what is later called the First World War, a war in which all that is civilised attacks everything else that is civilised.

41.png

England starts the war fighting Leon and Germany, but by the second year Leon has joined England against Germany, and Scotland too has waded in to help their English breathen.

The Danish are soon removed from the war, and with them most of the central European fighting ebbs out.

Germany squeezes the English vassals to the East and West, while England fights Pisa in Iberia.

As the third year of the conflict rolls into being the Kingdom of the Zirids attacks Pisa, and Germany is brought into the war, and is soon sending troops out to African Tunis.

As the war in Iberia begins to heat up with 20,000 German soliders in the mix Byzantium offers an alliance, which is readily accepted, and peace with Leon is taken, allowing for a successful campaign against England, liberating all of the occupied Pisa and adding two provinces to thier demense.

Out in the East the County of Kexholm, one of the two remaining from Henrik's reward, declares independance after it it taken by the son of one of his daughters.

the Iberian war continues to be the focal point with England, Leon and several Arab States declaring war in the fifth year of the conflict, the first two in violation of their treaty with Germany.

Alsace and their Lord's of Genoa are soon at war with Hungary and we are forced to intervene, rousing the Barvian beast from its long slumber and beginning a three year invasion which achieves nothing but dead Hungarians.

The war in Iberia dries up just before the peace is signed in Hungary, with England and Leon unable to sustain the war, as Scotland has invaded England and is making good progress south.

France too wades in, but is swiftly beaten back by England and Scotland working in Tandum, and two white peaces are drawn up.

The Danish attack Norway and may good headway before being resoundingly defeated during Germany's interlude of 1164 to 1165.

The Arab nations in Jerusalem are the first to bring Germany back to the war, and with Jen's death his son Edwin has taken over, a cruel tyrant, incapable of fighting. He is propped up by Oswald, but soon Oswald tires of protecting a land which he no longer holds dear. His arms tired of holding the sword against France and Hungary.

Hungary again attacks, and again no progress is made in either direction, though the war remains open.

Set against all of this has been a steady stream of Olivandian uprisings, and, for the first time, a few Oswaldian uprisings, those seeking to fufill the Reichstag's duty of passing the throne of Germany to John before he reaches the age of 30.

The situation has a certain growing ludicrousness, but it cannot be ignored, and Oswald throws himself at all the problems, the divine will of God protecting him from their arrows, swords and axe blades, and finally, in late 1166 the threat of Civil War seems to ebb away.

But half a year remains before our tale ends, in that time Denmark attacks again, and is repulsed, and England looks to be gearing up for another war...and finally, it is all too much.

42.png

Late on August Eighth, while conducting drills with the army in Lucca, not far from the deathsite of his Father, a massive heartattack hits Oswald. He is immediately rushed to bed, but he is dead by morning. His body, is taken, not to Lubeck, but to Venezia, and not buried, but mummified, the techniques passed on by Muslims from the Holy Land. Then he is put on display, inside an open crypt at Pacem House.

Whether this strange curiousity will catch on, or whether, with Osward dead, and John now gone thirty, a mystical number for some reason, the entire German Empire will come crashing down...

[/hide]

Decisions:

Only one this time.

1) The Innevitable State Of Europe:

John von Alaric (Or his children) are almost certain to inherit France, and when that days comes the nature of the German Nation will change with it.

A) The State of Europe:

Salic Consanguinity - Male Heir with the Most Power Inherits.

Feudal Contract - A system for ordering society around relationships derived from the holding of land in exchange for service or labour.

Regal Supremacy - The King is the head of the Church.

B) The New Roman Empire:

Salic Primogeniture - Eldest Male Heir Inherits.

Royal Preorgatory - A system for ordering society around relationships derived from God, through the King.

Church Supremacy - The Church rules unquestioned.

C) The League of Nations:

Elective Law - Strongest Vassal Inherits.

Traditional Customs - A system for ordering society around what already exists.

Ecclesical Balance - The Church is semi-autonomous.

Pssh, recreate the empire of Charlamagne!

C :)

It's a REALLY big shaft.

The Crucible - 1167 to 1180 John and Luke von Alaric.

John von Alaric

[hide]

1.png

By mid 1167 the Kingdom of Germans crossed the world, from the Baltic to the Adriatic, from Wales to the Holyland - Iberia and Scandinavia...

