Computer crashes whenever I play RS

kriscius

Hi guys! So I have a problem. Whenever i play Rs, my computer crashes randomly, so I have to restart it. I didn't have this problem before. Does any of you know what could be causing this problem? I would really appreciate your help. Sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum.

Could be due to overheating, as Raiouken said. Turn off your computer, open it up and clear out any dust in there.

If that fails, have a look at this thread and try some stuff in there, although I'm not sure how much help they will be in your situation.

RIP TET

original.png

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

I love it, how everyone here is trying to provide answers without even knowing what the problem is.

What are the full specifications of your PC? What happens when it crashes? Does everything on the screen just stop moving? Does the screen freeze with sound looping? Does sound get cut off? Does it restart itself automatically? Do you get a bluescreen error? If you get any errors, what do they say (exact wording)? How long has this been occuring? Have you made any changes to any settings or installed any programs before this started happening? Is your computer experiencing issues when attempting to do anything else? If so, did these errors start occuring at the same time as the RS-related crash? Can you run other Java applications?

I'll have more for you after you've answered those.

Fyi, this is one of my jobs.

I love it, how everyone here is trying to provide answers without even knowing what the problem is.

That sentence is funny to me considering the last few people having crashes while playing video games were solved when the OP cleaned out his/her computer or checked to see if his system is overheating or reinstalling software. You don't exactly need to have a Doctorate in computer sciences to offer advice for a problem like this.

FYI, I work as a tech in a university too.

randomkcopyq.png

It's 2.6 Ghz 1gb Ram desktop computer. I didin't have this problem until I reinstalled my computer (well like a week after reinstalling my pc). It just freezes. All the lights on the keyboard start lighting up randomly (the way they randomly light up when i turn on the pc and it is loading). I have this problem only when playing rs. I downloaded speedfan and it says that my CPU temp is ~80 degrees Celcium. Is that a lot for a computer? I'll try to clean it.

It's 2.6 Ghz 1gb Ram desktop computer. I didin't have this problem until I reinstalled my computer (well like a week after reinstalling my pc). It just freezes. All the lights on the keyboard start lighting up randomly (the way they randomly light up when i turn on the pc and it is loading). I have this problem only when playing rs. I downloaded speedfan and it says that my CPU temp is ~80 degrees Celcium. Is that a lot for a computer? I'll try to clean it.

That's rather hot. You should open it up and clean it out - chances are it's clogged full of dust. Clean out all of the fans. Be careful not to touch any components though.

The problem explained by OP shows classic characteristics of overheating. Of course, there are a multitude of things that it could be, as is the case with any computer problem. However, seeing as overheating has been the cause of many similar problems described in these forums, and also the fact that your average person doesn't really think about dust accumulating in their computer, suggesting cleaning it out is a very simple step which will probably solve the problem. Of course, if that doesn't work I'm always happy to help out troubleshooting.

RIP TET

original.png

Download Speccy and post up your entire configuration, shows temperatures as well.

http://www.piriform.com/speccy/download

Very likley a heating issue, as advised above using a can of compressed air while the computer is off clear any dust accumulating in your computer. Your CPU is just way too hot when it runs at 80° C so make sure to spend extra effort to clean that out well. It could also be a RAM problem, but after the clean we can see other options.

Good luck.

randomkcopyq.png

Well it must have strong bones then :P

But yeah, get some compressed air and spray the fans and heatsinks out.

Getting lucky is all well and good but it could have been an entire assortment of problems. The word "crash" isn't amazingly descriptive.

It turns off, essentially. I agree that's not particularly descriptive. It does suggest a wide variety of causes, one of which is overheating. It is more likely to be overheating than one of an assortment of obscure causes, and the fact that most people don't habitually clean their computer from dust makes overheating even more likely.

RIP TET

original.png

Well i sprayed the pc with an air compressor, but it still crashed 2 times, and it seems, that the temp. is the same (~80 Celsius). However, it only crashes when playing rs, I could leave the pc on for the whole night (not playing rs) and it wouldn't crash.

In that case it looks like your heatsink (cooler) for your CPU is either not working correctly or that the thermal paste allowing the heat transfer from your CPU is drying out (which makes it overheat). I wouldn't be surprised if this was a relatively old computer. You can purchase a 3rd party cooler which means it allows for lower temperatures and keep your CPU running smoothly, normally computers come with "stock coolers" which are usually just minimal and gets the job done. Spending another 20-50 dollars on another cooler will do your computer good and keep it running healthy. I'm not sure about your knowledge in computer parts so you have a few options.

Your options now:

-Read my post above and download Speccy to give up a complete list of your hardware configuration and we will help you replace the CPU heatsink or reapply fresh thermal paste.

-Take it to a professional and explain exactly what your problem is. You will save money if you allow us to recommend a heatsink that will work perfectly and all you have to do is take it to him and ask him to change it. This prevents the Tech from ripping you off buy purchasing some ridiculously expensive one ect.

Just for reference we are talking about this piece on your motherboard, it may look different depending on your model.

heatsink4.jpg

randomkcopyq.png

Seeing as it only crashes when playing RS, it seems to be something to do with the graphics. We'll need that speccy screenshot for temps as well as to find out if there is a discrete graphics card. It could be just overheating, but the graphics card could be dieing too.

RIP TET

original.png

Seeing as it only crashes when playing RS, it seems to be something to do with the graphics. We'll need that speccy screenshot for temps as well as to find out if there is a discrete graphics card. It could be just overheating, but the graphics card could be dieing too.

Don't forget RuneScape uses a massive percentage of your CPU, so it can easily cause overheating.

j0xPu5R.png

Don't forget RuneScape uses a massive percentage of your CPU, so it can easily cause overheating.

That's very true. Is it just me or is runescape poorly coded and takes up massive %ages of CPU and GPU? Or is that just what is required for such a game.. Or it could be perhaps that is it is coded in a variant of java, which is a bad choice for such a massive game.

RIP TET

original.png

That's very true. Is it just me or is runescape poorly coded and takes up massive %ages of CPU and GPU? Or is that just what is required for such a game.. Or it could be perhaps that is it is coded in a variant of java, which is a bad choice for such a massive game.

It's definitely java that's the issue. Java is nice for smaller-scale stuff, but it scales HORRIBLY. Case in point: Minecraft. Excellent game, but open too much land and you really need more of everything just to function.

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

OPEN WIDE HERE COMES THE HELICOPTER.