The First World War had be so named as no part of the map had been spared the war, but as John took up the reigns he made an observation:

'In the future all wars of Germany shall be world wars, for Germany is the world.'

These stark words set the tone for the next thirty years.

2.png

To John the Holyland and the upstart Duke of Jerusalem, Edwin von Alaric, were more trouble than they were worth, while the young Luke was a distraction - to be protected yes - but the child was tiresome and soon was in the care of a regency council, administrating the Grand Duchy of Holstien.

While King John sat bored at in Venezia, the current Imperial City, James of Mar, a long serving solider, risen to notice in the Early First World War, now stormed the Hungarian army at Nitra; a bold battle, against far superior numbers, some fifteen and a half men at arms arrayed against just ten thousand Germans. But the battle was won, and the ensuing chace across Hungary left the armies of Hungary powerless to halt the march of Marshal James of Mar!

3.png

The war would last another two years, ending with the symbolic surrender of Pressburg, the Hungarian Royal Seat, during which time Jon was stuck dealing with the religious fallout of abandoning the Holyland, eventually convincing him that the church was as self serving as the nobles and thus introduced a dozen new laws to make the Church pay.

5.png

A stance that was recieved none to favourably in Sieradzko-Leczyckie, the Papal Seat...Not that John took a great deal of interest, the Papacy had been increasingly viewed as a Polish Kingdom, with the Vatican all but abandoned, though still in Papal hands.

Pope Borzylaw makes a series of noises, but nothing comes of it and the Papacy looks increasingly weaker as John launches an invasion of Egypt and refuses the Papal Banner for the Crusade that had been called to retake Alexandria, offically citing that the war was to show that none could threat Germany's Vassels and get away with it.

6.png

However, the successive wars - it being just three months since the Hungarian defeat signalled the end of the First World War - had left the coffers empty. Thus King John did his Imperial Duty and married the Jenne, Steward of Apulia as they took on provisions there.

The Egyptian army, such as it was, was routed inside a year and soon the annexure began

7.png

At home Ludwig von Steuzling died and, with no heir, the Grand Duchy of Bavaria passed to Benhard von Saarbrucken, an objectionable fellow that demanded near two thousand gold marks or he would revolt and join the Kingdom of Hungary!

The money was duely paid by Steward Alyce and Steward Alyce was duely exiled when John was informed of events.

A month later, in December, the count of Wurttemburg and Maan made a similar request and soon found his demense reduced to Maan...His name? Johann von Saarbrucken. Indeed and objectionable family by all accounts.

But, with the political drama in Central Europe plays out the military drama in Egypt reaches a terrifying climax as John is taken ill! The condition rapidly deteriorates and John is near death by Febuary 1171, when, Aminaeos arrives. The muslim physican is a last ditch effort to cling onto life, and by some miracle, it works. Aminaeos is offered the title Court Physican and joins the royal entourage.

8.png

9.png

The successes in the sub-Holy Land soon draws the attention to the English King Boremond, his eyes set on the isle of Malta, and soon has dragged Germany into a war with the Zirids. A war John has no intention of fighting, since there is no benefit to Germany, and so rather than renew the offensive he appoints Thomas von Kiel as Duke of Cario and travels to Montpellier to attend the Feast of St Jude, as the chief claiment on the French Throne. But several accidents involving pots of boiling oil and his guards convince him to leave early. This, unfortunately plays straight into the hands of the highwaymen...what they don't count on is the lightening reflexs of John von Alaric and he single handedly fights off several of them, sustaining only a sever wound to his right leg, which quickly becomes swollen and leaves him unable to walk.

10.png

By early January 1172 the muslim nations have declared Jihad to retake Alexandria...A Jihad that throws most of its weight against Jerusalem, while Germany attacks the Island of Sicily and Crete.

11.png

12.png

England spends the war bogged down in Spain and achieves little, and so, for the most part, it is a time of rest and renewal for John.

December 18th marks the end of that though. Thomas von Kiel declares independence and declares himself a Protestant, and the King's leg swells to almost triple its normal size in two days, slipping into a coma three days later before finally dying five days after that.

The end, when it comes, is not in glorious battle, but ebbing away over the course of eight days.

13.png

[/hide]

Luke von Alaric 1174-1180

[hide]

15.png

With the Kingdom facing no war, no political divide...or other challange to its supremacy, the transition to Luke's Kingship is met with little resistance and the first two years of his reign are spent in the White Forest (Masovia, Poland), hunting.

The 'Happy Time' was, though, an elaborate cover for secret negotiations with the Pope Borzyslaw von Lovenstien...among other things...to allow for a second marriage.

While scripture was clear on the subject Borzyslaw eventually relented rather than face an increasingly hostile Germany...A War with the Papal States might very well tear the Kingdom apart, but it could be sure that if Germany willed it the Papacy could be so weakened as to affect the downfall of Catholism...as Paganism had fallen beneath the Germanic Tribes...And then the Muslims would come...

The situation resolved, though, attention was turned to the Kingdom of France, where the daughter of the last remaining daughter of Acfred Carpet, King of France, had birthed a son. What was more the old Queen had died of old age, and the nubile replacement was with child!

The German court spang into action, marching into the French Palace at Montpellier, slaughtering the guards and destroying villages on the way, and killing the Grandson and Wife of Acfred in broadest daylight.

14.png

French retribution was easily batted asside, but gave Luke perfect opportunity to occupy Montpellier and place the French King under house arrest.

The French Crown was German in all but name.

With France dealt with the German army, which had been alerted during the occupation, turned south to Apulia and Capua. Marshal James of Mar led the charge again, and again the day of German.

16.png

There was trouble brewing closer to home though.

The German Vassels had long been at odds with the King and his Polygomy, though there was little to be done about it when the Pope refused to oppose it, and had even sanctioned it...But rumours were spreading thick and fast that the King's appetites went far beyond the allure of women, and now Spy Master Ziemowit, a 'Confirmed Bacholer' was making secret trips to Karol's bed chambers. The King appointed Ziemowit to look into the allegations which only confirmed what everyone secretly knew, and brought the Reichstag to the brink of civil war!

17.png

But...there was no strong successor.

Ludwig, in Bavaria had grown increasingly hostile to all sides. Nandor of Pisa was ineligible, which would only promote civil war, along with being less than willing to revolt, even in light of the revelations.

The final option was Alsace, which lacked the manpower, money and sheer political ability to effectively lead a civil war against Luke.

Into the crucible had been cast four rulers, and now, as the impurities surfaced only the most impure was found not to be wanting.

While the Reighstag fought itself, Luke ordered the assassination of Etitenne de Cornouaille, Duke of Britanny...and Father of Charles de Cornouaille, Duke of the German Duchy of Apulia.

18.png

At a single stroke the English presence in France was reduced by a half.

And still the Reichstag was incapable of action, prompting the Chuch to take matters into its own hands...a mtter that Luke responded to with trade mark savageness.

19.png

The Church was sent reeling and Borzyslaw, facing a complete loss of face, demands Luke meet him in the White Forest for an immediate resolution of anomolies most perverse.

In his place a hundred knights meet and slaughter the Papal entourage and Borzyslaw is warned that if war with the Papacy is innevitable then it is innevitable.

As the Pope weighs up war with Germany, against being relegated to a political non-entity, Luke turns his attentions to Iberia, taking first Arragon then Navarra.

20.png

Into this come fresh rumours and soon a lesser vassel cannot stand it any longer and declares war. Luke responds characteristically. This Bishop of Mantua, Gillemicheal de Labourd, has his feet and hands cut off and his eyes gouged out, though miracously surviving to be stripped of his titles and sent into exile.

22.png

The Iberian War continues at apace with Valladolid falling, and a battle with the Muslims of North Spain being forced to allow safe passage across their territory. Here the war with Leon and the Kingdom of Navarra is declared, and soon their Palaces captured and they are forced to flee to Sevilla and Limosine, respectively.

23.png

But it is also here that the impurities finally release their toxins and the crucible hisses violently.

King Luke overextends and attacks the Shiekdom of Mertola.

24.png

25.png

26.png

Between may the 9th 1180 and June the 4th 1180 the situation deteritorates exponetially. Heinrich von Altenbaumberg sounds the start of the revolt in Lombardia, the army of Leon rallies at Porto, turning back the German army in Northern Iberia, in Southern Iberia the death of Marshal James in Merlota, in Pisa the death of Nandor Csak and the rise of his son Istvan Csak-the Intolerable.

This all coincided with the final dregs of the treasury being emptied, forcing the calling of the Estates General, and event not done in half a century.

27.png

The second part tommorow. (Played out, written up, images catalogued and placed...only the typing up remains and I am exausted)

[/hide]